frank trying to play schedule maker

Cowboy

-from ksdk's website, frank's take even if he doesn't understand we won't meet in stl in this season's tourney (he needs to read this board!!!)

-i don;t care if mizzou plays us or not, if they think the game is not good for them so be it, who would be able to change their mind... perhaps a BIG wallet??? not even sure of that

St. Louis (KSDK) -- With the outstanding start for both the Mizzou and SLU basketball teams, people are looking down the road to the possibilty of the teams facing each other in the NCAA tournament and whether these teams should be playing more often.

Frank Cusumano explained on Today in St. Louis why he thinks these standout basketball team's should play.

Commentary:

I am only certain of a few things in life: Larry Bird's jump shot, my mom's cooking, and there is no downside to Mizzou and SLU playing each other in college basketball.

Right now, they avoid other like Chris Brown and Rihanna.

They played each other three times about a decade ago.

It didn't work out well - that's if you don't like packed houses, pulsating finishes and picturesque college basketball environments.

I guess in a bad economy with a lot of sports choices it's much better for Mizzou to play William and Mary like they did yesterday and win by 38, or for SLU to face Alabama State on Saturday and win by 30.

If you watched more than 30 minutes of either of those games, you may need a family, hobby or a job.

I admit I am basketball junkie, and I can't watch those games where teams come in and donate blood.

They get punctured, they get a paycheck and then they take a plane out of town.

It's okay for Marquette to play Wisconsin; it's all right Louisville to play Kentucky, but it's not okay for Mizzou to play SLU.

Now to be honest with you, SLU wants the game and Mizzou doesn't. Or they haven't. The theory is Mizzou is the better program; they have everything to lose and nothing to gain. Mizzou is the better program: better tradition, better conference, and better television package. But if they lose a game, does it suddenly hurt their illustrious program in recruits' eyes.

Look, if I was a great high school basketball player and Mizzou were recruiting me, I wouldn't say ''oh I am not going to Mizzou because they lost to SLU. I am going to Mizzou for the great tradition, the Golden Girls, the journalism school and the Golden Girls.

One loss doesn't destroy a program.

And I gotta tell you, as good as Mizzou is, and I think they have legitimate Sweet 16 potential, SLU would show up and play. They are 10 and one for a reason with wins over teams from the BIG 12, PAC Ten, BigEast and ACC. And they would be the one that would have a coach on the sideline with 500 wins and a Final Four on his resume. Rick Majerus kind of knows what he's doing.

Look, I love Mizzou. Kim English is my favorite player and Frank Haith is the most engaging coach the program has had in years, but play the game!

So what if Mizzou wins two out of three, which would likely happen. What also would happen is we would have basketball passion. I know you can't get enough of Mizzou and Kennesaw State and SLU and Illinois-Springfield. I mean its call the neighbors and wake up the kids when those games are played. The only people who can make these two teams play now is the selection committee for the NCAA Tournament. The Midwest Regional Final will be played at the Edward Jones Dome. I think 11-0 Mizzou will be here, and who knows about 10-1 SLU?

Kentucky wouldn't play Louisville for 20 plus years. Then in 1983, they met in the NCAA tourney. They have played every year since.

That's what we need - the NCAA to break the ice. And then when the game is over, each side will realize they didn't get cooties, but they did make the sports world go crazy.

KSDK

Frank and Kilcoyne have beenadvocating for the two teams to meet for quite awhile on their show. Every time they interview someone from either school, they push for the matchup. This year, the game would sell out the Edward Jones Dome. My vote is certainly for an annual game. I think it would be great for recruiting for both teams and the fans would be there every year. They wouldn't have to do it like Mizzou does the Border War with Illinois where every game is here in St. Louis . A home & home set up, so that each team gets to be the host in alternating years would be fun for both campuses.

Frank and Kilcoyne have beenadvocating for the two teams to meet for quite awhile on their show. Every time they interview someone from either school, they push for the matchup. This year, the game would sell out the Edward Jones Dome. My vote is certainly for an annual game. I think it would be great for recruiting for both teams and the fans would be there every year. They wouldn't have to do it like Mizzou does the Border War with Illinois where every game is here in St. Louis . A home & home set up, so that each team gets to be the host in alternating years would be fun for both campuses.

It's certainly good that the local media is pushing for this because that's the only way it'll ever happen, but my guess is that we'll need a few more years of sustained success before Mizzou will agree to play us. Hopefully that's the path we're already on and it'll happen in due time.

I'm still surprised it hasn't been an annual game for 50+ years. The last 3 game series was great. Every game close, every game well attended, the media really into it. Then.... pffffffft, the air goes out of the balloon. We all know SLU would jump at the chance. Actually, w/ Mizzery being a publicly funded school, I think the Missouri legislature should force the game on them as a revenue producer for their publicly funded athletic program. But FC's probably got it right. If we were to meet in the NCAA and beat them, you can bet Mizzery would be wide open to the idea. UK never wanted the UL game until they lost to UL.

Nothing I'd like better than a home and home series with either Missouri or Illinois (preferably both!), but neither will happen anytime soon. The current Border War game(s) in STL serves the regional recruiting and financial needs of both BCS schools very well; neither is motivated to date SLU on the side. That would only help promote a resurgent SLU at their own expense.

from my conversations with Frank over the years, i am 99.99% sure he reads billikens.com (he admitted a few years back he did, we dont talk as much now that we are on opposite sides of the fence on the coach so cant attest to currently)

i have long suspected he also posts, but he has never told me that.

frank, in my opinion is the hardest working and most enjoyable sports media personality in st louis. i'd rather listen/watch frank more than anyone.

I hope we never play Mizzou again in the regular season. If they won't play us when we're struggling, we shouldn't try to play them when we're a legit program. We don't need them and they don't need us. That will be obvious this year. F it.

Except the game would mean big money and exposure for everyone involved. It is never smart to make decisions out of spite.

I hope we never play Mizzou again in the regular season. If they won't play us when we're struggling, we shouldn't try to play them when we're a legit program. We don't need them and they don't need us. That will be obvious this year. F it.

Maybe the wise thing to do here would be to contact KU and schedule a 3 game series; a home and home and a neutral in KC or at the Scott. As I understand it KU's not real happy about Mizzery checking out of the big 12 and there's no reason for them, other than a longstanding rivalry of conference foes, to schedule them.

Except the game would mean big money and exposure for everyone involved. It is never smart to make decisions out of spite.

That's true, but after making the NCAA tourney a few times in a row we won't be hurting for exposure. Heck, I could make the argument we aren't hurting for exposure even now. Yeah, the money would be nice, but we can get good money playing a team like Gonzaga as well, which it's looking like we are going to do in the near future.

That's true, but after making the NCAA tourney a few times in a row we won't be hurting for exposure. Heck, I could make the argument we aren't hurting for exposure even now. Yeah, the money would be nice, but we can get good money playing a team like Gonzaga as well, which it's looking like we are going to do in the near future.

-last i heard, i think Rick said it, gonz wants to play at scottrade, i am not taking that scheduling request

-i would rather play ark st or the equivalent at Chaifetz than gonz at scottrade

-while a pittance compared to some, i did not donate to have our own bldg built and then play gonz at scottrade

I personally wouldn't play gonzaga or any team at scottrade but what who would it take to allow a game at scottrade?

IMO, these are some of the teams I would say a definite yes to in terms of playing at Scottrade:

-Mizzou (might even be worth moving to the Dome for that game depending on how good both teams are.)

-Illinois

-Duke

-Kentucky

-UNC

-Kansas

-UConn

Basically, games where you could pretty much guarantee an attendance of 20,000+. While a team like Gonzaga is typically good every year and perhaps a decent draw, I don't see them being able to help bring in a crowd of 20,000.

I personally wouldn't play gonzaga or any team at scottrade but what who would it take to allow a game at scottrade?

Well we've shown a willingness to simply play at a duke. So certainly we'd play them at scotttrade if the opportunity presented itself. The question then becomes how far down from the dukes of the world would we be willing to go?

I don't have a huge problem with doing it as long as 1) we keep all the proceeds and 2) it's not a regional team like mu or Illinois that would have a large fan section.

IMO, these are some of the teams I would say a definite yes to in terms of playing at Scottrade:

-Mizzou (might even be worth moving to the Dome for that game depending on how good both teams are.)

-Illinois

-Duke

-Kentucky

-UNC

-Kansas

-UConn

Basically, games where you could pretty much guarantee an attendance of 20,000+. While a team like Gonzaga is typically good every year and perhaps a decent draw, I don't see them being able to help bring in a crowd of 20,000.

If Bradley Beal was still at Florida after this year, would you take a game with Florida at Scottrade Center?

I'm still surprised it hasn't been an annual game for 50+ years. The last 3 game series was great. Every game close, every game well attended, the media really into it. Then.... pffffffft, the air goes out of the balloon. We all know SLU would jump at the chance. Actually, w/ Mizzery being a publicly funded school, I think the Missouri legislature should force the game on them as a revenue producer for their publicly funded athletic program. But FC's probably got it right. If we were to meet in the NCAA and beat them, you can bet Mizzery would be wide open to the idea. UK never wanted the UL game until they lost to UL.

I don't think that's quite true. Mizzou has boosters, just like SLU does. It's not like the athletics program is supported 100% by tax dollars. Public money probably kicks in a minority percentage.

I brought up this question last year and I think we had a pretty even response, but now that we're playing better maybe opinions will have changed....

Would you rather have a home and home series with Duke or Mizzou?

I would pick Duke. Let Mizzou play Pie Crust St. again. To heck with 'em.

History, as in from the last time, shows that Mizzou will play SLU when it has to play SLU, as in when the SLU program is at the level in which it is cutting into Mizzou media exposure in St. Louis. And it appears that is beginning to happen right now. Bernie is talking about SLU; Frank C. is writing about SLU; even Bryan Burwell is writing about SLU.

The surest way for SLU to get Mizzou back on SLU's schedule is for SLU to make the NCAA Tournament this season.

All time series record: MU 21 SLU 19, with Mizzou winning 4 of the last 5 and the last 2. That is hardly MU domination, is it?

Homeward Bound: We will be at Chaifetz Arena in person for the next 2 games, Arkansas State this Thursday and Texas Southern a week from Tuesday. If anyone has any available tickets they are not using, please send me a PM.

-last i heard, i think Rick said it, gonz wants to play at scottrade, i am not taking that scheduling request

-i would rather play ark st or the equivalent at Chaifetz than gonz at scottrade

-while a pittance compared to some, i did not donate to have our own bldg built and then play gonz at scottrade

Here's the deal:

SLU should agree to play Gonzaga at Scottrade Center, but only with Gonzaga agreeing to play its home game against SLU at either Spokane Arena or Key Arena in Seattle, not at the 6,000 seat Kennel on the GU Campus. Otherwise, it's home and home, as in Chaifetz Arena and the Kennel.

There's no way that Gonzaga University, irrespective of recent basketball success, should ever be dictating terms to Saint Louis University, as in ever.

Illinois doesn't get a pass either, but at least Bruce Weber admitted that the Illini cannot play SLU.

And Illinois is in a different state, with a number of in-state opponents that would like to play it, many of which Illinois ducks, or only plays in either Champaign or on a neutral floor. Note last year's debacle in Chicago vs. UIC, a team that lost a regular season game this year to D-2 Quincy.

As for Mizzou, there is simply no excuse. This poster has read the lame excuses for decades. The Mizzou apologists, maybe even some Yahoos, will no doubt be responding to these posts. So in advance- there is no excuse, period. Play the game.

Mizzou (aka Boone County Bakery) non-conference schedule:

Home: SEMO, Mercer, Niagara, Binghamton, Northwestern State, Navy, Kennesaw State, William & Mary;

Neutral: Notre Dame (in Kansas City), Cal (in Kansas City)- thus virtually semi-home games; Villanova (in New York City, MSG);

Neutral: Dec. 22 Illinois (in St. Louis);

Away- Dec. 30 @ Old Dominion.

And yet, Mizzou, albeit undefeated against this schedule of colossal cupcakes, is ranked 9th in the AP Poll and 8th in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll.

Memo to Old Mizzou: Play the Game!

Missouri....I wonder if Missouri would play a series that included a game at Sprint Arena and a game at Scott? The KC game might interest them since they are losing the KU rivalry series and might want to stay relevant in the area.

A 4 game series with games at each home site and those 2 sites has been what we wanted to get. Too bad they won't return our calls.