Whitesell to Join Staff

NH

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not relevant info but here it is nonetheless.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/news/story?id=6581927

I was just going to post this...I think it is a good thing that he has been in the Chicago area for a while though so we can continue to have a decent presence up there. Whether it is a good as Porter, who knows. But we shall see.

I have great respect for Porter; not sure how this helps the debate, but his loss was greater than the casual fan thought. It definitely affected not only the spring signing period but perhaps the fall, too. This is great news in terms of getting a recruiter back on the staff to keep in contact with the big names in the St. Louis area (Berry) and those kids high on SLU (Ellenson). There was a lot to lose if this decision wasn't made by June 1.

I have great respect for Porter; not sure how this helps the debate, but his loss was greater than the casual fan thought. It definitely affected not only the spring signing period but perhaps the fall, too. This is great news in terms of getting a recruiter back on the staff to keep in contact with the big names in the St. Louis area (Berry) and those kids high on SLU (Ellenson). There was a lot to lose if this decision wasn't made by June 1.

Thank you.

Haha! That cracked me up. I have been inspired to travel the country and watch 15 and 16 year old kids play basketball.

You can't just watch 15 and 16 year olds play. You also need to GOSEETHEKIDSPLAY when they are 10 and 11. Only then can you truly discuss basketball on this board.

-I walked by and observed the nursery at st luke's yesterday so I can talk on those kids

-the bald kid in the second row was really squirming so I project him at the least to be a big dunker and get glory from vtime

-the highly touted kid in the first row just seemed interested in sleeping so no future for him, and he might have bowel control issues at this point

Whitesell is a solid hire for us. Certainly not the flash hire but he has several things going for him.

He's a worker, he's made a living of reviving moribund programs at different levels. He turns them around and does it quick. He almost got Loyola over the top but just didn't quite get there. I've heard Loyola has thrown a lot more money into the basketball program since the Moser hiring, more staff members, bigger budgets. If Whitesell had those advantages he'd probably be looking at BCS HC opportunities right now.

He'll fill Moser's shoes as far as running the day to day operations of the program having been a HC now for over 15 years. He has more experience as a HC than Moser did.

He's very familiar with our Midwest recruiting base. He's been recruiting Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Ohio for 25 years. The makeup of his rosters at Loyola largely consisted of kids from the Chicago/Milwaukee area, which just so happens to be where we have gotten our best players from under Majerus.

While Moser is a favorite of area kids, where was the success? It won't be too hard for Whitesell to duplicate what Moser had going on locally.

Whitesell is a solid hire for us. Certainly not the flash hire but he has several things going for him.

He's a worker, he's made a living of reviving moribund programs at different levels. He turns them around and does it quick. He almost got Loyola over the top but just didn't quite get there. I've heard Loyola has thrown a lot more money into the basketball program since the Moser hiring, more staff members, bigger budgets. If Whitesell had those advantages he'd probably be looking at BCS HC opportunities right now.

He'll fill Moser's shoes as far as running the day to day operations of the program having been a HC now for over 15 years. He has more experience as a HC than Moser did.

He's very familiar with our Midwest recruiting base. He's been recruiting Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Ohio for 25 years. The makeup of his rosters at Loyola largely consisted of kids from the Chicago/Milwaukee area, which just so happens to be where we have gotten our best players from under Majerus.

While Moser is a favorite of area kids, where was the success? It won't be too hard for Whitesell to duplicate what Moser had going on locally.

I've got nothing against Whitesell, but part of me wanted the new hire to be an obvious transition guy for the inevitable day when Majerus retires.

I know some say its not all that important to have an obvious succession line in place but I tend to agree with Nate and others that question how we are going to be able to recruit the next few years.

It seems like a really tough sell to tell some sophomore or junior kid that Majerus will be here all 4 years of his career. And the kids we want are going to have a ton of options so why would they pick a school that hasn't won squat, will likely have its head coach retire before he finishes his four years and can't guarantee who the new coach will be?

Instead of going head to head with some BCS and top mid major schools I'm afraid the kids that will sign on to the unsure situation at SLU will only have low mid major offers.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Whitesell is able to sell himself to recruits as the heir apparent but I have my doubts.

I've got nothing against Whitesell, but part of me wanted the new hire to be an obvious transition guy for the inevitable day when Majerus retires.

I know some say its not all that important to have an obvious succession line in place but I tend to agree with Nate and others that question how we are going to be able to recruit the next few years.

It seems like a really tough sell to tell some sophomore or junior kid that Majerus will be here all 4 years of his career. And the kids we want are going to have a ton of options so why would they pick a school that hasn't won squat, will likely have its head coach retire before he finishes his four years and can't guarantee who the new coach will be?

Instead of going head to head with some BCS and top mid major schools I'm afraid the kids that will sign on to the unsure situation at SLU will only have low mid major offers.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Whitesell is able to sell himself to recruits as the heir apparent but I have my doubts.

If a program wins and appears to have something to offer a player -- whatever he considers important in selecting a program -- then I don't think having a guarantee that the head coach will be there for all of his career or a plan of succession is critical to most players. Most of them live more in the moment, anyway. Quite a few of them believe they'll be good enough to head to the NBA before their four years are up, anyway.

If a program wins and appears to have something to offer a player -- whatever he considers important in selecting a program -- then I don't think having a guarantee that the head coach will be there for all of his career or a plan of succession is critical to most players. Most of them live more in the moment, anyway. Quite a few of them believe they'll be good enough to head to the NBA before their four years are up, anyway.

Things I believe most players care about when selecting a school (in no particular order):

- T.V. Exposure

- Chance to make NBA

- Conference

- Head coach

- History of winning and making NCAA tournament

- Playing time

- Academics

- Girls at the school

If RM is perceived to be gone by recruits, then we are down to offering playing time and academics and lots of schools have that in addition to the other things. Its going to be uphill battle.

I'll put it differently, if RM and company are able to continue recruiting in the next two years at the high level they have so far I will be amazed. Unfortunately, I think the failings this spring are a predictor of things to come.

Things I believe most players care about when selecting a school (in no particular order):

- T.V. Exposure

- Chance to make NBA

- Conference

- Head coach

- Playing time

- Academics

- Girls at the school

If RM is perceived to be gone by recruits, then we are down to offering playing time and academics and lots of schools have that in addition to the other things. Its going to be uphill battle.

I'll put it differently, if RM and company are able to continue recruiting in the next two years at the high level they have so far I will be amazed. Unfortunately, I think the failings this spring are a predictor of things to come.

Playing at a smaller or more obscure school does not hinder a player from making the NBA. If you're good enough in both talent and intangibles (i.e., character and citizenship), to play in the NBA, they'll find you, regardless of conference or country. Also, I don't think the A-10 is a very considerable detriment to talented players.

I'm not saying that the head coach isn't a factor in a player's decision, but I don't think foreknowledge that he'll still be the head coach in a prospective player's senior year -- more than three years off -- weighs that heavily in the minds of most recruits.

- T.V. Exposure

- Chance to make NBA

- Conference

- Head coach

- Playing time

- Academics

- Girls at the school

It sounds simple, but making the NCAA Tournament is by far the most important thing for attracting recruits. Unfortunately the situation set us back a year, but if we if we want to become a Xavier or Gonzaga we need to start stringing together Tourney trips now. Needless to say this is a huge season. I hope we make the tourney, RM gets a two-year extension and we'll have more time to identify a "coach in waiting." The one thing going for us is that I think we have a very strong nucleus with our sophomore class with McCall, Evans, Jett, Barnett and Loe. They should help give us a good shot at making the Tourney over the next three seasons. The fall recruiting is also going to be big. Maybe Ellenson, a foreignor and a couple of the Indy kids could form a nice recruiting class.

It sounds simple, but making the NCAA Tournament is by far the most important thing for attracting recruits.

And it helps raise the overall status of the school. Butler's total applications for enrollment rose by 41% just by making the Final Four in 2010. It will be interesting to see if that will translate into sustained recruiting ability...

- T.V. Exposure

- Chance to make NBA

- Conference

- Head coach

- Playing time

- Academics

- Girls at the school

Shoe.

Agree with your list but dont' recall great successes these past 5 Springs with American players. CE and RL were two of our biggest recuits - both Spring recruits.

Anyone know anything more about the European transfer or player that was mentioned 3 weeks ago?

And it helps raise the overall status of the school. Butler's total applications for enrollment rose by 41% just by making the Final Four in 2010. It will be interesting to see if that will translate into sustained recruiting ability...

Friends were just in Indy pre tournament

Two years ago Butler accepted 1/2 of it's

Applicants: this year it plans to accept 1/6

Of course they did not expect back to back

Finals. Question: has Biondi hit a wall

And is he tempering his own boom plans?

I have come to have little concern about a succession plan for us or anywhere for that matter. In today's college bb world any and every coach is just one offer away from leaving their current school. If you are a recruit you should know this and such while you may be upset because the coach who recruited you left you know that it happens and so you have to decide how to proceed. Except for a few places such as Duke, Kansas, and UNC - Kansas did loose Williams - you have to consider that the coach may leave before you graduate.

- T.V. Exposure

- Chance to make NBA

- Conference

- Head coach

- Playing time

- Academics

- Girls at the school

Hard to generalize about the reasons since each kid is different. Your list covers just about everything but the, I've always dreamt about playing at ol' state U and how the kid feels about his future teammates. But there is one general factor that I think rules the roost and that's Status, which is the sum total of all the other factors. If a 5 star selects SLU he's going to be looked down on by his peers. We have a coach w/ status but we have a program with none of it. This is what's killing us with a lot of the locals. Granted the Beals will most always choose a FL even if we were at X's level, but the next tier kids just might want to stay at home and play in front of family and friends if we were winners. I'm not real excited about Whitesell, although he sounds like a hard worker and a decent man. I'll wager Broy is happy with the hire since he almost sounds like a Brad clone. At this point I hope he's not our future coach unless he really turns on the recruiting spigots. I'll take recruiting skills over X's and O's any day of the week. I too was hoping for a guy who appeared to be the next in line type, like a Biancardi, as I fear Biondi may be so upset if we don't start filling the arena soon, he may go on the cheap for our next HC which would just set us back another 4-5 years.

Shoe.

Agree with your list but dont' recall great successes these past 5 Springs with American players. CE and RL were two of our biggest recuits - both Spring recruits.

Anyone know anything more about the European transfer or player that was mentioned 3 weeks ago?

I wonder what the deal is with Winters? Could it be an eligibility issue? No word that he is going to prep school. When are those decisions about prep school typically made?

Hard to generalize about the reasons since each kid is different. Your list covers just about everything but the, I've always dreamt about playing at ol' state U and how the kid feels about his future teammates. But there is one general factor that I think rules the roost and that's Status, which is the sum total of all the other factors. If a 5 star selects SLU he's going to be looked down on by his peers. We have a coach w/ status but we have a program with none of it. This is what's killing us with a lot of the locals. Granted the Beals will most always choose a FL even if we were at X's level, but the next tier kids just might want to stay at home and play in front of family and friends if we were winners. I'm not real excited about Whitesell, although he sounds like a hard worker and a decent man. I'll wager Broy is happy with the hire since he almost sounds like a Brad clone. At this point I hope he's not our future coach unless he really turns on the recruiting spigots. I'll take recruiting skills over X's and O's any day of the week. I too was hoping for a guy who appeared to be the next in line type, like a Biancardi, as I fear Biondi may be so upset if we don't start filling the arena soon, he may go on the cheap for our next HC which would just set us back another 4-5 years.

All the more reason that Biondi has to go; but the Board of Trustees has to issue that order. Or maybe he pulls a Kramer and takes a snooze in the tanning bed...either way, it's time to put a fork in Fr. B.