Eustachy in the C-USA

Conference USA continues to fall apart. According to ESPN, Larry Eustachy has been hired by none other than C-USA's very own Southern Miss. Anytime I think of Eustachy, the 2000-01 season always comes to mind, where he finished 25-4 with a team led by Jamaal Tinsley, then proceeded to lose to Baylor in the first game of the Big 12 tourney and let 15 seed Hampton upset them in the Big Dance. Sure he took his team the year before that to the Elite Eight, but that team not only had Tinsley but Marcus Fizer as well. He's not going to have guys like Tinsley and Fizer at Southern Miss. Then you throw in his off the court problems... It's a real shame James Green retired.

Between Eustachy's hiring and UAB's Anderson possibly departure, who would want to stay in this nascar conference which is becoming a bigger joke everyday? Only Memphis I guess.

I bet we'll see Larry on Beale St. drinking it up with some Memphis sorority girls! Just call it a hunch. ;)

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

which just seemed to escalate during the end of his coaching tenure at Iowa State. He resigned because of it and got help immediately after. From all public accounts (I think I remember an SI article) he's well on the way to recovery. I think the man deserves a second chance in coaching.

And by the way, from what I've seen, he's a DAMN good coach. If he didn't have so much baggage I wish he'd go to Mizzou (we can't handle anymore). He's got more BigXII championships than any active BigXII coach and was one rigged game against (i believe duke) from the Final 4. Hampton's happen--many wish they were a 2 seed in the NCAA tourney....

.... have anything to fear? That dance team had some good-lookers in year's past. Here's hoping no pictures of Larry appear on the internet with them. Of course, what else you gonna do in Hattiesburg, Mississippi on a cold (?) winter's night?

Sideline foibles aside, I think it might be a good hire. He's got to stay clean while he tries to rise like the Phoenix. SoMiss is a "re-proving" ground. I suspect that with any modicum of success, he won't be there very long. Given that Memphis seems to be the only real viable competition (maybe UAB) in the remaining C-WHO, he might be successful really quick.

Overall, I like SoMiss so I hope they do well.

>which just seemed to escalate during the end of his coaching

>tenure at Iowa State. He resigned because of it and got

>help immediately after. From all public accounts (I think I

>remember an SI article) he's well on the way to recovery. I

>think the man deserves a second chance in coaching.

>

>And by the way, from what I've seen, he's a DAMN good coach.

> If he didn't have so much baggage I wish he'd go to Mizzou

>(we can't handle anymore). He's got more BigXII

>championships than any active BigXII coach and was one

>rigged game against (i believe duke) from the Final 4.

>Hampton's happen--many wish they were a 2 seed in the NCAA

>tourney....

Rigged game? Are you talking about the classic ISU/Michigan State Elite 8 game in 2000? If so the game was not "rigged." What was a shame was that the 2 best teams in the tourney had to meet there - ISU should have been a 1 seed. ISU led most of the game until State got hot from 3 and put the game away in the final 5 minutes. Andre Hutson, as a junior, outplayed Fizer, holding him to 10 points under his average. One of the best tourney games I've ever seen.