Time to Look to Next Year

WVBilliken

I have been a huge billiken fan since I graduated from SLU in the mid 1970's. But this year I just haven't been able to get into the team. I guess the expectations were so great that when Mitchell and Reed were ruled in-eligible I just lost interest. But I am charged up about next year. Mitchell, Reed, Barnett and Manning coming in really excites me. SLU could be really, really good.

So who will be back to support these guys? Salecich seems questionable to me. He will be buried behind Mitchell, Jett, McCall and Cassity. Doesn't look like he will see the floor much. Will he be back?

We have two scholarships to give for 2012 assuming all our current players stay. What do we need? I think the most pressing need is a athletic 3. Evans is the closest we have to athletic 3 but I wish we had one that was a bit bigger who could really shoot from outside. So what do we need next? A buising 6'8" or so power forward?

What does everyone else think? And does Salecich stay? He won't see the floor much.

I have been a huge billiken fan since I graduated from SLU in the mid 1970's. But this year I just haven't been able to get into the team. I guess the expectations were so great that when Mitchell and Reed were ruled in-eligible I just lost interest. But I am charged up about next year. Mitchell, Reed, Barnett and Manning coming in really excites me. SLU could be really, really good.

I'll take "Types of Fans" for $1000, Alex.

AND the answer is: A fan of a sports team who only shows support when the team is doing well. During hard times they usually bandwagon other teams. They basically have no real loyalty to the team, but still manage to get better seats than you at the game. Strangely they mysteriously vanish at the first sign of trouble.

What is...........???

We have two scholarships to give for 2012 assuming all our current players stay. What do we need? I think the most pressing need is a athletic 3. Evans is the closest we have to athletic 3 but I wish we had one that was a bit bigger who could really shoot from outside.

Don't get your hopes up too high. Those type of players end up at Duke, Kansas, etc...Evans can be a solid 3 for us in the years to come. I'm sure Barnett will get some minutes there, too.

We have two scholarships to give for 2012 assuming all our current players stay.

I count 11 returning scholarship players on the current roster

http://www.slubillikens.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stlo-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Showtime Willie makes 12. I'd rather have Showtime Willie on the team for the 2011-2012 season than any recruit we are likely to land. We already signed Manning for next year's class so that's it unless Willie is not reinstated or someone leaves. The 11 returning players plus Willie would be an awesome squad. Just having Barnett and Mitchell eligible to play with the freshmen will be huge. Add Willie to that mix and next year's team will bear little resemblance to the 2010-2011 team. But we are SLU so plenty can go wrong with that dream.

I'll take "Types of Fans" for $1000, Alex.

AND the answer is: A fan of a sports team who only shows support when the team is doing well. During hard times they usually bandwagon other teams. They basically have no real loyalty to the team, but still manage to get better seats than you at the game. Strangely they mysteriously vanish at the first sign of trouble.

What is...........???

That's not fair to WVBilliken - he's been posting here a long time, just not all that frequently. This has been a tough season. He's seen a lot more bad basketball than I have, and the events of this year have been challenging to even the most ardent SLU fan.

That's not fair to WVBilliken - he's been posting here a long time, just not all that frequently. This has been a tough season. He's seen a lot more bad basketball than I have, and the events of this year have been challenging to even the most ardent SLU fan.

WV's always been a big fan. Technical foul for whoever called him fair weather. The reason this season's been such a downer is well known. High expectations. Dance bid? NIT at minimum? Then it all goes in the toilet 2 days before practice. And we're right back where we were 3 years ago. Nation's 6th youngest team. This is like asking the school's foxiest babe to the prom. She says yes. You get all excited. Rent the big $ tux. Line up your cousin's Lexus 350i for your ride. Order the big $ corsage. And Whammo, two days before the big night she comes up with some flimsy excuse as to why she can't go. Your mom finds a sub. Who's a far cry from miss foxy. You go, but do you enjoy it? Doubtful.

The years of Randy Albrecht, Ron Coleman, Ekker and those early years of Rich Grawer are a 1000x worse then what we have today :lol: . At least I think we have a light at the end of the tunnel, that was like being stuck in that Chilean mine forever. I just think it is just a down year like we had many years with Spoon or Romer.

One positive and has me looking forward to watching the game this afternoon on ESPN2 are the freshmen. Yea they have dumb TOs and make a lot mistakes but anyone can see they have major potential. Never have I seen this many freshmen show up on a Billiken team at one time have that much potential. Also, say alot about Rick, he is able to develop and motivate players. So I very certain they will get better. Maybe Salecich is that exception (I am not giving up on him yet) but the others all improved.

Regarding Salecich leaving. I don't think so. Does not want to reck that Downunder pipeline. I think Rick realizes, like most of us, we not going to get a Mickey D level player. Also the grade thing at SLU hurts us. Rick. I believe he thinks, may strike gold with another Andrew Bogut. That was the whole purpose of hiring Harriman and probably having this trip downunder. Who knows, maybe Loe can fill that spot.

Anyone from our out-of-town fans notice we seem to be getting a lot games on TV? Seemed I caught them on TV much more then past years. Now watch, when they are good it will be nada :D

I count 11 returning scholarship players on the current roster

http://www.slubillikens.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stlo-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Showtime Willie makes 12. I'd rather have Showtime Willie on the team for the 2011-2012 season than any recruit we are likely to land. We already signed Manning for next year's class so that's it unless Willie is not reinstated or someone leaves. The 11 returning players plus Willie would be an awesome squad. Just having Barnett and Mitchell eligible to play with the freshmen will be huge. Add Willie to that mix and next year's team will bear little resemblance to the 2010-2011 team. But we are SLU so plenty can go wrong with that dream.

I can't tell if you were just adding to WV's post or suggesting he had it wrong, but his numbers are dead on. With WR and Manning added to the current roster we are at 13. But Conklin and Cassity will graduate the following year, leaving us with 2 scholarships for 2012.

I'm of the belief that nobody will be run off at this point. If anybody leaves it will be because they flunk out or don't think there will be minutes available next year. I truly hope nobody leaves because even the guys that won't get a lot of minutes next year will have a valuable role on this team. This is an NCAA caliber team next season as long as it all stays together.