bowling green game thread

We've now lost at home to Austin Peay and Bowling Green. We have to be, what, 10-6 in conference to have a winning season? Almost no chance unless both KM and WR play. Not surprising we're so bad when we lost our 2 best scorers, 2 best defenders, best 3 point shooter, best rebounder and and best shot blocker.

I've been to almost every home game since 03-04, and that goaltending non-call was the worst I've ever seen. It was clear as day to me all the way across the arena. Ball bounced off the rim, went upward, and was swatted away by a Bowling Green player. You have to be literally blind (or rigging the game) to miss it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've now lost at home to Austin Peay and Bowling Green. We have to be, what, 10-6 in conference to have a winning season? Almost no chance unless both KM and WR play. Not surprising we're so bad when we lost our 2 best scorers, 2 best defenders, best 3 point shooter, best rebounder and and best shot blocker.

I've been to almost every home game since 03-04, and that goaltending non-call was the worst I've ever seen. It was clear as day to me all the way across the arena. Ball bounced off the rim, went upward, and was swatted away by a Bowling Green player. You have to be literally blind (or rigging the game) to miss it.

It was a totally ridiculous non-call.

This team is just pathetic. Absolutely horrible. No excuse. Take Conklin out today, and we might as well forfeit. We cannot shoot. We cannot pass. We barely beat the press against a very mediocre team. We play with ZERO urgency. Just embarrassing and pathetic. I think Majerus was just too embarrassed to come back out. I understand we are missing our two best players, but this was friggin'' BOWLING GREEN. BOWLING GREEN at home!!!!!!!

I am going out to my firepit and burning everything with blue on it...right now. I'm that disgusted.

I'm in total agreement. Like many on the board, I've watched some pretty lackluster efforts during Rich Grawer's era and before. But this one had to be right up there with them. If we don't get our two suspenders reinstated, we'll be sucking air in the A-10. I have little hope after what I witnessed today. Remeken was nearly comatose on the court, and why he's positioned at the midcourt line to get trapped and lose the ball is beyond me. Let's see what happens when court convenes next week.

Even without Willie and Kwamain, there was no excuse for the pathetic play today. Everyone but Conklin should be running laps as I write this. (Including RickMa, even with the "laceration.")

If winners play to win at all times, then WR and KM should start playing Wednesday. Screw the redshirts. By the time they're up to speed, it will be conference tourney -- and they can simply play the best four games in four days of their lives and we'll prove we're serious about this "top 50" crap.

All that said, perhaps if we act like winners, our crowd will start acting like it as well. Those refs should have been afraid for their lives leaving the court. (For the record, they missed three goaltending calls, not just the one. We deserved to lose -- but I'm tired of getting fourth-string juco refs on our home court. Moser showed me something today by not getting a technical.)

The team as it is cannot prosper under the current system that RM is using. The mark of a good coach is to use a system that fits the talent he or she has. This team needs to play some zone defense at times due to the lack of speed and toughness of our big men and maybe Loe and Ellis could get more minutes. We need their offense and Cassity does not seem too interested in being a main offensive source. something needs to change. The lack of two players should not make this big of a difference, imo. We will rarely attract the highly talented ball players with the kind of offense we run. KC, CE, RL and MM; atleast two of them should be averaging over ten shots a game. I'm beginning to wonder if we would be as good as some people think with KM and WR. Maybe we would be, but this kindof play is discouraging.

Well said. Kind of what I was hinting at, but you articulated it much better.

Even without Willie and Kwamain, there was no excuse for the pathetic play today. Everyone but Conklin should be running laps as I write this. (Including RickMa, even with the "laceration.")

If winners play to win at all times, then WR and KM should start playing Wednesday. Screw the redshirts. By the time they're up to speed, it will be conference tourney -- and they can simply play the best four games in four days of their lives and we'll prove we're serious about this "top 50" crap.

All that said, perhaps if we act like winners, our crowd will start acting like it as well. Those refs should have been afraid for their lives leaving the court. (For the record, they missed three goaltending calls, not just the one. We deserved to lose -- but I'm tired of getting fourth-string juco refs on our home court. Moser showed me something today by not getting a technical.)

+10000

The object of the game is to put the round ball in the round hole.

You can blame the recruiting of players for this one but it has nothing to do with the offensive system. This team can't hit open 3pt shots, finish in transition or create their own offense in a breakdown situation.

They got an open shot pretty much whenever they wanted and they missed them. Who can knock down an open shot when you need it for this team? Which of the guards were dead eye shooters in high school?-None of them. Jett and McCall are slashers who can knock down an occasional shot but they aren't going to pull it consistently or make it consistently (I don't care what McCall is shooting, SLU would be running sets to get him open if he was really a 40% shooter from 3pt).

They don't have a post that can score in the low block doing anything but drop stepping to their right hand.

If you lose 2 possible 1st team conference players and replace them with 3 star freshmen...this is what it is going to look like.

5 star freshmen are kids who can put the round ball in the round hole. Give Coach K the same team over at Duke and they'd have the same record-its just not very good players right now.

We heard Majerus complain when he took over that SLU's talent wasn't up to par. (I still agree with that assessment.) What concerns me, however, is that four years later--without Willie, Kwamain, and even John Smith--I don't think our talent has been better than 10 of the 12 D1 teams we have faced this year. Rarely are we the bigger, more athletic, or better outside shotting team. It is frustrating, depressing, and concerning. Majerus and his staff hold most of the lot of the blame. In particular, the down under recruiting strategy has produced a trio of players whose entire games rely upon, ironically, unreliable outside shots and who are way behind their American counterparts in terms of vertical athleticism, strength, and interior positioning.

All of that being said, if our stars return next season and the team has only a loss or two at this point, all ills will quickly be forgotten. Sports are always about the here and now. Right now, the here and now has hit rock bottom.

Last year we played to the level of our opponents and won most of them. this year we play to the level of our opponents and lose most of them. If you call yourself a school and a team dedicated to winning, let KM and WR back in and let them play. Like someone said earlier true winners play to win at all times. We need KM and WR to be successful. Let them play and then we may be even better next year if everyone has played together for a while. Maybe RL and CE will find their shot with KM and WR in there. I just want to win now. Throw KM and WR on the court right away and see what happens. We can be a winning team 2 years from now whether we have them or not.

BTW Duquense beat Bowling Green 90-54.

5 star freshmen are kids who can put the round ball in the round hole. Give Coach K the same team over at Duke and they'd have the same record-its just not very good players right now.

I don't disagree with this.

I don't mean to suggest we should be underrated or only have 1loss. However, we do have some talent and certainly more than bowling green. This team shouldn't lose to this BG team at home.

If you don't have any shooters on the team, then we shouldn't put four guys on the perimeter and look for a perimeter shot.

I suspect we are in the annual xmas break marathon boot camp practices. The players have no legs and our shooting percentages back that up today.

Last year we played to the level of our opponents and won most of them. this year we play to the level of our opponents and lose most of them. If you call yourself a school and a team dedicated to winning, let KM and WR back in and let them play. Like someone said earlier true winners play to win at all times. We need KM and WR to be successful. Let them play and then we may be even better next year if everyone has played together for a while. Maybe RL and CE will find their shot with KM and WR in there. I just want to win now. Throw KM and WR on the court right away and see what happens. We can be a winning team 2 years from now whether we have them or not.

BTW Duquense beat Bowling Green 90-54.

If SLU gave a rat's backside about winning, the players involved would have been on the court Day 1. We all know that is not the case. Every year SLU is supposed to turn a corner...and they keep turning down dead-end roads. The Athletic Department is obviously better at marketing than they are at putting good teams on the field.