The Missour St. Series

kshoe

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/article_5d129295-ad90-5826-9056-12a9646ff154.html

Sounds like MSU doesn't want to come back to SLU next year because they already have too many road games. Pretty much a punk move by them since they've known forever that it was there turn yet they go out and schedule a bunch of other road games. Wouldn't happen to have anything to do with the reality that we'll be loaded next season while their team is losing a bunch of seniors??? shouldn't be surprised by the punk move since it was them not wanting to come to STL 2 years ago that got the cycle with SIU off track.

Nevertheless, the decision will then be on SLU as to whether we wait 2 years and start the series again at the Chaifetz, wait one year and start at MSU or wait one year and start at the Chaifetz. The last one is less than ideal as SIU will be coming in that year and we have worked to get those two on opposite cycles. None of the scenarios are ideal.

I know contracts are typically two year deals but given all the issues we've had with MSU and getting them on the right cycle, why don't we agree to a 6 or 8 year deal. There really shouldn't be all this drama with these guys.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get a SLU win tonight and then replace the former SMS on the schedule.

There should be no SLU concessions for them. It appears Mo. State created the alleged scheduling issues. If they want to play SLU again, the next game should be at SLU, period.

This series will prove to mean more to them. They recruit the St. Louis Area, they have alumni and students from the St. Louis Area.

Replace them with Bradley (an old rival, 69 previous meetings) or Creighton.

Didn't we let them skip the first year Martin was there because he knew he was going to struggle? Now they pull this. I say we forget about them and move on.

Just my thoughts

Actually, 3 years ago, SLU failed to get the contract signed on-time and MSU had to scramble to find another opponent. After that, a 2 year contract was signed, with this game tonight being the last game of that series. MSU is choosing not to renew next season because we already have 5 non-conference road games PLUS 2+ games in an exempt tourney.

Source: I used to work with the MSU athletic department.

Let's get a SLU win tonight and then replace the former SMS on the schedule.

There should be no SLU concessions for them. It appears Mo. State created the alleged scheduling issues. If they want to play SLU again, the next game should be at SLU, period.

This series will prove to mean more to them. They recruit the St. Louis Area, they have alumni and students from the St. Louis Area.

Replace them with Bradley (an old rival, 69 previous meetings) or Creighton.

Do Creighton and Bradley want to play us? I wouldn't mind either if it came to be. Based on RM's recruiting I'd like to see a regular home and home with a Chicago area school (even UIC or Chicago State) and maybe even UWM. I'd obviously rather play the big boys from those towns, but they don't appear to be willing.

Actually, 3 years ago, SLU failed to get the contract signed on-time and MSU had to scramble to find another opponent. After that, a 2 year contract was signed, with this game tonight being the last game of that series. MSU is choosing not to renew next season because we already have 5 non-conference road games PLUS 2+ games in an exempt tourney.

Source: I used to work with the MSU athletic department.

Majerus said, "Our athletic director and their athletic director had an honest man's handshake to keep the series going"

Majerus said, "Our athletic director and their athletic director had an honest man's handshake to keep the series going"

Just like the "Honest man's handshake" for the game 3 years ago that didn't happen because there wasn't a signed contract for it from SLU?

Look, I love playing SLU, my sister and brother-in-law both got their degrees there and I've had many friends go there that loved the school. It's a great non-conference game and I really feel like it should be played every season. But like I said, there wasn't a contract for the game and MSU literally just cannot afford to only play 4 or 5 non-conference home games.

We had a 4 game contract with Arkansas State, that is why we have to go back down there next season.

Do Creighton and Bradley want to play us? I wouldn't mind either if it came to be. Based on RM's recruiting I'd like to see a regular home and home with a Chicago area school (even UIC or Chicago State) and maybe even UWM. I'd obviously rather play the big boys from those towns, but they don't appear to be willing.

How about getting Loyola Chicago back on the schedule as the Chicago team?

I'm too far removed, but have a radio announcer friend who attended Bradley, and could check into that one. I know he'd like to get the Bradley series resumed, as would I. It's a game that should be played. Bradley used to be St. Louis U's biggest rival.

The SLU argument about "We're going to be loaded next year and MSU is going to be down, so that's why they're dropping us" is hilarious. I posted this the other day and I will again: WE PUT OUR WORST TEAM ON THE COURT IN 30 YEARS (SINCE GOING D1) THREE YEARS AGO AT HAMMONS CENTER AND STILL WON. We are 16-7 against you guys. Don't you think we were down at some point in this 23-game stretch? We weren't afraid to play you then, so why would we be now?

The SLU argument about "We're going to be loaded next year and MSU is going to be down, so that's why they're dropping us" is hilarious. I posted this the other day and I will again: WE PUT OUR WORST TEAM ON THE COURT IN 30 YEARS (SINCE GOING D1) THREE YEARS AGO AT HAMMONS CENTER AND STILL WON. We are 16-7 against you guys. Don't you think we were down at some point in this 23-game stretch? We weren't afraid to play you then, so why would we be now?

Then renew the series, play next year's game at Chaifetz Arena, and stop inventing reasons not to play at SLU next season. It's really that simple. If you scheduled yourselves into 6 non-conference away games, then so be it. Stop the lame efforts at trying to put a spin on this one. Play the game.

It's not ideal, I concede that. The issue is that they had too many road games next year, and were hoping to be able to get out of the return game with Nevada next year, but they wouldn't let us out of our contract.

Since the SLU game was the only road game without an actual contract, a tough decision had to be made. Coach Martin knows how much the series can mean to MSU, especially with as much as they recruit St. Louis, but the scheduling issues couldn't be resolved any other way. With the MOHELA money running out, MSU has to make some tough decisions financially, and this appears to have been one of them.

It's not ideal, I concede that. The issue is that they had too many road games next year, and were hoping to be able to get out of the return game with Nevada next year, but they wouldn't let us out of our contract.

Since the SLU game was the only road game without an actual contract, a tough decision had to be made. Coach Martin knows how much the series can mean to MSU, especially with as much as they recruit St. Louis, but the scheduling issues couldn't be resolved any other way. With the MOHELA money running out, MSU has to make some tough decisions financially, and this appears to have been one of them.

Do you think Mo. State would agree to the Footes' suggestion- play SLU next season in Springfield and then play the following 2 seasons at SLU?

The problem with that from SLU's perspective is that would get SLU back into the same pattern of playing SIU and Mo. State on the road in the same season. SLU and SIU aren't playing this season, but assuming they play next season, it would be SIU's turn to host. So that situation wouldn't resolve until the third year of a 1-2, when Mo. State would play at SLU for a second straight year, but SLU would presumably play at SIU that year.

Otherwise, we may be looking at a 2 year hiatus in the Mo. State series, if nothing else gives. I don't think that's good for either school, but especially not good for Mo. State.

That next year in Springfield, the following 2 in St. Louis, may be the best that can be done. This, of course, is assuming Mo. State cannot play at SLU next season. If I'm SLU, I think SLU could accept that 1 away, then 2 home, and then alternate home and home thereafter. SLU is reportedly having difficulty getting good non-conference games at Chaifetz Arena.

Do you think Mo. State would agree to the Footes' suggestion- play SLU next season in Springfield and then play the following 2 seasons at SLU?

The problem with that from SLU's perspective is that would get SLU back into the same pattern of playing SIU and Mo. State on the road in the same season. SLU and SIU aren't playing this season, but assuming they play next season, it would be SIU's turn to host. So that situation wouldn't resolve until the third year of a 1-2, when Mo. State would play at SLU for a second straight year, but SLU would presumably play at SIU that year.

Otherwise, we may be looking at a 2 year hiatus in the Mo. State series, if nothing else gives. I don't think that's good for either school, but especially not good for Mo. State.

That next year in Springfield, the following 2 in St. Louis, may be the best that can be done. This, of course, is assuming Mo. State cannot play at SLU next season. If I'm SLU, I think SLU could accept that 1 away, then 2 home, and then alternate home and home thereafter. SLU is reportedly having difficulty getting good non-conference games at Chaifetz Arena.

And I'll add, if the Missing Two are reinstated, the venue won't matter next season in the SIU and Mo. State games.

So SLU and Mo. State should get a deal done. Resume the negotiations after Jan. 3.

Just like the "Honest man's handshake" for the game 3 years ago that didn't happen because there wasn't a signed contract for it from SLU?

Look, I love playing SLU, my sister and brother-in-law both got their degrees there and I've had many friends go there that loved the school. It's a great non-conference game and I really feel like it should be played every season. But like I said, there wasn't a contract for the game and MSU literally just cannot afford to only play 4 or 5 non-conference home games.

We had a 4 game contract with Arkansas State, that is why we have to go back down there next season.

Look, everyone knew it was expected that MSU would play the game next year in STL. For MSU to claim that somehow it "just snuck up on them" that they had too many road games and some tough choices had to be made is ridiculous. You've known for at least two years that next year was supposed to be in STL!

As for what happened 3 years ago, it sounds to me like MSU was opening up a brand new arena, wanted an extra home game to pay for the new building and used a paperwork glitch to excuse themselves out of playing the game.

The reality is the game won't play played in 2 of 4 years and MSU is to blame on both occasions. Classy program.

Look, everyone knew it was expected that MSU would play the game next year in STL. For MSU to claim that somehow it "just snuck up on them" that they had too many road games and some tough choices had to be made is ridiculous. You've known for at least two years that next year was supposed to be in STL!

As for what happened 3 years ago, it sounds to me like MSU was opening up a brand new arena, wanted an extra home game to pay for the new building and used a paperwork glitch to excuse themselves out of playing the game.

The reality is the game won't play played in 2 of 4 years and MSU is to blame on both occasions. Classy program.

NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY AT THE FETZ!

Note to SLU AD, when dealing with the MSU AD make sure everything is 100% ironclad in the contract. They try to renig on both handshake agreements and formal contracts alike.

You have your seasons confused Chief.

MSU beat SLU during the 2007-08 season by 4 points at the Hammond Center. You finished 17-16 that year and had a Pomeroy ranking of 83.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Missouri%20St.&y=2008

During the 2008-09 season, you somehow decided not to play the game (would have been on schedule to play SLU). That year you went 11-20 and had a Pomeroy ranking of 197.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Missouri%20St.&y=2009

Seems to me you knew you would get your a$$es handed to you and backed out of the game. Sounds familiar given you know you would get it handed to you next season when we are loaded. Thanks for proving out point.

Word, Footes.

MSU beat SLU during the 2007-08 season by 4 points at the Hammond Center. You finished 17-16 that year and had a Pomeroy ranking of 83.

During the 2008-09 season, you somehow decided not to play the game (would have been on schedule to play SLU). That year you went 11-20 and had a Pomeroy ranking of 197.

Seems to me you knew you would get your a$$es handed to you and backed out of the game. Sounds familiar given you know you would get it handed to you next season when we are loaded. Thanks for proving out point.

Good post, Kshoe. It all adds up.

It would seem that a pattern has been detected.

I tried to understand the State funding argument and work with it with Footes' 1-2 idea. But on the other hand, should we have much sympathy for a program funded by the taxpayers? There's a lot more to add that is probably best left unsaid.

If our 2 players get reinstated, perhaps I'd call Mo. State's bluff and offer the 1-2. Let them turn that one down, and then their real motive will be crystal clear.

Has the real truth been uncovered, namely that they don't want to play us when they know they are going to get beat?

How about getting Loyola Chicago back on the schedule as the Chicago team?

I'm too far removed, but have a radio announcer friend who attended Bradley, and could check into that one. I know he'd like to get the Bradley series resumed, as would I. It's a game that should be played. Bradley used to be St. Louis U's biggest rival.

SLU - Bradley should play every year. Lets knock off this nonsense with SMS. They are a ###### drive and not exactly in a recruiting hotbed. Peoria is a nice all interstate 2 hour drive from St Louis. Majerus recruited Matt Roth a few years back from Peoria, an area which has its fair share of talent. It would be good for both programs.

Same goes for a Creighton matchup.

Note to SLU AD, when dealing with the MSU AD make sure everything is 100% ironclad in the contract. They try to renig on both handshake agreements and formal contracts alike.

It was a return Bracket Busters game, and those games are bought out quite a bit. A little different situation.

As much as it isn't fun, a handshake isn't a contract. I'm not trying to say what MSU is doing is completely right, as I know don't know the whole story yet. I'm a fan of the program, and not privy to the inner workings of their contracts.

I doubt MSU will agree to a 2-1 with SLU, to answer an earlier question.