Cory Remekun

Majerus talked last night about what Corey's going through academically, and how it's affecting his hoops. He also talked about how great...and difficult the academics are at SLU. After the meeting, my friend and I were talking about that and what wasn't said. Corey has lost his entire "brother" support group at SLU - Smith and JJ transferred, and Willie and Kwamain are gone, at least for the semester. What a downer for him. Coaches can't pump you up as much as your friends. Anyway, I conclude that we need to cut him some slack for the time being - I still like his upside.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Majerus talked last night about what Corey's going through academically, and how it's affecting his hoops. He also talked about how great...and difficult the academics are at SLU. After the meeting, my friend and I were talking about that and what wasn't said. Corey has lost his entire "brother" support group at SLU - Smith and JJ transferred, and Willie and Kwamain are gone, at least for the semester. What a downer for him. Coaches can't pump you up as much as your friends. Anyway, I conclude that we need to cut him some slack for the time being - I still like his upside.

Good Post.

And Evans and Jett even seem like white black dudes to me. Just some light-skinned brothers. The only real brothers left on the team are Remekun and McCall. Dear Jeebus, let Cory's hightop fade give him strength in these trying times.

+1

well my first thoughts are that too often you become who your friends are or vice versa. i would hope that cory would want to break away from the posse that just created the worst off court happening in the basketball program since i have been a billiken in 1978.

to blame his poor play on some sort of depression over his four amigos being gone imo does not speak well for cory.

well my first thoughts are that too often you become who your friends are or vice versa. i would hope that cory would want to break away from the posse that just created the worst off court happening in the basketball program since i have been a billiken in 1978.

to blame his poor play on some sort of depression over his four amigos being gone imo does not speak well for cory.

Were you in your 50s even in your late teens and early 20s? Your expectation for this young man are unreasonable. Or you've forgotten what it's like to be young.

Roy, what the heck are you talking about with this comment. He is upset about the departure of his best friends, he is doing his best to deal with it, and you say that it doesnt speak well for him because he cannot immediately detach himself from his friends and turn into Patrick Ewing. He is doing his best, geez.

This might be the biggest "high horse" comment I have ever heard from you on this site.

If I am misunderstanding you, please clarify...or go cheer for Lindenwood.

Roy, I don't agree with you on this one. There are professional players who went into funks after a teammate was transferred or traded. It happens. I said in another post that the parting of WR may add more pressure to CR's game. CR is still young and nothing about him being deflated seems out of the ordinary to me, regardless of why my friends were gone. If I had a friend or relative get in some trouble and as a result of what they did they may not be around me anymore, I would be deflated in that they weren't in my every day life. You don't have to approve of what somebody does to miss them personally.

Also, this quote of yours kind of goes against how you normally feel about our Billiken players. CR did nothing wrong and is a member of our team. Shouldn't that in itself demand some compassion from you when he struggles personally?

To be fair, RM only made one mention of CR missing the other guys. He spent much more time saying that CR had taken some hard classes and was struggling in school this semester. Hopefully this will mean CR can adjust and have a clearer head come conference play.

Posted Image

Why is RickMa even talking to people about this?

I'm thinking the same thing. But We should know enough about RM by now to know about his lack of a filter.

It does lead to slight concerns about chemistry though. From the fanfest seating arrangement (all the white guys on one side) to the current news about CR, it does seem our team is a tad bit divided along racial lines.

I'm thinking the same thing. But We should know enough about RM by now to know about his lack of a filter.

It does lead to slight concerns about chemistry though. From the fanfest seating arrangement (all the white guys on one side) to the current news about CR, it does seem our team is a tad bit divided along racial lines.

I wonder about that too but it seems to happen at every level of sports and society in gerneral.

With baseball you always here of the Latinos hanging out and the white guys hanging out, with the Rams I see a lot of "nightlife" pictures and its almost always the white players together and the black players together.

I think its just a comfort level and possibly a believed common intrest thing.

I also remember seeing this in high school. Black guys sat at lunch tables with other black guys and white guys sat at lunch tables with other white guys.

Many times these kids come from schools that had 90% of the same race. It may just be what they are comfortable with.

As long as these guys respect each other off the court and trust each other on it I dont think (hope) it would be a problem.

I wonder about that too but it seems to happen at every level of sports and society in gerneral.

With baseball you always here of the Latinos hanging out and the white guys hanging out, with the Rams I see a lot of "nightlife" pictures and its almost always the white players together and the black players together.

I also remember seeing this in high school. Black guys sat at lunch tables with other black guys and white guys sat at lunch tables with other white guys.

Many times these kids come from schools that had 90% of the same race. It may just be what they are comfortable with.

As long as these guys respect each other off the court and trust each other on it I dont think (hope) it would be a problem.

word.

Roy, what the heck are you talking about with this comment. He is upset about the departure of his best friends, he is doing his best to deal with it, and you say that it doesnt speak well for him because he cannot immediately detach himself from his friends and turn into Patrick Ewing. He is doing his best, geez.

This might be the biggest "high horse" comment I have ever heard from you on this site.

If I am misunderstanding you, please clarify...or go cheer for Lindenwood.

Hey, I am in my 50s and still depressed about Mitchell and Reed being gone.

:blink: You are really making a leap here... based on fanfest seating?!?! Come on. McCall and Evans are friends from high school and I think it was reported that Jett and Remekun are roommates. The Aussies are friends and they know Loe. I doubt the kids gave it much thought where they sat down. There are more important things to worry about.

Sorry Roy - you are coming off as what Bernie M would call a "church lady". From what we know, neither KM or WR actually did anything other then be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Should they have left - yes but kids don't always leave when they should. My guess is they will leave the next time. From all indication, KM was doing fine - now WR who knows with all the rumors. RM never mentioned the issue with his friends being gone - it was others who may go to the school who mentioned it. Cory's biggest problem right now is that he apparently is in the wrong major and will need to reevaluate his course of study not unlike many.

Having worked with kids from both races, I have an understanding about it that most would not. To the casual observer, kids that sit in the lunch room by race would lead them to believe there is a mixing problem. The truth is simply does not necessarily mean anything. Kids and people tend to hang out with their kind regardless of race - that does not meant that they don't get along or have friends from both races. Kids who are in class with kids from other races and work with them just fine on a daily basis in the classroom simply in their free time seek out others with their background. There is nothing more to it then that. The same would happen by ages also - look at the next gathering you go to and you will see the younger people tend to drift towards each other and the older ones do the same. Anybody who places any credence to anything else without having specific knowledge of a problem is way off base.

2 things:

-Sorry, Roy, but I have to agree with everyone else disagreeing with you about how this reflects on Cory. They're his friends and he wasn't there. I had a friend get kicked out of SLU freshman year in very much the same way (albeit much faster) for very much the same thing. I don't think that indicts me or any of our other friends.

-I wonder how many people worried about any potential racial division in our team as they drove back home to Chesterfield, St. Charles, O'Fallon, Ballwin, Frontenac, Ladue, Oakville, Fenton, Wildwood, St. Peters, Manchester, Edwardsville, et al.

I wouldn't worry about it. In my four years at SLU, I would consider the racial atmosphere among the team and staff an afterthought. In my experience, everyone was pretty relaxed and casual about race and it never felt divided. Ross Varner and Kenny Brown might not have had a whole lot in common and wouldn't have sought to hang out together outside of basketball functions much, but that doesn't mean they couldn't get along great and be good teammates. No need to create tension where there isn't any; basketball teams are way more peacefully coexistent than society as a whole.

If you think this is even close to the worst off-court incident in recent times than you are extraordinarily naive. A lot of SLU players--and many non-student athletes--have done a lot worse things than these guys. Your "Leave it to Beaver" standard is just unrealistic.

This completely inflammatory and unfounded comment by Roy leads me to believe he says some of these things to get a rise out of people. I had a rant all typed out and stopped and thought; that is exactly what he wants.

Either that or he wants so badly for the current staff to fail that he would have you believe that Majerus recruits and harbors criminals in his program.

Sometimes its very difficult to see where Ol' Roy is coming from