Cory Remekun

2 things:

-Sorry, Roy, but I have to agree with everyone else disagreeing with you about how this reflects on Cory. They're his friends and he wasn't there. I had a friend get kicked out of SLU freshman year in very much the same way (albeit much faster) for very much the same thing. I don't think that indicts me or any of our other friends.

-I wonder how many people worried about any potential racial division in our team as they drove back home to Chesterfield, St. Charles, O'Fallon, Ballwin, Frontenac, Ladue, Oakville, Fenton, Wildwood, St. Peters, Manchester, Edwardsville, et al.

I wouldn't worry about it. In my four years at SLU, I would consider the racial atmosphere among the team and staff an afterthought. In my experience, everyone was pretty relaxed and casual about race and it never felt divided. Ross Varner and Kenny Brown might not have had a whole lot in common and wouldn't have sought to hang out together outside of basketball functions much, but that doesn't mean they couldn't get along great and be good teammates. No need to create tension where there isn't any; basketball teams are way more peacefully coexistent than society as a whole.

You're probably right. But just so you know, I thought those things as I drove back to my house in one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city. I played on a basketball team where I was the only white kid on the team and it wasn't a problem at all. I just hope that it isn't a problem on our team is all.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think this is even close to the worst off-court incident in recent times than you are extraordinarily naive. A lot of SLU players--and many non-student athletes--have done a lot worse things than these guys. Your "Leave it to Beaver" standard is just unrealistic.

The real question is would Eddie and Lumpy stay in the same room with Wally nailing Mary Ellen Rogers? And if so, would Wally let either one or both of them have a go when he's finished.

That's what she said.

hahahaha. oh, and the black kids and white kids will hang out plenty if their interests mandate as such. anthony drejaj and reggie bryant were gotdamn inseparable because their shared interests included drinking, smoking weed and CRUSHING POON.

i don't worry about it at all. majerus is recruiting mostly dorks anyway, so they're going to be just fine.

hahahaha. oh, and the black kids and white kids will hang out plenty if their interests mandate as such. anthony drejaj and reggie bryant were gotdamn inseparable because their shared interests included drinking, smoking weed and CRUSHING POON.

i don't worry about it at all. majerus is recruiting mostly dorks anyway, so they're going to be just fine.

Whose intrest dont include drinking, smoking weed and CRUSHING POON?

You're probably right. But just so you know, I thought those things as I drove back to my house in one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city. I played on a basketball team where I was the only white kid on the team and it wasn't a problem at all. I just hope that it isn't a problem on our team is all.

What you are asking is that a negative be proven and that is very difficult to do. Let me just say that I hope you aren't a drug addict. I am not saying you are just that I hope you are not. See my point. My comment lays the frame work for someone to have doubt about you without a single piece of proof. As I said in an earlier post, unless you know of something specific in regards to this then why would you even hope/wonder about it. Like I said, it requires the proving of a negative which is very hard to do if not impossible at times.

If you think this is even close to the worst off-court incident in recent times than you are extraordinarily naive. A lot of SLU players--and many non-student athletes--have done a lot worse things than these guys. Your "Leave it to Beaver" standard is just unrealistic.

Nark - This may not be the worst thing to happen in college sports, that is certainly true, but in my 30 years of Billiken basketball, I cannot think of any student-athlete behavior that has had a bigger negative impact on the program. I am honestly curious what you are thinking of - I may have forgotten about something.

The real question is would Eddie and Lumpy stay in the same room with Wally nailing Mary Ellen Rogers? And if so, would Wally let either one or both of them have a go when he's finished.

I got to give this a +1 as well, just for remembering Mary Ellen Rogers name.

Nark - This may not be the worst thing to happen in college sports, that is certainly true, but in my 30 years of Billiken basketball, I cannot think of any student-athlete behavior that has had a bigger negative impact on the program. I am honestly curious what you are thinking of - I may have forgotten about something.

I am not aware of anything that became quite as public as this incident, but I was aware of a lot of things that took place that were never reported or hit the headlines. Put simply, we have had quite a few eagles scouts in our program, but we have also had some shady characters over the years. From what I understand, Kwamain is viewed by the staff as one of the eagle scout types of kids, not shady one.

This completely inflammatory and unfounded comment by Roy leads me to believe he says some of these things to get a rise out of people. I had a rant all typed out and stopped and thought; that is exactly what he wants.

Either that or he wants so badly for the current staff to fail that he would have you believe that Majerus recruits and harbors criminals in his program.

Sometimes its very difficult to see where Ol' Roy is coming from

I'm on the same wavelength as you on this one. Roy had to know the rise he'd get out of the majority of the posters with his comment. I was also getting ready to post a long response and decided against it. Just not worth it at this point.

Some of the shenanigans in Grawer's final 3-4 years dwarf the May incident. They just never got to the press and or the press didn't care.

I think Nark's point was the school made this a bigger issue than it ever had to be and went overboard w/ the punishment meted out to WR and KM. If WR's account of the evening is correct/true/accurate, there was no assualt taking place in that room. It was drunk college kids being drunk college kids. Now granted none of us want to believe that's how today's generation acts when they get drunk or high, but "pulling a train" is not a new campus phenomenom. It's been going on for quite a few years. To some extent, one wonders if WR and KM didn't get sandbagged by a well connected young lady who was having some strong second thoughts about her behavior that night and was fearful of the rumors her friends might start circulating. Hence, she needed a backup plan/story and she ran with it. You are right, this definitely is the biggest negative impact on the Bills program that I'm aware of, but mostly because our very high expectations for this season got clobbered by it.

What about the cheerleader getting pregnant by the head BB coach?

Ekker almost single handily put the program in the tank. We came very close on being a DivIII or NAIA school today, playing in the West Pine and talking trash with Harris or Lindenwood supporters. Thank God for Rick Grawer.

For the old timers, Buddy Brehmer was no choir boy either.

Seriously? I never heard anything about this. Who was the coach? Was that what everyone talks about with Ekker?

You don't even want to know the scandal behind the conception of the Baby Billiken...amazing they were able to keep it quiet...very shrewd PR making him co-mascot like they did

-i think this is a great post, thank you duff man

-this does lead me to wonder where is the Baby Billiken now?? been a long since i have seen the Baby

-did the Baby Billiken "go away" with the Baby Blues?

-i think this is a great post, thank you duff man

-this does lead me to wonder where is the Baby Billiken now?? been a long since i have seen the Baby

-did the Baby Billiken "go away" with the Baby Blues?

Baby Billiken still makes appearances every once in a while, but not at every game like he used to.

I do miss the Baby Billiken, along with the Baby Blues, the band's tradition of running a lap around the old Arena, and the old PA announcer.