How the hearing was handled - per Burwell

davidnark

Here you go Skip:

Mitchell's attorney applauded the university's decision Wednesday.

"The administration and the appellate process found that there was no evidence to substantiate that Kwamain should be disciplined for any type of sexual assault," Rogers said. "I anticipate that Kwamain will do everything in his power to satisfy the administration that he is a student worthy of reconsideration when he attempts to re-enroll ... after the first of the year."

Rogers said he would not discuss whether Mitchell was asked to write such a letter, or any other specific requests the university has made in considering whether to re-enroll him.

No criminal charges

That doesn't address Willie Sr.'s accusation that Willie wasn't allowed parents or an atty in the room. It doesn't even address whether Kwamain was afforded equal representation. However, it does insinuate that Kwamain and his family are content with the way things went down.

It probably has to do with the different family dynamics. I know if I was in their position and tried to make the case to my parents that plenty of kids get drunk and have sex in the dorm, they wouldn't have heard it. (As long as the criminal matters weren't involved). I would have been asked simply if I broke the schools rule, if the answer was yes, I'd have been told to take my punishment and do what it takes to make it right.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't address Willie Sr.'s accusation that Willie wasn't allowed parents or an atty in the room. It doesn't even address whether Kwamain was afforded equal representation. However, it does insinuate that Kwamain and his family are content with the way things went down.

It probably has to do with the different family dynamics. I know if I was in their position and tried to make the case to my parents that plenty of kids get drunk and have sex in the dorm, they wouldn't have heard it. (As long as the criminal matters weren't involved). I would have been asked simply if I broke the schools rule, if the answer was yes, I'd have been told to take my punishment and do what it takes to make it right.

Just a gut feeling but it seems KM's mom is a pretty strong willed lady with very high ideals and values discipline. When KM started listening to recruiters during his AAU circuit days, mom quickly jumped in and quashed those ideas. She may simply be upset her son was a little too druink and did something, not criminal, no reasonable parent would want their son or daughter doing. Finally, if anyone knows what really happened in that room besides those directly involved, I gotta feeling Mrs. Mitchell does and she said, you're taking this punishment like a man and then you're getting yourself back there to finish your eduacation and commitment to RM.

Just a gut feeling but it seems KM's mom is a pretty strong willed lady with very high ideals and values discipline. When KM started listening to recruiters during his AAU circuit days, mom quickly jumped in and quashed those ideas. She may simply be upset her son was a little too druink and did something, not criminal, no reasonable parent would want their son or daughter doing. Finally, if anyone knows what really happened in that room besides those directly involved, I gotta feeling Mrs. Mitchell does and she said, you're taking this punishment like a man and then you're getting yourself back there to finish your eduacation and commitment to RM.

I get the same gut feeling, and if it's correct, kudos to her.

However, that doesn't make it ok if what we've heard on how this matter was handled with the student court is correct.

HATE.

I am not sure if this has any relevance or if it is accurate, but Frank C said that Kwamain doesn't drink.

That's correct.

I'm sure Kwamain's lawyer's statement was because he knows Kwamain is going to try to re-enroll, so there's no need to bash the University.

This could all get REAL ugly with Willie and his family. SLU is going to end up shelling out a few million to settle out of the public's eye; and if they don't do that, they are taking some major risks.

I must say, John Smith is the worst thing that has happened to SLU basketball in a long, long time.

Yes. I heard the same on the radio with Frank. KM doesn't drink and therefore probably was not drunk but WR may have been drunk. Also, reading between the lines, it sure sounds to me that the big difference between KM and WR is that WR has had other prior issues on campus. Therefore, even though the punishments sound the same, it appears that WR may have been mentioned in a more negative light in the ruling as a possible repeat offender of school rules, probably alcohol related. Not at all suggeting WR was found guilty of sexual assault here or was involved in prior sexual assaults. If either had been, they would have been expelled and not suspended for one (1) year. KM's attorney suggests that he was cleard by the student court as to sexual assault but his involvement was still deserving of a suspension. Still not sure why his would be a temporary suspension and WR's being a permanent one? Anyone with thoughts on that?

That's correct.

I'm sure Kwamain's lawyer's statement was because he knows Kwamain is going to try to re-enroll, so there's no need to bash the University.

This could all get REAL ugly with Willie and his family. SLU is going to end up shelling out a few million to settle out of the public's eye; and if they don't do that, they are taking some major risks.

I must say, John Smith is the worst thing that has happened to SLU basketball in a long, long time.

We will see how far Willie's family wants to push this. It might not be in Willie's best interest to file a lawsuit against the school. While stuff might come out that makes the school look bad, there is good chance there is plenty that would come out that wouldn't help Willie's pro stock.

We will see how far Willie's family wants to push this. It might not be in Willie's best interest to file a lawsuit against the school. While stuff might come out that makes the school look bad, there is good chance there is plenty that would come out that wouldn't help Willie's pro stock.

If another post is true, WR just needs to concentrate on staying out of the K-St. coaches doghouse. If Willie thinks RM was tough, wait until he has to deal with Frank Martin (?) at K-St. That guy can be a wild man.

Wonder if WR would like to take a lie detector test in front of his Dad?

If Kwamain was cleared of sexual assault by the student board and wasn't drunk, what did he do to deserve this severe of a punishment?

If Willie was cleared of sexual assault by the student board, what did he do to deserve this punishment?

Have to keep the donors happy.

If Kwamain was cleared of sexual assault by the student board and wasn't drunk, what did he do to deserve this severe of a punishment?

If Willie was cleared of sexual assault by the student board, what did he do to deserve this punishment?

Maybe being present while Jon Smith did what he did?????? Who knows?

Maybe being present while Jon Smith did what he did?????? Who knows?

I'm serious, this begs for the question to be asked. If he didn't do the f..k, what the f..k did he do?

The way I feel about the situation now has me leaning strongly towards ending any affiliation I have with SLU.

I'm serious, this begs for the question to be asked. If he didn't do the f..k, what the f..k did he do?

The way I feel about the situation now has me leaning strongly towards ending any affiliation I have with SLU.

There are all sorts of potential permutations. Notice that the student handbook says that having sexual relations with a student who is drunk does not constitute consent. If you the male student are not drunk but have sex with a drunk girl thinking she consented (perhaps outwardly it looked that way), then you may honestly believe there was consent but the SLU student handbook says there can be no consent in this case. The student court may have found Kamain had reason to believe there was consent but disciplined for violated whatever school rule says 'no sex with drunk girls' (I think David posted it a few days ago). Which, of course, means a large portion of us who attended SLU should have been thrown out of school for violating this rule. Kudos to Kawain if this is what happened and he is taking his medicine nonetheless.

There are all sorts of potential permutations. Notice that the student handbook says that having sexual relations with a student who is drunk does not constitute consent. If you the male student are not drunk but have sex with a drunk girl thinking she consented (perhaps outwardly it looked that way), then you may honestly believe there was consent but the SLU student handbook says there can be no consent in this case. The student court may have found Kamain had reason to believe there was consent but disciplined for violated whatever school rule says 'no sex with drunk girls' (I think David posted it a few days ago). Which, of course, means a large portion of us who attended SLU should have been thrown out of school for violating this rule. Kudos to Kawain if this is what happened and he is taking his medicine nonetheless.

Davola feasted on girls that weren't sober in his hay-day. He'd probably be a 30 yr old virgin otherwise.

and if that's the case and the punishment for that is being expelled or suspended, it's ridiculous.

Davola feasted on girls that weren't sober in his hay-day. He'd probably be a 30 yr old virgin otherwise.

hell I spent my years in college looking for the last one standing.

Drunk girls have a harder time realizing that im not very attractive or all that successful.

hell I spent my years in college looking for the last one standing.

Drunk girls have a harder time realizing that im not very attractive or all that successful.

Diary - LOL We may have hooked up then.

Speaking of which...how is your sister doing these days? Give her my regards.

The entire picture will never be clear because th eschool must keep it confidential. But recall what I said earlier that you should not just accept the statements of Mr Reed as true. Note that KM had counsel and he has said he is satisfied. There are hundreds of things a student can do to break the rules of conduct that do not constitute sexual assault. The real problem is that the Reeds are giving one side of a veer complicated story and the university cannot respond. Do not just accept all of these rumors as facts.

The entire picture will never be clear because th eschool must keep it confidential. But recall what I said earlier that you should not just accept the statements of Mr Reed as true. Note that KM had counsel and he has said he is satisfied. There are hundreds of things a student can do to break the rules of conduct that do not constitute sexual assault. The real problem is that the Reeds are giving one side of a veer complicated story and the university cannot respond. Do not just accept all of these rumors as facts.

Billikan, you are a smart businessman, a loyal alumnus, and a steward of the law. Don't be naive here. Yes, the accused are not without fault, but the school screwed up this process in so many ways it is almost unfathomable. I am typically a loyal defender of my alma mater, but their handling of this situation is embarrassing and offensive in so many ways.

I am not sure where I come down yet. But the Reeds handle themselves well in the media.

The one thing from the KDSK extended interview is that Willie said that he could have two character witnesses, and it was recommended to him that these not be his parents. Willie Reed Sr. however repeated that he did not have the opportunity to be in the room. It is splitting hairs, but Reed Jr. could have had Reed Sr. in the room as a character witness.

My prior is that I think SLU messed up big here. These University Courts have a reputation for being awful, and this may be a result of that. It however is odd that so many trusted insiders seemed to be told one thing, and the result was another.

Billikan, you are a smart businessman, a loyal alumnus, and a steward of the law. Don't be naive here. Yes, the accused are not without fault, but the school screwed up this process in so many ways it is almost unfathomable. I am typically a loyal defender of my alma mater, but their handling of this situation is embarrassing and offensive in so many ways.

The problem is that many folks are presuming that what has been said by the Reeds is completely accurate. In every legal situation the folks involved tend to see things only in the light most favorable to them and that is particularly true when they know the other side is prevented from responding so the true whole story is never told. On this board many seem to just ignore the fact that there is another side to this story which has not been told.