Most Informative Article Yet

SluSignGuy

Two of St. Louis University's top basketball players are no longer on the team or enrolled at the university — at least until January — amid allegations they sexually assaulted a female student.

The university released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying Kwamain Mitchell, the team's leading scorer, and Willie Reed Jr., a key starter, were no longer enrolled. The university would not comment further, saying it was legally obligated to protect the students' privacy.

Sources said the university's student conduct committee held a hearing last month involving allegations of a sexual assault May 1 and recommended a harsher punishment — a one-year suspension for each player. But in response to an appeal, the university administration set aside that recommendation and told the players they could return in January if they met certain conditions, sources said.

Mitchell hopes to return in January, said his attorney, John Rogers. But Reed insists he did nothing wrong and does not plan to return to SLU, said his father, Willie Reed Sr.

The departures come as SLU's basketball team was looking forward to its best season in years.

Mitchell's attorney applauded the university's decision Wednesday.

"The administration and the appellate process found that there was no evidence to substantiate that Kwamain should be disciplined for any type of sexual assault," Rogers said. "I anticipate that Kwamain will do everything in his power to satisfy the administration that he is a student worthy of reconsideration when he attempts to re-enroll ... after the first of the year."

Reed's father said his son intends to ask SLU for a release from his athletic scholarship so he can enroll and play elsewhere.

"I'm not happy with the process — the way everything happened, the accusations that were brought up against him," Willie Reed Sr. said. "He said he didn't do anything. ... What (SLU is) saying is, 'Hey, we're suspending both of them for a semester and they can reapply back to the school.'"

Willie Reed Sr. said the players were told they would have to give a written apology "to the young lady, to the school, to the coaches, to the teammates. And I said my son is not doing that (because) he didn't do anything."

Rogers said he would not discuss whether Mitchell was asked to write such a letter, or any other specific requests the university has made in considering whether to re-enroll him.

No criminal charges

St. Louis police questioned three SLU basketball players in early May after a 20-year-old SLU student said she had been sexually assaulted in the campus's Grand Forest Apartments on Laclede Avenue by two people she knew. (The third player has since left SLU.)

Police investigators presented the case to prosecutors, but the St. Louis circuit attorney's office decided against filing charges. In a statement in May, Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce said her office had found "insufficient evidence for us to bring charges against the suspects at this time." The statement said her office would continue to seek additional information, "and if circumstances change, we will re-evaluate the matter."

Ed Postawko, the chief warrants officer for the circuit attorney's office, said Tuesday that while no charges have been filed, the office's sex crimes unit was still reviewing the case and that it has been classified as "taken under advisement."

"Because of the serious nature of charges like this, we like to be thorough and not rush anything," Postawko said.

David Korum, an attorney for the woman who reported the assault, said in May that the student and her family were disappointed that no charges had been filed. He said that the woman would continue to provide information to police and push for action by the university against her alleged attackers.

SLU's policy on sexual assault says that "even if criminal justice authorities choose not to prosecute, the university can pursue disciplinary action." Such action could result in dismissal or suspension.

The policy defines sexual assault as 'sexual contact without consent." The policy includes acts "committed either by force, intimidation or through use of the victim's mental incapacity or physical helplessness, including intoxication."

Korum could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Sources who know the female student said she did not return to SLU this semester.

SLU graduate student Audrey Madison, a former leader of SLU's feminist group, Una, said Wednesday that the administration didn't go far enough in its decision regarding the players.

"It doesn't seem like a very harsh sentence," she said. "It makes it seem like someone at SLU who has a lot of stock just wants some of the star players to play."

Mitchell and Reed have been Billiken standouts. Mitchell, a junior who has started at point guard since his freshman season, was a second-team all-Atlantic 10 selection last season, and Reed, also a junior, received honorable mention.

This had the makings of a breakout season for SLU as coach Rick Majerus' rebuilding program moved into its next phase. After two seasons of being one of the youngest teams in the nation, the anchors of SLU's team were juniors.

Majerus declined to comment Wednesday. "I've been instructed by the university not to speak on the matter, and so I won't," he said.

A Post-Dispatch reporter saw Mitchell playing basketball with SLU team members Wednesday at the Chaifetz Arena, but Mitchell left without talking to the reporter.

Tom Timmermann of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_ac3cea15-8003-56e7-8035-d8ca93d41160.html

There is nothing worse than feminists. It's funny because they think that women should be equals yet when a woman gets drunk they can't consent but apparently a man obviously is able to.

It is ridiculous to say that it is not a harsh punishment when the school didn't release exactly what the punishment is for. There is no basis for saying it is not a harsh punishment until you know what the school says they did wrong.

Also, I am very glad to see Kwa will be back, or at least according to his attorney.

There is nothing worse than feminists. It's funny because they think that women should be equals yet when a woman gets drunk they can't consent but apparently a man obviously is able to.

I think the takeaways should be that Mitchell's lawyer says he intends to return.

After thinking about the whole sexist angle for a bit, I think i have to re-think my position a little. When I re-read the policy: "The policy includes acts 'committed either by force, intimidation or through use of the victim's mental incapacity or physical helplessness, including intoxication'", it means more to me than just having sex with someone who was a little tipsy. It pretty clearly says that someone who is intoxicated to the point of being incapacitated/helpless.

And let's do a reality check, not a lot of college gals are getting guys drunk to the point of the guys passing out and then having their way with these guys.

Sure, this policy is a little biased, but there's a reason for that bias.

If this all ends up coming to pass I actually don't feel too bad about the future or even this season. Everyone wants a top big man, I understand that. But one advantage of not being in a BCS conference with a bunch of huge state schools is that we will play a lot of equally small teams. This team may not be the NCAA near-lock I thought they could be. But I think it can still be a solid team and finish in the top half of the A-10 at least.

The program still has had its best 3 years of recruiting...possibly ever.

I still intend to go to every game and enjoy myself. But everyone else can stay on a ledge/bridge if they want.

Hope spring eternal.

If this all ends up coming to pass I actually don't feel too bad about the future or even this season. Everyone wants a top big man, I understand that. But one advantage of not being in a BCS conference with a bunch of huge state schools is that we will play a lot of equally small teams. This team may not be the NCAA near-lock I thought they could be. But I think it can still be a solid team and finish in the top half of the A-10 at least.

The program still has had its best 3 years of recruiting...possibly ever.

I still intend to go to every game and enjoy myself. But everyone else can stay on a ledge/bridge if they want.

Hope spring eternal.

I am not willing to resign myself to the idea that WR is for sure done. When he talks with KM and his other friends on the team, and he considers his goal of the NBA, he might realize that SLU is the best current option. There is certainly a chance he stays, and our other bigs develop in the playing time they are thrust into.

I am not willing to resign myself to the idea that WR is for sure done. When he talks with KM and his other friends on the team, and he considers his goal of the NBA, he might realize that SLU is the best current option. There is certainly a chance he stays, and our other bigs develop in the playing time they are thrust into.

There is doing what is best for his career. And then there is essentially admitting to be someone who sexually assaulted a woman. Don't forget the consequences he faces either way.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it is great that Mitchell plans to return. This is the best news I've heard all day. I also agree about Willie..right now it is a knee jerk reaction, just like most of the posts are on here are (including mine). But after he cools down, realizes how many friends and teammates are counting on him, I think he may reconsider.

Mitchell's attorney applauded the university's decision Wednesday.

"The administration and the appellate process found that there was no evidence to substantiate that Kwamain should be disciplined for any type of sexual assault," Rogers said. "I anticipate that Kwamain will do everything in his power to satisfy the administration that he is a student worthy of reconsideration when he attempts to re-enroll ... after the first of the year."

Reed's father said his son intends to ask SLU for a release from his athletic scholarship so he can enroll and play elsewhere.

"I'm not happy with the process the way everything happened, the accusations that were brought up against him," Willie Reed Sr. said. "He said he didn't do anything. ... What (SLU is) saying is, 'Hey, we're suspending both of them for a semester and they can reapply back to the school.'"

Willie Reed Sr. said the players were told they would have to give a written apology "to the young lady, to the school, to the coaches, to the teammates. And I said my son is not doing that (because) he didn't do anything."

If the administration and the appellate process found no evidence to substantiate any type of sexual assault, then what is the need for the apology to the young lady???? It doesn't make sense.

After thinking about the whole sexist angle for a bit, I think i have to re-think my position a little. When I re-read the policy: "The policy includes acts 'committed either by force, intimidation or through use of the victim's mental incapacity or physical helplessness, including intoxication'", it means more to me than just having sex with someone who was a little tipsy. It pretty clearly says that someone who is intoxicated to the point of being incapacitated/helpless.

And let's do a reality check, not a lot of college gals are getting guys drunk to the point of the guys passing out and then having their way with these guys.

Sure, this policy is a little biased, but there's a reason for that bias.

And if both the guy and the girl are intoxicated?

Who violated the policy at that point?

I was thinking the same thing. I think it is great that Mitchell plans to return. This is the best news I've heard all day. I also agree about Willie..right now it is a knee jerk reaction, just like most of the posts are on here are (including mine). But after he cools down, realizes how many friends and teammates are counting on him, I think he may reconsider.

WR and his Dad were just on KSDK. He has his release and clearly, based on his comments and his Dad's comments, we have seen the ast of WR in a SLU uniform.

Side question: Since he has his release does he still need to sit out a year if he goes to a D1 program?

WR and his Dad were just on KSDK. He has his release and clearly, based on his comments and his Dad's comments, we have seen the ast of WR in a SLU uniform.

Side question: Since he has his release does he still need to sit out a year if he goes to a D1 program?

yes he sits a year. my question is does the year start next semester or this semester?

The whole thing just pisses me off. Pissed pissed pissed. If I was Willie's dad I would be pissed too. It is hard to know if the girl is telling a story, but Willie's dad obviously believes him. Everyone agrees the whole process sucked. Willie's dad seemed maddest that the girl had a lawyer and he did not. Kwamain has one of the best lawyers in town. Why would SLU give him a lawyer and not Willy?

The whole thing just pisses me off. Pissed pissed pissed. If I was Willie's dad I would be pissed too. It is hard to know if the girl is telling a story, but Willie's dad obviously believes him. Everyone agrees the whole process sucked. Willie's dad seemed maddest that the girl had a lawyer and he did not. Kwamain has one of the best lawyers in town. Why would SLU give him a lawyer and not Willy?

It is my understanding that Kwamain was not represented by a lawyer at the hearing and that Kwamain's mom was also not allowed to attend. I mentioned earlier that the accuser didn't face the accused. I have been told that the accuser and her father turned their chairs away from the accused during the hearing while their attorneys' participated. If I were on the panel, I would have kicked them out on the spot for disrespect, and I would have filed an ethical complaint against their attorneys for allowing them to do so. This process makes me embarrassed to be a SLU grad (twice).

It is my understanding that Kwamain was not represented by a lawyer at the hearing and that Kwamain's mom was also not allowed to attend. I mentioned earlier that the accuser didn't face the accused. I have been told that the accuser and her father turned their chairs away from the accused during the hearing while their attorneys' participated. If I were on the panel, I would have kicked them out on the spot for disrespect, and I would have filed an ethical complaint against their attorneys for allowing them to do so. This process makes me embarrassed to be a SLU grad (twice).

Wow. Just wow. NO ATTORNEYS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE, PERIOD. Unbelievable. I really hope this blows up. I don't need my school for a job any more and I hope SLU gets nailed to the wall for this. I hope there was no sexual assault for everyone's sake, but it wouldn't even matter if it did. That is just a blatant case of partiality because A BIG DONOR GOT HIS PANTIES IN A BUNCH over his friend's daughter. I can't believe SLU would be so incompetent in how they went about stacking the deck in their favor. Really disappointing.

Wow. Just wow. NO ATTORNEYS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE, PERIOD. Unbelievable. I really hope this blows up. I don't need my school for a job any more and I hope SLU gets nailed to the wall for this. I hope there was no sexual assault for everyone's sake, but it wouldn't even matter if it did. That is just a blatant case of partiality because A BIG DONOR GOT HIS PANTIES IN A BUNCH over his friend's daughter. I can't believe SLU would be so incompetent in how they went about stacking the deck in their favor. Really disappointing.

If, in fact, Kwamain and Willie were given a 2L handle their case, WHY IN THE H#LL didn't he (or she) object to the attorney being present at the very beginning...A simple review of the Code of Procedures makes it clear an attorney isn't allowed...

If, in fact, Kwamain and Willie were given a 2L handle their case, WHY IN THE H#LL didn't he (or she) object to the attorney being present at the very beginning...A simple review of the Code of Procedures makes it clear an attorney isn't allowed...

I wonder if anyone actually realized the lawyer rule until Nark's post (at SLU or anywhere).

yes he sits a year. my question is does the year start next semester or this semester?

Roy, Diamond Taylor was arrested at Wisconsin and transferred to SIU on October 9th of last year. He immediately enrolled at SIU but is not eligible until 1st Semester ends and will have 3.5 years of eligibility. WR will have 1.5 years of eligibility where ever he transfers, even if he uses this year as his red shirt.

i think we can all agree that the players are at fault. even willie said he would have accepted "community service and a couple games" for being in the room and not stopping. but the school is just as much at fault if not more. maybe not everything said by the reed family has been 100% true but if even half of what they say is true, slu completely screwed this one up. the players probably deserved a punishment but kicking them out of school completely was probably too harsh. just the school trying to protect it's image and compromise, but i doubt that made either party happy. slu was in a lose lose situation, but that doesn't change how ridiculously poorly they handled it all. if they would have taken care of this right away, it could be a different story. also they are never allowed to live on campus again. why? are they a danger to the students? did they break a campus rule by being present while 2 other people had sex in a dorm? i dont know on this one. but if they would be considered a danger to the students, they should have never been allowed on campus this fall. slu messed this one up just as much, if not more, than the players. i hope the reed family goes through with legal action. even if they lose, they'll make sure the public realizes what slu did wrong. i'm not saying that because slu ruined the reed name, the reed''s should ruin slu's name, but something should be done in my opinion.