New Blue Crew Name

In a much needed and overdue cleansing of the Blue Crew, the athletics department is holding an official competition for students to come up with the best name for the student section. I think we all remember how the last contest SLU held went, but you have to admit that Blue Crew was unoriginal and uninspiring. Also, this may help some or the students who are passionate Bills fans but can't stand the somewhat corny Blue Crew, get involved in the tradition making process.

I'm interested to see what the diehards think. I'm a little disappointed I'm missing this bus as I graduated in May but I am pumped to see spirit on the rise. LETS GO BILLS.

Typed this up on my iPhone. Shout out to the new design and it's creators for the improved access on mobile devices and overall astetic quality.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a much needed and overdue cleansing of the Blue Crew, the athletics department is holding an official competition for students to come up with the best name for the student section. I think we all remember how the last contest SLU held went, but you have to admit that Blue Crew was unoriginal and uninspiring. Also, this may help some or the students who are passionate Bills fans but can't stand the somewhat corny Blue Crew, get involved in the tradition making process.

I'm interested to see what the diehards think. I'm a little disappointed I'm missing this bus as I graduated in May but I am pumped to see spirit on the rise. LETS GO BILLS.

Typed this up on my iPhone. Shout out to the new design and it's creators for the improved access on mobile devices and overall astetic quality.

I did not come up with the name Blue Crew, am sure another name of equal or better can be found, believe the students themselves should come up with the name subject to the school's reasonable review/approval, but personally never found it that corny that students wouldn't want to be part of it or associated with it.

Call yourselves whatever you want. Just keep showing up with enthusiasm.

While you may need to have Chicago Billiken or Eskimo sign over the naming rights, I always thought "The Eskimos" was fitting and generally hilarious, although the average fan probably wouldn't get it.

How about the "Billy Buds"?

Combines a reference to the billikens, St. Louis' best known company, and exposure to a liberal education... :rolleyes:

Combines a reference to the billikens, St. Louis' best known company, and exposure to a liberal education... :rolleyes:

St. Louis no longer has any say and Belgium would probably say no.

The Band could rechart the fight song as a shanty; everyone could wear blue bandanas and blue eye patches; and they could wave giant Spongebobs and shout "yaaaaaaaaar" during opponents' free throws (and/or pop flip-tops on beer cans. On our side, everyone would have to chug whenever Willie *makes* a free throw. And the Ricans could wear oversized blue-checked shorts.) This has potential. B)

I am pretty excited that Blue Crew is being renamed. The reputation of Blue Crew for whatever reason has been poor over the last 6 years or so. A rebranding should help this.

How exactly is it going to help? I'm not against the name change, but it's not like people are going to get involved just because it's not the blue crew anymore. There needs to be a greater push amongst the student body to get more people out in order to actually draw bigger number. As we saw last year, getting some win's can definitely help this cause.

The Saints.

Homage to the school name, the "fight" song we play, etc.

Screw the New Orleans Saints and any IP issues. And in any event, up until last year they were known as the Aints, so i doubt their use of the generic term saints has any secondary meaning. :-)

How exactly is it going to help? I'm not against the name change, but it's not like people are going to get involved just because it's not the blue crew anymore. There needs to be a greater push amongst the student body to get more people out in order to actually draw bigger number. As we saw last year, getting some win's can definitely help this cause.

I guess I'm still remembering the days when "Blue Crew" was heckled by their fellow students.

While you may need to have Chicago Billiken or Eskimo sign over the naming rights, I always thought "The Eskimos" was fitting and generally hilarious, although the average fan probably wouldn't get it.

I'm honored SShoe...I'm sure you'd be surprised to learn there was never a trademark in place, so the name is fair game.

I'm honored SShoe...I'm sure you'd be surprised to learn there was never a trademark in place, so the name is fair game.

Well there you go. That's my vote because it's funny, original, relevant to our mascot, and something the students could get behind. The students could also build a big cardboard igloo in the corner of the student section. Might not be the most PC thing ever, but I seriously doubt anyone in Alaska would raise a fit, except maybe Palin.

This year the Blue Crew name changes...next year, new, original fight song??? One can only hope.

Is the Blue Crew somehow associated with the band? I thought the band was a bunch of dorks (lovable...but dorks). If the Blue Crew somehow got associated with their cheers, then I can see the problem.

Just kick the band out of the Blue Crew. Problem solved.

nice. the band is what has carried the "student section for decades. and you want to call them "dorks". nice. i for one will stand up for the band any day over ANY student fan. their track record is spectacular for supporting the billikens and deserve more respect than you just posted. you should be banned from anything billiken for life.

there is nothing wrong with the name "blue crew". the problem is not the name.

the problem is that the likes of 05 and running billiken are the exception to the rule that apparently exists on campus about being too cool to be a student fan in an actual cheer section. i dont think changing a name will ever bring the greeks to the front row, etc.

nice. the band is what has carried the "student section for decades. and you want to call them "dorks". nice. i for one will stand up for the band any day over ANY student fan. their track record is spectacular for supporting the billikens and deserve more respect than you just posted. you should be banned from anything billiken for life.

the problem is that the likes of 05 and running billiken are the exception to the rule that apparently exists on campus about being too cool to be a student fan in an actual cheer section. i dont think changing a name will ever bring the greeks to the front row, etc.

I don't agree about the greeks. I know it's ancient history but in my day it was the greeks who supported the team. Each frat had large sections and competed with each other for noise,numbers etc. It's just a matter of it becoming the thing to do for the greeks to jump on board.

Is the Blue Crew somehow associated with the band? I thought the band was a bunch of dorks (lovable...but dorks). If the Blue Crew somehow got associated with their cheers, then I can see the problem.

Just kick the band out of the Blue Crew. Problem solved.

Lets just kick this guy out of the message board. problem solved.

Aside from all the white-hair, cardigan-sweater-wearing old-timers who have been supporting the Bills for years and years, both with their presence/ticket purchases and with their checkbooks, there is not another group more loyal to the Billiken program. I am not musically inclined and have never been part of the band, but the Band has been the only constant since I have been following the program since 1979. They spend hours and hours practicing, attending home games, going to women's games, going to other sporting events, going on the road for Conference tournament games. The Band deserves our thanks -- not some new poster to come on here and call them "dorks."

As to the Greeks, in years when they are more organized and active, they can and do attend. The problem is that SLU should not be relying upon the Greeks to regularly attend games. Students don't join fraternities/sororities to to attend basketball games. Whether Greeks or not, students should support the team. In the face of complete student apathy, a few games attended by the Greeks is welcomed but not the answer.

There are some inane conversations and threads on this board, eh? I can say that, I've started a few.

What is the name of the student section at Butler? Gonzaga? Georgetown? Maryland? Florida? Whogivesafuque U? I have never heard say "I'm going to the game because its 'cheer' night." Or "What time do the Cameron Crazies have to be there?" You don't need a studnet section name, millenials. Coming an dsittin gon your hands doesn't get you a 'participation' award. Go nuts, forchristsake. Every game; all game.

There are some inane conversations and threads on this board, eh? I can say that, I've started a few.

What is the name of the student section at Butler? Gonzaga? Georgetown? Maryland? Florida? Whogivesafuque U? I have never heard say "I'm going to the game because its 'cheer' night." Or "What time do the Cameron Crazies have to be there?" You don't need a studnet section name, millenials. Coming an dsittin gon your hands doesn't get you a 'participation' award. Go nuts, forchristsake. Every game; all game.

Taj wins. The section will henceforth be called the Blue Crew Fuque U. The new fight song will have to be awesome. ;)