New Blue Crew Name

Is the Blue Crew somehow associated with the band? I thought the band was a bunch of dorks (lovable...but dorks). If the Blue Crew somehow got associated with their cheers, then I can see the problem.

Just kick the band out of the Blue Crew. Problem solved.

Just curious, what did you mean by dork?

dork (dôrk)

n.

1. A stupid, inept, or foolish person

2. The penis

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some inane conversations and threads on this board, eh? I can say that, I've started a few.

What is the name of the student section at Butler? Gonzaga? Georgetown? Maryland? Florida? Whogivesafuque U? I have never heard say "I'm going to the game because its 'cheer' night." Or "What time do the Cameron Crazies have to be there?" You don't need a studnet section name, millenials. Coming an dsittin gon your hands doesn't get you a 'participation' award. Go nuts, forchristsake. Every game; all game.

I know Missouri State changed their student section name last year and while I don't know the 'effect' it's had on student attendance, they have pretty good student support over the years regardless.

Is the Blue Crew somehow associated with the band? I thought the band was a bunch of dorks (lovable...but dorks). If the Blue Crew somehow got associated with their cheers, then I can see the problem.

Just kick the band out of the Blue Crew. Problem solved.

The Band and Blue Crew are NOT associated with one another. Band members are not members of Blue Crew, and Blue Crew members are not members of the Band. As I understand it, Blue Crew is a student organization. The Band, as well as the Saintsations and any of their predecessor groups, fall under the auspices of the Athletic Department. We just happen to be located next to each other during games, as we should be.

As a Band member, I believe that the student section/Blue Crew/Name TBD is an important ingredient to the atmosphere at Chaifetz. In the Dayton game last season, I almost had to stop playing my trumpet during "Don't Stop Believin'" because I wanted to take in just how cool the moment was, with the Band playing and the students swaying with those blue and white balloons in perfect time with the music. If the students are present, enthusiastic, and in large numbers, it makes what we do as musicians that much better.

Obviously there is some collaboration between the two groups. People in one group have friends in the other, so ideas are passed around. If I find some good heckling material about an opponent online before a game, I'll pass it along to not only other band members who I find to be excellent hecklers and are also closer to the court than I, but I'll also pass it along to billikenfan05, as he is even closer to the opponents than us, plus I'm not sure if he and his buddies have any limits on what they might say.

As far as the Band being called a bunch of dorks, I appreciate the positive comments from the posters here who are fans of the Band. We always like positive feedback. All things considered though, I don't really care if some tool on a message board calls us a bunch of dorks. Maybe we are dorks, or maybe we aren't. I don't know or care.

I don't agree about the greeks. I know it's ancient history but in my day it was the greeks who supported the team. Each frat had large sections and competed with each other for noise,numbers etc. It's just a matter of it becoming the thing to do for the greeks to jump on board.

I would love to see the greeks come out in full force. I really have nothing against current greeks, just the ones who decided to heckle us my freshman year who have since graduated. I just would like them to join and forget about the fact that they are a fraternity and join in with the rest of the students in cheers. This has already gotten better thanks to many of the posters on this board including kcbill etc... I think changing the name will only help further as then they will feel like they had a hand in naming the student section.

I think the Blue Crew is a great name. I really don't understand why anyone would want to change it. As attendance increases as it surely will, the name will grow in popularity, along with a lot of wins of course. I'm just sayin.

I prefer "SLU Crew" since so many other school already use Blue Crew.

As for as student/frat attendance, not to mention the general public. I think it really is as simple a making a Bills game the "in" thing to do. The downside to that is that it would make the game more a social event than a die-hard fanhouse,

I'm in the camp that the name doesn't and shouldn't matter one way or another. More times than not, the group and organization is what the appeal is. You can have the greatest name in the world, but if the student section is lame then it won't matter and people will start to associate that name with a lackluster group. If you have a great, enthusiastic, loyal, and rowdy student section the appeal will be there regardless of the name.

I believe better time would be spent thinking of how to market the student section to the student body and clever ways to recruit and retain people.

If they feel they must come up with a new name, then I would come up with 6 names or so and let the students vote. Once they pick a winner, then keep the momentum and put on a full court press to make the name known and recruit and retain students.

I like the Blue Crew, SLUnatics, SLU Crew - they are all good. Just make them work.

Also, keep in mind that an original name or a name tied to an inside story usually gets you more attention in the long run.

Maybe tie the name to the lady that invented the Billiken - Florence Pretz or something like that. That's it, The Pretzels! Okay, maybe not.

I always thought the Blue Crew name was boring but I have no faith that SLU will change it to a better name. It will almost certainly be worse.

The band is really the only mainstay of the Billiken faithful. Even in the last ten years we've had snow or ice storms that caused only 2,000 people to show up, but the band is always in full force. Don't get started with with crowds in the late 70s and early 80s where it was 5 guys and the band.Probably the only thing I agree with Guy Phillips about is him calling our band the greatest pep band.

agree with everyone. the band is amazing. they really keep the blood pumping in the student section when there is a stoppage in play or entertain us when there is only 20 of us there. just watched green street hooligans the other day. just throwing this one out there. "Grand Street Hooligans" as our University in located on Grand.

agree with everyone. the band is amazing. they really keep the blood pumping in the student section when there is a stoppage in play or entertain us when there is only 20 of us there. just watched green street hooligans the other day. just throwing this one out there. "Grand Street Hooligans" as our University in located on Grand.

I actually really like that. But, I don't know if they might find it too long.

I would love to see the greeks come out in full force. I really have nothing against current greeks, just the ones who decided to heckle us my freshman year who have since graduated. I just would like them to join and forget about the fact that they are a fraternity and join in with the rest of the students in cheers. This has already gotten better thanks to many of the posters on this board including kcbill etc... I think changing the name will only help further as then they will feel like they had a hand in naming the student section.

We never heckled you because you were part of Blue Crew. It was because you tried to run EVERYTHING on your own. We are all for one, not one for all!

Not to burst any bubbles, but the correct names are Grand Boulevard and Laclede Avenue, neither of which are particularly poetic.

(I'm also guessing SLUnatics would get slapped -- or perhaps rapped -- with a trademark-infringement suit faster than you could say "Whoa, Nelly.")