Student Turnout

Band Guy

Just curious if anyone has any estimates on how many students actually made it last night and whether or not the busses ran smoothly. All I know is it was decently roaring in there and I would like to see more of the same for Saturday.

Given the opportunity, the athletic department should throw a pregame party on saturday before the busses leave and maybe we could fill the arena. I would like to see more blue and white and less green and gold (assuming we play ND).

I don't think the student turn out was that great.....besides the Blue Crew. I sat in section 106 and the majority of Bills fans seemed to be older. I am a class of 92 graduate and I wish the current students would realize what a great thing they have in this team.

I am sure the Family Arena's location or the time of the game didn't help the student turnout either.....

We need to stop making excuses for our student body. Their support of this team is PATHETIC and is hard for me to understand. When I attended SLU few students lived on campus, yet student turnout was MUCH better than now and the teams were not this good. Students back in the 60s-the 80s actually had to go home and drive back down to Kiel-we didn't have buses to shuttle us from door-to-door.

What in the world is wrong with the current student body? And don't tell me it is just a different era, Students at other schools, even other city schools like Marquette, flock to the games. Does anybody have an answer to this problem?

If the game is played indeed in St. Charles .... and it is indeed a Saturday .... then the athletic and marketing departments are missing a huge opportunity here .... throw a party in the freakin' parking lot. Get the busses out early. Make a day of it. Get the Bikini Clad Sky Diving team ..... the Chippendale In-Line Skaters ..... have those great young ladies I ran into at dinner in Cincy put on a show ... give our cheerleaders something to do ..... what about a Billiken Band Concert? Make it an event ...

Like you baumann I was on campus but in the 70's. Student support was abysmal ... but so was the team. Winning will do wonders but you need folks to go out and be a part of something from both ends. The players have to know the students as well as vice-a-versa. But that involves marketing and bonwich has pointed out our deficiencies in that arena many times. On campus I think will do wonders but you also have to creaate a tie-in and get some buy-in from the locals.

Once it becomes an event, things like K-ville can spring up overnight. Granted, that's going to take a while with a whole lot of winning but you have to make the team seem like our team and not some detached seperate entity. I think as alumnae we figure that out. When we're all students, we don't get it. I think the four degrees of separation that is Savvis and is now the Family Arena play against us ... but once an opponent wins tonight and we know who we get and when we get it ... the school needs to go bananas with it. Hell, put large screen TV's in the parking lot in St. Charles and show the NCAA tournament if that's needed. You can do something.

And it needs to continue up to next year. Its not an easy task but it is one that SLU has been lacking in for as long as I can remember. Create ownership in the team .....

Prime example .... I didn't see Biondi in Cincy this year. Was he in St. Chaarles last night? It starts at the top. Credibility begins at the highest of levels.

... ac ouple of times and it seems its always at the tournament. I have spoken to him at some length (not at great lengths) and enjoyed the discussions. I can't remember the last time I saw him but I know the one conversation occurred in Cincy when Hughes was a freshman.

In that conversation, he talked glowingly about Hughes and the path forward he saw the program going. This was still with Spoon in charge and on the heels of saying that Spoon was the first step in taking this program into "the Top 50." What was that, about 1999? I also believe his first reference to being "a top 50" program was with the hiring of Spoon in what, 1993? Now, a decade or so after that, we have a symbolic statement to that end ... building our own on campus arena. If actions speak louder than words, I am still hearing Biondi saying the same thing.

But baumann and othes, including myself, have taken the students and the athletic department to task over their perceived lack of whatever ... attendance, promotions, etc. One could argue that the buck starts and stops at the top and I personnally know Biondi used to come to games and tournaments at a rate that seemed quite regular. I know he is a very, very, very busy man, but to lead by example would be a very nice (and needed) show at this point.

Unfortuantely, sports and sporting events get more publicity for colleges and universities than should be the norm. Small schools, and that is what we indeed are, can and should develop a total team effort in whatever they do ... be it sports, fund raising, community. So he can't come to all the games .... getting to the semi's in Cincy last week might have been a good "event" to make it to. That's all.

I really like the guy and all that he's done. Its nice to see the school have the continuity that one president has brought to the table over all these years.

......doubt it, but if we do end up in New York by some chance, it would not surprise me to see Biondi. I have seen him at a couple of conference tournaments, but not in recent years. He is a busy man, but I bet the Big Apple would draw the Big Guy.

I'm looking up puddle jumper flights to Ft. Wayne, but I'm not expecting to find anything.

>I don't see many other university presidents at basketball

>games either.

I know Father Wild at Marquette goes to every game and in the St. Boneventure story on HBO their president went to every game (leading to their downfall). I am sure many more go but don't feel the need to draw attention to themselves. I've sat in Biondi's box before, of course he never showed but the spread of food was damn impressive.