Duke or Missouri?

slufan13

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather play?

• Duke
    • Mizzou

The three games against Mizzou a decade ago were an absolute blast. I would love to have that series back. We should have won all three games. Somehow, I just knew that Tatum's throat-slashing gesture in COMO would be the kiss of death for us, and unfortunately, I was right. And the next year with Mizzou ranked in the top 10 (weren't they #2), we almost pulled off the major upset at the Kielvistrade - damn that Wesley Stokes.

The three games against Mizzou a decade ago were an absolute blast. I would love to have that series back. We should have won all three games. Somehow, I just knew that Tatum's throat-slashing gesture in COMO would be the kiss of death for us, and unfortunately, I was right. And the next year with Mizzou ranked in the top 10 (weren't they #2), we almost pulled off the major upset at the Kielvistrade - damn that Wesley Stokes.

The results of the poll show me that there are many posters that were too young to remember the series, not fans at the time, or just choosing not to remember what fun it was.

Stokes was something like 1-12 from the field before he hit that circus shot. Fisher did everything he could and it wasn't a great shot- off balance, fading away, worst shooter of the night. Go figure. Kenny Brown was screaming that there was no way Mizzou would have won if it went into overtime and Romar was choking back tears along with a few others. Might be the toughest loss I've ever seen.

Mizzou was #2 at the time and a lot thought we 'exposed' them- they went on a huge slide after that and it wound up being a hugely disappointing season for them.

That series was a blast; I didn't make it to Columbia but saw the other two. The Dome had a nice crowd, Hearnes sold out, and our 20,000-seat place sold out as well. It was electric in there. Fans from both sides loved this series. There is no reason not to do it, and damn what Mizzou says about not having anything to gain. Look at the national criticism Boise State has gotten about their attitude toward Idaho since moving to the WAC; reading the articles, you could replace "Mizzou" for "Boise State" and "SLU" for "Idaho" and it's the same obnoxious 'we're too good for them' attitude.

10 year home-and-home contract. Do it now.

The results of the poll show me that there are many posters that were too young to remember the series, not fans at the time, or just choosing not to remember what fun it was.

I remember what fun it was. I think the series should not have ended. I want it resumed.

At the same time, I have higher expectations than a win over Mizzou and we need to build our program to the point where Mizzou is not the be all, end all game on our schedule. In the past, we had high profile games against Cincy, Memphis, etc. Now, it's alot tougher in the A10 and when we play the good teams -- X and Temple. We lose. After we gain more respect and credibility, we will be better able to demand a game with Mizzou. Right now, Mizzou will want 2 games at Mizzou Arena and 1 game at Scottrade with the condition that their fans get 1/2 the tickets and bs such as that.

Don't get me wrong. There is not and will never be any rivalry with Duke. Probably not even another game with Duke for years to come. I take this poll, instead, to be would we Billiken fans want an annual game with Mizzou or with a top NCAA team every year. I choose the latter.

I think people here also let their dislike for Mizzou blind them as to how good the MU program is. They went 22-10 in a rebuilding year last year and have a monster recruiting class coming in - I'd expect them to do very well this year.

Depends, if it was a home and home with MO compared with just a away game on CBS with Duke, I take MO. If it is just away games with MO and Duke, with the Duke game on CBS, Duke all the way.

Duke is one of the premier college basketball powers nationally. MO, outside of a small 250 mile area around Columbia, is nothing. Even in the Big 12, they usually play 2nd fiddle to KU and TX.

Easy.Put me down for Duke.

Too many strings would need to be attached the whiners and complainers from Columbia. Mizzou is good but no where close to being as good as Duke or as good as the Mizzou fans think they are. Mizzou. Keep winning your home court game agains KU every other year, while getting trounced at Phog, and keep telling yourselves how great you are while you refuse to play not only SLU but also MO State and SIUC. Even UMKC got too close and you guys stopped playing them. Pathetic.

Hey, that's original. Mizzou is not as good as Duke, or Kansas, or insert elite program here. Who ever claimed we were? You guys use more strawmen than the Obama administration.

Thanks for all the scheduling advice. I'm on record as saying I'd like to see them play SLU, but Mo State, UMKC, are you kidding?

As far as SIUC, why is that even an issue for Mizzou. They are in Illinois last I checked. And by the way, they pretty much stink right now.

And who is whining and complaining? I'm very happy about the state of the program right now, with an elite eight appearance followed by a NCAA tournament team in what I consider a rebuilding year after losing several good players. This year we have a top 10-20 recruiting class coming in to join a talented core. We are in good shape. And I know you SLU will have an NCAA team this year, which is why I would like to see the two play each other.

Hey, that's original. Mizzou is not as good as Duke, or Kansas, or insert elite program here. Who ever claimed we were? You guys use more strawmen than the Obama administration.

Thanks for all the scheduling advice. I'm on record as saying I'd like to see them play SLU, but Mo State, UMKC, are you kidding?

As far as SIUC, why is that even an issue for Mizzou. They are in Illinois last I checked. And by the way, they pretty much stink right now.

And who is whining and complaining? I'm very happy about the state of the program right now, with an elite eight appearance followed by a NCAA tournament team in what I consider a rebuilding year after losing several good players. This year we have a top 10-20 recruiting class coming in to join a talented core. We are in good shape. And I know you SLU will have an NCAA team this year, which is why I would like to see the two play each other.

Maybe next season (2011-2012) we will see a neutral court SLU/Mizzou game in March in the Sweet 16. Both programs have a lot of things to be excited about.

Mark this down. You are the first Mizzou fan who acknowledges that you guys are inferior to KU. The rest of us have known this for years.

Why not play Missouri State or SIUC?? Doesn't have to be in the same year. Just sometime. Someone. Unless and until you guys grow a pair and are willing to play a regional opponent, shut the f#%& up about your artificial glory and prestige. BTW, thank you for the geography lesson. You are correct, SIUC is in Illinois.

Read this Board or your school's different boards and the whiners and complainers should be apparent.

Obviously Duke. I know we are in the same state as Mizzou but I don't understand your fetish with them. Maybe if I was from the state I'd understand it.

Probaby not. I don't know that DePaul is really crying to play Illinois.

Mark this down. You are the first Mizzou fan who acknowledges that you guys are inferior to KU. The rest of us have known this for years.

Why not play Missouri State or SIUC?? Doesn't have to be in the same year. Just sometime. Someone. Unless and until you guys grow a pair and are willing to play a regional opponent, shut the f#%& up about your artificial glory and prestige. BTW, thank you for the geography lesson. You are correct, SIUC is in Illinois.

Read this Board or your school's different boards and the whiners and complainers should be apparent.

So, if we "grow a pair" and play the likes of Mo State and SIUC we can then talk about our "articificial glory and prestige." WTF are you even babbling about?

• 2 weeks later...

Every game I've gone to at Chaifetz, I've seen more than a few people sporting Mizzou gear. Shockingly, none of them appeared to have suffered any bodily harm. Are you at the games, rican?

the Backhand never goes to the games, the Dirty Rican goes to all of the games. But they are Brothers in Crime.