Poll: Resurrection of football team?

bk18

Resurrection of football team  

28 members have voted

1. 1. When should it begin to happen (IE starting with D3 team)?

• within the next 15 years it can begin to happen
    • 15-25 years from now
    • 25-50 years from now
    • never
    • never, but I think Varsity Ice hockey deserves a shot

Football is becoming a pretty popular sport and an important aspect of collegiate athletics.

Having a good football program isn't going to happen overnight, but just think if we had a football program about as good as our basketball program, we'd be a shoe in to replace Nebraska in the Big 12 and would get the national attention SLU deserves. I'm not saying we could ever be a Nebraska program, but we could at least shoot to be the best Catholic football program.

It's not going to happen overnight. But I think if you start with a Div. 3 program like WashU's, it will only take about 10 years to have a Division 1 program.

Also, what female sports should be added to ensure title 9 equality?

"Football is becoming a pretty popular sport and an important aspect of collegiate athletics."

Crap! When did this happen and why wasn't I informed?

The Big 12? Us? Because of our football program? We can't run with the Georgetown's, Marquette's, Villanova's and Boston College's of the world and you want to align us with Iowa State, Mizzou (who won't give us one basketball game a year), Kansas, K State, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and so on? I will say one thing, aim high, grasshopper.

What would the costs be to add what, 90 men's football schollies a pop, compounded by an equal number of female schollies, in terms of what it would cost to go to SLU the way it is? Then the capital costs in buyilding a stadium> Or are you suggesting we play in downtown Edward Jones' neighborhood? Plus the added admin and other capital costs to build the needed ancillary facilities like dorm rooms, weight rooms, training tables, practice facilites. You are quit emad, y'know.

I guess these are the innovative thoughts prevalent out there at 3 in the morning.

Football is becoming a pretty popular sport and an important aspect of collegiate athletics.

Having a good football program isn't going to happen overnight, but just think if we had a football program about as good as our basketball program, we'd be a shoe in to replace Nebraska in the Big 12 and would get the national attention SLU deserves. I'm not saying we could ever be a Nebraska program, but we could at least shoot to be the best Catholic football program.

It's not going to happen overnight. But I think if you start with a Div. 3 program like WashU's, it will only take about 10 years to have a Division 1 program.

We wouldn't be able to start off with a DIII program - the NCAA would require us to be FCS/Division I-AA.

By instituting a non-scholarship FCS program, we wouldn't have to deal with Title IX.

Butler, Drake, Dayton and others all have non-scholarship FCS programs. I'm not sure if schools like Georgetown, Holy Cross, Villanova and Fordham offer scholarships or not, but there is certainly a blueprint for football at schools similar to SLU.

I would start a club football team first - we could play Marquette, Xavier, SIUE and other club teams in the region. Try to follow the route that Xavier is taking - build up the club team with the hopes of eventually going non-scholarship FCS in the future.

box is on the right track if there is a chance in hell of any kind of slu football, but to think slu would fund a football program when they dont fund their other non-revenue sports fully now as it is is crazy talk. btw, slu club sports are tremendously underfunded. the kids work their buts off with bakes sales and car washes to fund the minimum needed to have club teams. i would guess football would be in the same boat should a club team be formed.

and yes, slu football would be non-revenue. beyond the bcs schools i believe once you add in overhead, administration, coaches, insurance, facilities, scholarships and take than times 2 for title IX, all ncaa school division one schools lose money on football.

i agree the big boys make out big on it, but seriously, surely you dont envision us every committing the finances to get to that level do you? it took majerus to get a decent basketball budget and last year father biondi already started to go back on some of that.

but it is entertaining to watch this subject come up every year.

bk18, your post is good, but I don't think we could even hang with a school like Dayton - Pioneer League - I think it's reclassified at FCS (formerly Division I-AA) and they play fellow Catholic institutions Marist and San Diego, where current Stanford HC Jim Harbaugh cut his teeth before moving to Palo Alto.

You have to look at budget - not just for facilities - where would we play? Certainly it would be throwing money down the drain to play at the Dome on Saturday and there's no way you'd get Father Lawrence Biondi to replace the natural grass surface of Herman Stadium for field turf and more bleachers.

Also have to look at coaches. A decent Pioneer League team has 10-12 coaches. You have to figure in a budget for recruiting, camps, equipment, etc.

Have a marching band or anything like that for halftime? You can't just ask for a football team without looking at all the costs involved.

Best thing you could do is create Saint Louis on NCAA Football on playstation.

bk18, your post is good, but I don't think we could even hang with a school like Dayton - Pioneer League - I think it's reclassified at FCS (formerly Division I-AA) and they play fellow Catholic institutions Marist and San Diego, where current Stanford HC Jim Harbaugh cut his teeth before moving to Palo Alto.

You have to look at budget - not just for facilities - where would we play? Certainly it would be throwing money down the drain to play at the Dome on Saturday and there's no way you'd get Father Lawrence Biondi to replace the natural grass surface of Herman Stadium for field turf and more bleachers.

Also have to look at coaches. A decent Pioneer League team has 10-12 coaches. You have to figure in a budget for recruiting, camps, equipment, etc.

Have a marching band or anything like that for halftime? You can't just ask for a football team without looking at all the costs involved.

Best thing you could do is create Saint Louis on NCAA Football on playstation.

Trust me, you don't want the aggravation. SLU has a good thing going with soccer and a rising Men's BB program. Why detract from that with a fledgling football program?

If you like college football, support Mizzou or if you can't stand Mizzou (Roy, this is for you), support Illinois.

By the way, I intend to support SLU soccer.

Trust me, you don't want the aggravation. SLU has a good thing going with soccer and a rising Men's BB program. Why detract from that with a fledgling football program?

If you like college football, support Mizzou or if you can't stand Mizzou (Roy, this is for you), support Illinois.

thanks for your concern but i have no interest in college football. i would just as soon spend saturdays watching marx bros movies.

Assuming we follow that time line, what would make us attractive to a BCS conference? A fledgling football program? I'll be very surprised if the Big 12 is around in 10 years any way.

we should have another poll

please set one if you know how

I will be supporting (vote): (x) Illinois or (o) Missouri

until SLU gets a team to play at Ed Jones or Busch stadium- it could be a money maker- play old name teams like Cornell, Grambling, Slippery Rock (I know they are division II, now)

this would be a bad idea. basically becuase of all the reasons talked about.

A hockey team is something i continue to fully support. the talent we could draw from the saint louis area as well as the dallas are would be unreal. i think we could compete within 4-5 years of having the right coach. basically chaifetz could be transformed into a working ncaa hockey facility.

dont worry guys. when i graduate here im going to make millions and immmediately call biondi tell him im paying for them to renovate chaifetz and donating millions to fund it. i cant wait to win our first frozen four. B).

as a lacrosse player ill also fund our D1 lacrosse team. well be the greatest athletic school in the nation not to have football.

A hockey team is something i continue to fully support. the talent we could draw from the saint louis area as well as the dallas are would be unreal. i think we could compete within 4-5 years of having the right coach. basically chaifetz could be transformed into a working ncaa hockey facility.

From what I've been told it can't be.

I do like the idea of a hockey team over a football team. I'm very much against a football team. Logistically its so difficult to accomplish.

We wouldn't be able to start off with a DIII program - the NCAA would require us to be FCS/Division I-AA.

By instituting a non-scholarship FCS program, we wouldn't have to deal with Title IX.

Butler, Drake, Dayton and others all have non-scholarship FCS programs. I'm not sure if schools like Georgetown, Holy Cross, Villanova and Fordham offer scholarships or not, but there is certainly a blueprint for football at schools similar to SLU.

I would start a club football team first - we could play Marquette, Xavier, SIUE and other club teams in the region. Try to follow the route that Xavier is taking - build up the club team with the hopes of eventually going non-scholarship FCS in the future.

Agreed. If other schools with much smaller enrollment like Xavier with 4,000 UG and Dayton with 7,500 UG can do it, we can too. SLU has 7,800 UG and Marquette has 8,000 UG. I think SLU and Marquette can be the next two schools to create scholarship football programs in the next 15 years.

We are the 4th biggest Jesuit University!!! Our endowment is huge and unlike most cities, there's plenty of places where we could build a small stadium.

Not to mention, SLU has a rich history in football with starting the forward pass and initiating the Billiken mascot.

Around 60% of SLU's students are women, now there's nothing wrong with that from a male student's perspective, but I am pretty sure it has to do with the fact that most guys do their college researching on a Saturday afternoon in the Fall while watching ESPN if you know what I mean.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure we spend like 250,000 per year on that spring concert. I mean Ben Folds is cool and all, but I'd rather spend $600,000 on scholarships for a football team and some more female sports teams even if it came from the student activity fee.

The operational costs of the program like the equipment, additional training facilities, and coaching staff could be paid for from revenue coming back from ticket sales.

I mean how many SLU alums or just St. Louisians in general would rather pay $80 to see the RAMS play instead of $30 to see the BILLS play?