still slu sports but not basketball

grapevine is saying that softball coach john conway is resigning to take over a d-II program in florida.

there is no doubt the softball program might be the strongest it has been in years if not ever right now, so conway is apparently not being tossed out. i would think that means he is getting a better deal. now what does this say for our athletic dept when an up and coming coach of one of our programs leaves for an apparent better deal at a dII school?

grapevine is saying that softball coach john conway is resigning to take over a d-II program in florida.

there is no doubt the softball program might be the strongest it has been in years if not ever right now, so conway is apparently not being tossed out. i would think that means he is getting a better deal. now what does this say for our athletic dept when an up and coming coach of one of our programs leaves for an apparent better deal at a dII school?

maybe he got a new tat that he wants to show off at the beach. We don't have beaches in St. Louis.

skip i have known john conway for a number of years. he couldnt care less about the beach with the exception it will be a recruiting tool. he lives on the diamond. he is a recruiter. the program would have only continued to up the talent base.

if anything imo we should have done whatever to get him to stay and then hire him the practice coach he needed to let him continue what he does best, get players.

st leo's gain.

it will be interesting to see slu fill the spot with it's obvious liimited budget.

skip i have known john conway for a number of years. he couldnt care less about the beach with the exception it will be a recruiting tool. he lives on the diamond. he is a recruiter. the program would have only continued to up the talent base.

if anything imo we should have done whatever to get him to stay and then hire him the practice coach he needed to let him continue what he does best, get players.

st leo's gain.

it will be interesting to see slu fill the spot with it's obvious liimited budget.

Are you kidding?

Do you think SLU senior admins really are concerend about this matter?

Other than basketball and, to some extent, mens soccer, do they really giva-damn the last 40 yrs?

we need a strong athletic dept for all sports. the more slu registers as a competitive program the more it helps other sports and slu in general.

what both conway and hendrickson have accomplished is pretty darn good considering what they are given to work with and what they have to sell.

He could be looking at it as a way to get down to FL to retire in a few years. Maybe he has family down there he wants to be closer to. I don't see this as a sign of the apocalypse.

He could be looking at it as a way to get down to FL to retire in a few years. Maybe he has family down there he wants to be closer to. I don't see this as a sign of the apocalypse.

I don't know anything about this guy, but if he's getting the same pay, same bennies, etc. Why not? FL's a lot nicer than St. L in the winter and who knows, maybe this D2 school puts a lot more emphasis on Softball than SLU. Yes, we'd all like a stronger ADept but it's doubtful it's really ever gonna happen unless the BB team really takes off and starts pulling in big $$. Someone posted on here about a month or two ago the endowments of US Catholic Schools and we were like # 4 or 5 on the list, yet our ADept doesn't compare to a lot of the schools with much lower endowments. So, it's obvious Fr. B and the trustees aren't interested in allocating $$ for athletics.

With another impending Armageddeon coming in the collegiate conference landscape, I think it would be in any school's best interest to show parity across all sports as best as possible in order to make that school's inclusion in another conference more attractive. Just a thought.

Now, if Roy indeed does know this guys as he says he does (and i do not not believe him) then ask him "why" next time you see him. People make different choices for different reasons --- impending retirement, family, warm weather ---- all could come into play. A new tat? I'm not so sure --- maybe with a 17- or 18-year-old. In some cases, the losing institution cannot compete with that.

we need a strong athletic dept for all sports. the more slu registers as a competitive program the more it helps other sports and slu in general.

what both conway and hendrickson have accomplished is pretty darn good considering what they are given to work with and what they have to sell.

Agreed. It is in SLU's best interest to have competitive sports across the board. I've never seen a women's softball game, but it is embarrassing when your coach leaves for a better deal at a D2 school.

For what it's worth, St. Leo is at least 30 miles from the beach. ;)

It is a good time to buy real estate an hour or two north of Miami-from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando; prices are very depressed and the west coast

of Florida may get hit with the oil slick-there seems to be risk everywhere-this must be the bottom when SLU softball coaches leave us for

warmer weather especially at the start of hurricane season. 30 miles from the beach may not be far enough in.

It's women's softball. Who cares.

the point is about the overall athletic dept. if we want to be a part of any move up to new or better conferences, we need to be strong across the board.

the point is about the overall athletic dept. if we want to be a part of any move up to new or better conferences, we need to be strong across the board.

Agreed. I think we may be at high point since I've been following SLU as far as success across the board but we can get much better. It amazes me that the baseball and softball programs have done as well as they have with the facilities they offer. Better financial support for these programs would put them at the top of the conference. No reason SLU can't do this.

for da love, i knew it was for real, but wasnt announced by slu yet. it was put on slubillikens.com hours after i posted. i said i knew him. i didnt say we were long time friends. he followed my daughter a little bit in high school and had her at the slu recruit camps prior to her senior year.

for da love, i knew it was for real, but wasnt announced by slu yet. it was put on slubillikens.com hours after i posted. i said i knew him. i didnt say we were long time friends. he followed my daughter a little bit in high school and had her at the slu recruit camps prior to her senior year.

I didn't realize they had made an official release yet...makes sense