New Atlantic 10

in case you havent checked out the A-10 board this is a recent post i find very interesting:

http://media.nj.com/ledgerarchives/other/colorBIG10.DT.pdf

I also wanted a SLU breakdown of this situation.

If this exact situation occurs (Not likely but generally i see most of those football teams in some super conferences) i guess SLU would have to join the MVC..which i do not support currently but if it did break down this way, really our only choice.

the problem with this map that i see relative to the A-10 and SLU is the fact that charlotte is in the A-10. Although Richmond plays football in the CAA, i would hope Charlotte becomes more dedicated to football then basketball and joins a football conference like the CAA and brings its other sports along. This would leave Saint Louis as the only team in the A-10 currently not in the proposed A-10. I would hope that as BustedDreams49 stated in the A-10 thread that the facilities and dedication SLU has showed recently will propel them towards the new a-10.

Thoughts?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in case you havent checked out the A-10 board this is a recent post i find very interesting:

If this exact situation occurs (Not likely but generally i see most of those football teams in some super conferences) i guess SLU would have to join the MVC..which i do not support currently but if it did break down this way, really our only choice.

the problem with this map that i see relative to the A-10 and SLU is the fact that charlotte is in the A-10. Although Richmond plays football in the CAA, i would hope Charlotte becomes more dedicated to football then basketball and joins a football conference like the CAA and brings its other sports along. This would leave Saint Louis as the only team in the A-10 currently not in the proposed A-10. I would hope that as BustedDreams49 stated in the A-10 thread that the facilities and dedication SLU has showed recently will propel them towards the new a-10.

Thoughts?

Sorry but I could not download the site from your link - can you give me a short summary.

Thoughts?

I don't see it shaking out this way. The complaint from the Big East is that the conference has become too big. We even hear that in the A-10 as not all teams play each other. This proposal shows HUGE conferences (20 in the Big Atlantic). I'm in favor of the smaller conferences.

Sorry but I could not download the site from your link - can you give me a short summary.

Here's his "new" Atlantic 10:

SETON HALL

RICHMOND

RHODE ISLAND

CHARLOTTE

DAY TON

DUQUESNE

ST. BONAVENTURE

GEORGE WASHINGTON

UMASS

SAINT JOSEPH'S

LA SALLE

FORDHAM

XAVIER

MARQUETTE

Temple would move to the "Big Atlantic":

Boston College

Wake Forest

N.C. State

Maryland

n. carolina

Duke

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Cincinnati

UConn

West Virginia

South Florida

Memphis

Temple

Central Florida

LOUISVILLE

Villanova*

Notre Dame*

Georgetown*

St. John’s*

And we would apparently be left without a conference.

I don't see it shaking out this way. The complaint from the Big East is that the conference has become too big. We even hear that in the A-10 as not all teams play each other. This proposal shows HUGE conferences (20 in the Big Atlantic). I'm in favor of the smaller conferences.

bIG TEN EXPANSION MIGHT BE JUST THE FIRST MOVE IN A NATIONWIDE RESTRUCTURING, with THE PAC -10 AND SEC hinting AT THEIR OWN ADDITIONS. Here’s A LOOK AT how THINGS could shake OUT:

*basketball only

"BIG ATLANTIC" (ACC REFORMED)

Boston College

Wake Forest

N.C. State

Maryland

n. carolina

Duke

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Cincinnati

UConn

West Virginia

South Florida

Memphis

Temple

Central Florida

LOUISVILLE

Villanova*

Notre Dame*

Georgetown*

St. John’s*

"SEC"

Florida

Tennessee

Georgia

S. Carolina

Kentucky

Vanderbilt

Clemson

Florida St.

Alabama

LSU

Ole Miss

Arkansas

Auburn

Miss. State

Georgia Tech

Miami

"PAC-10"

Oregon

Arizona

Oregon STATE

Stanford

USC

Boise sTATE

Fresno sTATE

Nevada

California

Washington

UCLA

Arizona StA TE

Washington St.

Colorado

UNLV

San Diego STATE

"BIG 12"

Kansas St.

Iowa St.

Kansas

Texas

Oklahoma St.

Texas Tech

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Baylor

TCU

Tulsa

BYU

Utah

New Mexico

Houston

Colorado St.

"BIG 10"

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Michigan

Michigan St.

Minnesota

N’western

NEBRASKA

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

Wisconsin

Rutgers

Syracuse

Missouri

Pittsburgh

ATLANTIC 10

SETON HALL

RICHMOND

RHODE ISLAND

CHARLOTTE

DAY TON

DUQUESNE

ST. BONA VENTURE

George WASHING TON

UMASS

Saint jOseph’S

LA SALLE

FORDHAM

XAVIER

MARQUETTE

PROVIDENCE

DEPAUL

That is the proposed mega-conference restructuring by a Rutgers writer. I had not noticed the Big Atlantic was 20 teams. that does seem off to me.

This would basically nullify major conference OOC games for football that are not guaranteed W's. Only OOC big games would probably be games against ND, which seem to be guaranteed W's currently, and old rivalries (i.e. Kansas/Mizzou, Pitt/WVU) that are split up as result of the restructuring.

I am just wondering where SLU would fit in if this would occur or how it could break down differently for or against SLU. This is just one in a long line of proposed conference restructuring ideas. It seems really interesting as I do believe if the Big 10 gets 16 teams other conferences will push for the same and we will eventually have 4-5 16 team super-conferences for football.

That poll comes from the Newark Star Ledger. What good has come out of Jersey?

All kidding aside, there's no way the whole thing shakes out like that. There was mention of Texas or A & M in the Pac-10 with Tulsa and Colorado State. That will never happen either.

SLU's best bet is for the Big 10 to raid the Big 12/Big East. Otherwise, it could be back to the Valley.

That poll comes from the Newark Star Ledger. What good has come out of Jersey?

All kidding aside, there's no way the whole thing shakes out like that. There was mention of Texas or A & M in the Pac-10 with Tulsa and Colorado State. That will never happen either.

SLU's best bet is for the Big 10 to raid the Big 12/Big East. Otherwise, it could be back to the Valley.

I am hoping they raid the Big East to the like of Syracuse, Pitt and Rutgers. And hopefully the SEC/ACC will want to play catch up and snag the louiville's and cincinatti's of the big east.

I am confused as to why he would place every team from both the BE and A10 but us? Why would he leave on team out specifically one of the top 4-5 teams in the A10 and place all the bottom feeders? This guy either forgot about us are is angry at RM's comments about the A10. I wondered if that would come back to burn us.

I am confused as to why he would place every team from both the BE and A10 but us? Why would he leave on team out specifically one of the top 4-5 teams in the A10 and place all the bottom feeders? This guy either forgot about us are is angry at RM's comments about the A10. I wondered if that would come back to burn us.

Because doormats like Fordham need love too...I guess.

Burwell said today he thought that SLU would jump to the Big East once it went Jesuit following the football re-alliance. I could see that happening. He said that the Big 12 and Big East will get feasted on (that's what it looks like) and that they will be recruiting. He just said it as a teaser at the end of their Mizzou talk, so he didn't give expansion teams for the BE, but I'm on par with what he's thinking.

It seems like he did alot of research. I do believe he did some things wrong such as the 20 team new atlantic, and UTAH/BYU in the Big12 and Colorado in the Pac-10. I think those will be reversed. I dont know who else would be put into the Big 12.

I do think he simply forgot about us or belives the MVC is the right conference for us. I disagree whole-heartedly on the latter, but lets not have that debate currently.

Let's just re-form the Great Midwest.

How about this alignment for a new conference......

SLU

Dayton

Xavier

DePaul

Marquette

Butler

SIU-C

Evansville

And two of the remaining teams, UMKC, Wis-Mil or Murray St.

This would be a very good basketball conference. Low travel, with each team having a local rival.

How about this alignment for a new conference......

SLU

Dayton

Xavier

DePaul

Marquette

Butler

SIU-C

Evansville

And two of the remaining teams, UMKC, Wis-Mil or Murray St.

This would be a very good basketball conference. Low travel, with each team having a local rival.

if i was going to steal from the mvc i wouldnt take carbondale and evansville before creighton and bradley or drake. stay with the private schools.

It seems like he did alot of research. I do believe he did some things wrong such as the 20 team new atlantic, and UTAH/BYU in the Big12 and Colorado in the Pac-10. I think those will be reversed. I dont know who else would be put into the Big 12.

I do think he simply forgot about us or belives the MVC is the right conference for us. I disagree whole-heartedly on the latter, but lets not have that debate currently.

I do not see much of this happening- it would be most surpising to me to see the Pac-10 take Boise State. Boise State has obviously excelled on the gridiron, but Boise State was once a junior college. Although San Diego State might be a 4th or 5th choice for the Pac-10, the Pac-10 already saturates that market with UCLA and USC only 90-100 miles up the road. And it would be a shock to see Fresno State added to the Pac-10. I'm not sure how much this guy knows about the West Coast pecking order. Does he really think Stanford and Cal in Northern California, and USC and UCLA in Southern California, are going to let Fresno State into the Pac-10?

Utah seems to be in most Pac-10 expansion discussions.

I also do not see SLU being left behind this group of A-10, call them survivors. Nor do I see this Big Atlantic, or a surviving ACC, taking non-football playing schools.

The writer of this article is from the Newark, NJ newspaper, and it looks like the guy is trying to place Rutgers and Seton Hall. in Newark's backyard.

I could see DePaul and Marquette utlimately landing in the A-10, but not SLU being excluded from the A-10, of which it already belongs, that is unless SLU wants out, and we've seen no signals of that from the Administration upward.

if i was going to steal from the mvc i wouldnt take carbondale and evansville before creighton and bradley or drake. stay with the private schools.

I wasn't looking at recent success to include/exclude schools. I like how the PAC-10 is setup. Schools are paired, making road trips easier for the member schools. Creighton and Drake are a little isolated. Bradley may be a fair swap for SIU-C.

I wasn't looking at recent success to include/exclude schools. I like how the PAC-10 is setup. Schools are paired, making road trips easier for the member schools. Creighton and Drake are a little isolated. Bradley may be a fair swap for SIU-C.

we got to get out of this geography is most important mindset. imo like institutions is the absolute most important thing.

I agree. Evansville is private, though.

Elsewhere, I've read that Omaha (Creighton) and Cincinnati/Dayton are just too far apart distance wise to have Xavier and Dayton leave their East Coast recruiting grounds for such a new league.

I think SLU had best try to keep itself aligned with Xavier and Dayton, keep improving the athletic programs, especially men's basketball, and be as attractive a candidate as possible for Catholic Big East membership or A-10 continued membership.

we got to get out of this geography is most important mindset. imo like institutions is the absolute most important thing.

I think you mis-understood what I am suggesting. I don't think all of the schools need to be within driving distance, but if you fly to one school you can schedule two games. The second school is within driving distance. This will cut down on travel expense.

I agree on the like institutions, but I think the most important thing is that all the schools should be basketball first schools. No football.

I think you mis-understood what I am suggesting. I don't think all of the schools need to be within driving distance, but if you fly to one school you can schedule two games. The second school is within driving distance. This will cut down on travel expense.

I agree on the like institutions, but I think the most important thing is that all the schools should be basketball first schools. No football.

carbondale takes their football pretty serious.