New Atlantic 10

Good to know. I'm wondering what the Rock Chalk boards are saying about this...

Just to be clear, this is just my suggestion (not a rumor I've heard...) about what could and probably should happen if Mizzou and KU end up not in the same conference.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear, this is just my suggestion (not a rumor I've heard...) about what could and probably should happen if Mizzou and KU end up not in the same conference.

Ah...ok. Well I think that would be interesting...as far as $ goes, would a game at Kemper fill the coffers of both schools? How would that work?

I think GP can do the job with Mizzou in the Big Ten. I'm not sure what his strategy is for recruiting, but the if he can connect Columbia to the Chicago pipeline that has historically connected Iowa City and Ann Arbor via South Bend, I think he'll be ok. He won't get any top 50 Wisconsin or Minny recruits. They tend to stay at home. Fitz at Northwestern wants guys who play exactly like he did when he was tearing it up at LB and high character people, so Pinkel knows he can't get those types to commit to Mizzou. KC and Chicago are good recruiting grounds and with good alumni contingencies to support their program. Pinkel is a good coach and I think he'd probably welcome the challenge to bring his Tigers into Happy Valley or Camp Randall on a Saturday night...

question -- would the Illinois game be moved to alternate campus sites or stay in STL??

What many Mizzou football fans seem to be forgetting is that some TX kids will still want to play in the Big 10 with its great Big 10 network. Example Drew Brees from TX to Purdue.

Maybe more importantly, even tho he has been at Mizzou for quite a few yrs, he still has contacts in OH and surrounding states as a result of his many years as the HC at Toledo. He should do just fine recruiting in the Big 10, it's his in-game coaching that I worry about.

What many Mizzou football fans seem to be forgetting is that some TX kids will still want to play in the Big 10 with its great Big 10 network. Example Drew Brees from TX to Purdue.

Maybe more importantly, even tho he has been at Mizzou for quite a few yrs, he still has contacts in OH and surrounding states as a result of his many years as the HC at Toledo. He should do just fine recruiting in the Big 10, it's his in-game coaching that I worry about.

But that was because he was "too small" to play at UT. This was, of course, pre-Colt McCoy. Also, Chase Daniel hails from the state. I'm sure he will be a good resource for Pinkel to have when he gets done changing the diapers of that cute Brees baby from the Super Bowl. :)

I agree with that. The you'll get to play and beat the Texas schools that passed on you is over rated as they'd only get to play each of them twice anyway. What the kids want to do is play big time football against big time oponents. For some kids saying you'll get to play ND might be the enticement, for others it might be Ohio State. I'd say Mizzou can still get Texas recruits and could possibly open up some chances to get Ohio or Illinois kids.

I agree with that. The you'll get to play and beat the Texas schools that passed on you is over rated as they'd only get to play each of them twice anyway. What the kids want to do is play big time football against big time oponents. For some kids saying you'll get to play ND might be the enticement, for others it might be Ohio State. I'd say Mizzou can still get Texas recruits and could possibly open up some chances to get Ohio or Illinois kids.

No one is saying the Big 10 schools don't have a TX kid on their roster if that is what you're implying. And to say that all big time football against big time opponents is equal is just plain wrong. Some kids can would prefer to play in the Big 10, Pac 10, Big East, ACC or SEC. That is a given. Playing in the Big House (Ann Arbour) against ND, Ohio State or Michigan State is certainly big time but to say there is no extra appeal in playing against your home state schools (not just Texas but also Texas Tech, Texas A & M and Baylor) and former highschool teammates/rivals is simply wrong. The Big XII is certainly every bit as big time with conference foes such as Nebraska, Oklahomo, Oklahoma State, Texas etc. The extra ability to play big time and at/against Texas schools/players is "overated"??? I don't thinks so.

No one is saying the Big 10 schools don't have a TX kid on their roster if that is what you're implying. And to say that all big time football against big time opponents is equal is just plain wrong. Some kids can would prefer to play in the Big 10, Pac 10, Big East, ACC or SEC. That is a given. Playing in the Big House (Ann Arbour) against ND, Ohio State or Michigan State is certainly big time but to say there is no extra appeal in playing against your home state schools (not just Texas but also Texas Tech, Texas A & M and Baylor) and former highschool teammates/rivals is simply wrong. The Big XII is certainly every bit as big time with conference foes such as Nebraska, Oklahomo, Oklahoma State, Texas etc. The extra ability to play big time and at/against Texas schools/players is "overated"??? I don't thinks so.

I wasn't implying that at all. If you go to Mizzou you get to play UT, TT, TAMU, Baylor twice during your career. Does that hold some importance, sure. However, I still believe Mizzou will get plenty of Texas recruits. Will they get as many? possibly not, but they will get inroads in other areas to make up the difference. My point was that I keep hearing Mizzou will lose many of their Texas recruits if they switch. I'm saying I don't think that's true, I think they'd lose a few.

I wasn't implying that at all. If you go to Mizzou you get to play UT, TT, TAMU, Baylor twice during your career. Does that hold some importance, sure. However, I still believe Mizzou will get plenty of Texas recruits. Will they get as many? possibly not, but they will get inroads in other areas to make up the difference. My point was that I keep hearing Mizzou will lose many of their Texas recruits if they switch. I'm saying I don't think that's true, I think they'd lose a few.

Gary Pinkel will be fine if Mizzou goes to the Big 10. Not a given as to Pinkel's successor at Mizzou. As previously mentioned, Pinkel has contacts all through Ohio from his prior job. Also, Pinkel has won at Mizzou and, with another big year or two, is/will be considered more of a national figure on the coaching front. With such a reputation and winning history, Pinkel will need to look more to the North and East and not rely so much on Texas. He, of course, will face really tough competition with Illinois, ND, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State.... Pinkel can probably do it successfully at this stage in his career but I doubt his predecessors could or that he could have done the same in his early years at Mizzou. If Mizzou enters the Big 10 with Pinkel and Anderson at the helm - and keeps them both for 5 years into the new conference, Mizzou will be just fine. Once a program falls behind, though, advancement in these super conference will be very, very tough.

Collegesportsinfo.com

We are mentioned in this article under Big East realignment.

I like where you are heading with this, however, I think it is very unlikely we would join the Big East. RM already has commented about how he doesn't like traveling. This would be more traveling than before. Staying in the A10 or moving to the Valley seems more likely.

I like where you are heading with this, however, I think it is very unlikely we would join the Big East. RM already has commented about how he doesn't like traveling. This would be more traveling than before. Staying in the A10 or moving to the Valley seems more likely.

I am a huge RM fan, but this decision is bigger than him (if that's possible :) ). Plus, I have a feeling that RM would lighten up on the travel thing if it got him a chance to play the likes of Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's, etc. Besides, any potential conference reshuffling involving SLU is likely many years away from going into effect.

I am a huge RM fan, but this decision is bigger than him (if that's possible :) ). Plus, I have a feeling that RM would lighten up on the travel thing if it got him a chance to play the likes of Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's, etc. Besides, any potential conference reshuffling involving SLU is likely many years away from going into effect.

RM has said he would like to be in the Big East if he could.

Gary Pinkel will be fine if Mizzou goes to the Big 10. Not a given as to Pinkel's successor at Mizzou. As previously mentioned, Pinkel has contacts all through Ohio from his prior job. Also, Pinkel has won at Mizzou and, with another big year or two, is/will be considered more of a national figure on the coaching front. With such a reputation and winning history, Pinkel will need to look more to the North and East and not rely so much on Texas. He, of course, will face really tough competition with Illinois, ND, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State.... Pinkel can probably do it successfully at this stage in his career but I doubt his predecessors could or that he could have done the same in his early years at Mizzou. If Mizzou enters the Big 10 with Pinkel and Anderson at the helm - and keeps them both for 5 years into the new conference, Mizzou will be just fine. Once a program falls behind, though, advancement in these super conference will be very, very tough.

agreed, but 2nd tier Texas players are in many cases better than the top players in other states, so I doubt he'd want to lessen his Texas pipeline.

No. League games will not be played in St. Louis each year. Mizzou loves to play KU so much and therefore, if the Mizzou joins the Big 10, Mizzou can simply play KU in both football and basketball if they wanted to each year. The natural venues would be in KC each year. Instead of the Busch Bragging Rights game in basketball, Mizzou could get trounced by KU on a neutral court each year at Kemper just like they did by the Illini at Savvis. Instead of playing Troy State, the Illlini... etc, Pinkel can play a home and home with KU to start each year and/or have the game played at Arrowhead. St. Louis' loss is Kansas City's gain.

Idk about feasibility, but it would be interesting to have the football game alternate between St. Louis (Mizzou home) and Kansas City (Kansas home) each year. It would allow Mizzou to keep a visible footprint in St Louis and keep the alumni happy.

Idk about feasibility, but it would be interesting to have the football game alternate between St. Louis (Mizzou home) and Kansas City (Kansas home) each year. It would allow Mizzou to keep a visible footprint in St Louis and keep the alumni happy.

Hawk. Did you know that Kansas City is in the state of Missouri? Just kidding.

Why would KU even think of going for this: a neutral game in KC and then an away game in St. Louis?

RM has said he would like to be in the Big East if he could.

First, the guy from Newark is smoking crack... keep St. B's and Fordham and dump us? C'mon... gimme a break. The key is to get the ball rolling early and start having some meetings w/ Dayton and X to keep this trio together. Not saying that alliance would hold up, but it's a start. FB and TV will rule in all this realignment talk. What the big state schools can bring to the table audience wise is the key factor. Texas is the gem here... talk down here in Dixieland is the SEC will rope the horns along with TX A&M, if the Big 10 gets Mizzery. That will basically decimate the Big 12 and other schools will start looking for new neighborhoods. We'll end up w/ 4 16 team conferences, the P10, B10, ACC, and SEC. If the A-10 was smart they'll be wooing the Beast BB refugees to form East and West divisions (8 teams each) which will make up a very powerful BB only conference.

Maybe a moot point at this time per Perkins comments in the KC Star article today. Of course, he can be excused if he hasn't given it much thought what with the FBI, IRS and NCAA occupying most of his waking thoughts concerning ku's Williams Fund ticket scandal.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/11/19402...kc-without.html

Big East money would probably allow SLU the ability to fly charter flights.

yes, maybe so. However, we would then want charter flights with built in laptops, robot professors, private study booths, and free Pappys BBQ.

yes, maybe so. However, we would then want charter flights with built in laptops, robot professors, private study booths, and free Pappys BBQ.

[singSong]These are some of my favorite things.[/singSong] You forgot hookers with mouthwash for saliva, though.

First, the guy from Newark is smoking crack... keep St. B's and Fordham and dump us? C'mon... gimme a break. The key is to get the ball rolling early and start having some meetings w/ Dayton and X to keep this trio together. Not saying that alliance would hold up, but it's a start. FB and TV will rule in all this realignment talk. What the big state schools can bring to the table audience wise is the key factor. Texas is the gem here... talk down here in Dixieland is the SEC will rope the horns along with TX A&M, if the Big 10 gets Mizzery. That will basically decimate the Big 12 and other schools will start looking for new neighborhoods. We'll end up w/ 4 16 team conferences, the P10, B10, ACC, and SEC. If the A-10 was smart they'll be wooing the Beast BB refugees to form East and West divisions (8 teams each) which will make up a very powerful BB only conference.

SLU ditched UD and X for the Great Midwest. UD and X still remember this. Talks are great but why would UD or X not break ranks they got an offer we didn't? Along these lines, does anyone really believe that SLU would do anyting different this time if the Big East invited SLU but nto UD and X?

The reason UD and X, of course, were excluded was b/c of U of Cincy. Cincy didn't want to share the limelight and the Great Midwest did not see the need to have 3 teams (UD, X and Cincy) from the same greater metropolitan area - UD is only 50 miles aways. Sound familiar: LaSalle, Temple and St. Joe all in Philly?

SLU ditched UD and X for the Great Midwest. UD and X still remember this. Talks are great but why would UD or X not break ranks they got an offer we didn't? Along these lines, does anyone really believe that SLU would do anyting different this time if the Big East invited SLU but nto UD and X?

The reason UD and X, of course, were excluded was b/c of U of Cincy. Cincy didn't want to share the limelight and the Great Midwest did not see the need to have 3 teams (UD, X and Cincy) from the same greater metropolitan area - UD is only 50 miles aways. Sound familiar: LaSalle, Temple and St. Joe all in Philly?

SLU was a charter member of the Great Midwest in 1991, leaving Xavier and Dayton in the MCC, but Dayton joined the Great Midwest 2 years later in 1993. Then when the Great Midwest merged with the Metro to form C-USA, with play starting in 1995, Dayton was not invited. Dayton and Xavier joined the A-10 in 1995.

DePaul was a driving force behind the formation of the Great Midwest, and in both cases (Great Midwest and C-USA), SLU was more along for the ride. Part of the deal with Dayton not going to C-USA was that SLU and Dayton continued to play each year in hoops.

There were some reported hard feelings for SLU at the MCC Tournament in 1991, when it was known that SLU was leaving the league. But I really don't think SLU, itself, was doing anything against either Xavier or Dayton in either case. Cincinnati probably did not want Xavier in the Great Midwest and likely did not want Dayton in C-USA, ditto for Louisville in the latter case.