Summer workouts and fan viewing

Does anyone know what the rules are (NCAA and Rick's Rules) about viewing summer practices/open gyms? Can a casual fan off the street pop into Chaifetz and watch?? Any insights would be great. Haven't been to the new arena yet, but visiting family in St. Louis for a week in July and curious about watching the boys. Thanks guys.

I guess I should say I'm a message board version of the "Longtime listener, first time caller" variety.

Thanks.

knockahoma

Does anyone know what the rules are (NCAA and Rick's Rules) about viewing summer practices/open gyms? Can a casual fan off the street pop into Chaifetz and watch?? Any insights would be great. Haven't been to the new arena yet, but visiting family in St. Louis for a week in July and curious about watching the boys. Thanks guys.

I guess I should say I'm a message board version of the "Longtime listener, first time caller" variety.

Thanks.

knockahoma

Unless someone gives you a better answer call either

the Billiken Club or the athletic department through SLU

switchboard and ask when and where you might catch the

open gym times the men's team uses and let

us all know for your next post maybe we will see you there

Unless someone gives you a better answer call either

the Billiken Club or the athletic department through SLU

switchboard and ask when and where you might catch the

open gym times the men's team uses and let

us all know for your next post maybe we will see you there

I will do just that, GOSLU68. Thanks!

knockahoma

It's been a well known Majerusism that he does not allow anyone other than assistant coaches, players, and managers watch practices. I imagine Chris May might even need special permission to watch the practices... This is a reason why there are black curtains around the entrances to the arena. I think this may have been a thing Al Mcguire did at Marquette. My reasoning is that it cuts down on outside politics from the AD and parents and allows him to coach the team during while he has their undivided attention.

It's been a well known Majerusism that he does not allow anyone other than assistant coaches, players, and managers watch practices. I imagine Chris May might even need special permission to watch the practices... This is a reason why there are black curtains around the entrances to the arena. I think this may have been a thing Al Mcguire did at Marquette. My reasoning is that it cuts down on outside politics from the AD and parents and allows him to coach the team during while he has their undivided attention.

I figured that much with Coach Majerus. It's interesting to note how many BCS schools will hold open practices on football Saturdays in the fall...Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium in Champaign share parking lots so I know Bill Self used open it up to people during the football season (after Midnight Madness). Not sure he does that at Kansas or not. I have never been to Lawrence.

i think it has more to do with his style of handling practice. if it was a movie you would need to show your id to get in.

I figured that much with Coach Majerus. It's interesting to note how many BCS schools will hold open practices on football Saturdays in the fall...Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium in Champaign share parking lots so I know Bill Self used open it up to people during the football season (after Midnight Madness). Not sure he does that at Kansas or not. I have never been to Lawrence.

Those are nothing but glorified scrimmages to entice fan interest. Granted, we coul schedule one or two of those and it would be a good thing but I doubt one could just walk into Cameron Indoor stadium on a random Tuesday in February and watch Duke practice.

If there is a legitimate ***** about RM's practices its that he doesn't allow the media to come in and film for 15 minutes. It builds excitement and wouldn't be that much of a sideshow/distraction.

Those are nothing but glorified scrimmages to entice fan interest. Granted, we coul schedule one or two of those and it would be a good thing but I doubt one could just walk into Cameron Indoor stadium on a random Tuesday in February and watch Duke practice.

If there is a legitimate ***** about RM's practices its that he doesn't allow the media to come in and film for 15 minutes. It builds excitement and wouldn't be that much of a sideshow/distraction.

Wouldn't that help a program?

Increases the chance of injury is a big reason, it wouldn't be good to start the season with a few bad ankles due to an intrasquad scrimmage. Although I do believe once the program gains more notoriety (cracks the preseason top 25). I think RM will cave to the AD and will have to do something like a Midnight Madness.

Increases the chance of injury is a big reason, it wouldn't be good to start the season with a few bad ankles due to an intrasquad scrimmage. Although I do believe once the program gains more notoriety (cracks the preseason top 25). I think RM will cave to the AD and will have to do something like a Midnight Madness.

More likely scenario is Majerus fulfills his contract in 2 years and then the next coach will want to do Midnight Madness.

While it's true that Coach Majerus closes the official practices, the OP was asking about off-season scrimmages, which the coaching staff cannot observe.

I don't know, but it may be possible to watch the pick-up games among the players during the summer. Sometimes they're in Chaifetz, and sometimes they're at the Simon Recreation Center (for students).

Technically, Majerus can't do anything with the team once the season ends in terms of coaching and workouts with the exception of some individual one-on-one stuff in a specified time period. The season being over and that is it officially until Midnight Madness or that certain date in October. To see anyone doing anything would be chance and happenstance. Are the players even around? If I were Ellis and Salecich, I'd be off on the briny sailing to see my old mates down under and all that.

Technically, Majerus can't do anything with the team once the season ends in terms of coaching and workouts with the exception of some individual one-on-one stuff in a specified time period. The season being over and that is it officially until Midnight Madness or that certain date in October. To see anyone doing anything would be chance and happenstance. Are the players even around? If I were Ellis and Salecich, I'd be off on the briny sailing to see my old mates down under and all that.

The players wouldn't leave until the semester is over. And then there's summer school. I'm sure they still play pick-up basketball nearly every day. The OP will likely have at least a little bit of an opportunity to watch the players.