Possible Bad News...

This is my understanding -- the 48-hour window to be charged pertained to holding the suspects in custody for up to 48 hours before charging them. Once a suspect is released they can be re-arrested and then charged at a later date, assuming the statute of limitations has not passed. I'm sure that the minimum statute of limitations on an assault case would be 2 or 3 years.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 48 hours.

I dont think thats right.

I know they can only hold people for 20 hours without charging them after the 20 hours are up the case is "taken under advisement (TUA)."

From that point the Circuit attorney invistigators look into the case and see if they have enough evidence to charge the arrested.

Im not sure the time frame but I worked at the courthouse and ran across TUA cases a lot sometimes they would remain in that status for months or even years.

Can I post the rumor from campus and who the students are hearing was taken away in handcuffs early Saturday morning?

I guess I would not say I am surprised it is these two guys (although the one comes across as a high character kid), but they are seemingly the two with the most to lose.

POST IT. You are "THE CHOSEN ONE" for this type of post. Just do it. I know who they are. Everyone knows who they are. Just put it out there, some one must and you that person!

Even if the players in question are not charged will they be at a minimum suspended for being underage and in the bar? What is Rick Majerus' policy on players being at bars, especially underage players? I am assuming none of the players, aside from Paul, are 21. In light of this situation is it time for Majerus to institute a zero tolerance policy similar to what Mike Anderson claims to have done at Mizzou.

I would be more concerned with them being expelled from school for rape than any kind of slap on the wrist for underage drinking. I would think that regardless of what happens with these charges and the SLMPD's invesigation that these two players will be on trial at the Univeristy with expulsion being on the table. I know that at SLU (at least when I was a student) if a female is intoxicated she is incapable of giving consent.

I was not saying that from my standpoint as a fan, but from a potential career standpoint for the two guys rumored to be involved. If I were looking at the current roster the two players rumored to have been taken away in handcuffs early Saturday morning are the two guys who I think potentially have the most to lose from being involved in such an incident. At the very least it is very disappointing that these two would put themselves in this position.

Well, you pretty much named them right there, didn't you? As an outsider, I have two names, possibly three, immediately pop into my head.

ADMIN: I'd like to second the call for this thread and possibly the whole board to be locked until something official comes out on this issue. It's only a matter of time before an idiot says something libelous and make everyone look bad.

Very sorry to hear this happen to you guys and to the SLU basketball program and SLU in general, but most important the victim herself. If the allegations are true, I think basketball is the last thing on the minds of the offenders. Best of luck, and I will be watching very closely.

I would be more concerned with them being expelled from school for rape than any kind of slap on the wrist for underage drinking. I would think that regardless of what happens with these charges and the SLMPD's invesigation that these two players will be on trial at the Univeristy with expulsion being on the table. I know that at SLU (at least when I was a student) if a female is intoxicated she is incapable of giving consent.

Whoa!

I know this is a very serious charge and I dont wish this type of thing on anybody, but that is insane!

Shouldnt the female have to take some type of resonsibility?

So if a female has a few cocktails and ends up sleeping with a guy that never calls her again she can claim rape because she decided to get loaded?

ADMIN: I'd like to second the call for this thread and possibly the whole board to be locked until something official comes out on this issue. It's only a matter of time before an idiot says something libelous and make everyone look bad.

This is why we have blogs. Give us a break. We're on pins and needles on here. I dont know what else I'd be doing at work

Whoa!

I know this is a very serious charge and I dont wish this type of thing on anybody, but that is insane!

Shouldnt the female have to take some type of resonsibility?

So if a female has a few cocktails and ends up sleeping with a guy that never calls her again she can claim rape because she decided to get loaded?

I dont think it was as simple as a couple of drinks and consentual relations with one person, quite different if what I am hearing is correct......choo choo

If two guys were arrested, why is it libelous to say So-and-So were arrested?

Like I already posted, I'm pretty sure that they had 48 hours to hold them and press charges, but they released them long before that 48 hours was up. That doesn't mean they still couldn't be arrested again and charged if new evidence, or further investigation of current evidence, merits doing so.

If two guys were arrested, why is it libelous to say So-and-So were arrested?

I don't see how it could be, but I am certainly not a lawyer and I guess that is why nobody will actually come out and say who the players are rumored to be.

I dont think it was as simple as a couple of drinks and consentual relations with one person, quite different if what I am hearing is correct......choo choo

I have not heard anything concerning the incident, I was just posting that when I was a student a handful of years ago the University policy was that a girl was not able to give consent if she was intoxicated. The fact that this girl called the police (?) shows that she believes she was sexually assualted. Regardless of the SLMPD's investigation, I have to believe these players will be sitting in front of the judicial board with expulsion being on the table.

I have not heard anything concerning the incident, I was just posting that when I was a student a handful of years ago the University policy was that a girl was not able to give consent if she was intoxicated. The fact that this girl called the police shows that she believes she was sexually assualted. Regardless of the SLMPD's investigation, I have to believe these players will be sitting in front of the judicial board with expulsion being on the table.

Oh man. The J-Board is brutal. I've heard some horror stories from the Kathy Humphries era. Basically it was her way or the highway. She's not at SLU anymore, is she?

I have not heard anything concerning the incident, I was just posting that when I was a student a handful of years ago the University policy was that a girl was not able to give consent if she was intoxicated. The fact that this girl called the police shows that she believes she was sexually assualted. Regardless of the SLMPD's investigation, I have to believe these players will be sitting in front of the judicial board with expulsion being on the table.

Which I think they'd prefer to sitting in front of RM. All I know at this juncture is after 42 years of being a Bills fan it sure ain't gettin' any easier.