The Big "L"east and other observations

slu72

3 L's out of 4... GU loses by 13 to Ohio (not Ohio State). Sadly, Richmond did not look like Richmond against St. Mary's. Why they didn't shoot more 3's was got me. They kept trying to go inside off the dribble, but St. M's bigs were having none of it. Watching that game I kept praying we'll get Loe to commit. A 7'1" guy takes up a lot of space in the paint and grabs a lot of boards. Richmond was outrebounded by about a 3-1 margin. St. M's had like 22 second chance points to Richmond's 2. Ballgame. Please deliver unto us Rob Loe. Temple may have the same problems with Cornell as they have a really big athletic Center. Skilled big guys are rarities in the A-10, we need one. If anything the first day showed there's a lot of good basketball being played around the country and it ain't all being played by the BCS'ers. Also, for the games I watched from the beginning it seemed a lot of the teams in the dance are not, repeat NOT, senior dominated teams. A lot of Jr's and Sophs in their starting lineups. We're gonna have to improve over the summer to get in next season. In addition to Loe, I wouldn't mind seeing us land a good slashing 3 as well. Bynum anyone? To give you an example, the kid Loyd from BYU was unreal. We could use a player like that. Thoughts on the kids that got away, Tyus and Suggs. Watched most of the FL vs BYU game and Tyus did a solid job, was easy to spot with his rasta do, but don't know if he'd have been a program changer. Suggs looked skinnier than Jon Smif. Again, didn't watch too much of that game, so don't really know how he played. He was in for awhile then pulled.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 L's out of 4... GU loses by 13 to Ohio (not Ohio State). Sadly, Richmond did not look like Richmond against St. Mary's. Why they didn't shoot more 3's was got me. They kept trying to go inside off the dribble, but St. M's bigs were having none of it. Watching that game I kept praying we'll get Loe to commit. A 7'1" guy takes up a lot of space in the paint and grabs a lot of boards. Richmond was outrebounded by about a 3-1 margin. St. M's had like 22 second chance points to Richmond's 2. Ballgame. Please deliver unto us Rob Loe. Temple may have the same problems with Cornell as they have a really big athletic Center. Skilled big guys are rarities in the A-10, we need one. If anything the first day showed there's a lot of good basketball being played around the country and it ain't all being played by the BCS'ers. Also, for the games I watched from the beginning it seemed a lot of the teams in the dance are not, repeat NOT, senior dominated teams. A lot of Jr's and Sophs in their starting lineups. We're gonna have to improve over the summer to get in next season. In addition to Loe, I wouldn't mind seeing us land a good slashing 3 as well. Bynum anyone? To give you an example, the kid Loyd from BYU was unreal. We could use a player like that. Thoughts on the kids that got away, Tyus and Suggs. Watched most of the FL vs BYU game and Tyus did a solid job, was easy to spot with his rasta do, but don't know if he'd have been a program changer. Suggs looked skinnier than Jon Smif. Again, didn't watch too much of that game, so don't really know how he played. He was in for awhile then pulled.

Don't forget Lucas O'Rear...

Omar Samhan completely dominated Richmond. Agree a big Center would help SLU.

O'Rear would have been huge on this year's Bills team however he is one goofy looking guy.

My girlfriend decided that UNI's team looks exactly like a bunch of corn fed, homegrown Northern Iowa farm boys, looking more local to where they play than any other team we saw yesterday. Glancing at the roster, she's pretty much spot-on.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/roster?teamId=2460

My girlfriend decided that UNI's team looks exactly like a bunch of corn fed, homegrown Northern Iowa farm boys, looking more local to where they play than any other team we saw yesterday. Glancing at the roster, she's pretty much spot-on.

That's stereotyping and I like it. Man they are all from IA.

Most of them have pretty ridiculous tattoos as well.

what about this guy?

http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/m-baskbl...r_jordan00.html

Posted Image

Thanks. I forgot about Harrelson. I didn't stay up late enough to watch his mop up minutes as KY demolished E. Tenn. Although, I did make some money on that one as I figured KY would cover pretty easily in order to get Harrelson some playing time and on national TV.

Somewhat related, I thought the same thing of Aldrich with Kansas, but that kid is much more athletic than I thought.

Not saying you think UNI's guys are unathletic.

Only 2 of UNI's starters are from Iowa. Of their 10 players only 3 are from IOwa.

What? Click on the link I posted, their 2009-2010 roster. 8 of them are from Iowa. I don't care how many starters are from Iowa, when they all get in the huddle, they absolutely fulfill the generalization my girlfriend made about them. Literally every benchwarmer for them is from Iowa.

And the ones who aren't from Iowa are from damn near there: Oakdale, MN; 2 from Ashwaubenon, WI; 2 from St. Louis area (if you count Nashville, IL, and I don't); and one from St. Paul. They aren't going very far for these guys.

With the A-10 going 0-2 so far (Xavier should win) maybe the A-10 wasn't that great too.

Truly disappointed in both Temple and Richmond's performance. St. Mary's made UR look totally out of synch. I didn't catch the Temple game but read where Cornell went nuts from 3 pt land. However, both St. M's and Cornell have a dominating big man, both +6'11". That's something Temple and UR didn't see in the A-10. True the A-10 has some athletic bigs, read PF's, but not what you'd call really good bigs. That's why I think it's critical we land Loe. If he's as good as advertised, he could wreak some havoc in the conference.

With the A-10 going 0-2 so far (Xavier should win) maybe the A-10 wasn't that great too.

Did Bernie Miklasz, once cited as the most influential sports person in St. Louis, write anything today about SLU and the A-10? Just curious.

Did Bernie Miklasz, once cited as the most influential sports person in St. Louis, write anything today about SLU and the A-10? Just curious.

Bernie knows baseball, and maybe football. But when it comes to basketball, he is completely clueless. As of a month ago, he said the A-10 was having a "down" year. I bet Bernie has never played a basketball game in his life.

Doesn't ever say that SLU should leave the A10, just that it's doing itself no favors by being in the A10 if the league isn't going to go to bat for them (which I don't completely blame Bernadette for not pushing for SLU). And really, even though the academic situation isn't favorable, obviously our student-athletes are still doing pretty well, looking at the All-Conference Academic list.

It is strange, though, that both Richmond and Temple didn't make it out of the first round. I got Xavier in the Elite Eight though, so Go Musketeers!

Doesn't ever say that SLU should leave the A10, just that it's doing itself no favors by being in the A10 if the league isn't going to go to bat for them (which I don't completely blame Bernadette for not pushing for SLU). And really, even though the academic situation isn't favorable, obviously our student-athletes are still doing pretty well, looking at the All-Conference Academic list.

It is strange, though, that both Richmond and Temple didn't make it out of the first round. I got Xavier in the Elite Eight though, so Go Musketeers!

If true, how could you not blame Bernadette? That statement makes no sense.

It would be nothing but beneficial for the entire league if SLU had made the NIT.

If true, how could you not blame Bernadette? That statement makes no sense.

It would be nothing but beneficial for the entire league if SLU had made the NIT.

Because if I was the Commish, I would be unhappy with Rick for what he has said about being in my league. The highest paid and most prolific, recognizable coach in my league went on a month-long lecture series about how he wants to be out of my league, and I'm going to reward him with an NIT invitation? I don't see how that makes sense. She got her two A10 teams, so the league is making money either way.

Do I agree with what she did? Not necessarily, but I don't completely blame her for not pushing for SLU. I can clearly see why, if she was asked Dayton, URI, or SLU, she would take Dayton/URI over Saint Louis. And personally, besides the prestige of being in the NIT, I think we ended up in a better place anyway with the CBI.

Bernie has improved as a writer since his marriage. He is vocalizing for Rickma. Whether we played this year in the NIT or where we are is not all that important. However, Rick is concentrating on next year and has already begun his campaign. He is using Bernie as his vocal point. On Bernie's radio show Rick indicated his displeasure with the A10. Bernie has since written on the subject, the last time being today. The A10 is being blamed for the SLU snub by the A10, not the NCAA and Bernie has mentioned valid reasons. Bernie has some national stature, so his comments are likely to be noticed outside of St. Louis. Next year Rick thinks he will be in the thick of things and he has started the campaign to be noticed, supported, and reckoned with. Next year if we have a chance at the NCAA the A10 better be supporting us.

Because if I was the Commish, I would be unhappy with Rick for what he has said about being in my league. The highest paid and most prolific, recognizable coach in my league went on a month-long lecture series about how he wants to be out of my league, and I'm going to reward him with an NIT invitation? I don't see how that makes sense. She got her two A10 teams, so the league is making money either way.

Do I agree with what she did? Not necessarily, but I don't completely blame her for not pushing for SLU. I can clearly see why, if she was asked Dayton, URI, or SLU, she would take Dayton/URI over Saint Louis. And personally, besides the prestige of being in the NIT, I think we ended up in a better place anyway with the CBI.

So you aren't blaming the commish for presumably acting like a child? Her job is to do what is best for the league, not to get even with her nemesis.

With your statements, you are basically condoning the commish picking teams based on her personal feelings rather than be objective.