NIT chance

slu72

We're gonna have to finish fourth, all alone, and win a tourney game or two I think. Beating UD would go a long way towards securing a spot. The NIT couldn't justify bumping us for them if that happens. With a lot of the BCS'ers shooting themselves in the foot these last two weeks, eg CT, NIT spots are gonna be tougher to hand out to the lower conferences.

We're gonna have to finish fourth, all alone, and win a tourney game or two I think. Beating UD would go a long way towards securing a spot. The NIT couldn't justify bumping us for them if that happens. With a lot of the BCS'ers shooting themselves in the foot these last two weeks, eg CT, NIT spots are gonna be tougher to hand out to the lower conferences.

We're currently a 7 seed(out of 8) and on the bubble if you look at that Nit-ology site. They have Dayton as a 1 seed.

We're currently a 7 seed(out of 8) and on the bubble if you look at that Nit-ology site. They have Dayton as a 1 seed.

:angry: Look at postcard scrambling to try to get into as many basketball related threads as he can. Nicely done. Keep it up!

For the seventh time - Why did you change your name from billiphan to postcard?

BTW, Joe Lunardi just moved Rhode Island from Last Four out to Last four in.

:angry: Look at postcard scrambling to try to get into as many basketball related threads as he can. Nicely done. Keep it up!

For the seventh time - Why did you change your name from billiphan to postcard?

BTW, Joe Lunardi just moved Rhode Island from Last Four out to Last four in.

Can you guys please take this somewhere else? Maybe the playground during recess.

Lots of time left...get on a run and win a few games and you'll get in the NIT for sure. In the end, I think the A-10 gets only three, as inevitable upsets in conference tourney's will happen, and those last four in you see now, would all be on the outside in the end most likely.

The committee has proven time and time again, unless you come from one of the BCS conferences, you have to MAKE the committee put you in. I'm rooting for as many non-BCS teams to get in as possible though...

Lots of time left...get on a run and win a few games and you'll get in the NIT for sure. In the end, I think the A-10 gets only three, as inevitable upsets in conference tourney's will happen, and those last four in you see now, would all be on the outside in the end most likely.

The committee has proven time and time again, unless you come from one of the BCS conferences, you have to MAKE the committee put you in. I'm rooting for as many non-BCS teams to get in as possible though...

Per the RPI as of this morning, the A-10 would still have 5 teams comfortably in the NCAA- 15 Temple, 19 Xavier, 29 Rhode Island, 30 Richmond, and 41 Dayton. I can see Joe Lunardi adding URI back into the field after URI destroyed Charlotte last night.

The NCAA would cut off at 51 Memphis.

And the MVC would have 2 teams in 21 Northern Iowa and 50 Wichita State, the second to last team in the NCAA.

On the other hand, I agree with you that absent being from the BCS, you have to make the Committee give you an at large bid. Enough non-BCS schools have been snubbed over the years.

Frankly, I see the Pac-10 as a major gremlin this year with 54 Arizona State and 55 Washington being the 3rd and 4th teams out per the RPI, and the UCLA AD being the Chairman of the NCAA Tournament Committee. There's talk out here about the Pac-10 getting 3 NCAA teams.

As for SLU, these close home court losses to Xavier and Temple, regrettably, have really hurt SLU's RPI, dropping it to 93, which is out of NIT range. The NIT cuts off today at 87 Arizona, and that will get worse.

An NIT bid, one of those infamous NIT automatic bids, was lost last night to Lipscomb, of all teams, RPI 210. That is patently absurd IMHO. Lipscomb went down to Kennesaw State (whom SLU defeated earlier in the season) early in the Atlantic Sun Tournament.

A road win at Dayton would really boost SLU's cause on multiple levels:

1. It would clinch the 4th seed and first round bye in the A-10 Tournament.

2. It would put SLU's RPI back into NIT range.

This is a really big game for both teams.

Otherwise, for the #4 seed, we need Richmond to win at home tonight against Dayton and on the road on Saturday at Charlotte.

It is entirely possible that Charlotte, SLU, and Rhode Island could finish tied at 10-6 in the league. By my reading of the A-10 Tiebreakers, in that scenario Charlotte would get the 4th seed, SLU the 5th seed, and URI the 6th seed, by virtue of Tiebreaker 3a- conference record vs. the highest common opponent, which would be Temple.

Per the RPI as of this morning, the A-10 would still have 5 teams comfortably in the NCAA- 15 Temple, 19 Xavier, 29 Rhode Island, 30 Richmond, and 41 Dayton. I can see Joe Lunardi adding URI back into the field after URI destroyed Charlotte last night.

The NCAA would cut off at 51 Memphis.

And the MVC would have 2 teams in 21 Northern Iowa and 50 Wichita State, the second to last team in the NCAA.

On the other hand, I agree with you that absent being from the BCS, you have to make the Committee give you an at large bid. Enough non-BCS schools have been snubbed over the years.

Frankly, I see the Pac-10 as a major gremlin this year with 54 Arizona State and 55 Washington being the 3rd and 4th teams out per the RPI, and the UCLA AD being the Chairman of the NCAA Tournament Committee. There's talk out here about the Pac-10 getting 3 NCAA teams.

As for SLU, these close home court losses to Xavier and Temple, regrettably, have really hurt SLU's RPI, dropping it to 93, which is out of NIT range. The NIT cuts off today at 87 Arizona, and that will get worse.

An NIT bid, one of those infamous NIT automatic bids, was lost last night to Lipscomb, of all teams, RPI 210. That is patently absurd IMHO. Lipscomb went down to Kennesaw State (whom SLU defeated earlier in the season) early in the Atlantic Sun Tournament.

Obviously, I'm some schmo on a computer and not on the NCAA selection committee, but I think you're really putting too much stock into the RPI for non-BCS teams. The committee has consistently shown to get an at-large from a non-BCS league, it is who have you played, and who have you beaten.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, and you were merely saying the teams that would be in if it went strictly off the RPI?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, and you were merely saying the teams that would be in if it went strictly off the RPI?

Yes, I was saying the teams by strictly following the RPI.

I know there are some variances, but I can tell you from following this closely over the years, that there are only about 3 variances or so per year between the NCAA Field and what it would be from strictly following the RPI.

This being said, I don't see the A-10 getting 5 teams, irrespective of the RPI. So I fully expect that at least 1 of the variances from the RPI will come right out of the A-10, if not 2 of them.

There is a lot of politics involved. People are now saying that Notre Dame is in or at least on the bubble, and ND's RPI is 61.

Looking at the field, perhaps we can add Florida (52), one of the 2 Pac-10 teams (54 Arizona State or 55 Washington), and 61 Notre Dame, and subtract Dayton (41) or Rhode Island (29), Wichita State (50), and either St. Mary's (45) or UConn (49). There's still talk about Illinois (72), as finishing 10-8 or 11-7 in the Big Ten traditionally is good enough for an NCAA bid.

I think the Pac-10 will take care of itself, as Cal will not win the Pac-10 Tournament, thereby yielding at least 2 Pac-10 NCAA teams. The question there is if the Pac-10 will get 3, not 2.

There would be an outcry from the Big East if UConn is left out, but UConn is only 7-10 in the Big East. To me that is not NCAA worthy.

Just so everyone knows- The Lipscomb Bisons (17-13; 14-6; RPI 209) punched their ticket to the NIT with a loss to Kennesaw State tonight in the Atlantic Sun Conference tournament!....how brutal is that!

They automatically qualify for the NIT due to their regular season Atlantic Sun championship...well, unless they get an at-large NCAA bid of course!

Just so everyone knows- The Lipscomb Bisons (17-13; 14-6; RPI 209) punched their ticket to the NIT with a loss to Kennesaw State tonight in the Atlantic Sun Conference tournament!....how brutal is that!

They automatically qualify for the NIT due to their regular season Atlantic Sun championship...well, unless they get an at-large NCAA bid of course!

So Lipscomb parlayed its quad "co-championship" in the Atlantic Sun Conference, for which it tied for the "title" with 3 other schools, and received the #1 seed in the Atlantic Sun Tournament by virtue of a tiebreaker, into an automatic NIT bid.

Are they waiting with baited breaths on the Sidewalks of New York for Lipscomb to make it to the NIT Final 4 at Madison Square Garden? Will tickets be scarce at MSG?

Much more likely these Lipscomb Bisons will be first round NIT cannon fodder.

If this doesn't show the absurdity of the new NIT's rule, then what does?

Assuming the NIT even exists in the forseeably near future, then perhaps the brilliant minds (NIT College of Retired Coaches?) that concocted this silly rule will see the error of their ways. I knew this was an utter basketball disaster in the making from the moment I heard about it.

Regardless of their RPI, Wichita State is not on the bubble, and has zero chance of getting an at-large.

Missouri State ends their season today anyway. :lol:

Bearvision. What the latest on Cuonzo Martin? How are Bears fans viewing him and this year (on top of last year)? Yes, we were short-handed when we played you (and I'd like to think the outcome if we played you guys now instead of in December w/o KM, CE and w/ BC limping) but still you guys sure looked better against us in December than you did throughout the conference season. Hope springs eternal so I assume next year will be better?

So Lipscomb parlayed its quad "co-championship" in the Atlantic Sun Conference, for which it tied for the "title" with 3 other schools, and received the #1 seed in the Atlantic Sun Tournament by virtue of a tiebreaker, into an automatic NIT bid.

Are they waiting with baited breaths on the Sidewalks of New York for Lipscomb to make it to the NIT Final 4 at Madison Square Garden? Will tickets be scarce at MSG?

Much more likely these Lipscomb Bisons will be first round NIT cannon fodder.

If this doesn't show the absurdity of the new NIT's rule, then what does?

Assuming the NIT even exists in the forseeably near future, then perhaps the brilliant minds (NIT College of Retired Coaches?) that concocted this silly rule will see the error of their ways. I knew this was an utter basketball disaster in the making from the moment I heard about it.

How DARE you sully Libscomb's good name with your sarcastic comments!!! lol...

Why is everybody so quick to discount their at-large chances? GEEZ! They have several quality wins over SIUE, Florida Gulf Coast, and South Carolina Upstate...can you say Cinderella!!!

How DARE you sully Libscomb's good name with your sarcastic comments!!! lol...

Why is everybody so quick to discount their at-large chances? GEEZ! They have several quality wins over SIUE, Florida Gulf Coast, and South Carolina Upstate...can you say Cinderella!!!

Go Bisons!

Go Lipscomb!

They're heading to the Sock Hop.

And starting this season, your Great West Conference Tournament Champion has an automatic bid to the CIT. That could be the South Dakota Coyotes.

When I read this stuff, I tell my friends back in the old home town that it is time for our Quincy University Hawks to go D-1. There's so many teams masquerading in D-1 that Quincy once played and defeated, the Hawks are missing out on all the fun. The Gem City is being deprived.

Regardless of their RPI, Wichita State is not on the bubble, and has zero chance of getting an at-large.

Missouri State ends their season today anyway. :lol:

I agree with you about WSU. I would be shocked to see Dayton get in unless they tear it up in the conf. tourney.