Tournament Credentials after Ellis' Arrival

slu314

Seeing that the NCAA screwed SLU by not letting Ellis play from the beginning of the year, shouldn't they ignore the early losses whose results may have been different with the current team.

Sigh, the NCAA is going to look at SLU's entire body of work, whether we like it or not. We are not going to make the tourney unless we win the A-10 tournament. We will make the NIT if we win one or two more games. LEts have that be our goal.

Seeing that the NCAA screwed SLU by not letting Ellis play from the beginning of the year, shouldn't they ignore the early losses whose results may have been different with the current team.

I would love to think so, but I don't think SLU will get any special consideration. Maybe if our abbreviation was UK or KU, we'd get some love.

Based on our resident RPI experts, I think winning the A-10 tourney is the only way to crash the dance.

Sigh, the NCAA is going to look at SLU's entire body of work, whether we like it or not. We are not going to make the tourney unless we win the A-10 tournament. We will make the NIT if we win one or two more games.

Agree.

LEts have [the NIT] be our goal.

Disagree.

Agree.

Disagree.

why? I mean obviously I would love for us to win the conference tourney and go to the dance, but as it stands we wouldn't even be in the NIT. I think that is a good thing to shoot for for such a young team.

Barring a collapse (lose last two and first tourney game), we're in the NIT right now. We're in fourth place in the best league outside of the BCS schools (better than the Pac-10 I may add). Let's just get this bye and try to win the tournament.

bad boyz for life

why? I mean obviously I would love for us to win the conference tourney and go to the dance, but as it stands we wouldn't even be in the NIT. I think that is a good thing to shoot for for such a young team.

I'd be happy with the NIT, I just don't want it to be the goal. I'd rather have the NCAA tourney be the goal.

I have to agree w/ moytoy. As long as the NCAA Tournament is a possibility, there should be no mention of the three-letter initialism. That only ceases to be a possibility when/if the Bills lose in the A-10 Tourney. The goal is to play your way into the Field of 65.

Also, there's no reason to get bent out of shape if the team loses one or both of the last two regular-season games: the goal is still to win the A-10 Tournament.

Barring a collapse (lose last two and first tourney game), we're in the NIT right now. We're in fourth place in the best league outside of the BCS schools (better than the Pac-10 I may add). Let's just get this bye and try to win the tournament.

bad boyz for life

The Temple game looms large. Win that and we're a lock for the NIT with a shot at the NCAA. Lose it and then we face a very touch road game at Dayton. The top half of the A10 is stacked this year.

I have to agree w/ moytoy. As long as the NCAA Tournament is a possibility, there should be no mention of the three-letter initialism. That only ceases to be a possibility when/if the Bills lose in the A-10 Tourney. The goal is to play your way into the Field of 65.

Also, there's no reason to get bent out of shape if the team loses one or both of the last two regular-season games: the goal is still to win the A-10 Tournament.

The NCAA tournament will always be a possibility when you play in the conference tournament. To "ignore" the NIT as a realistic goal until its too late (i.e. after we have lost in the A-10 tourney) seems silly. In reality, the A-10 tourney is the only thing that can get us in the dance so a realistic goal at this point for the next two games could be either 1) get the first round bye or 2) do enough to get an NIT bid. Turns out, both will probably happen with 1 more win in the final 2.

The NCAA tournament will always be a possibility when you play in the conference tournament. To "ignore" the NIT as a realistic goal until its too late (i.e. after we have lost in the A-10 tourney) seems silly. In reality, the A-10 tourney is the only thing that can get us in the dance so a realistic goal at this point for the next two games could be either 1) get the first round bye or 2) do enough to get an NIT bid. Turns out, both will probably happen with 1 more win in the final 2.

Had we beaten X and kept the streak alive we might have held out hope for some dance consideration. That also assumes we'd go 2-1 the rest of the way. A run to championship game would have been needed as well to make it happen. Our overall resume is just not that impressive especially w/ losses to MoSt and Bowling Green on there. The selection committee ain't gonna take pity on us because their clearinghouse brothers were a-holes. The only way short of winning the tourney that I can see is win our last two and make the championship game. I can see NIT if we don't go straight in the toilet over these next two games and are one and done in the tourney.

Had we beaten X and kept the streak alive we might have held out hope for some dance consideration. That also assumes we'd go 2-1 the rest of the way. A run to championship game would have been needed as well to make it happen. Our overall resume is just not that impressive especially w/ losses to MoSt and Bowling Green on there. The selection committee ain't gonna take pity on us because their clearinghouse brothers were a-holes. The only way short of winning the tourney that I can see is win our last two and make the championship game. I can see NIT if we don't go straight in the toilet over these next two games and are one and done in the tourney.

Yes. +1

Maybe someone has stats or as heard something along the following but I have to believer, aside from a team winning its conference tournament, that it is extremely rare to go from no post season in many years straight to the NCAA Tournament. Just seems like most team have a year or two at the NIT before taking the next step to the NCAA.

Since Cody arrived: 10-4, with 3 losses by a total of 9 points, 2 in overtime. This doesn't matter, but is interesting to think about...do we beat Georgia, MoSt, or BG with Cody here the entire season? Say we had won 2 of those 3, does 21-9 (10-4) make us on the bubble?

I realize it is unlikely and we'll most likely need to win the A-10 tourney, but getting to the tourney should be our goal. If that means winning out and getting to the A-10 tourney final or winning the A-10 tourney, that should be our goal.

The NIT should be a consolation prize that we are "ok" with, but I disagree it should be our stated goal. I want our guys to be a little disappointed if they don't reach the goal of getting to the dance in hopes that it makes them hungry to start the off-season program and to be that much better next year.

I realize it is unlikely and we'll most likely need to win the A-10 tourney, but getting to the tourney should be our goal. If that means winning out and getting to the A-10 tourney final or winning the A-10 tourney, that should be our goal.

The NIT should be a consolation prize that we are "ok" with, but I disagree it should be our stated goal. I want our guys to be a little disappointed if they don't reach the goal of getting to the dance in hopes that it makes them hungry to start the off-season program and to be that much better next year.

Boytoy-

I agree with you on that. And further, WR even stated on Fox News last night that the NCAA tourney is there goal...and he either said or implied that was a goal for THIS year.

Since Cody arrived: 10-4, with 3 losses by a total of 9 points, 2 in overtime. This doesn't matter, but is interesting to think about...do we beat Georgia, MoSt, or BG with Cody here the entire season? Say we had won 2 of those 3, does 21-9 (10-4) make us on the bubble?

I think we win all three of those, and possibly even Iowa State as well.

I think we win all three of those, and possibly even Iowa State as well.

I don't remember enough about the ISU game to comment on that one, but I was at the ND game and it was essentially an even game at halftime. He could've made that one pretty interesting I think.

I don't remember enough about the ISU game to comment on that one, but I was at the ND game and it was essentially an even game at halftime. He could've made that one pretty interesting I think.

I was at both games. The ISU game we had to play the whole first half without Kwamain and we didn't hit a single 3 until the last few minutes of the game. With CE in the lineup I'm sure that wouldn't have been an issue.

Both games we had huge scoring droughts the first 7 minutes of the second half that sunk our chances. By the way UIC's gym sucked. I'm glad we play at the Chaifetz and not a dump like that.

Yes. +1

Maybe someone has stats or as heard something along the following but I have to believer, aside from a team winning its conference tournament, that it is extremely rare to go from no post season in many years straight to the NCAA Tournament. Just seems like most team have a year or two at the NIT before taking the next step to the NCAA.

I don't know how rare it is. Here's just one example: Despite not playing any post-season tournament for four or five years, Missouri made last year's NCAA Tournament and then won three games.

The 2010 Billikens are good enough to play in the NCAA Tournament, but it took them a while to gel because of their youth and they were missing one of their best players until the conference games began, so their non-conference record and RPI don't appear to show that they're worthy.

Boytoy-

I agree with you on that. And further, WR even stated on Fox News last night that the NCAA tourney is there goal...and he either said or implied that was a goal for THIS year.

Did WR play with the Little Rockers on Hukabee last night?