Anyone regret the lack of a coach's show?

Now that the Billikens are hot and there's a buzz around campus and around town — and they're even getting a modicum of national attention — this would be the perfect time for the coach's show. It would help stoke the fire.

Sigh.

EDIT: This is not intended to be against anyone, just a lament of the status quo.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the Billikens are hot and there's a buzz around campus and around town — and they're even getting a modicum of national attention — this would be the perfect time for the coach's show. It would help stoke the fire.

Sigh.

EDIT: This is not intended to be against anyone, just a lament of the status quo.

Ehhhh, I could care less as long as we keep winning. If Majerus wants to sleep in his office at this point, I'm fine w/ that. Whatever keeps he and the team focused.

I would rather have porter have his own show, that way you at least get some real information out of it.

Perhaps, but Porter Moser isn't the head coach. The radio station has to be able to get sponsorships, and they really need to be able to put the head coach in that place.

Couldn't they set it up so that after practice on Monday Coach Majerus, another coach on a rotating basis, one or two available players (as picked by the coaches), Chris May, and other athletics department personnel go up to Lorenzini's and have an informal, pep-rallyish, broadcast? Other school's do something much like this. And Coach Majerus wouldn't necessarily have to remain the entire hour, and if he were traveling, he could call in.

They could play highlights of recent games and get feedback from the players. They could preview upcoming games and discuss future possibilities. They could make it more widely know that EVERY Saint Louis fan should be wearing white shirts, sweaters, jackets, etc. to Wednesday's game against Xavier.

Build on the momentum.

I believe that the lack of a coaches show creates a real gap for both the hard core and the more casual fans. I believe the lack of a show hinders the basketball program and the growth in attendance at the games.

I would suggest that a big part of being a fan is to be able to grow more familar with a team not only by observing them in action but by learning more about them as individuals. It may sound foolish but having a show and answering fans questions helps them feel wanted.

Those post game interviews with Spoon and his radio show were certainly positive experiences that I looked forward to. I remmber having Romar tell us about stopping by a local court and shooting baskets with the fellows playing there as a positive. I know Soderberg struggled at times but he also made a honest effort to sell the program to the fans as best he could.

Thus I believe having something on a regular basis would be very helpful for the program.

If Majerus does not want to do it having Moser and the other assisant coaches join Bob and Earl to talk things over and answer questions for an hour at a regular time would in my opinion be a very positive move.

I believe that the lack of a coaches show creates a real gap for both the hard core and the more casual fans. I believe the lack of a show hinders the basketball program and the growth in attendance at the games.

I would suggest that a big part of being a fan is to be able to grow more familar with a team not only by observing them in action but by learning more about them as individuals. It may sound foolish but having a show and answering fans questions helps them feel wanted.

Those post game interviews with Spoon and his radio show were certainly positive experiences that I looked forward to. I remmber having Romar tell us about stopping by a local court and shooting baskets with the fellows playing there as a positive. I know Soderberg struggled at times but he also made a honest effort to sell the program to the fans as best he could.

Thus I believe having something on a regular basis would be very helpful for the program.

If Majerus does not want to do it having Moser and the other assisant coaches join Bob and Earl to talk things over and answer questions for an hour at a regular time would in my opinion be a very positive move.

A million dollar coach should be on TV. Do you think Coach K or even Calipari have radio shows?

It would be nice but winning will bring in more fans than a coach show ever could.

so you mean we have to pick? either winning or a coach's show? cant have both? seems wrong.

i don't know if we can have both at SLU. in the past we had nice guys who you think were better people than majerus. none of them succeeded at the level that it seems like majerus is bringing us to. now we have majerus. i think what the majority of the board is saying is that we prefer having a winning coach to a nice guy coach.

so you mean we have to pick? either winning or a coach's show? cant have both? seems wrong.

i don't know if we can have both at SLU. in the past we had nice guys who you think were better people than majerus. none of them succeeded at the level that it seems like majerus is bringing us to. now we have majerus. i think what the majority of the board is saying is that we prefer having a winning coach to a nice guy coach.

again, i dont think we have to choose one or the other.

second, all the previous coaches back to grawer succeeded as well. they had more wins than loses. if you want to say they were mediocre, that is fine, but we have always been successful, just not on a grand level. which btw, hasnt happened yet. all signs point in the right direction. but pardon me if i wait till the season concludes before declaring this the greatest billiken season ever.

Just my two cents: I've been surprised to see so many people this season bent out of shape about Rick not doing a radio show. The key word there is 'radio'. Terrestrial radio is a dying industry. How many people could possibly be listening to that show?

Yes, he should be doing it because it's in his contract. Yes, having it would be helpful for the few fans out there who might be listening. I concede both of those points, but don't think it changes the fact that not having this show has a miniscule effect on winning new fans.

This is only a detriment to our very old fan base, as I imagine most people who still listen to the radio are probably pretty old. The potential new fans out there for our program are going to be younger people, and we're not going to win them over by having Majerus ramble for an hour on AM radio. Generating a stronger fan base will be driven almost completely by the buzz generated from winning more games, getting the students to become and remain passionate fans, and the internet.

When did dlarry say that you had to pick between a winning coach or a coach's show? If you really need a coach's show to be a content and happy fan then something is wrong.

If RM had a coach's show, you would be the first to boycott the show because you don't think he is a "good person". Here is a serious question for you, Roy: Have you been to any of the tip-off meetings this year? If so, how many have you attended?

Just my two cents: I've been surprised to see so many people this season bent out of shape about Rick not doing a radio show. The key word there is 'radio'. Terrestrial radio is a dying industry. How many people could possibly be listening to that show?

Yes, he should be doing it because it's in his contract. Yes, having it would be helpful for the few fans out there who might be listening. I concede both of those points, but don't think it changes the fact that not having this show has a miniscule effect on winning new fans.

This is only a detriment to our very old fan base, as I imagine most people who still listen to the radio are probably pretty old. The potential new fans out there for our program are going to be younger people, and we're not going to win them over by having Majerus ramble for an hour on AM radio. Generating a stronger fan base will be driven almost completely by the buzz generated from winning more games, getting the students to become and remain passionate fans, and the internet.

I hate to break it to you but "terrestrial radio" has been thought of as a dying industry since 1950. News of it's death has been exaggerated. Not everyone has or wants 5 billion cable channels. The rest of us listen to the Bills on the radio and Majerus too.

In any case, I'm guessing the left hates Limbaugh so much and he makes more money than GM because he's broadcasting on a dying platform that no one listens to.

Back to the topic. I couldn't care less if Majerus does a radio show or sleeps with sheep as long as the Bills are playing great and we aren't cheating to get there.

I don't think anyone declared this the greatest Billiken season ever. The Bills are finally winning and there is genuine excitement in the air. Why do we still need to bring up this stupid radio show garbage. Who cares about radio!!! Like someone else said - it is radio folks and who really listens. I like W's, exciting games, and watching talented kids play their hearts out and could care less about what coach says. Porter is doing just fine and he will be our coach in a few years anyway.

And one more thing - why do posters on this board continue to bring up ancient coaches and things that happened in the past? Give me a break and quit living in the past people. You need to let it go and deal with what’s at hand now and stop making comparisons. It's getting old!!!!

When did dlarry say that you had to pick between a winning coach or a coach's show? If you really need a coach's show to be a content and happy fan then something is wrong.

If RM had a coach's show, you would be the first to boycott the show because you don't think he is a "good person". Here is a serious question for you, Roy: Have you been to any of the tip-off meetings this year? If so, how many have you attended?

i am not presenting this from my viewpoint. you are exactly right, i couldnt care less from my standpoint. i wouldnt walk across the street to listen to him if i was paid to do so.

but most big time programs do have a coaches show either/both on radio/tv. the majority of the more casual fans like those shows to allow them to keep up with what is going on with the program.

last, go back and read larry's post, "but winning will bring in more fans than a coach show ever could".

my response was to say why cant we win and have a coach's show? it boggles me that folks agree we dont need to promote the program and our coach doesnt need to be an ambassador of all things slu as much as possible.

I hate to break it to you but "terrestrial radio" has been thought of as a dying industry since 1950. News of it's death has been exaggerated. Not everyone has or wants 5 billion cable channels. The rest of us listen to the Bills on the radio and Majerus too.

In any case, I'm guessing the left hates Limbaugh so much and he makes more money than GM because he's broadcasting on a dying platform that no one listens to.

Back to the topic. I couldn't care less if Majerus does a radio show or sleeps with sheep as long as the Bills are playing great and we aren't cheating to get there.

Way to shoehorn in your politics, Rich. That gets so old.

I can't speak for what people said in 1950 because that was 33 years before my birth. What I can say is that people around my age, and especially those younger, don't seem to be listening to the radio anymore. When you can have an entire music library along with unlimited free podcasts on a device smaller than a deck of cards, what does the radio even offer anymore? If people on here hadn't complained when he stopped doing his show, most SLU fans wouldn't have known the difference; actually, most probably still don't know.

In fact, I can count on one finger what I use AM/FM radio for at this point: live broadcasts of events I can't watch on TV for whatever reason. That's it. And the irony is, unless I'm in a car when that happens (which is virtually never), I get the signal via the internet. If car manufacturers made AM/FM radio optional, I would opt not to have it and save otherwise wasted money. All I would need in that spot is an AUX input for my auxiliary cord and iPod.

my response was to say why cant we win and have a coach's show? it boggles me that folks agree we dont need to promote the program and our coach doesnt need to be an ambassador of all things slu as much as possible.

I am sorry, but other than RM wanting better players and voicing his oppinion about the conference, I think he has been an excelent ambassador of all things SLU, henever fails to talk about the education level at SLU an the great education his players get. What else do you want him to do, wash the windows?

Back to ingnore for you roy...every ime you start to talk about just basketball I unignore you and sure enough you go back to you rant on Rick mode and back to ignore you go...BYE.

i am not presenting this from my viewpoint. you are exactly right, i couldnt care less from my standpoint. i wouldnt walk across the street to listen to him if i was paid to do so.

but most big time programs do have a coaches show either/both on radio/tv. the majority of the more casual fans like those shows to allow them to keep up with what is going on with the program.

last, go back and read larry's post, "but winning will bring in more fans than a coach show ever could".

Majerus appears to be a crabby, crude, egotistical, selfish , jackarse in addition to a brilliant tactition, winning coach and great recruiter. This is old news.

Majerus crowing about Cassity as an academic all-american does nothing for you? Roy you are more frustrating to watch than Brad's offense was.