now rickma does interview with the duquesne beat writer

That's a good solution in the future. I enjoy hearing Porter talk hoops. If he is the successor to RM, this would be good for him to be out there with the media.

I'd much rather hear Porter on a consistent basis. It would get his name out there also, which can't hurt.

Clock, I don't believe the sponsors of the show paid to support the "Billiken" show with May or Moser or anyone else othe than Rick. They wanted the RICK MAJERUS show. Without him it isn't the same thing. If you owned a business, would you truly pay the same amount for advertising to have May as the guest vs. Rick? If it were me, I'd be screaming for a refund.

BTW, I don't think it's fair to complain about our local media coverage when the university doesn't do much to make the coaches available. If RM doesn't want to promote the team locally, you can't expect the media to bend over backwards. As long as RM wins, improves attendance, improves TV ratings, gets more games on TV, etc., I don't care how he operates. Per the Caeser article, our tv ratings are bad. It would seem that one way to help accomplish some of this might be playing nice with the local media. That said, as long as we're in the NCAA tournament by next year, I'm a little disappointed but willing to accept things.

IMO, it's hypocritical of some of our fans to b!tch about coverage while, at the same time, saying RM doesn't need to pay attention to the local media. Nobody owes us anything.

All this hand wringing and complaining is ridiculous. I have tried to just stay out of all this bs but to suggest that the St. Louis media has given a #$%@ about our Bills for years except for a few games is just plain wrong. They do not attend even the home games. Most don't do anything to report on the Bills. Yet now that we have a big time coach and a team that looks promising they demand to be treated like they were here all along, supporting our home team, etc. We do have some people who have treated us fairly led by Frank C and TT has done a very nice job with his online blog. The rest of these folks are for the most part MU fans who just have negative things to say about the Bills. The fact is that we even opened up practice this year at times for the media. Surprise, surprise,-few showed up and none were the complainers. If they want to show some serious interest and become knowledgable about our team, this staff is very friendly and will give them time.

All this hand wringing and complaining is ridiculous. I have tried to just stay out of all this bs but to suggest that the St. Louis media has given a #$%@ about our Bills for years except for a few games is just plain wrong. They do not attend even the home games. Most don't do anything to report on the Bills. Yet now that we have a big time coach and a team that looks promising they demand to be treated like they were here all along, supporting our home team, etc. We do have some people who have treated us fairly led by Frank C and TT has done a very nice job with his online blog. The rest of these folks are for the most part MU fans who just have negative things to say about the Bills. The fact is that we even opened up practice this year at times for the media. Surprise, surprise,-few showed up and none were the complainers. If they want to show some serious interest and become knowledgable about our team, this staff is very friendly and will give them time.

Billikan, why so negative all the time about the STL media? Some of us view the glass as half full when discussing the media, while you always view that same glass as half empty.

Wait, timeout. That's what you accuse me all the time!

YF, Bauman

This isn't a forum dedicated to the media. Its for billiken fans. The forum is more bearable with people who are positive about the Billikens. We could care less if you are positive about the media. If you are a big media supporter, than go tweet with Miklasz and the others. I'm with Billikan on this one.

Billikan, why so negative all the time about the STL media? Some of us view the glass as half full when discussing the media, while you always view that same glass as half empty.

Wait, timeout. That's what you accuse me all the time!

YF, Bauman

Yes, I agree about the difference between RM and AD May and/or the assistant coaches. Still, I hope and expect SLU to have offered and provided them as alternatives to RM. If the station declined, then so be it. As I have said all along, SLU should have chosen a media craving AD knowing that RM does not want to deal with the local media. Ask the local media in Utah, he snubbed them as well. Do I wish RM were different? Of course. RM, though, is NOT and never will. Why hire a "behind the scenes" quiet guy? Frankly, I believe the station would have taken a combination of May and Moser with an occasion appearance by RM.

As to SLU not making the coaches available, not sure that is the case. Cannot believe Porter Moser has turned down any invitations. Do you know of any? Anyway, I do think SLU can and should be blamed for the lack of local coverage. I am not blaming the local media, though, for the lack of local coverage.

I don't know if Moser has turned down offers or not. No one showed up for the initial show. Do we know if this was RM blowing them off? If the university knew about it and didn't make anyone available, I'd blame them as well. That was the point I was trying to make with my comments. I suspect that 101 wouldn't be too keen on having a show that was hyped for Majerus go on without him being there. Again, I suspect they would have to adjust the advertising rates depending on whether or not RM decided to show up. From what I could determine listening to Rammer on the air Monday, the station didn't know RM was going to be there until the day of the show. I admit that I would be much less likely to listen to a Billiken show with some associate AD or SID as a guest than Majerus himself.

I got the impression you were blaming the local media when you complained about mizzou player profiles and not enough mention of our win over Richmond. Sorry if that wasn't the case.

Roar,

Well said! If we really want a winning program then we need to take the good with the bad. And to all of you losers out there who want Rick to be some kind of person he isn't: I hate to break the news to you - he won't!!!! He has always done things his way and will continue to. So shut up and live with it!! Too many St. Louisians feelings are hurt when things don't go their way. GROW UP!!!!!

We do have some people who have treated us fairly led by Frank C and TT has done a very nice job with his online blog. The rest of these folks are for the most part MU fans who just have negative things to say about the Bills. The fact is that we even opened up practice this year at times for the media. Surprise, surprise,-few showed up and none were the complainers. If they want to show some serious interest and become knowledgable about our team, this staff is very friendly and will give them time.

This is probably the best I have heard it summed up. If these yokuls want some sort of exclusive(what exactly do they want) then why can't they show up at a game or two? I presume most if not all live in the STL metro area. Get off your fat lazy asses and go to a game, postgame, practice, whatever.

Guess I need to work on my reading comprehension(SP?). :rolleyes:

Let RM coach and let everyone else do media and if RM occasionally does a guest spot take what he says with

a grain of salt as the guy exaggerates and speaks in such generalities because making a million dollars per year has put him in an exclusive club of coaches who really only care about their players and the results of the team as a whole. All the rest of this is hyperbole and useless conjecture trying to make reason where we

have a man known to be inconsistent at best.

Does anyone really think the Athletic Department would schedule a meeting at the exact time that the highest profile coach at the institution has a radio show scheduled? Give me a friggin' break.

When RM came to St Louis, what did all the out of town folks at Utah tell us? This is the kind of stuff you have to put up with when you have RM as our coach. The team is coming along well. We, the rabid fans, hang on every morsel of information we can get our hands on, and we ruminate over it, discuss it, analyze it. It really is too early to tell anything at this point.

Why don't we just all calm down and enjoy the show. Caesar has us wipped up into a frenzy.

Am I happy this is here? No. Will I lose sleep over it, not in the least. I prefer this to the dependable, reasonable, considerate Brad S or Rich G.

We are on the cusp of something big. Let's not mess it up.

mhg

Does anyone really think the Athletic Department would schedule a meeting at the exact time that the highest profile coach at the institution has a radio show scheduled? Give me a friggin' break.

When RM came to St Louis, what did all the out of town folks at Utah tell us? This is the kind of stuff you have to put up with when you have RM as our coach. The team is coming along well. We, the rabid fans, hang on every morsel of information we can get our hands on, and we ruminate over it, discuss it, analyze it. It really is too early to tell anything at this point.

Why don't we just all calm down and enjoy the show. Caesar has us wipped up into a frenzy.

Am I happy this is here? No. Will I lose sleep over it, not in the least. I prefer this to the dependable, reasonable, considerate Brad S or Rich G.

We are on the cusp of something big. Let's not mess it up.

mhg

Good Post.

Billikan. Agree with most of your comments but I just cannot go as far you do. W/o turning this into another local media/no respect for the Billikens thread by pointing out the continued snubs by the local media, the lack of Cody Ellis and CS personal interest story just amazes me. Such a story would appeal not only to hard core basketball fans but also to the casual fan. Not often that the local school lands a 6'8" power forward who puts up double digit ppg w/o any real practice with the team. So much for a freshman needing to adjust to both the college game as well as the American game.... Hell will freeze over if we waiting for Jeff Gordon, Tim McKernen and others to become SLU basketball fans. Still, I do expect that some local media will take to SLU and/or RM. You are right on, though, about most being "MU fans who just have negative things to say about the Bills"

At the same time, I cannot understand the lack of respect and RM's failure to warm-up to Bob Ramsey. The chemistry between them during post-game interviews and coaches shows in prior years is really, really bad. Bob if the Voice of the Bills and probably our best supporter these past 20 years and RM treats him terribly. Just me or why have RM and Rammer not gotten along?

Just to add something here: The reason there are no "feel good" stories about CE and CS is because you can't talk to them. I think TT called Ellis' dad for the story running tomorrow (which is online now). It makes it rough, especially for TV. Who wants to see Kwamain talk about Cody? Boring.

Broy - This is an interesting thread you started. In an attempt to thrash RM you have exposed yourself to a couple of hypocrisies.

You say that most of his answers are wrong. Outside of a few geographic and logistical errors, what was wrong with the interview. I would assume that your perpetual defense of the STUDENT-athlete would have you agreeing with RM's statements concerning the academic issues in relation to travel. This is where you are riding both sides of the fence in attempt to bash RM. I think the interview's main content is RM is trying to put the student-athlete first; a stance you often take in making RM look like a villain. So my question is the following: What is wrong with the content of RM's answers (other than what I stated above)?

You complain that RM continues to harp the same issue with an attempt to make a point. Kind of reminds me of you. You do the same thing on here - you harp and become very repetitive in an attempt to bring negative light to RM. We get it, you don't like RM. We get it, RM doesn't like the geographic layout of the A-10. At least RM is objective with his stance (My personal opinion: I don't think the MVC is a good choice for SLU but I see his point concerning travel and geographic layout of the A-10).

I think the firing of BS made you so upset that anyone could have filled the position and you would not like them. Everyone on here wants the Bills to win. We want great student-athletes who play basketball at an elite level. RM is bringing this to the program at a level unseen in the recent history of the program. The guy is on WGN with 2000 times more people listening continuing to appeal to a broader market - all in promoting the program. He brings a level of notoriety and attention to program previously unseen. I will take a little bad with the great amount of good that comes with RM.

Broy - This is an interesting thread you started. In an attempt to thrash RM you have exposed yourself to a couple of hypocrisies.

You say that most of his answers are wrong. Outside of a few geographic and logistical errors, what was wrong with the interview. I would assume that your perpetual defense of the STUDENT-athlete would have you agreeing with RM's statements concerning the academic issues in relation to travel. This is where you are riding both sides of the fence in attempt to bash RM. I think the interview's main content is RM is trying to put the student-athlete first; a stance you often take in making RM look like a villain. So my question is the following: What is wrong with the content of RM's answers (other than what I stated above)?

You complain that RM continues to harp the same issue with an attempt to make a point. Kind of reminds me of you. You do the same thing on here - you harp and become very repetitive in an attempt to bring negative light to RM. We get it, you don't like RM. We get it, RM doesn't like the geographic layout of the A-10. At least RM is objective with his stance (My personal opinion: I don't think the MVC is a good choice for SLU but I see his point concerning travel and geographic layout of the A-10).

I think the firing of BS made you so upset that anyone could have filled the position and you would not like them. Everyone on here wants the Bills to win. We want great student-athletes who play basketball at an elite level. RM is bringing this to the program at a level unseen in the recent history of the program. The guy is on WGN with 2000 times more people listening continuing to appeal to a broader market - all in promoting the program. He brings a level of notoriety and attention to program previously unseen. I will take a little bad with the great amount of good that comes with RM.

Couldn't agree more with this post. Great 1st post.

Thank you for the sound of reason. :P

I would assume that your perpetual defense of the STUDENT-athlete would have you agreeing with RM's statements concerning the academic issues in relation to travel. This is where you are riding both sides of the fence in attempt to bash RM. I think the interview's main content is RM is trying to put the student-athlete first; a stance you often take in making RM look like a villain. So my question is the following: What is wrong with the content of RM's answers (other than what I stated above)?

he says they miss so much school, but i dont see why he has to take the students out of class 2-3 days in advance and stay and extra day all the time. even flying commercial the opportunities to get flights the same day or the day before and minimize missed classes are there. i.e. i think he is contributing to the very problem he is trying to make out of the being in the a-10.

as to your statement about soderberg and your belief i would be against any coach that would have been hired, go back and read the posts on and around the hiring of rickma and see what my mood was then. i even remember that skip was against the hire and i spent a number of posts debating why rickma was going to be a great hire and the advantages of his hiring for the future of the program.

it was only after he started sending kids away from slu and some of his away from basketball stories pre slu and since started to surface that i soured on rickma. i have always said he will win. i just think our head coach should be more than just that. i am surprised so many have turned to a "just win baby, i dont care about anything else" attitude.

you guys need to get over soderberg. he is gone. to compare rickma to soderberg is like saying pujols is better than mike laga. that is pretty obvious. i would hope you all would have higher standards than "well he isnt soderberg". i hope he isnt as well. but off the court there is a lot rickma could learn from soderberg or romar or albert pujols. if only rickma could act like albert does off the field.

he says they miss so much school, but i dont see why he has to take the students out of class 2-3 days in advance and stay and extra day all the time. even flying commercial the opportunities to get flights the same day or the day before and minimize missed classes are there. i.e. i think he is contributing to the very problem he is trying to make out of the being in the a-10.

as to your statement about soderberg and your belief i would be against any coach that would have been hired, go back and read the posts on and around the hiring of rickma and see what my mood was then. i even remember that skip was against the hire and i spent a number of posts debating why rickma was going to be a great hire and the advantages of his hiring for the future of the program.

it was only after he started sending kids away from slu and some of his away from basketball stories pre slu and since started to surface that i soured on rickma. i have always said he will win. i just think our head coach should be more than just that. i am surprised so many have turned to a "just win baby, i dont care about anything else" attitude.

you guys need to get over soderberg. he is gone. to compare rickma to soderberg is like saying pujols is better than mike laga. that is pretty obvious. i would hope you all would have higher standards than "well he isnt soderberg". i hope he isnt as well. but off the court there is a lot rickma could learn from soderberg or romar or albert pujols. if only rickma could act like albert does off the field.

Actually, Albert has added a new word to his vocabulary-terse. If you listen to his reaction to media questions he is not the super, humble pie he used to be, now that he is a little dissatisfied with $10 mil per year