The #$%@ MVC stuff is never going away

davidnark

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/bask....atlantic10.ap/

I think this is all tied to the team losing its charter flights. A few months ago Majerus was bragging about how they had arranged the travel all year, and the kids wouldn't ever miss more than one day of class per week the entire rest of the season.

Biondi needs to find a donor to cover the $200 or $300k different in costs to fly the team charter.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/bask....atlantic10.ap/

I think this is all tied to the team losing its charter flights. A few months ago Majerus was bragging about how they had arranged the travel all year, and the kids wouldn't ever miss more than one day of class per week the entire rest of the season.

Biondi needs to find a donor to cover the $200 or $300k different in costs to fly the team charter.

Yeah, this is really getting out of hand.

He needs to keep him mouth shut.

But, to his credit, he sure can get his message out when he wants to.

RM is going to get himself in trouble. The longer keeps up this stuff the more it will start to wear thin on Biondi and May. I also think he needs to stop giving the players excuses for why they might not do well in school. I wonder if RM has another motive here.

IMO he is finally showing some good results, program is on schedule to go to the next level.

AND apparently, correct me if I am wrong, Biondi reneged on the committment for charter flights, so the the A-10 east coast travel issues are even worse than before.

Majerus holds the cards.

"Get me back my charter flights if you want to stay in the east coast league... or move us to the more appropriate, sensible MVC."

He is smart.

Yeah, I kind of think this is Majerus's way of leveraging the media to get his charter flights back. I certainly don't like him running his mouth like this, but he is in the right if Biondi really pulled the charter flights.

Yeah, I kind of think this is Majerus's way of leveraging the media to get his charter flights back. I certainly don't like him running his mouth like this, but he is in the right if Biondi really pulled the charter flights.

I too think this is all a ploy on Majerus's part. If you read Timmerman's Fordham wrap-up on Stltoday he flat-out states SLU will not be leaving the A-10 for the Valley. If Tom Timmerman knows this, so does Majerus.

This appears to be a battle for control by two egos.  The timing is unfortunate.  The program seems ready to take off and it may even happen this year.  The Pac 10 is doing poorly.  Various teams in the Pac 10 have lost on home court to Oral Roberts, Seattle, and Brigham Young.  Attendance at UCLA, with a losing record, is down to 2,000.  It is expected only the winner of the Pac 10 will go to the tournament.  This opens up possibilities for the Atlantic 10 and for the Bills.  The win against Richmond was impressive.  So was the over time loss to Charlotte on their  home court.  I think we have a chance for post season play.  The Temple game here may shape up as one of the great games ever.  Prior to the Fordham game I was at Humphrey's and the talk was about the tremendous up scale potential for the Bills.  So here we are at the door of success and we encounter bickering and in fighting.  It is tough to be a Billiken Fan.

I too think this is all a ploy on Majerus's part. If you read Timmerman's Fordham wrap-up on Stltoday he flat-out states SLU will not be leaving the A-10 for the Valley. If Tom Timmerman knows this, so does Majerus.

Agreed. Majerus is either the dumbest person in the world and doesn't know when to shut the hell up despite his bosses' wishes or this is nothing but a huge ploy to make the travel easier on the players.

Despite the fact I've long agreed with much of the pro-MVC argument, I wish he would just stop with this as it is a really annoying debate to have every few days or so. Hopefully Biondi caves on the travel soon and Majerus gets back to doing what he does best...recruiting.

Agreed. Majerus is either the dumbest person in the world and doesn't know when to shut the hell up despite his bosses' wishes or this is nothing but a huge ploy to make the travel easier on the players.

Despite the fact I've long agreed with much of the pro-MVC argument, I wish he would just stop with this as it is a really annoying debate to have every few days or so. Hopefully Biondi caves on the travel soon and Majerus gets back to doing what he does best...recruiting.

we should take up a collection to pay for the flights, if for nothing else so he shuts the f up.

I think we can all see Majerus' point. Going to the MVC was easier to swallow when it was a better league. with the A-10 rising now not so much. Personally I don't care where the league is, the Billikens can play teams in China as long as it the best most competitive league that we can be in. The MVC is a step down. That hurts the program in every area.

If Majerus is trying to get the charter flights back this is a shrewd move. There really is no excuse for this. SLU has overflowing coffers and could easily find someway to pay for Charter flights to every road game. If we want to play in this league this is what we have to do for our students.

How many times have we heard this refrain over the years. Biondi talks big and then refuses to s*** out a nickel. This is smalltime stuff that should have been taken care of. Biondi knew the deal when he built the arena, moved into the A-10 and hired a HOF coach. You can't cut off funds now.

I've sent out another round of e-mails to atheltic department and wrote a letter to Father Biondi. I encourage all of you to do the same.

What is Guy Phillips salary? That must pay for a charter flight or two.

RM is going to get himself in trouble. The longer keeps up this stuff the more it will start to wear thin on Biondi and May. I also think he needs to stop giving the players excuses for why they might not do well in school. I wonder if RM has another motive here.

Do you think May has any say in what happens to RM?

I don't like giving opponents bulletin board material the way he did.

"No one wants to go to Olean, N.Y., (St. Bonaventure) and Massachusetts and those places,"

Let's beat St. Bonaventure before we make statements like this.

The more I think about this the more angry I get.

He needs to shut his mouth. Case closed. I don't care if this is a "shrewd" move.

I don't have a problem with him talking. Father Biondi has made promises before and reneged. This is not new. The thing that changed is we have a coach that has access to national media. When he says something it makes headlines. Biondi will have to keep his promises or be roasted in the press. For years Biondi has made statements and refused to back him and no one ever made him accountable for it. Now Majerus is doing that the only way he knows how.

Regardless of what happens, understand this - Biondi holds the cards. Period. Anyone who thinks differently is either naive or illogical. Majerus has a right to an opinion, but he also bears the responsibility for sharing it, especially in the manner in which he shares it. He could end up hurting a lot of people if he is not careful, which, ironically, would make him quite the hypocrite.

I don't have a problem with him talking. Father Biondi has made promises before and reneged. This is not new. The thing that changed is we have a coach that has access to national media. When he says something it makes headlines. Biondi will have to keep his promises or be roasted in the press. For years Biondi has made statements and refused to back him and no one ever made him accountable for it. Now Majerus is doing that the only way he knows how.

I have not talked to the coach about this so I am not speaking from any inside knowledge, just my personal opinion.

There was never a schedule of charter flights for all games so I do not know where all of you come up with that idea.

I was never a fan of the MVC idea even when they were flying high because our school is nothing like the teams there except Creighton.

The A 10 has really come on and is a much better league top to bottom than the MVC.

Northern Iowa is the only team that is really playing decent and then there is Wichita State is second. Neither of those places is easy to get to at all. In fact, they would be extremely long all day bus trips each way.

With all respect, who cares if we play Evansville or Indiana State. Illinois State--no one cares.

The only two teams that really can create some interest locally are SIU and Mo State--teams that we already play. Creighton would be a nice opponent but they refuse to play us. And don't anyone think that the trip to Omaha is an easy one. Another brutal bus trip.

At least Bradley is fairly close but only us old fans even remember any games against Bradley.

I know a lot of people have been frustrated by the A10 and their attitude, particularly the idiotic TV contract but it seems to me that we have a window of opportunity to do something special if these young kids continue to develop and nothing is going to be helped by continuing this debate. How is it possible that when we have the best most promising team in years we get pub for some supposed contraversy about the conference rather than the good young team. To me, it is extremely frustrating.

Regardless of what happens, understand this - Biondi holds the cards. Period. Anyone who thinks differently is either naive or illogical. Majerus has a right to an opinion, but he also bears the responsibility for sharing it, especially in the manner in which he shares it. He could end up hurting a lot of people if he is not careful, which, ironically, would make him quite the hypocrite.

What is Biondi going to do? Fire Majerus? Tear down the arena? In regards to the basketball program those are really the only two credible moves he has made in 25 years.

If Biondi continues making cheapskate moves after all he has done he runs the risk of losing every booster he has for the program.

What is Biondi going to do? Fire Majerus? Tear down the arena? In regards to the basketball program those are really the only two credible moves he has made in 25 years.

If Biondi continues making cheapskate moves after all he has done he runs the risk of losing every booster he has for the program.

Cheapskate moves? Have you seen the artwork and fountains? :D

I have not talked to the coach about this so I am not speaking from any inside knowledge, just my personal opinion.

There was never a schedule of charter flights for all games so I do not know where all of you come up with that idea.

I was never a fan of the MVC idea even when they were flying high because our school is nothing like the teams there except Creighton.

The A 10 has really come on and is a much better league top to bottom than the MVC.

Northern Iowa is the only team that is really playing decent and then there is Wichita State is second. Neither of those places is easy to get to at all. In fact, they would be extremely long all day bus trips each way.

With all respect, who cares if we play Evansville or Indiana State. Illinois State--no one cares.

The only two teams that really can create some interest locally are SIU and Mo State--teams that we already play. Creighton would be a nice opponent but they refuse to play us. And don't anyone think that the trip to Omaha is an easy one. Another brutal bus trip.

At least Bradley is fairly close but only us old fans even remember any games against Bradley.

I know a lot of people have been frustrated by the A10 and their attitude, particularly the idiotic TV contract but it seems to me that we have a window of opportunity to do something special if these young kids continue to develop and nothing is going to be helped by continuing this debate. How is it possible that when we have the best most promising team in years we get pub for some supposed contraversy about the conference rather than the good young team. To me, it is extremely frustrating.

This is probably the best assessment of the entire argument that has been put forth on this topic. And, the comments on travel are dead on.

The formative years of my Billiken fandom was when SLU was in the Valley and at a time when it was strong with the likes of Louisville and Memphis State. I have some fond memories of some great battles with Bradley, but at this point, I don't have any interest in going back.

Torch, please understand not every booster is thrilled with the Rick Majerus show and I don't mean the one on the radio. Yes, there are boosters that want to see Fr. Biondi held accountable but there are also MANY boosters who are not fond of Rick's "antics".

The next few years should be interesting because I believe there are more boosters than you might think who are split on the Rick Majerus era.

I think all would agree that they want to see the program build and they want to see wins, I think many are now wondering "at what cost?"

As for me, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. When Majerus got here, I liked everything about him. Now, there are a lot of things about him that I wish were different.

Torch, please understand not every booster is thrilled with the Rick Majerus show and I don't mean the one on the radio. Yes, there are boosters that want to see Fr. Biondi held accountable but there are also MANY boosters who are not fond of Rick's "antics".

The next few years should be interesting because I believe there are more boosters than you might think who are split on the Rick Majerus era.

I think all would agree that they want to see the program build and they want to see wins, I think many are now wondering "at what cost?"

As for me, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. When Majerus got here, I liked everything about him. Now, there are a lot of things about him that I wish were different.

I just watched the video from BillikenReport.com and its obvious that Rick is pissed about something. I know Billikan says there is no substance to the charter flight ordeal, but I don't know anymore. During the press conference he consistently harped on cutting back on expenses. Something doesn't seem right.

I cannot believe some of you.

Criticizing RM over off the court issues when we are improved so dramatically, with a very bright future.

SO WHAT if he does not like A-10 and says SLU should be in MVC.

So-called boosters, GET OFF HIS BACK!

We even had a loon on this board tell everyone on the board to call the AD that say that RM should keep his mouth shut on the A-10 issue.

Organizing against RM. Who TF do some of you think you are?

It is apparent that Biondi reneged on the charter flights, so some extent, or to a significant extent, to a major extent, we do not know.

I say we want to keep Majerus.

He is a winner.

He is recruiting strong talent and teaching our players... look at progress for Willie and Jon Smith for example.

Let him have his way on some of this, hopefully he will stay several more years and make us a "factor".

Establish things and hand off to a prominent succcessor.

And a lot of you break his balls over the small stuff.

You want to help drive him off?