SAINT vs St.

On the live stats feed for BGSU they list us as "St. Louis". Am I the only one who is annoyed when Saint Louis is abbrev. St. Louis?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

+1

School's official name is SAINT Louis. It's not nitpicking. Ask any university official what to put down for an application.

+1

School's official name is SAINT Louis. It's not nitpicking. Ask any university official what to put down for an application.

Actually, I would say it is nitpicking. Most people just assume since St. is a standard abreviation for Saint that it's ok. To be honest, I doubt anyone really cares if our panties are in a wad. If it wasn't for this board, I wouldn't know the difference.

Actually, I would say it is nitpicking. Most people just assume since St. is a standard abreviation for Saint that it's ok. To be honest, I doubt anyone really cares if our panties are in a wad. If it wasn't for this board, I wouldn't know the difference.

Agree with Skip. 99% of the references to our city are "St. Louis". To me, it's like giving your child an unusual spelling for a common name and then complaining when people don't get it right...or like "Dr. FrankenSTEEN".

Agree with Skip. 99% of the references to our city are "St. Louis". To me, it's like giving your child an unusual spelling for a common name and then complaining when people don't get it right...or like "Dr. FrankenSTEEN".

Yes, the city is always written as St. Louis, but...

...The university is always written as Saint Louis University by anything from the university. I do believe the two are different. I don't expect that to be adhered to universally across the nation, but that is what it is.

Our ESPN bottom line name is "Saint Lou" which I like better than St Louis

Yes, the city is always written as St. Louis, but...

...The university is always written as Saint Louis University by anything from the university. I do believe the two are different. I don't expect that to be adhered to universally across the nation, but that is what it is.

Our ESPN bottom line name is "Saint Lou" which I like better than St Louis

Is the city actually St. Louis or Saint Louis? My point was, how would anyone know St. wasn't an acceptable abreviation?

The city is correctly spelled with the abbreviation St. Louis

The University along with most other things named after Louis IX is Saint Louis.

I do have to correct people who spell it abbreviated. It makes it confusing because UMSL is abbreviated. SLU is not a government entity, has nothing to do with the city of St. Louis besides residing in it so they can and should spell it whatever way they want.

Incidentally their is a small college in Florissant near where I live called Saint Louis Christian College. I have no idea why they spell it that way, since they are not in St. Louis proper, not even close, and are not affiliated with France or Catholicism.

The University along with most other things named after Louis IX is Saint Louis.

I do have to correct people who spell it abbreviated. It makes it confusing because UMSL is abbreviated. SLU is not a government entity, has nothing to do with the city of St. Louis besides residing in it so they can and should spell it whatever way they want.

Incidentally their is a small college in Florissant near where I live called Saint Louis Christian College. I have no idea why they spell it that way, since they are not in St. Louis proper, not even close, and are not affiliated with France or Catholicism.

"St. Louis" is pronounced "Saint Louis," just like "Mr." is pronounced "mister." "$10" is pronounced "ten dollars."

So, is the city not named after Louis IX? And if Saint Louis University is not connected with the city of St. Louis, why does it have the name of the city? Or why isn't it located elsewhere, if it's named after some patron saint?

I respect the spelling of "Saint Louis," myself, but I won't throw a fit if I see it rendered "St. Louis" in the media. Fort and mount are other words often abbreviated.

"St. Louis" is pronounced "Saint Louis," just like "Mr." is pronounced "mister." "$10" is pronounced "ten dollars."

So, is the city not named after Louis IX? And if Saint Louis University is not connected with the city of St. Louis, why does it have the name of the city? Or why isn't it located elsewhere, if it's named after some patron saint?

I respect the spelling of "Saint Louis," myself, but I won't throw a fit if I see it rendered "St. Louis" in the media. Fort and mount are other words often abbreviated.

Spelling it abbreviated is Americanizing the name.

The University is named after Louis IX, not the city. Correct me if I'm wrong but Catholics don't abbreviate the Saint when they are referring to an actual Saint?

St Bonaventure abbreviates their name. it is strange. SLU doesn't so I make sure I throw a fit when someone spells it incorrectly.

I won't throw a fit, I would just rather see it abbreviated as SLU especially in the score overlay.

Spelling it abbreviated is Americanizing the name.

The horror!

The University is named after Louis IX, not the city. Correct me if I'm wrong but Catholics don't abbreviate the Saint when they are referring to an actual Saint?

I really don't know. Again, I personally respect the University's wishes because I am aware of them and don't have to worry about space or ink, but I don't get upset about seeing "St. Louis" to refer to the school elsewhere because their either don't know or have their own established usage guidelines which they consistently follow. Also, I just don't buy that SLU is affiliated with Louis IX rather than the city where it's located. I just don't.

St Bonaventure abbreviates their name. it is strange. SLU doesn't so I make sure I throw a fit when someone spells it incorrectly.

Suit yourself, but I see no reason to get my blood pressure up over it. Plus, you can complain until you're blue in the face, but usage says that "St. Louis" is spelled correctly.

"Saint" Louis University is nothing more than an affectation, one shared by the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra, the Saint Louis Art Museum and the Saint Louis Science Center. This whole concept that the University is spelled Saint because it's named after the saint is ridiculous, and disproved by this snippet from the University's own history site (disproved because, if "Saint" is spelled out for saints, good Jesuit logic would dictate that they spell out the name of their own founder):

"In 1826, the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) accepted Bishop Du Bourg’s invitation to assume control of the struggling St. Louis College. The group of 12 Jesuits who had arrived in St. Louis in May 1823 were operating a seminary as well as a school for Native American boys in Florissant, Missouri, a few miles to the northwest of the College. In November 1829 St. Louis College began that year under Jesuit administration with Father Peter J. Verhaegen, S.J., becoming the school’s first Jesuit president. Verhaegen, like all of the Jesuits who came to St. Louis in 1823, was from Belgium. In addition, he and most of the other Belgian Jesuits were very young men when they came to America. Verhaegen was only 29 years old when he assumed the presidency. Saint Louis University received a formal charter from the State of Missouri in 1832 making it the oldest University west of the Mississippi River. Saint Louis University became the second university operated by the Jesuits in America (Georgetown College opened in 1789). Even in 1829, the Jesuits operated hundreds of schools in dozens of countries all around the world. These schools followed a plan of studies articulated by St. Ignatius Loyola as early as 1551 and eventually formulated in the Ratio Studiorum, promulgated in 1599. The overarching purpose of Jesuit education is to teach young people how to become practical, socially responsible, humanistic and spiritual human beings. This value-centered approach to education still drives Saint Louis University as it approaches the new century."

I'm not entirely sure why the U. insists on spelling out Saint -- perhaps one of the folks on the board with close ties to the PR department can get the back story on this. From a style standpoint, as I've noted before, it confounds copy editors, who would have to write with conflicting style within a few words of each other, as in "Saint Louis University in St. Louis, Missouri." (Ironically, AP Style calls for "Saint Louis University," but only because the dictate for style for university names is how they're listed in one of the Webster's dictionaries. But this also gets ignored by most major newspapers, since the style for all the California universities would be "University of California, Davis," "University of California, Berkeley," etc.

Oh, and the official name of Ohio State is The Ohio State University, which the vast majority of media in America ignores.

I see this as extreme nitpicking. I understand that SLU would prefer it as Saint Louis University. But, in reality, the city is fine with being designated with the abbreviation. Let's face it, the university is associated with city, and so is the saint. Thus, St. or Saint is going to be acceptable regardless. I am pretty sure that in Philly, they are cool with it being called St. Joe's as oposed to Saint Joseph's. Personally, I prefer SLU or Saint Louis, but if it it is shown as St. Louis then I don't really care. It is just accepted.

When I posed the question. I probably should have included that I was most annoyed by it when they used the st. louis in the score overlay and not SLU.

I used to have a dog that I called ######. Even though his name was Copper. This type of thread is gay.

I'm going to get a dog and name him "Riiichard" and then spend the rest of my life correcting everyone who spells it "Richard".

I think the debate here is on track but with the wrong word.

Why can we not get the THE added to the beginning of the title.

The Saint Louis University is how I refer to my alma mater in conversation.

NOW we are talking! Maybe we can get a football team and win THE Rose Bowl as well!

I do get frustrated when I see it written as St. instead of Saint. I have commented in the Post many times about it. Interestingly, recently I have been filling out random online forms, and many times the forms do not recognize St. or change it automatically to Saint even when I am talking about my city of residence!

Also, why does it seem that there is a generation gap in how we refer to our school? I feel like many alumni refer to it as St. Louis U., but NEVER a current student. It is always just SLU...

Also, why does it seem that there is a generation gap in how we refer to our school? I feel like many alumni refer to it as St. Louis U., but NEVER a current student. It is always just SLU...

It seems like the oldest alums refer to it as "St. Louie U." I've heard that from a lot of people, all of them around my grandparents' age.