OBSERVATION ON UMKC GAME

Billikan

Just back from the game.

Tonight KM became Marque Perry. He was unstoppable off the dribble and his outside shooting was good as well. He was the reason we won this game.

UMKC did the double and triple team on Willie similar to the Mo State game and we finally took advantage by having KM who could drive hard to the hoop. The help defense time and again stayed with Willie leaving KM with a lane to the hoop. If we would have had him last game the story may have had a different ending.

Early in the game I was very impressed by the motion/dribble drive offense of UMKC. Femi, time and again was beat either off the dribble or on the back door. Kyle was better and in the second half we adjusted with better help. They had 3 6'5" guys who could play the perimeter and take it to the hole. Overall, even though they made some nice plays and some tough shots I thought our defense was ok.

On offense, when we struggle to hit outside shots the collapsing defense around Willie bottles us up in the middle. Our outside shooting was absolutely terrible except for KM. Christian had numerous wide open looks but could hit nothing. JJ took some NBA length 3 point shots and they were not pretty.

Overall I am very pleased to get the win and our senior point guard (oops--I mean sophomore!) saved the day. Our guys need to get tougher and play smarter but mostly we need to hit some outside shots. I hope all have a great Christmas.

Is it ironic that KM has the injured eye, yet he is the ONLY player who can see the hoop?!?

Other players: Thanks for taking up space and watching Kwamain Iverson go to work.

Willie, Brian, JJ, Christian, and Kyle: you are cordially invited to attend SLU men's basketball vs. Eastern Illinois at Chaifetz Arena on Tuesday, December 29, 2009. I sincerely hope you SHOW UP

basically what we saw tonite was umkc picking their poison. they kept weakside help home to double on reed with reed's man and let kwamain's man fend for himself. he pretty much fouled those three guys out single handedly. had they decided to play a normal man to man, kwamain would have had reed for easy dishes when the secondary defenders came over to help after he beat his man.

cory just keeps getting better.

interesting game but we still need other guards to step up more than salecich hitting free throws.

How did the student section look? Were there more SLU students this time? Did they let UMKC students in the student section?

Weaksauce. It was me, 05, NH, one other kid who is usually there, Jimbo, and his two friends. That was our student section. The part that gave a f*** anyway. About 15 UMKC students showed up in the section and were relocated to behind the UMKC bench. 05 was s***ing a brick when he saw those kids. The rest of the section slowly filled up with mostly normal, quiet Bills fans.

How did the student section look? Were there more SLU students this time? Did they let UMKC students in the student section?

Before the game it looked like they were going to let UMKC fans sit in the student section. Then I think '05 (I'm actually sure who he is but I assume it was him) complained to some of the Chaifetz staff and the UMKC fans were moved behind the UMKC bench (probably better seats, but not in the student section). Then they were briefly moved back to the student section and '05 was fuming. Eventually right before the game started all the UMKC fans were moved behind the UMKC bench.

The student section had the usual group of kids in the front and it looked like maybe some alumni or older fans filled it in. There were certainly more SLU fans in the section than last game, but I'm not sure how many were students. I for sure saw some kids young enough to get the Build-a-Billikens, so unless Doogie Howser is going to SLU they were not students.

Great game by KM, he was unstoppable on the dribble drive. I stood up and yelled at the fans to "stand and cheer" after the 3rd trip in a row with KM goin to the hoop and got a lot of angry looks.

KC needs to enroll at Fontbonne, he has no business here. Sorry as he seems like a good kid but he is way over his head.

Before the game it looked like they were going to let UMKC fans sit in the student section. Then I think '05 (I'm actually sure who he is but I assume it was him) complained to some of the Chaifetz staff and the UMKC fans were moved behind the UMKC bench (probably better seats, but not in the student section). Then they were briefly moved back to the student section and '05 was fuming. Eventually right before the game started all the UMKC fans were moved behind the UMKC bench.

The student section had the usual group of kids in the front and it looked like maybe some alumni or older fans filled it in. There were certainly more SLU fans in the section than last game, but I'm not sure how many were students. I for sure saw some kids young enough to get the Build-a-Billikens, so unless Doogie Howser is going to SLU they were not students.

Gee here is a novel idea - they bought tickets so why not let them sit where their ticket says they should sit - duh - why all the moving.

Gee here is a novel idea - they bought tickets so why not let them sit where their ticket says they should sit - duh - why all the moving.

They did not buy student section tickets--they bought general admission but with the student section not full they then just go there and sit down.

KC needs to enroll at Fontbonne, he has no business here. Sorry as he seems like a good kid but he is way over his head.

just curious, if cassity is indeed as inept as you continue to say day after day after day, why is it that rickma has him playing the fifth most minutes on the team, playing in all the crunch time spots, guarding the toughest out court player, inbounding the ball on all stopped plays? i mean rickma pretty much told the players in the past few years that werent good enough they couldnt compete at our level. one would think he would be lucky to get 8th man minutes if he was so bad.

i thought the last two games cassity showed more than he has since the billikens left for chicago. i agree he has a few games where he was not good at all at just about every aspect, but he has stepped up his game again with the exception of scoring. i dont think his scoring attitude is acceptable, but every other aspect of his game is better than any other guard we got except mitchell imo. and until jordan and salecich and john play defense, quit with the turnovers, and play off the ball the way rickma wants, imo cassity is still a vital part of this team with this roster.

now do the other three have the god given tools to surpass cassity? i would say yes, but thus far they havent stepped up. and for anyone to take swipes first at cassity tonite considering the lesser defense and floor games the other three guards played tonite makes no sense to me.

i am beginning to accept cassity may never have a scorers mentality, and eventually it indeed may send him to the scout team or to a new educational experience, but honestly there are a few other guards that have far more holes in their total game on this roster than kyle cassity right now. and the fact that they do have more god given ability and dont use it to it's fullest basketball potential should piss people off more than kyle cassity playing the game correctly but not scoring. it does me.

just curious, if cassity is indeed as inept as you continue to say day after day after day, why is it that rickma has him playing the fifth most minutes on the team, playing in all the crunch time spots, guarding the toughest out court player, inbounding the ball on all stopped plays? i mean rickma pretty much told the players in the past few years that werent good enough they couldnt compete at our level. one would think he would be lucky to get 8th man minutes if he was so bad.

i thought the last two games cassity showed more than he has since the billikens left for chicago. i agree he has a few games where he was not good at all at just about every aspect, but he has stepped up his game again with the exception of scoring. i dont think his scoring attitude is acceptable, but every other aspect of his game is better than any other guard we got except mitchell imo. and until jordan and salecich and john play defense, quit with the turnovers, and play off the ball the way rickma wants, imo cassity is still a vital part of this team with this roster.

now do the other three have the god given tools to surpass cassity? i would say yes, but thus far they havent stepped up. and for anyone to take swipes first at cassity tonite considering the lesser defense and floor games the other three guards played tonite makes no sense to me.

i am beginning to accept cassity may never have a scorers mentality, and eventually it indeed may send him to the scout team or to a new educational experience, but honestly there are a few other guards that have far more holes in their total game on this roster than kyle cassity right now. and the fact that they do have more god given ability and dont use it to it's fullest basketball potential should piss people off more than kyle cassity playing the game correctly but not scoring. it does me.

I have been a fan of Cassity until tonight. I have seen enough. His poor shot and stupid turnovers are not even the reason. The kid is afraid, plain and simple. If you are scared you need to make a change. Maybe he would be better suited somewhere else.

Plus, I am drunk and like when you go and post long rants.

Just back from the game.

Tonight KM became Marque Perry. He was unstoppable off the dribble and his outside shooting was good as well. He was the reason we won this game.

UMKC did the double and triple team on Willie similar to the Mo State game and we finally took advantage by having KM who could drive hard to the hoop. The help defense time and again stayed with Willie leaving KM with a lane to the hoop. If we would have had him last game the story may have had a different ending.

Early in the game I was very impressed by the motion/dribble drive offense of UMKC. Femi, time and again was beat either off the dribble or on the back door. Kyle was better and in the second half we adjusted with better help. They had 3 6'5" guys who could play the perimeter and take it to the hole. Overall, even though they made some nice plays and some tough shots I thought our defense was ok.

On offense, when we struggle to hit outside shots the collapsing defense around Willie bottles us up in the middle. Our outside shooting was absolutely terrible except for KM. Christian had numerous wide open looks but could hit nothing. JJ took some NBA length 3 point shots and they were not pretty.

Overall I am very pleased to get the win and our senior point guard (oops--I mean sophomore!) saved the day. Our guys need to get tougher and play smarter but mostly we need to hit some outside shots. I hope all have a great Christmas.

I'm sorry but I thought we were awful in almost every facet of the game except the "give it to Kwamain so he can take over" aspect. Free throws were awful except for Christian. Willie was missing in action and didn't seem to have nearly the same impact on either end of the game that we have seen in the past. I almost wonder if he was sick. Brian had a rough game and certainly didn't rise to the challenge of being benched. If it wasn't for KM we clearly would have lost and it would have been a loooong week until we played again. Kwamain was outstanding though and my hats off to him for taking over when he needed to.

Lastly, anyone that says we NEVER have the refs in our favor probably should watch tape of that game. They served us up a nice home-cooked Christmas dinner and there really is no disputing it.

Back from the game, a couple observations

• Team Defense was really bad tonight, especially in the 1st half.
  • The next step in Willie's development will be better recognition and handling of the double teams. He is still hesitant on where to go with the ball when the double team comes.
  • One more note on Willie, tonights game really displayed how his offense really fuels the rest of his game. The lack of offense effected his rebounding and defense. He is usually all over the boards and a hawk for blocks but was well below his season averages in those categories. Willie also needs to learn not to let his offense effect the other aspects of the game.
  • I was really hopeful that KC would gain confidence after those first couple buckets, but when he air ball'd the 3, I knew whatever confidence was built early was gone.
  • Femi can't hit the ocean from the pier.
  • JJ's aggression on offense is nice. I know everyone is upset about his defense, but the fact that his only has 2 turnovers in the last 2 games is impressive, especially considering he was the primary PG vs a very good Missout St. team. Not too many Frosh PG's that could run the point against a top D1 team and only have one turnover.
  • I really like Remekin's energy and continued improvement on defense. He stuggled with the basketball in his hands tonight, hopefully he can get over that.
  • KM is a pure stud. Not much else to say, he has been red hot from the field in his last two games.
  • This has to be one of the worst FT shooting team in the nation statistically.

I have been a fan of Cassity until tonight. I have seen enough. His poor shot and stupid turnovers are not even the reason. The kid is afraid, plain and simple. If you are scared you need to make a change. Maybe he would be better suited somewhere else.

Plus, I am drunk and like when you go and post long rants.

Also it seems Cassity's unwillingness to shoot is spreading like a disease to other players. Femi was wide open for what seemed like forever towards the end of the 1st half and when he passed up the shot the entire building let out a groan. We need these kids to grow a pair and put up a shot when they are wide open. Just shoot with confidence if you are wide freaking open and if it doesn't fall its okay, you still took a good shot. The problem is these guys usually hesitate when they are wide open instead of shooting in rhythm and end up putting up an awkward shot. Then they are even more tentative when it comes to shooting even if they are wide open.

I thought the two hard drives to the basket were the best two goals he scored all year. Very impressive. Also, Femi was getting beat like a drum and Kyle came in and played much better fundamental defense. He will not be a star but I still have hope that with some experience and some more muscle and more confidence he can be a nice niche player for the Bills. From what I hear about McCall and Evans he will have to raise his level of play if he wants to see much playing time next year.

Also it seems Cassity's unwillingness to shoot is spreading like a disease to other players. Femi was wide open for what seemed like forever towards the end of the 1st half and when he passed up the shot the entire building let out a groan. We need these kids to grow a pair and put up a shot when they are wide open. Just shoot with confidence if you are wide freaking open and if it doesn't fall its okay, you still took a good shot. The problem is these guys usually hesitate when they are wide open instead of shooting in rhythm and end up putting up an awkward shot. Then they are even more tentative when it comes to shooting even if they are wide open.

I didn't have as much of a problem with FJ passing on that attempt to shoot. At that time we were tied and I felt if he missed it UMKC had a chance to get the reb. and get out on the break, score, and go on a quick run. I was more than happy to run the clock down and give the roos a little less time for their last possession even though we didn't score anyway.

[*]One more note on Willie, tonights game really displayed how his offense really fuels the rest of his game. The lack of offense effected his rebounding and defense. He is usually all over the boards and a hawk for blocks but was well below his season averages in those categories. Willie also needs to learn not to let his offense effect the other aspects of the game.

UMKC's entire gameplan was to take Willie out of the game. They executed it very well. On defense they double and triple teamed him from the start and basically frustrated anything he did on offense down low, so later in the game Willie started roaming the perimeter which is not his game. On offense, they spread the floor to take Willie out of the lane. Therefore he was not able to block shots with help defense and was never really in a good position to grab a rebound since he was guarding someone near the 3 point line.

Fortunately in UMKC's effort to take Willie out of the game, they let KM run wild and he was spectacular.

Weaksauce. It was me, 05, one other kid who is usually there, Jimbo, and his two friends. That was our student section. The part that gave a f*** anyway. About 15 UMKC students showed up in the section and were relocated to behind the UMKC bench. 05 was s***ing a brick when he saw those kids. The rest of the section slowly filled up with mostly normal, quiet Bills fans.

really, c'mon runnin' did my presence mean nothing at all?