PHENOMENAL Student Turnout tonight

AlumniFan

Too bad they were all MSU fans!!!

TOTALLY PATHETIC. It was SO BAD I took a picture of the "Blue Crew" student section which was packed to the gills with MSU students and a smattering of overwhelmed SLU students. If I was a member of the Blue Crew, I would be HUMILIATED by what happened in the student section tonight. Tonight, I was embarrassed to be a SLU alum. I took a picture of the student section, but I am not sure how to down load it. I wish I could just so people could see how bad it was.

And, don't give us any crap about being on break. A very large percentage of SLU students are still from St. Louis, but the MSU students IN OUR STUDENT SECTION outnumbered the SLU students by at least 20 to 1. How is it that their students can show up on break and SLUser students cannot?

P A T H E T I C!!!!!!!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TOTALLY PATHETIC. It was SO BAD I took a picture of the "Blue Crew" student section which was packed to the gills with MSU students and a smattering of overwhelmed SLU students. If I was a member of the Blue Crew, I would be HUMILIATED by what happened in the student section tonight. Tonight, I was embarrassed to be a SLU alum. I took a picture of the student section, but I am not sure how to down load it. I wish I could just so people could see how bad it was.

And, don't give us any crap about being on break. A very large percentage of SLU students are still from St. Louis, but the MSU students IN OUR STUDENT SECTION outnumbered the SLU students by at least 20 to 1. How is it that their students can show up on break and SLUser students cannot?

P A T H E T I C!!!!!!!

i totally agree. i was disgusted. don't give me any crap about MSU fans taking over the student section. most of the slu fans in the student section were alumni who moved from their seats to help support. its the same old song. it doesn't matter if you have a great team, a million dollar coach, students at slu couldn't give a crap up slu basketball unless its totally convenient for them. it was the same way in the 70's and the same way now. we don't really deserve a good division 1 program. then i hear all of this b and m about all of the old people at the bills games. those are the only people who really care. i am a season ticket holder and have been since Eckert was the coach.

after tonight, i am tempted to finally give it up. How embarrasing to let the oposition students take over the Fetz!!! i am really ticked.

i totally agree. i was disgusted. don't give me any crap about MSU fans taking over the student section. most of the slu fans in the student section were alumni who moved from their seats to help support. its the same old song. it doesn't matter if you have a great team, a million dollar coach, students at slu couldn't give a crap up slu basketball unless its totally convenient for them. it was the same way in the 70's and the same way now. we don't really deserve a good division 1 program. then i hear all of this b and m about all of the old people at the bills games. those are the only people who really care. i am a season ticket holder and have been since Eckert was the coach.

after tonight, i am tempted to finally give it up. How embarrasing to let the oposition students take over the Fetz!!! i am really ticked.

Best line all night...

Its amazing to me why more students dont go to the games.

College kids dont go out untill 10-11 PM anyway so what is the reason for not going?

I get it college kids like to "pre-party" before going out to the bars but could'nt the students acomplish the same thing at the game.

I understand that a lot of college kids like to have a few drinks before going to parties but couldnt that be done at the game?

To me going to the game before going to the bars or parties would be the perfect way to start the evening.

You can show up, have a few drinks, make plans with fellow students for after the game, watch some good basketball, and still have the entire night ahead of you.

I just dont understand it!

A question for the students who do go....whats the deal?

Is it not the "cool" thing to do?"

Are there crazy parties going on at 7PM?

Is it to expensive?

Whats the problem?

And I hope that I never see anybody compaling about all the old people at the games on here anymore because without the old people tonight would of been 70 % MSU fans

For the record I dont consider myself one of the old fans im 30.

The students *should* be ashamed -- but someone in the athletic department should be fired.

It's no secret that we have student apathy. It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone who's been anywhere near SLU basketball for the past two years, let alone the past 20 years, that we would have a very small student turnout tonight.

HOW HARD IS IT TO REQUIRE A SLU STUDENT ID TO SIT IN THE SLU STUDENT SECTION?

More than that, I'm not acquainted with the intricacies of ticketing within that section, but I can't imagine that all those maroon jerseys HAD TICKETS FOR THOSE SEATS. I might have expected the ushers simply to tell them to move -- BUT THE FREAKING USHERS ALL WEAR MAROON SHIRTS. (Thanks to B-Roy for pointing that out. Do we have anyone in sports marketing who understands even the most basic elements of branding?)

50 or so SLU students in the section right next to the court -- with a couple hundred empty seats -- would have been more intelligent than what happened this evening. (It also looked as if another 100 or more SLU fans ended up sitting behind the MSU students that hijacked the section.) It's our own damned fault (or at least the athletic department's fault) that we gave up that element of the home court advantage. We paid $70M for a home court. We could at least manage the game-day procedures as if we thought it was a good investment.

Agreed with AlumniFan on all points. Blue Crew, and the SLU student section as a whole, has been more or less pathetic for probably around 50% of all SLU games going back to the late 90's, but this night really took the cake. I don't care about the fact that SLU students are on break. With an undergraduate population of around 7,000, probably around 50% of whom live in the St. Louis area, there is absolutely no excuse that only a handful of SLU students were in the "student section."

The MSU students in attendance tonight would've outnumbered the SLU students at several games this year easily, even when school has been in session. Completely and utterly disgraceful.

We've heard so many excuses for why SLU students don't consistently come out to basketball games, save for the few games a year when they decide to make an appearance. It used to be "it's too tough to get to the Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade Center." That has been rectified. SLU students now have a comfortable walk to the arena now. We've heard "I have a lot of homework." SLU is a good school academically, but let's face it; it's not Harvard. If you manage your time, you can make room for the 2-2.5 hours a basketball game takes. We've heard "the team isn't good enough." I don't care. SLU might not be ranked in the top 25, and they might not make the NCAA Tournament, but it's not like they're on their way to a 5 win season either. They have some good talent, and much more often than not they put together an effort that is definitely worth the students getting behind.

The simple fact here is that the Blue Crew, and the students as a whole, are not, nor have they ever been a group of people who can be counted to show up for a game. Sure they have their couple of games a year where they actually show up and make make it a great atmosphere, then we see this "Blue Crew Nation" garbage, but on the whole we normally just get the 1 or 2 dozen who actually care enough to come to games. I'm glad for that 1 or 2 dozen, but it's not enough. If the students aren't going to show up, give their plum seats to real fans and stick them wherever there's room.

To the SLU students here who are in that group that really does care: I don't care what you have to do, but you need to get your fellow students to come to games. Not just when school is in session, but during breaks as well, because right now, the student section just isn't good enough.

The Blue Crew's complete lack of attendance tonight was utterly shameful and embarrassing. After the game, I heard someone say something very simple, yet this comment said it all. They said "just like the basketball team tonight, the SLU students were beaten.

Agreed with AlumniFan on all points. Blue Crew, and the SLU student section as a whole, has been more or less pathetic for probably around 50% of all SLU games going back to the late 90's, but this night really took the cake. I don't care about the fact that SLU students are on break. With an undergraduate population of around 7,000, probably around 50% of whom live in the St. Louis area, there is absolutely no excuse that only a handful of SLU students were in the "student section."

The MSU students in attendance tonight would've outnumbered the SLU students at several games this year easily, even when school has been in session. Completely and utterly disgraceful.

We've heard so many excuses for why SLU students don't consistently come out to basketball games, save for the few games a year when they decide to make an appearance. It used to be "it's too tough to get to the Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade Center." That has been rectified. SLU students now have a comfortable walk to the arena now. We've heard "I have a lot of homework." SLU is a good school academically, but let's face it; it's not Harvard. If you manage your time, you can make room for the 2-2.5 hours a basketball game takes. We've heard "the team isn't good enough." I don't care. SLU might not be ranked in the top 25, and they might not make the NCAA Tournament, but it's not like they're on their way to a 5 win season either. They have some good talent, and much more often than not they put together an effort that is definitely worth the students getting behind.

The simple fact here is that the Blue Crew, and the students as a whole, are not, nor have they ever been a group of people who can be counted to show up for a game. Sure they have their couple of games a year where they actually show up and make make it a great atmosphere, then we see this "Blue Crew Nation" garbage, but on the whole we normally just get the 1 or 2 dozen who actually care enough to come to games. I'm glad for that 1 or 2 dozen, but it's not enough. If the students aren't going to show up, give their plum seats to real fans and stick them wherever there's room.

To the SLU students here who are in that group that really does care: I don't care what you have to do, but you need to get your fellow students to come to games. Not just when school is in session, but during breaks as well, because right now, the student section just isn't good enough.

The Blue Crew's complete lack of attendance tonight was utterly shameful and embarrassing. After the game, I heard someone say something very simple, yet this comment said it all. They said "just like the basketball team tonight, the SLU students were beaten.

SLU students are some of the nerdiest people I have ever met. You would have thought they went to WashU. People at SLU don't like sports. It's that simple.

Why would your admin allow any fan with a student ID to sit in your student section? That's a head scratcher...what did they expect to happen? MSU has 40% of their students from St. Louis, and they're on break, and the basketball team is unbeaten...of course they're going to come out.

I'm surprised to hear/read SLU has such a poor student section, but when MSU was struggling too much last year, I would walk up and get front row seats in the student section. Keep winning games and they'll come out in better numbers.

I really think people just don't give a sh!t. They go when it's good for them. I'd say 25% of students don't even know we have a basketball team. Of the 75% who know I'd say 5% think we suck. 15% Just don't like basketball or sports. 10% Think its stupid or "uncool". 15% have other stuff to do... A lot of the times I hear that guys in frats don't go because they have frat stuff to do. And then I'd say there is probably 10% that say its too expensive.

That being said:

THE LACK OF STUDENT SUPPORT IS CRAP!!! I don't know what to do over break outside of making tickets free. I guess pizza before the game might help.

The students *should* be ashamed -- but someone in the athletic department should be fired.

It's no secret that we have student apathy. It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone who's been anywhere near SLU basketball for the past two years, let alone the past 20 years, that we would have a very small student turnout tonight.

More than that, I'm not acquainted with the intricacies of ticketing within that section, but I can't imagine that all those maroon jerseys HAD TICKETS FOR THOSE SEATS. I might have expected the ushers simply to tell them to move -- BUT THE FREAKING USHERS ALL WEAR MAROON SHIRTS. (Thanks to B-Roy for pointing that out. Do we have anyone in sports marketing who understands even the most basic elements of branding?)

50 or so SLU students in the section right next to the court -- with a couple hundred empty seats -- would have been more intelligent than what happened this evening. (It also looked as if another 100 or more SLU fans ended up sitting behind the MSU students that hijacked the section.) It's our own damned fault (or at least the athletic department's fault) that we gave up that element of the home court advantage. We paid $70M for a home court. We could at least manage the game-day procedures as if we thought it was a good investment.

I agree, the Student Section was a complete let down! But the SLU Athletic Dept. should take some blame for this one! This was the promotion going on for the night:

Men's Basketball vs. Missouri State - Dec. 19, at 7 p.m.

*All high school and college students who have a valid school ID can receive a $10 ticket and sit in the SLU student section

*All SLU students can show their SLU ID and receive a $5 ticket

Notice it says they can sit in the " SLU student section"! How stupid is that? I was hoping that Billiken Fans would get on their phones and text some friends and let them know that there was a Billiken "take-over" in the process and an army of students would show up to support the home team. But of course that would never happen. SLU students, you should be ashamed!

I really think people just don't give a sh!t. They go when it's good for them. I'd say 25% of students don't even know we have a basketball team. Of the 75% who know I'd say 5% think we suck. 15% Just don't like basketball or sports. 10% Think its stupid or "uncool". 15% have other stuff to do... A lot of the times I hear that guys in frats don't go because they have frat stuff to do. And then I'd say there is probably 10% that say its too expensive.

That being said:

THE LACK OF STUDENT SUPPORT IS CRAP!!! I don't know what to do over break outside of making tickets free. I guess pizza before the game might help.

I think this would be a demographic to start with.

I went to SEMO from 98-02 and greek life is what made up the studnent section there were only 6 frats on campus but I would bet they would bring atleast 200-300 people to the games.

If you can convince 1 or 2 guys in one frat to go to the game they woudl bring 30 more guys.

If you could get a second frat that would be another 30 or so.

Plus if the guys are going their groupy gals will follow along and that could lead to 30 more women.

And I doubt any fraternity on campus has frat activities planned on a friday or saturday night. Those night of the week are reserved to party.

I think this would be a demographic to start with.

I went to SEMO from 98-02 and greek life is what made up the studnent section there were only 6 frats on campus but I would bet they would bring atleast 200-300 people to the games.

If you can convince 1 or 2 guys in one frat to go to the game they woudl bring 30 more guys.

If you could get a second frat that would be another 30 or so.

Plus if the guys are going their groupy gals will follow along and that could lead to 30 more women.

And I doubt any fraternity on campus has frat activities planned on a friday or saturday night. Those night of the week are reserved to party.

I like this idea. The frats do show up its just random when they do and when they don't.

You'd think it would be pretty easy.

I saw how the whole thing transpired with the MSU fans ending up in the student section. Upon them starting to show up, they took went straight for the front row. billikenfan05 then started approaching anybody that he could find to try to get the situation rectified. He repeatedly said something to one of the events staff girls, who from where I was looked like she didn't want to be bothered with the situation. Finally he got an usher or someone else in some position of authority to take action and wait for it... make the MSU students move back a whole few rows.

There is one thing that especially burns me about SLU's handling of this situation. There are Band members that have friends, families, significant others, etc who sit in the few rows of seats directly behind the Band. Earlier in the season the Band was told by the athletic department that those people shouldn't be sitting in those seats because those seats were supposed to be for people who were actually students. Going by that logic, the MSU students should've been told to leave the section as well. I guess SLU is willing to kick their own people around, but will bow and curtsy to the opponent.

But the SLU Athletic Dept. should take some blame for this one! This was the promotion going on for the night:

Men's Basketball vs. Missouri State - Dec. 19, at 7 p.m.

*All high school and college students who have a valid school ID can receive a $10 ticket and sit in the SLU student section

*All SLU students can show their SLU ID and receive a $5 ticket

Notice it says they can sit in the " SLU student section"! How stupid is that? I was hoping that Billiken Fans would get on their phones and text some friends and let them know that there was a Billiken "take-over" in the process and an army of students would show up to support the home team. But of course that would never happen. SLU students, you should be ashamed!

Wow, didn't know that. Someone should be fired for that idea. I'd rather have the student section empty than have fans of the other team sitting there.

Talk like this will get you all banned by a guy who never even went to SLU.

Yeah, and that guy who never went to SLU is the reason you have a forum to spew your stupidity and the reason real SLU fans have a place to talk about the team. Fortunately, he tolerates a lot of BS (which is why you are even allowed to post a syllable). I am pretty sure you are not required to read this board let alone post on it. Are you really so self-obsessed that you cannot see how lucky we all are that this board even exists????

In the words of Jim White, "You can't fix stupid".

P A T H E T I C!!!!!!!

This post really PISSES me off!! I'm sure that there were tons of other people, just like me, glued to their computers at home yelling just as loud as if they had been at the game. But yes, I am home for Christmas break, and it killed me to not be there, but I just obviously could not. I am a member of the Blue Crew, and it is sad, but I am more humiliated that a "alumnus" who is a "fan" would post like this. A little over-dramatic... I think that the student support this year has been FAR better than any year that I have been at SLU, which I admit has only been 4 years, but still the improvement is noticeable.

I like this idea. The frats do show up its just random when they do and when they don't.

Id look into it if I were you.

Most school usually have a IFC counsell or something like that.

Its a meeting with representitives of all the frats and a faculty advisor.

Try and talk to the faculty member who runs the meetings and see if you or someone else involved with the blue crew can have a few minutes at a meeting.

When I was at SEMO this is when other student orginizations would come and ask for support from the greek system.

Im sure the school would be all for it because they know the advantages of having a full student section.

It may only work for a few games but the extra attendance would probably help bring back the occasional supporter.

If the student section fills up for a couple a games word may spread that its a good place to hang out with fellow students.

I think that if the student section fills up a few games in a row the people will keep coming back.

Even non sports lovers will feel the excitment in sharring a common intrest with 100's of their fellow classmates and hopefully keep coming back.

Possibly check with the bars around campus. See if you can arrange special happy hours for students who have ticket stubs.

SLU is working against a lot of years of non-student support but it wont take much to get them coming back