PHENOMENAL Student Turnout tonight

AlumniFan

This post really PISSES me off!! I'm sure that there were tons of other people, just like me, glued to their computers at home yelling just as loud as if they had been at the game. But yes, I am home for Christmas break, and it killed me to not be there, but I just obviously could not. I am a member of the Blue Crew, and it is sad, but I am more humiliated that a "alumnus" who is a "fan" would post like this. A little over-dramatic... I think that the student support this year has been FAR better than any year that I have been at SLU, which I admit has only been 4 years, but still the improvement is noticeable.

You have NO IDEA what pissed off is. You're still in school at SLU. A lot of us have been supporting this team for decades, through a lot worse times than the last couple of years. It is one thing to have a bad game or even a bad year, but to see 200 maroon shirts filling the student section of a SLU game (I have the pictures to prove it) is HUMILIATING for alums and should be for students. You should not be pissed off by my post; you should be pissed off at all the SLU students who live in St. Louis, but were too lazy/busy/disinterested to come down to the game to support the team. The AD was monumentally stupid too (and I rarely criticize the school) for allowing this promotion, but at the end of the day, if the SLU students show up, this entire thread does not exist.

Bottom line - WE HAVE A LOT MORE TO BE PISSED OFF ABOUT THAN YOU DO and I think that is true for the majority of the fans/alums who have supported this team for the past 30 years. If what happened tonight bothers you, don't ***** at the people who wrote the checks to build the Chaifetz arena, ***** at your fellow students!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think it would be pretty easy.

I saw how the whole thing transpired with the MSU fans ending up in the student section. Upon them starting to show up, they took went straight for the front row. billikenfan05 then started approaching anybody that he could find to try to get the situation rectified. He repeatedly said something to one of the events staff girls, who from where I was looked like she didn't want to be bothered with the situation. Finally he got an usher or someone else in some position of authority to take action and wait for it... make the MSU students move back a whole few rows.

There is one thing that especially burns me about SLU's handling of this situation. There are Band members that have friends, families, significant others, etc who sit in the few rows of seats directly behind the Band. Earlier in the season the Band was told by the athletic department that those people shouldn't be sitting in those seats because those seats were supposed to be for people who were actually students. Going by that logic, the MSU students should've been told to leave the section as well. I guess SLU is willing to kick their own people around, but will bow and curtsy to the opponent.

OK, Chris May. We know you, or someone who works for you, monitors this board. It's time to issue a public apology to the SLU community immediately. Part of that apology should be an assurance that you're going to call in your entire staff, including anyone who remotely touches game-day activities, and explain who they work for. That would be the fans who have supported this program through thick and thin, and are explicitly offended at what happened this evening. The planning of the "promotion" was clearly blown from the instant it was conceived, and no one in the chain of command realized what kind of disaster was being invited.

Nor did they fix the problem as soon as it became obvious, which was before the game even started. If you were at the game, you should have gathered every usher and security person in the place and politely informed the MSU fans that they were not allowed to sit in the SLU student section. Every member of your staff with any trace of authority should have initiated the same action. (I'd be interested to know what their tickets actually said. Did it say "admit one to the SLU student section," or simply "general admission"?) In any event -- if the University of North Carolina can eject a single heckler from Mousefart U. because it didn't like him sitting among the team's family members, Saint Louis University certainly could have admitted its mistake and offered the MSU fans the option of moving elsewhere in the arena or a refund for their ticket price.

And if you or any of your staff had anything to do with DeSmet Billiken's story about friends and family of the band, you need to apologize for that as well, to the band -- the most loyal and enthusiastic Billiken fans of all -- and to their friends and family, who were filling seats that, for all except maybe one game this year, were clearly NOT filled by students. Coupled with the band, those friends and family comprised the best cheering section in all of the Chaifetz.

Finally, you should apologize to Coach Majerus and the team. He may or may not have given you an earful already -- he's been very good about going out of his way to praise the fans in his home-game post-game interviews this year, but he also most likely reviewed tonight's films and UMKC scouting films immediately because of the next game in just three days. In any event, we had an understaffed team playing its heart out tonight, and the athletic department greatly diminished our home court advantage.

We have a first-class coach. We have a first-class facility. It's time for first-class support for every single aspect of the game-day experience.

-- Joe Bonwich

Listen, folks, here's the bottom line.

The offer was there for SLU students to buy the tickets for $5. When they didn't and a massive group of MSU students showed up, SLU had to sell them the tickets. It's that simple. There really is no reason to be mad at the athletic department. You have to remember, NCAA Basketball is a business. All those MSU fans helped us pay for the Arena, for Majerus, etc. If you want to be furious at someone, be furious at the students who didn't show up.

You should have seen the massive waiting line at the box office. That main lobby was swamped for almost the full hour before the game with MSU fans wanting tickets. Don't blame them for showing up or for wanting the "best available" seats. Men's basketball games are NOT general admission. Those MSU fans bought tickets to sit in that section. It's the same as if you go to the Cardinals game; the computer found the "best available" seats. That section, while during the semester is the student section, is open to the public when SLU is out of academic session. This isn't the first time that non-SLU students have sat there (though it's usually Billiken fans who do).

And, I'd like to think that if our team was 10-0 and we were going to play MSU, we'd have a bunch of SLU fans that would want to go and sit together. Again, it's that simple.

The offer was there for SLU students to buy the tickets for $5. When they didn't and a massive group of MSU students showed up, SLU had to sell them the tickets. It's that simple.There really is no reason to be mad at the athletic department. You have to remember, NCAA Basketball is a business. All those MSU fans helped us pay for the Arena, for Majerus, etc. If you want to be furious at someone, be furious at the students who didn't show up.

You should have seen the massive waiting line at the box office. That main lobby was swamped for almost the full hour before the game with MSU fans wanting tickets. Don't blame them for showing up or for wanting the "best available" seats. Men's basketball games are NOT general admission. Those MSU fans bought tickets to sit in that section. It's the same as if you go to the Cardinals game; the computer found the "best available" seats. That section, while during the semester is the student section, is open to the public when SLU is out of academic session. This isn't the first time that non-SLU students have sat there (though it's usually Billiken fans who do).

And, I'd like to think that if our team was 10-0 and we were going to play MSU, we'd have a bunch of SLU fans that would want to go and sit together. Again, it's that simple.

Dneuner, your wrong. These guys could have bought tickets anywhere else in the arena. SLU didn't have to make it easy for them by offering $10 tickets in the SLU STUDENT SECTION. If you don't understand how ridiculous that is, then you got problems buddy.

OK, Chris May. We know you, or someone who works for you, monitors this board. It's time to issue a public apology to the SLU community immediately. Part of that apology should be an assurance that you're going to call in your entire staff, including anyone who remotely touches game-day activities, and explain who they work for. That would be the fans who have supported this program through thick and thin, and are explicitly offended at what happened this evening. The planning of the "promotion" was clearly blown from the instant it was conceived, and no one in the chain of command realized what kind of disaster was being invited.

Nor did they fix the problem as soon as it became obvious, which was before the game even started. If you were at the game, you should have gathered every usher and security person in the place and politely informed the MSU fans that they were not allowed to sit in the SLU student section. Every member of your staff with any trace of authority should have initiated the same action. (I'd be interested to know what their tickets actually said. Did it say "admit one to the SLU student section," or simply "general admission"?) In any event -- if the University of North Carolina can eject a single heckler from Mousefart U. because it didn't like him sitting among the team's family members, Saint Louis University certainly could have admitted its mistake and offered the MSU fans the option of moving elsewhere in the arena or a refund for their ticket price.

And if you or any of your staff had anything to do with DeSmet Billiken's story about friends and family of the band, you need to apologize for that as well, to the band -- the most loyal and enthusiastic Billiken fans of all -- and to their friends and family, who were filling seats that, for all except maybe one game this year, were clearly NOT filled by students. Coupled with the band, those friends and family comprised the best cheering section in all of the Chaifetz.

Finally, you should apologize to Coach Majerus and the team. He may or may not have given you an earful already -- he's been very good about going out of his way to praise the fans in his home-game post-game interviews this year, but he also most likely reviewed tonight's films and UMKC scouting films immediately because of the next game in just three days. In any event, we had an understaffed team playing its heart out tonight, and the athletic department greatly diminished our home court advantage.

We have a first-class coach. We have a first-class facility. It's time for first-class support for every single aspect of the game-day experience.

-- Joe Bonwich

I have been an outspoken supporter of the AD and the University on virtually every issue, but after tonight, I have to agree 100% with Joe. He is spot on, especially with the part about apologizing to Majerus. Majerus goes out of his way to thank the crowd and the students for coming out to the game. EVERY post-game show he mentions this. This had to be a slap in the face to him (I just wonder if it was really "technical difficulties" that "prevented" him from being on the post-game show tonight...).

I understand and agree with dneuner to a point. The students are ultimately to blame, but that does NOT excuse the short-sighted decision of the AD to undertake a promotion to allow our student section to be over-run with MSU students. I just wonder how Willie, Brian, Christian, et al, felt when the looked up and saw the mass of maroon staring down at them and chanting "M S U" all night. Think about that for a second.

And, I GUARANTEE you, the small amount of money the school received for those MSU ticket purchases in the student section is totally irrelevant to helping us pay for the arena. Business is business, but good business is smart business and this was STUPID business.

The offer was there for SLU students to buy the tickets for $10. When they didn't and a massive group of MSU students showed up, SLU had to sell them the tickets. It's that simple. There really is no reason to be mad at the athletic department. You have to remember, NCAA Basketball is a business. All those MSU fans helped us pay for the Arena, for Majerus, etc. If you want to be furious at someone, be furious at the students who didn't show up.

With all due respect, neuner, you're a college kid. Your logic is way off. We have full right to be furious at the athletic department, first because they've illustrated questionable promotional judgment in the past; second, because they were living in some sort of alternative fantasy universe by thinking that lots of SLU students would show up tonight when there is absolutely zero precedent for this; and third because there were a good 2,000 or so other seats in the arena where the MSU students could have sat for the same $5 (which, in a final twist of the knife, was $20 less than the rest of us paid, even without our Billiken Club donations and, for at least one poster in this discussion, very significant per-seat surcharge.)

For some reason, blocks of MSU fans managed to be seated in the sections usually parceled out to the visiting team. To put it another way, computers don't program themselves. The athletic department controls the computer, and it controls the promotions, and it very easily could have controlled the outcome of where everyone sat tonight. (To wit: Everyone who sits in the student section must show a valid SLU student ID. If that has a problem keeping the riff-raff out, they must either show an ID or everyone with an ID can vouch for up to, say, three other people sitting in the section. Not to mention that we have testimony that the athletic department pitched our own fans from behind the band, so they certainly could have pitched MSU students from our own student section.)

Finally: "If, in the management's sole opinion, the holder's conduct endangers or disrupts the players, coaches, officials or other patrons, management reserves the right to remove the holder from the premises without refund." Sounds like a pretty ironclad criterion to me. And I wasn't even suggesting they be removed -- simply relocated to other seats within the arena.

Dneuner, your wrong. These guys could have bought tickets anywhere else in the arena. SLU didn't have to make it easy for them by offering $10 tickets in the SLU STUDENT SECTION. If you don't understand how ridiculous that is, then you got problems buddy.

After reading the deal again, I agree it was a mistake to put the student section up for sale. I didn't realize that was the case. I did notice there was another section up top that was empty and I wondered why the MSU fans weren't put there. However, I will say that I think a few people are getting overly worked up about it. It was a very emotional loss because there were a lot of MSU folks there. And I know its the principle but regardless of where you put them, they would have still been very loud.

I do want to commend both SLU and MSU fans for (on the most part) being cordial to each other. Maybe we can make this series into something bigger, since the real Missouri won't play us (yet).

When I saw the promotion it was obviously a ploy to get MSU fans to fill seats. Attendance has been OK, not great I don't begrudge the university from trying to sell tickets but allowing them to sit in the student section when we are playing a school where a large portion of their student population will be here is asinine.

This was bush league. A horrendous screwup. I unfortunately had to work tonight or I would have been there moving the MSU fans out. My 60 year old father called me at work (a 32 year season ticket holder) from the game and told me what was going on. He moved to the student section along with my mother from our seats in 114. He tells me he has been on the phone with fellow alumni and boosters for most of the night.

A telling comment from my father "All that we've done, Majerus, the arena and the program isn't run any better than it was during the 70s."

After reading the deal again, I agree it was a mistake to put the student section up for sale. I didn't realize that was the case. I did notice there was another section up top that was empty and I wondered why the MSU fans weren't put there. However, I will say that I think a few people are getting overly worked up about it. It was a very emotional loss because there were a lot of MSU folks there. And I know its the principle but regardless of where you put them, they would have still been very loud.

I do want to commend both SLU and MSU fans for (on the most part) being cordial to each other. Maybe we can make this series into something bigger, since the real Missouri won't play us (yet).

You are very level headed about this which is, honestly, admirable. One point though, and this is coming from an alumnus, I was fuming very early on, probably within the first 5 minutes of the game, so the loss had nothing to do with the emotion around the issue.

Now playing on the SLU Message board Jukebox "Cry Me A River" by Justin Timberlake... :rolleyes:

Now playing as the theme song to "lunatic314's" life, the banjo song from "Deliverance". I hope your parents lock your sister's bedroom door at night.

I am a SLU student living in St. Louis and a huge bills fan checking the blog 5 times a day at least but I could not attend because of a family christmas party that'd been planned for months. It killed me to not be there and especially listening on the radio and trying to figure out why there were audible chants against the bills. That being said it frustrates me to hear everything chalked up as student apathy.

My parents and my grandparents went to SLU and I just know how much the demographic has changed in the past years. Biondi has transformed the university from a more locally attended school to a much broader range of people that go here which is great. I am pretty sure my class is around 60% out of state, not counting the amount of people from the state who are not local. And yes there are a good amount of locals who live here and just didnt show up, but as in my circumstance and I know a couple of close friends who had weddings or other events preventing attendance it may not be student apathy. I believe completely that if it were not on break this would not happen. It is part of our school becoming a more nationally recognized school. I have friends from all over the US where as when my parents went here my understanding is that it was much more local. I can tell just from my year as a freshman compared to now students are only getting more and more excited about it and as we get better, the buzz will only pick up.

I won't reiterate too much but I think a lot of this is the administrations stupid idea for the student section. It was just dumb and I recorded the game and I had to turn it off midway through because it was disgusting to see willy get cheered against while shooting a freethrow.

I am also not trying to say that our students are perfect, just trying to bring up a new point about our student body. We have had great attendance for most every game during school so far and I think you will see a return to great student attendance when school starts back up. I think someone said earlier that SLU was 50% from st. louis but I think that statement is very flawed. I think that MSU has far and above more students from St. Louis than SLU was making the advertising mistake ever worse.

Just making a plee for the die hard alumni (like my grandpa, 35 year holder) to not lose all faith in the students because as a student I can tell you tonight was not all student apathy and in the near soon future these games (for sure during school) will always be packed with students.

Why would your admin allow any fan with a student ID to sit in your student section? That's a head scratcher...what did they expect to happen? MSU has 40% of their students from St. Louis, and they're on break, and the basketball team is unbeaten...of course they're going to come out.

I'm surprised to hear/read SLU has such a poor student section, but when MSU was struggling too much last year, I would walk up and get front row seats in the student section. Keep winning games and they'll come out in better numbers.

Because all they care about is making a couple of extra bucks.

The offer was there for SLU students to buy the tickets for $5. When they didn't and a massive group of MSU students showed up, SLU had to sell them the tickets. It's that simple. There really is no reason to be mad at the athletic department. You have to remember, NCAA Basketball is a business. All those MSU fans helped us pay for the Arena, for Majerus, etc. If you want to be furious at someone, be furious at the students who didn't show up.

First, I've been to Springfield for SLU games and you couldn't get the same number of SLU fans in the Hammonds Center, because they fill their building. Secondly, I'm glad to AD decided to sell off what little home court advantage we may have had by bringing in an extra couple of thousand bucks for their brilliant promotion. Third, I think you'd have made more if you didn't run the promotion and charged regular prices. MSU supports their team in St. Louis and always purchases hundreds of tickets.

I'm not one to complain and frequently defend the Athletic Department, but tonight take's the cake for stupidity and shows their greed.

I'm having lunch with CM and TK after the holidays and I promise to pass on everyone's frustration.

I am a SLU student living in St. Louis and a huge bills fan checking the blog 5 times a day at least but I could not attend because of a family christmas party that'd been planned for months. It killed me to not be there and especially listening on the radio and trying to figure out why there were audible chants against the bills. That being said it frustrates me to hear everything chalked up as student apathy.

My parents and my grandparents went to SLU and I just know how much the demographic has changed in the past years. Biondi has transformed the university from a more locally attended school to a much broader range of people that go here which is great. I am pretty sure my class is around 60% out of state, not counting the amount of people from the state who are not local. And yes there are a good amount of locals who live here and just didnt show up, but as in my circumstance and I know a couple of close friends who had weddings or other events preventing attendance it may not be student apathy. I believe completely that if it were not on break this would not happen. It is part of our school becoming a more nationally recognized school. I have friends from all over the US where as when my parents went here my understanding is that it was much more local. I can tell just from my year as a freshman compared to now students are only getting more and more excited about it and as we get better, the buzz will only pick up.

I won't reiterate too much but I think a lot of this is the administrations stupid idea for the student section. It was just dumb and I recorded the game and I had to turn it off midway through because it was disgusting to see willy get cheered against while shooting a freethrow.

I am also not trying to say that our students are perfect, just trying to bring up a new point about our student body. We have had great attendance for most every game during school so far and I think you will see a return to great student attendance when school starts back up. I think someone said earlier that SLU was 50% from st. louis but I think that statement is very flawed. I think that MSU has far and above more students from St. Louis than SLU was making the advertising mistake ever worse.

Just making a plee for the die hard alumni (like my grandpa, 35 year holder) to not lose all faith in the students because as a student I can tell you tonight was not all student apathy and in the near soon future these games (for sure during school) will always be packed with students.

Even Duke has problems filling their student section during breaks (granted they still fill it with Alum). I think we're still a few years off from having good student turnout during breaks. I think we've made GREAT strides with getting students to games this year though. We had the section 75% filled during finals week against a D-2 team. We're making progress, we're just not quite there yet.

I said it earlier, and I'll say it again. This is a big rivalry game. It needs to be scheduled DURING the semester, NOT during a BREAK. Students want to come out to this game, and would, if it during a time were the majority could come.

Too bad they were all MSU fans!!!

TOTALLY PATHETIC. It was SO BAD I took a picture of the "Blue Crew" student section which was packed to the gills with MSU students and a smattering of overwhelmed SLU students. If I was a member of the Blue Crew, I would be HUMILIATED by what happened in the student section tonight. Tonight, I was embarrassed to be a SLU alum. I took a picture of the student section, but I am not sure how to down load it. I wish I could just so people could see how bad it was.

Alumni Fan, a suggestion, let's take up a collection on this board, I'll donate $20, to have that picture of yours turned into flyers and some posters. Go to the AD and make sure the flyers are passed out in classes when we return. Put the posters up all over the place, Dorms, classrooms, union, etc. Underneath the picture have the caption, "SHAMEFUL, PITIFUL, EMBARASSING." or a catchy phrase that will hopefully get under our students skins and make them go to games. Someone said, it's just like the 70s and it sounds like it is. Back then there were a lot more St. Louis kids at SLU than now. The locals would hardly ever go to a game unless it was a biggie, and even then not that many. They were either working, hanging out with their HS buds or girlfriends, or whatever. If you can't get the local students fired up about Billiken basketball the student section will always be half full. Someone in the AD has to go to work on this problem. Obviously a lot of W's will help, but until then SLU has to do some self promoting. Gorilla marketing if you will. I watched the Butler - X game on tv and that is the atmosphere we've got to duplicate with our kids. I go to a few College of Charleston games every year and they always get a good student turnout. It is shameful why our kids can't come out and support their school. It seems like a lot MoSt people either travelled from Springfield or a lot of their St. L kids found the time to support the Bears... why can't SLU kids do it as well?

From Tom T's Blog post game:

The attendance was 8,483, the second biggest crowd of the season. It would have been higher if school was in session and SLU’s students had showed up. Apparently you don’t have to be a SLU student to sit in the student section. Any student can sit there, as evidenced by the fact that about half the people in the student section were wearing Missouri State colors, and their cheers certainly drowned out SLU’s. Now, I’m no expert on running an arena, but this seems like a bad idea.

And from the Springfield News Leader game article:

As the final seconds ticked down, about 80 MSU students who dominated the SLU student-seating section chanted "undefeated" over and over.

Come on Athletic Dept, your even getting blasted by the media on this and not just the fans.

-- Joe Bonwich

GREAT POST!

Talk like this will get you all banned by a guy who never even went to SLU.

He's been a bigger fan than you, much longer than you. What do you do to stand out as a fan? Steve started this board and puts in his time to run it for us.

So, understand that taking a shot at Steve, even a little one won't be tolerated. Afterall without that guy who never went to SLU, you don't have this board to excercise your right to be an idiot.

The SLU athletic administration is so bad in so many ways. It has been amateur hour for over a decade. If we are going to spend over a million dollars a year on the coaching staff, perhaps we should blow up the entire administration and start over as well.

Dneuner. With all due respect and without questioning your loyalty and good intentions, you still don't understand or "get it." Alumni and Bonwich are right on and you are still wrong. Count me in their category of having watched and supported this team for years. I go back 30 years and they go back even further. Still, we have sure seen ALOT -- TOO MUCH -- "very emotional losses" over the years and last night, IMO, was worse than anyone of them. Had KM been healthy, we would have won. W/o KM, I knew we would lose but I did hold out hope that we could squeak by. Without any JRs or SRs, w/o other injuries and short bench and with our questionable/weak guard play, I truly did not think we would win. The loss does not affect me. The embarrasment does.

Emotional losses are one thing. Being embarassed due to another example of an incompetent athletic department is another. Doug Woolard was an absolute joke. He alienated so many supporters that the Chaveitz project completely stalled under his "leadership." Cheryl Levick turned things around, got the donations flowing again, got the building built but must have offended some -- including Chaveitz -- for the reason that Chaveitz and Novelly did not want to even include her in the discussions. Still waiting to hear the real story behind the story. Temporary Mark Wright continued to offend, designed a very questionable ticket/point system and never did understand the SLU fan/supporter. Good riddens. Now, RM got his "yes man" in Chris May who has done absolutely NOTHING. I have been told to be patient, to wait b/c May works behind the scenes.... Frankly, I still see nothing but incompetence. I am still waiting for someone to clean house with the athletic department but still nothing. Chris May, you are an absolute joke as well. Bonwich is correct. A public recognition and apology is necessary and I, for one, am waiting.

We need an athletic director to ensure that we are not relegated to a new conference even worse than the A10 and this guy cannot even keep the MSU students out of our student section. Mr. May, I have no confidence in you sir. BTW, the White House secret service now has openings and you appear to have the proper credentials!!

Emotional loss??? Dneuner, because of your youth and inexperience, you just don't understand.

That's utter and complete bull****. Sorry, but it is.

Really? What part about that is bull****?

We have a nationally ranked volleyball team.. how often was the arena packed? Penn State?

We have a nationally ranked soccer team? Except for Legion 1818 there was never anyone there.

We have a brand new arena and the only way it gets filled is if we offer free pizza.

Where was I wrong?