Mo St by 2 over the Bills

The Wiz

With KM...so if we lose by more than 2 you can figure the KM factor.

Vegas has us at a Pick-em right now. I figured we'd be favored by 4 or so in Vegas with KM so that seems about right to me. Maybe I'd favor MSU by a point or two at this point.

In my opinion, the computers still don't have enough data at this point to accurately predict these games.

Vegas has us at a Pick-em right now. I figured we'd be favored by 4 or so in Vegas with KM so that seems about right to me. Maybe I'd favor MSU by a point or two at this point.

In my opinion, the computers still don't have enough data at this point to accurately predict these games.

MSU was a 2 point favorite in your place before KM went down.

This argument comes up everytime. Vegas is placing the line at a place to even out the betting that is true but there is also one team favored over the other SMS at -2 means they are favored by two. Lines are based on some secret statistical analysis/vodoo. If the Colts are favored by -14 v. the Rams that means they think the Colts will win and it will be around 14 points so this makes it equally desirable to place money on each side of the line. So one can surmise which team is the favorite based on these Vegas numbers which are usually very good.

This argument comes up everytime. Vegas is placing the line at a place to even out the betting that is true but there is also one team favored over the other SMS at -2 means they are favored by two. Lines are based on some secret statistical analysis/vodoo. If the Colts are favored by -14 v. the Rams that means they think the Colts will win and it will be around 14 points so this makes it equally desirable to place money on each side of the line. So one can surmise which team is the favorite based on these Vegas numbers which are usually very good.

Sure. They have to have a starting place, but the line is not designed to pick winners, and based on your post, I think you know that.

In reality, when it comes to regional colege basketball like this game, Vegas isn't that great.

Heck, they aren't even that good at the Super Bowl, let alone games like this. You can make a lot of money in non-BCS college basketball.

Sure. They have to have a starting place, but the line is not designed to pick winners, and based on your post, I think you know that.

In reality, when it comes to regional colege basketball like this game, Vegas isn't that great.

Heck, they aren't even that good at the Super Bowl, let alone games like this. You can make a lot of money in non-BCS college basketball.

Whatever dude. So when TCU was favored by -44 1/2 over UNM a few weeks ago Vegas was not picking TCU to be the winner at all.

Head on out to Vegas and try to make a lot of money in non-BCS basketball and let us know how that goes.

Whatever dude. So when TCU was favored by -44 1/2 over UNM a few weeks ago Vegas was not picking TCU to be the winner at all.

Head on out to Vegas and try to make a lot of money in non-BCS basketball and let us know how that goes.

I'm noticing I'm not very welcomed here...of course they're thinking they're going to win, but that's still not the point of a line. The point is to have 50/50 betting if possible, that's why lines move.

I don't gamble my friend...

I'm noticing I'm not very welcomed here...of course they're thinking they're going to win, but that's still not the point of a line. The point is to have 50/50 betting if possible, that's why lines move.

I don't gamble my friend...

Your fine in my book but I agree with Abomb on this issue. There are lots of ways people can think about who is truly favored to win a game and by how much:

1) trust some computer program based on about 10 games of data. MSU is a 2 point favorite in that method before adjusting for the KM injury.

2) trust the "Vegas method" which is based on as you say trying to get a 50/50 betting pattern. It therefore stands to reason that if half the people in the world think after the KM injury that MSU is a 1 point favorite than that is a pretty good guess of who will win the game and by how much.

3) Understand that Vegas is not unwilling to take a bet if they think the odds are in their favor. The people in Vegas are pretty smart and if they aren't afraid to marginally tweak a line to encourage more betting on one side if they think that side will lose.

Fact is, even after the KM injury, Vegas thinks more of the Bills chances than the computer does. I tend to believe Vegas more on this one and think I'll be hi-fiving my way out of the Chaifetz around 9:10 tonight.