Iowa State Post Game Thread

SluSignGuy

Since the game thread has devolved a little bit into smack talk, lets talk about the game a bit here.

While we lost by 11, we will not go 1-16 from three every night. And given that this was the first "road" contest for the Billikids, we seemed to do alright (especially with KM struggling so much). This year is going to have ups and downs, but I remain encouraged.

one huge thing that has come out of the game is that the Billykid kept fighting to the end ,they could have dropped their heads and got blown away by 30+ , especially the way the second half started , but to their credit they stuck in there and gave it all ,thats something you cannot coach , You add in the variables ,young team . first road trip for the freshman and being so young as a team and shooting being astray , i think there is a lot of good to come out of it and a great learning curve for this team ,

Best thing would be to re group and come out with a win in the next game ,Conference games are the ones we want to do extremely well in and some of the tougher ones are on the road

Well don to the Billykids

This post from tourist got buried in the game thread amongst the smack talk. I think it is a great observation and I'm encouraged by the fight our guys showed as well. My main worry for the next game is that we may be pretty gassed after this game.

This post from tourist got buried in the game thread amongst the smack talk. I think it is a great observation and I'm encouraged by the fight our guys showed as well. My main worry for the next game is that we may be pretty gassed after this game.

My wish was to win one game up in Chicago. We can still do this and hit Georgia hard to make this a true learning experience.

mhg

Another positive from the game IMO was the play of Remekun when he was in there spelling Conklin or Reed. Based on what Rammer and Earl were saying he played with a lot of moxy.

I was really shocked at this. I am accustomed to listening to games and when a player came off the bench in the past there always seemed to be a drop off in quality of play.

Yeah, we can't hang our heads on this one. Remember, Andy Katz said ISU's going to be the surprise team in the Big 12 and Brackins would have been a first rounder last year. They had size, experience, and athleticism. We have some sixe, athleticism, and little experience. As for KM having a bad game, hey, who doesn't? I'm kind of hoping we get NW tomorow. Better chance of winning. It's almost DEC and no word on CE, I'm getting nervous.... very nervous. If he's as good as advertised we could make some noise in the A-10 this year.

I probably should put all these thought in the same post, but I'm just posting them as they come to me.

Looked at the box score and noticed that Jon Smith did not play tonight. He must really be in Rick's doghouse after the last game. Rick's quotes about him from Timmerman's blog were pretty rough. However, against big athletic teams we'll need Smith. Hopefully he can bounce back and show Rick why he deserves some minutes.

Northwestern up by 3 over ND at the half. I was sort of assuming that ND would win. I think SLU has a better chance of beating Northwestern, but a win over ND would look better and be more fun. Not sure who I want to win. Hopefully this game goes into like 5 OTs so that all the players are totally dead afterward. Then tomorrow we mop the floor with the worn out loser.

Good game tonight from a Cyclone fan. Overall I thought a sloppy game. You guys have a good ball club and will make noise in the future.

Watchin the ND-NW game right now.. Going for NW for the fact the game will be on tv for us if so. (Big 10 Network)

Couldnt handle trying to find a gametracker for a half hour and finally finding online audio during the 2nd half.

Good game tonight from a Cyclone fan. Overall I thought a sloppy game. You guys have a good ball club and will make noise in the future.

Watchin the ND-NW game right now.. Going for NW for the fact the game will be on tv for us if so. (Big 10 Network)

Couldnt handle trying to find a gametracker for a half hour and finally finding online audio during the 2nd half.

thats why I am rooting for Notre Dame, I want to play on TV

Despite the SLU loss, it has been a pretty solid night for the A-10. Xavier knocked off Creighton. Richmond eked one out by one point over Mississippi State. Right now Temple leads Virginia Tech by 4 with 12:30 left. UMass lost to Rutgers, but UMass won't win many this year. The Bonnies vs SEMO is just starting.

If Temple can hold on, going 2-2 against BCS teams and getting a win perennial MVC leader Creighton is a good night for the a-10.

Looks like Iowa State won the TV sweepstakes.

Good luck against Notre Dame tomorrow night! I would really hate to play them, I don't think they played well tonight and they'll probably be playing determined tomorrow. Best of luck again though.

ND beat our common foe Kennesaw State by 18 at home and Chicago will be a home venue compared to SLU

found this on their BLAck & Green board

Posted by BlackandGreen at 7:10 AM 1 comments

Labels: Thanksgiving

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 25, 2009

What We Have Learned

Five games into the year, we are starting to figure out a few things about this team.

Jonathan Peoples is not a starting small forward. He is not big enough to defend taller forwards and not quick enough to play against other Big East guards consistently. His ballhandling skills and decision making have been called into question as well. Not a bad choice as a backup point guard for 15 minutes a game, but definitely not starter-quality, especially out of position.

Tim Abromaitis is the real deal. The redshirt junior should be starting at small forward right now and may take that spot very soon. He is a pretty talented three point shooter, but also demonstrates an athleticism and court sense that make him a much more complete player than Ryan Ayers was a year ago. He has been pegged into the power forward position a bit as Ty Nash struggles, but is much more suited for the 3.

Luke Harangody is the real deal. Of course he is. Even though a tendency to stick to the perimeter has proven frustrating so far, we need to take a step back and just enjoy this guy. He will finish his career as one of the top three or four players to ever attend Our Lady's University. This is pretty cool to watch.

The team has a lot of upside, but will ultimately be judged by how the inexperienced players grow into their roles. We know Harangody and Tory Jackson. Ben Hansbrough is starting to look like a great replacement for Kyle McAlarney, but the other two positions are up in the air. Can Abro be a 30 minute-per-game guy and average 15 points? Is Carleton Scott able to focus on defense and rebounding and be a stat sheet filler the way Zach Hillesland used to be (before his senior year)? Will a guy like Joey Brooks be able to crack the lineup to give the starters more rest and provide an extra focus on defense? Those three players (Abro, Scott, and Brooks) hold the keys to success this year.

Good luck against Notre Dame tomorrow night! I would really hate to play them, I don't think they played well tonight and they'll probably be playing determined tomorrow. Best of luck again though.

A good pint, but I think the Bills will as well

Good game SLU! It was a rather sloppy game for both teams. And the officiating seemed to be a little "off" for both teams at times.

Your team was more athletic than I originally thought. You will definitely have a great team in the near future!

Good luck against ND and the rest of your games!