OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not entirely what competition they are referring to from a bar perspective. There aren't really any new entries in the immediate campus area that would seem to cut away from business. Unless the new ownership is just looking at recent years and the numbers don't look good. 

29 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I'm not entirely what competition they are referring to from a bar perspective. There aren't really any new entries in the immediate campus area that would seem to cut away from business. Unless the new ownership is just looking at recent years and the numbers don't look good. 

I'm skeptical that rebuilding as a bar was ever part of the plan....

11 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think this is probably the case.  Sadly, it appears the guy who bought it just to hold on to the land until someone offers him much more than he paid for it.

28 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think this is probably the case.  Sadly, it appears the guy who bought it just to hold on to the land until someone offers him much more than he paid for it.

[cough, cough] The Fifth House [cough, cough]. So we can expect rehab in about 2050.

Noticed something odd over the last week. On Friday, I took this picture of a sign posted on the exterior of Humps. The sign is now gone. I think the theory that there will be no second coming is looking more and more accurate

20170118_144343.jpg

Edit: I'm not sure why the picture is sideways, it was fine on my phone but formatted to this once uploaded.

On 1/20/2017 at 10:11 PM, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah, it would be hard to argue with you. A real shame for us alums. I am now pretty far removed from being a student at SLU or even being a recent alum (no longer even a BOLD), so for those who are, where do the current students primarily hang out? I have to imagine Uber has opened up a lot of bar options around the city.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, it would be hard to argue with you. A real shame for us alums. I am now pretty far removed from being a student at SLU or even being a recent alum (no longer even a BOLD), so for those who are, where do the current students primarily hang out? I have to imagine Uber has opened up a lot of bar options around the city.

Soulard primarily. Wash Ave, ballpark village are also options. Near campus the Library Annex is about it. There's a bar in the basement of Coronado and I suppose the Moolah, but the first two sentences are the main things. 

4 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Central West end, wheelhouse downtown, soulard, BPV

11 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

You guessed wrong. It's the guy who bought the place that is selling the items. 

The employees were aware that items were being taken down and sold upon closing. Figured they'd get info like that from the owners. It seems like an owner's gaff either way, i.e., I doubt the memorabilia would have been a deal breaker for the buyer if they cared so much about it 

On 1/24/2017 at 8:08 AM, majerus mojo said:

The employees were aware that items were being taken down and sold upon closing. Figured they'd get info like that from the owners. It seems like an owner's gaff either way, i.e., I doubt the memorabilia would have been a deal breaker for the buyer if they cared so much about it 

I had the high bid on a couple items only to have the auctions canceled. I guess because somebody walked in off the street and made a big offer? F these guys indeed.

47 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

I had the high bid on a couple items only to have the auctions canceled. I guess because somebody walked in off the street and made a big offer? F these guys indeed.

There was an item I was following (never bid) that the auction was ending on Saturday night. I specifically recall seeing that the auction had less than 5 minutes left. I saw that it was back on the auction block last night under a different seller name. Had me curious what the deal was there.

The whole thing makes me think the new buyer is really shady.

On 1/24/2017 at 8:08 AM, majerus mojo said:

It's possible that they indicated some would be sold but things like the Humphrey's stained glass would be a centerpiece of Humphrey's part two. instead they are being sold 

Sorry if wrong thread... but what is the real reason why the MLS has said that soccer will only come to St. Louis with the stadium by Union Station (public funding required) versus what appears to me to be the better stadium by SLU (no public funding required).  We just have Dave Peacock and Mayor Slay to thank for this?

28 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Sorry if wrong thread... but what is the real reason why the MLS has said that soccer will only come to St. Louis with the stadium by Union Station (public funding required) versus what appears to me to be the better stadium by SLU (no public funding required).  We just have Dave Peacock and Mayor Slay to thank for this?

Are you asking why they cant use hermann?