OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

Westport was a huge hit in the early 2000's for the younger crowd. Thats where all my siblings would go out for the night. 

And even bigger in the early '80s. West Port is in the midst of an utter freaking explosion thanks to the SLU grad who recently moved the headquarters of his multibillion-dollar business into the Plaza proper from about a mile away. I'm betting it gets even more popular than the peak time when Casa Gallardo had a 1.5 hour wait on weekends, there were about 50% more shops and restaurants, and multiple entertainment venues (West Port Cine, West Port Playhouse and the comedy club) all packed 'em in consistently. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, bonwich said:

And even bigger in the early '80s. West Port is in the midst of an utter freaking explosion thanks to the SLU grad who recently moved the headquarters of his multibillion-dollar business into the Plaza proper from about a mile away. I'm betting it gets even more popular than the peak time when Casa Gallardo had a 1.5 hour wait on weekends, there were about 50% more shops and restaurants, and multiple entertainment venues (West Port Cine, West Port Playhouse and the comedy club) all packed 'em in consistently. 

Joe. Are you referring to Aclara?  What is the name and year of the SLU grad?

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

As an employee I can tell you that the building is awesome and that Westport has gotten a lot busier just in the last month that we've been moved in

I should add that I'm at WWT fairly regularly, usually meeting with groups of three or more. I don't recall a meeting where there wasn't at least one SLU grad in the room, and usually there are several. 

16 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

You think St. Louis is a good restaurant city?

Is it New York, New Orleans or San Diego (imo the most underrated food city)? No, but it is much better than it gets credit for.  It isn't the place to be if you want the trendy stuff, but the trendy stuff is always over rated. People pay more attention to the trendiness than the actual quality.  Presentation has gained way too much importance compared to the how good a meal actually taste and the overall service that accompanies the meal.

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Is it New York, New Orleans or San Diego (imo the most underrated food city)? No, but it is much better than it gets credit for.  It isn't the place to be if you want the trendy stuff, but the trendy stuff is always over rated. People pay more attention to the trendiness than the actual quality.  Presentation has gained way too much importance compared to the how good a meal actually taste and the overall service that accompanies the meal.

I'm curious.. where to in SD? 

53 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I'm curious.. where to in SD? 

Last time I was there Blue Water Boathouse in Coronado and Point Loma Seafood were outstanding.

There is a place right between the Hard Rock hotel and the convention center called Pacific Beach Fish Shop that is really good.  Really casual and a great beer selection.  You pick your fish, how you want it prepared and how you want served.  I really enjoyed this place.  I went to a couple of Mexican places downtown that were really good, but i can't remember their names right now.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Too many places and people are worried about how a meal looks on instagram.

I think that could be said for a lot of places in STL. I don't think there are enough places in STL that just put out consistently good food, but I am also married to a foodie so maybe I have become a harsher critic.

9 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I think that could be said for a lot of places in STL. I don't think there are enough places in STL that just put out consistently good food, but I am also married to a foodie so maybe I have become a harsher critic.

The instagram thing is huge problem with many of the new places that open up in St Louis 

St Louis does really suck when it comes to seafood. Because of our location we are never going to be an outstanding seafood town, but we should be able to do better than what we got.  The places that are supposed to be great are just good.  For consistency reasons you're better off going the national route and hitting up Bristol's.

That said, Broadway Oyster Bar is really good at what it is.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Last time I was there Blue Water Boathouse in Coronado and Point Loma Seafood were outstanding.

There is a place right between the Hard Rock hotel and the convention center called Pacific Beach Fish Shop that is really good.  Really casual and a great beer selection.  You pick your fish, how you want it prepared and how you want served.  I really enjoyed this place.  I went to a couple of Mexican places downtown that were really good, but i can't remember their names right now.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I've heard Juniper & Ivy is really good, Richard Blase is the chef.

Awesome, much appreciated 

3 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Stl is a good restaurant city. Multiple James Beard award winners. Outkicking its coverage for sure 

Two. Four if you count me and fellow SLU grad (and U News vet) Jeannette Batz, but I didn't exactly win it for my cooking. (Well, maybe, but...)

Anyway, that's not the best yardstick. One of those winners and I had a spirited discussion in my food writing class as to what that award really means. But in terms of quality of cooking, breadth of choices, chefs' community, national visibility and other fairly intangible measures (weighted for size of metro area), we hold our own. 

I'll take St. Louis over all but a few.  As far as an inland city we are second to Chicago.  At least in my travels.

I took my honeymoon in New Orleans for a week and half.  Made a point to go to 20 of their best restaurants.   4 or 5 were outstanding, but below that top tier IMHO St Louis puts them to shame.

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

I took my honeymoon in New Orleans for a week and half.  Made a point to go to 20 of their best restaurants.   4 or 5 were outstanding, but below that top tier IMHO St Louis puts them to shame.

Wow, hot take. Not sure many people will support you on that one.