OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

Just now, billiken_roy said:

why dont you buy it and run it?

Let's do this! The members of billikens.com make sure that the only remaining bar from our time at SLU remains intact! We should do this like they do the fund a need at charity auctions. Anyone willing to contribute at the $1 million level?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

Let's do this! The members of billikens.com make sure that the only remaining bar from our time at SLU remains intact! We should do this like they do the fund a need at charity auctions. Anyone willing to contribute at the $1 million level?

I'll cover annual taxes.

the point is the guy can do whatever he wants he paid the price.   sure we are all sentimental about one of our college dive bars we all frequented.  and sad that it appears the guy didnt want to run a bar he just wants to make a profit flipping the property.  happens all the time in real estate.  places and  times change and we move on.   you dont see any of us oldsters upset about no clarks or bogarts for example.   

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the point is the guy can do whatever he wants he paid the price.   sure we are all sentimental about one of our college dive bars we all frequented.  and sad that it appears the guy didnt want to run a bar he just wants to make a profit flipping the property.  happens all the time in real estate.  places and  times change and we move on.   you dont see any of us oldsters upset about no clarks or bogarts for example.   

Candidly, I am quite pissed about the Humphrey's situation and if I just had a little bit more money (right around $1,595,000 more) I would buy the place for those very reasons. Shouldn't all college towns have one institution that withstands the test of time? Where a 35 year old alum can drink next to a 21 year old coed and not feel incredibly awkward until said 35 year old starts talking? Lets make this happen billikens.com. S-A-I-N-T L-O-U-I-S! I am going to the festivities this weekend at the arch and then some party at 360, but it sucks we can't return to the old stomping grounds afterwards.

We only need 300 large for a downpayment. Get some banker on here to finance the rest. Then have a plan to cover the debt service of way too much a month. 

If we could get that bag of cash back from Tillmon, we'd only need about 35k. 

44 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Wheelhouse has been struggling a little from my understanding. Tin Roof has that nice shiny new toy thing going on. I am a big fan of Start Bar classic arcade game bar, which is owned by the same people as Wheelhouse. It's not in Midtown but Westport Social is having a massive first 3 weeks in business and is really popular right now with the young professionals that work in the area. I read an article somewhere that they are adding one or two more bars to the area. If they are as good as Social I think the Plaza could really challenge for the young professional crowd to the east and into St. Charles and compete with Streets of St. Charles/Main

Westport was a huge hit in the early 2000's for the younger crowd. Thats where all my siblings would go out for the night. 

honestly humphreys in my day wasnt my slu bar of choice.   would have been maybe my 3rd or 4th stop.   definitely would have went to clarks and bogarts first.   

NextYearBill likes this

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

That's not true at all. Every SLU alum I talked to in my years was like, "Is [closed bar] still around? That place was the best!" or "Campus may be nicer now, but you guys don't have [closed bar], which is a shame because they'd serve anyone and pitchers were a nickel seven nights a week!"

Sure, the new owner can do whatever he wants but we're also at liberty to call the guy out for buying our favorite campus bar, closing it down, auctioning memorabilia online, and failing to follow through on the plans he made public.

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The guy paid $1.3 and some change for it a little over a year ago.  I thought he would be looking to cash out at even a higher amount.

Want to know part of the reason why the City is broke and the City schools can't function properly.?  The property tax on the building and the lot is $2,300.  That is, also, a rate that can allow a speculator to sit on it for a very long time.

Brian, this actually isn't correct.  I took a look because I couldn't believe it.  For whatever reason, the property has been subdivided into 11 separate parcels, all with individual assessments and taxes owed.  The $2,300 is only for one of the improved parcels and the actual tax figure for the entire property is probably closer to 10 times this.  

That said, the city does have issues with how it assesses property and some fixes are needed. 

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That's not true at all. Every SLU alum I talked to in my years was like, "Is [closed bar] still around? That place was the best!" or "Campus may be nicer now, but you guys don't have [closed bar], which is a shame because they'd serve anyone and pitchers were a nickel seven nights a week!"

Sure, the new owner can do whatever he wants but we're also at liberty to call the guy out for buying our favorite campus bar, closing it down, auctioning memorabilia online, and failing to follow through on the plans he made public.

Exactly. Sure things change, but from what I see at most college campuses, a few establishments withstand the test of time and keep that link to the good old days for alums. I don't have that anymore, so before or after a game I won't be going to a SLU bar and that is sad to me.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, but, the young'ins! 

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

giphy.gif

Yeah, there's no rush to sell the place. The city has to "correct" tax rates ASAP.

I wanted to see how long the guy might be willing to just sit on the property.  So I looked it up and my jaw dropped.  It is just crazy.  

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/data/address-search/index.cfm?addr=3700 LACLEDE AV&stname=LACLEDE&stnum=3700&parcelId=39190302300&CategoryBy=form.start,form.RealEstatePropertyInfor,form.BoundaryGeography,form.TrashMaintenance&firstview=true

2 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Brian, this actually isn't correct.  I took a look because I couldn't believe it.  For whatever reason, the property has been subdivided into 11 separate parcels, all with individual assessments and taxes owed.  The $2,300 is only for one of the improved parcels and the actual tax figure is probably closer to 10 times this.  

That said, the city does have issues with how it assesses property and some fixes are needed. 

Buzz off, we like Brian's answer better!

SShoe likes this

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

honestly humphreys in my day wasnt my slu bar of choice.   would have been maybe my 3rd or 4th stop.   definitely would have went to clarks and bogarts first.   

Frankly, I don't believe you. 

While I agree with you on the idea that anyone can buy something and do whatever they please, I also agree with Pistol, 05, and the such that we can be angry about it. 

I also disagree with you on the idea that the old guys don't reminisce or miss their old bars. This board is littered with posts about the bars of the past and how great they were. 

5 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Brian, this actually isn't correct.  I took a look because I couldn't believe it.  For whatever reason, the property has been subdivided into 11 separate parcels, all with individual assessments and taxes owed.  The $2,300 is only for one of the improved parcels and the actual tax figure for the entire property is probably closer to 10 times this.  

You are correct.  Thank you for catching this.

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I also disagree with you on the idea that the old guys don't reminisce or miss their old bars. This board is littered with posts about the bars of the past and how great they were. 

Hearing some of the posters who were at SLU before my time post about the bars they frequented during their time at SLU was one of my favorite discussions on the board, really fun history lesson for me.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You are correct.  Thank you for catching this.

No problem.  Your overall point was right on though.  I'm sure we could have a very long conversation about how the city's assessment practices are all over the map.  

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

Hearing some of the posters who were at SLU before my time post about the bars they frequented during their time at SLU was one of my favorite discussions on the board, really fun history lesson for me.

Absolutely agree. There was this post from a guy that was really interesting. There was also some good posts back when Lacledes closed as Lacledes for the first time. 

16 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Ahhhhhh, that's better.