Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, slubilliken09 said:

Update on the Humphrey's project.

Id love to see that happen anywhere else but.  I love the old worn in look. Seems that every good college town or area has one. 

32 minutes ago, slubilliken09 said:

-ambitious plan, hope it works for them, the city granting the parking variance seems like a no-brainer so.....

-I will miss the 'charm' of the current establishment

Why in the world does the Post Dispatch think this paragraph at the bottom of the article is at all worth mentioning:

Humphrey's was in the news years ago after one law student bit another law student on the buttocks while both were at the bar on Sept. 16, 1987. Three years later, a St. Louis jury awarded Maia Brodie $27,500 in damages in her suit against Charles A. ''Chep'' Hurth III. Jurors awarded Brodie $2,500 in actual damages and $25,000 in punitive damages.

12 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Why in the world does the Post Dispatch think this paragraph at the bottom of the article is at all worth mentioning:

Humphrey's was in the news years ago after one law student bit another law student on the buttocks while both were at the bar on Sept. 16, 1987. Three years later, a St. Louis jury awarded Maia Brodie $27,500 in damages in her suit against Charles A. ''Chep'' Hurth III. Jurors awarded Brodie $2,500 in actual damages and $25,000 in punitive damages.

Yeah, that part made no sense to me. I can't believe that a copy editor let that through to publishing. Completely irrelevant.

17 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Tittilating

24 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Yeah, that part made no sense to me. I can't believe that a copy editor let that through to publishing. Completely irrelevant.

Judging from Derrick Goold's habitually horrific spelling and grammar, copy editors are ancient history at the P-D.

On 9/2/2016 at 11:53 AM, billikenfan05 said:

SLU is in a bit of a financial pickle from what I understand. I don't know all the details but from what I've heard I don't think the money is set to last very long if they don't make some serious changes.

billikenfan05, hate to say this but everyone (as in Universities) is more or less in some degree of a pickle nowadays. One portion of this pickle is the erratic behavior of the market coupled with the minimal interest return from bonds and treasuries which feed the endowments. The other portion is the ever increasing need for financial aid, research projects, buildings, personnel, regulation related expenses, athletic expenses, etc... this list is not exhaustive. It is not easy to try to balance the whole mess, as a matter of fact it requires real ability and a very competent staff to do so. I think SLU does very well compared to some other places.   

12 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I take it that once Avis Meyer retired from there, they didn't bring in someone to try to replace him?

Avis was only part-time. There used to be a substantial "copy desk," but in general, especially for stuff that goes directly online, it's possible for a reporter to write something, edit it themselves, slap on a headline and let it fly. 

(It also appears to me that the average age in the newsroom is now hovering south of 30.) 

I had never heard the butt biting story, but still found no reason to include a weird case from 1987 as the last paragraph in an unrelated story about the place. Hell, I've got plenty of stories about the place that are probably as weird and also have nothing to do with tearing down and reconstructing the bar. I'm sure we all do.

It's sad, though, to see that era come to an end. Every campus should have its own old bar with all the grit, charm, and character that Humphrey's has. It'll be missed.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I had never heard the butt biting story, but still found no reason to include a weird case from 1987 as the last paragraph in an unrelated story about the place. Hell, I've got plenty of stories about the place that are probably as weird and also have nothing to do with tearing down and reconstructing the bar. I'm sure we all do.

It's sad, though, to see that era come to an end. Every campus should have its own old bar with all the grit, charm, and character that Humphrey's has. It'll be missed.

Long live J&A's!

OK, for grins, and because I have a newly minted SLU grad in my office, I looked up who owns The Fifth House building. Some dude named Sam Frisella, who of course lives way the hell out in O'Fallon, and his family. Anybody know anything about him? (He isn't, by the way, the original owner from when The Fifth House was incorporated in 1972.)

10 minutes ago, bonwich said:

OK, for grins, and because I have a newly minted SLU grad in my office, I looked up who owns The Fifth House building. Some dude named Sam Frisella, who of course lives way the hell out in O'Fallon, and his family. Anybody know anything about him? (He isn't, by the way, the original owner from when The Fifth House was incorporated in 1972.)

I can fill you in on the details next time we chat.  Mrs. And Won was involved in some legal wrangling regarding that property.

9 minutes ago, bonwich said:

Looks like he is a SLU grad and actually had an ownership stake in The Fifth House.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fgroups%2FVintage.stl%2Fpermalink%2F1206127402743915%2F&width=500" width="500" height="702" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

https://www.facebook.com/sam.frisella.1

On 9/8/2016 at 4:49 PM, kshoe said:

I remember this incident although I never set foot in the place. It got publicized because the short-lived St. Louis Sun newspaper ran a headline that said: "He Bit Hers So She Sued His". Lawyers are just a barrel of laughs. And yeah, not sure why the Post felt the need to mention it, but whatever.

12 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I remember this incident although I never set foot in the place. It got publicized because the short-lived St. Louis Sun newspaper ran a headline that said: "He Bit Hers So She Sued His". Lawyers are just a barrel of laughs. And yeah, not sure why the Post felt the need to mention it, but whatever.

I have a pretty strong speculation as to why it was added. Editor probably said, "Add some past news or color about Humphreys." I just scanned the archives. There isn't any. The only real news stories, unless you go all the way back, so to speak, to the butt-biter, deal with the evolving neighborhood. 

BTW, the P-D headline writers must have been instructed back then to compete with the Sun. The P-D head was "Bottom Line: 
Biter To Pay $27,500." :)