OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

It was abrupt.

Strategically, it was announced the day that students could no longer withdraw and get their tuition back.

Sure, if your Daddy knew a good lawyer, they would, then, assist with the transfer, yes.

If not, then "good luck", it was not like today with social media and press, many didn't challenge it and just moved on and that was that.

IMO, it made no sense to close The School of Engineering at that time.

I won't argue that it was abrupt. However, SLU did provide a good bit of financial assistance to the students affected to attend another school.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't argue that it was abrupt. However, SLU did provide a good bit of financial assistance to the students affected to attend another school.

It is ancient history but I knew a lot of these individuals personally and those that had business and / or legally savvy parents and resources that pressed hard got a lot more than the ones who just accepted it. It was a different world back then. I have more details but not going there.

It is ancient history but I knew a lot of these individuals personally and those that had business and / or legally savvy parents and resources that pressed hard got a lot more than the ones who just accepted it. It was a different world back then. I have more details but not going there.

Maybe some got more than others, I don't know about that. I do know that my brother-in-law was satisfied with the support SLU offered and he was in no way connected to "legally savvy" parents or relatives.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

-did i miss in the announcement where on the Frost campus the halls will be built?

I didn't catch that either. One of the sentences made me think that they have yet to actually speak with the contractors beyond simply agreeing to work together. I would guess that Porterfield and the administration have an idea of where they will put them, but need to talk more with the contractors before making an official announcement.

I didn't catch that either. One of the sentences made me think that they have yet to actually speak with the contractors beyond simply agreeing to work together. I would guess that Porterfield and the administration have an idea of where they will put them, but need to talk more with the contractors before making an official announcement.

There's space at the western end of campus, near Vandeventer. Of course, they could also build a dorm on the site of the swimming pool as well.

There's space at the western end of campus, near Vandeventer. Of course, they could also build a dorm on the site of the swimming pool as well.

Ideally, they'd do a new mixed-use building (see Wash U. in the Loop) at the Grand/Lindell sculpture park site. Could do something similar to this with maybe a little more height, but I'm sure they won't.

2_Brix_Masthead.jpg

Ideally, they'd do a new mixed-use building (see Wash U. in the Loop) at the Grand/Lindell sculpture park site. Could do something similar to this with maybe a little more height, but I'm sure they won't.

2_Brix_Masthead.jpg

Where is this? KC?

I'd like to see something like that and Grand and Lindell as well. It's actually bigger than the building that used to be there and would be a nice gateway to Grand Center. It doesn't have to be a high rise.

I had a friend from KY who was attending then and he was on an ROTC schollie and he told me that SLU offered him to pay the full tuition equal to what ROTC paid SLU to any school if he choose to transfer for engineering. He took them up and transfered - don't remember where he went. His only beef was that he was a freshman and he wished they had told him before he started but otherwise he was OK - he said things could have been a lot worse.

2_Brix_Masthead.jpg

I'd prefer saving the prime spot for a future landmark-type building.

2_Brix_Masthead.jpg

I'd prefer saving the prime spot for a future landmark-type building, but I could live with this.

There's a small field on the east side of campus that I've heard might be used (tegler field)

In the past I've heard that Tegler Field is earmarked for a new Arts & Sciences building, likely a lot of computer science classrooms. But that was before the law school moved.

They've working on clearing out the Laclede Houses and buying the last one that privately owned, so I think that would be a likely place for a new building. They want to tear down the houses because they cost too much in maintenance.

The site of the Shack I think is also currently available. It looks like whatever plan was there fell through

Those are decent spots; it will create a central residential area. Those poor Reinertians will feel even more secluded.

Better than adding down by Vandy (for Reinert kids)

Gries, the two new ones, and Fusz all pretty close together and surrounding the Rec (and Humps)