OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who can afford Bread Company as a student?????

I don't think it's much more expensive than Au Bon Pain, which is incredibly popular on campus, and as bills10 said, I imagine students will be able to use flex dollars, which come with the meal plans.

I don't think anything is in there now. It was Chuy's for a while after if was Boccardi's.

I remember RM ripping Chuy's and then about halfway through his rant, he stops himself and says "I hope they're not a sponsor" and then he goes back to breaking down how bad their food was. It was entertaining radio. RM usually sang the praises of most local restaurants, so it was surprising.

Yeah, there have been a few misses - 20 North, Bullfeathers/Marina Building, the old stables on Locust - but lots more hits.

Back when the Continental (Superman) Building was renovated, the old Wagoner Funeral Home was demolished to make way for a parking garage. The building's facade, however, was preserved. I'd love to see it incorporated into a new building in Grand Center.

cont-wagoner1.jpg

cont-wagoner2.jpg

You left out the most important detail about this building. I spent 4 years of my life in there as an engineering student at SLU. This was IT. It was off the main campus, but it was across from Garavelli's. There was many a card game in the lobby behind those two big windows. The dean's office was on the second floor on the right. There was another building just west of this one which was connected and which housed many of the labs. It was set back from the street, as I remember.

What is in the old Joe Boccardis in the bottom of Coronado? Do they still have an all you can drink special on Fridays?

Currently empty and available for leasing. I had heard a rumor that they were putting a convenience store there. Guess that didn't happen. Also, probably moving slowly due to the change of ownership for the Coronado and Lindell Towers.

new stuff happening on campus: I believe this space pictured will be on the mall, southwest of clock tower, on north side of fusz:

http://www.slu.edu/x94034.xml

Looks like its the current grassy space in front of the Fusz food court. This will be much nicer than the current entrance to Fusz food court.

I like the trend on the SLU main campus towards creating more spaces for students to meet. Campus always is more vibrant when people are sitting outside for lunch or studying, rather than always in their own worlds in the housing. The new West Pine Gym is a terrific space, and this looks great as well.

You left out the most important detail about this building. I spent 4 years of my life in there as an engineering student at SLU. This was IT. It was off the main campus, but it was across from Garavelli's. There was many a card game in the lobby behind those two big windows. The dean's office was on the second floor on the right. There was another building just west of this one which was connected and which housed many of the labs. It was set back from the street, as I remember.

When was that? Did engineering have its own separate IT dept.? Back in the card-punch days, all the computer stuff was in Despair Hall and the major was called "mathematical computer sciences." (And they taught several programming languages for which they had no compilers, so the profs graded your programs by hand.)

When was that? Did engineering have its own separate IT dept.? Back in the card-punch days, all the computer stuff was in Despair Hall and the major was called "mathematical computer sciences." (And they taught several programming languages for which they had no compilers, so the profs graded your programs by hand.)

Sorry, IT = Institute of Technology, in those days. We didn't take any classes that required a computer back then, just a slide rule. We didn't even have calculators. Things have changed a little.

Sorry, IT = Institute of Technology, in those days. We didn't take any classes that required a computer back then, just a slide rule. We didn't even have calculators. Things have changed a little.

So you're old enough for the worn joke about the constipated mathematician actually to make sense then. :)

Fortran was the computer course back in the early 70's.

They abruptly closed the School of Engineering in early 1970, right when it was too late to withdraw and get a tuition refund. They abandoned the engineering students, told them to transfer somewhere else.

They abruptly closed the School of Engineering in early 1970, right when it was too late to withdraw and get a tuition refund. They abandoned the engineering students, told them to transfer somewhere else.

Man, of all the programs to shut down. Crazy.

So there are what 4 current construction projects ongoing to build new residential within a block of campus?

Gerhart block. The standard at forest park and vandy. Laclede lofts on lacledes and whatever the apartments are called at west pine and Sarah.

Pretty unreal. Ikea should start construction soon.

Any word on midtown station recently?

So there are what 4 current construction projects ongoing to build new residential within a block of campus?

Gerhart block. The standard at forest park and vandy. Laclede lofts on lacledes and whatever the apartments are called at west pine and Sarah.

Pretty unreal. Ikea should start construction soon.

Any word on midtown station recently?

Also whatever is going to replace the Shack.

Apparently SLU just sold a bit of land to the north of campus. Haven't heard anything particular about that, though.

That's not true. They provided assistance to students with their transfer. I don't know all the details, but they paid at least a good part of the tuition at another school. My brother-in-law was in IT when they closed it.

That's not true. They provided assistance to students with their transfer. I don't know all the details, but they paid at least a good part of the tuition at another school. My brother-in-law was in IT when they closed it.

It was abrupt.

Strategically, it was announced the day that students could no longer withdraw and get their tuition back.

Sure, if your Daddy knew a good lawyer, they would, then, assist with the transfer, yes.

If not, then "good luck", it was not like today with social media and press, many didn't challenge it and just moved on and that was that.

IMO, it made no sense to close The School of Engineering at that time.