OT: Carpenter hits grand slam

jimbofive

Carpenter hit a grand slam in the 2nd inning of today's ongoing game against the Reds, and it's not even top 10 headlines on the MLB section of the ESPN.com site. They had Roy Halladay's ongoing no-hitter on there as of the 5th yesterday. What a bunch of AIDS.

How rare is a grand slam by a pitcher, anyhow? I can't remember any. Pretty much seals the deal for Carpenter's Cy Young this year.

HATE HATE HATE.

Kent Merker was the last cardinals pitcher to hit a grand slam. 6 RBIs for Carpenter break Bob Gibson's single game RBI record of 5 for a cardinal. Carpenter also clinched the ERA title today.

Carpenter hit a grand slam in the 2nd inning of today's ongoing game against the Reds, and it's not even top 10 headlines on the MLB section of the ESPN.com site. They had Roy Halladay's ongoing no-hitter on there as of the 5th yesterday. What a bunch of AIDS.

How rare is a grand slam by a pitcher, anyhow? I can't remember any. Pretty much seals the deal for Carpenter's Cy Young this year.

HATE HATE HATE.

I would be inclined to give the Cy Young to Adam if he pitches well tomorrow night and gets his 20th win.

Either way, I can't see how Timmy boy is even in the discussion any longer

HATE HATE HATE.

Before today Carp had a total of 6 RBIs in his career!

I would be inclined to give the Cy Young to Adam if he pitches well tomorrow night and gets his 20th win.

Either way, I can't see how Timmy boy is even in the discussion any longer

Yeah, it's a toss-up, I think. Wainwright obviously has the chance to win 20, and has considerably more strikeouts. However, batters hit about 20 points lower against Carpenter, and most telling, I think, is that in 13 games against NL Central opponents he went 11-0 with a 1.75 ERA.

Wainwright, by comparison, went 8-2 in 13 games against the NL Central and had a 2.09 ERA in those games. Still great numbers, but not as dominant as Carpenter.

Also, for the year, the Cards gave Wainwright 5.36 runs in every game he pitched, whereas Carpenter only received 4.15 runs per game. Carpenter did only lose 4 games. He could have won a lot more if the run support had been there.

But then Wainwright did pitch the full year. Once again, just a tossup. But yeah, if Lincecum even comes close to factoring into the voting, then I call SHENANIGANS.

According to Joe Strauss: Carp's 6 RBI today are only one fewer than the rest of the team has combined in his last three starts.

Took me awhile to compile my stats on my last post, just saw yours. Definitely confirms that Carp did a LOT this year with the help he was given.

Yeah, it's a toss-up, I think. Wainwright obviously has the chance to win 20, and has considerably more strikeouts. However, batters hit about 20 points lower against Carpenter, and most telling, I think, is that in 13 games against NL Central opponents he went 11-0 with a 1.75 ERA.

Wainwright, by comparison, went 8-2 in 13 games against the NL Central and had a 2.09 ERA in those games. Still great numbers, but not as dominant as Carpenter.

Also, for the year, the Cards gave Wainwright 5.36 runs in every game he pitched, whereas Carpenter only received 4.15 runs per game. Carpenter did only lose 4 games. He could have won a lot more if the run support had been there.

But then Wainwright did pitch the full year. Once again, just a tossup. But yeah, if Lincecum even comes close to factoring into the voting, then I call SHENANIGANS.

I agree it's close and I can see either winning. They both have things that make their case. Adam, more innings and more wins and the best era the 2nd half. Chris a little better era, and whip, along with a better winning percentage.

For me a .2 or .3 era advantage just doesn't overide 3 wins (if Adam wins tommorrow)

Guest BillikenReport

I agree it's close and I can see either winning. They both have things that make their case. Adam, more innings and more wins and the best era the 2nd half. Chris a little better era, and whip, along with a better winning percentage.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carpenter, Wainwright or Lincecum win it.

I was looking up some stats earlier and one thing I noticed was that Carp has only, at least before today, allowed two stolen bases this season. He is credited with four guys caught stealing while he's on the mound, which is an unreal ratio.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carpenter, Wainwright or Lincecum win it.

I was looking up some stats earlier and one thing I noticed was that Carp has only, at least before today, allowed two stolen bases this season. He is credited with four guys caught stealing while he's on the mound, which is an unreal ratio.

I can't see Lincecum in it any longer. How could you make his case? He strikes out a lot of people? He's 2 wins and 3 losses worse than Carp with a higher era.

He's 4 wins (possibly 5) off Wainwright's pace. He's got the worst winning % of all 3, his era is just barely higher than Adam and he'll have pitched a few less innings. The only thing he has to hang his hat on is K's. 4-5 wins is a lot to overcome. I can't see it. Great pitcher, maybe better than Adam, but not the Cy Young winner this year.

I can't see Lincecum in it any longer. How could you make his case? He strikes out a lot of people? He's 2 wins and 3 losses worse than Carp with a higher era.

He's 4 wins (possibly 5) off Wainwright's pace. He's got the worst winning % of all 3, his era is just barely higher than Adam and he'll have pitched a few less innings. The only thing he has to hang his hat on is K's. 4-5 wins is a lot to overcome. I can't see it. Great pitcher, maybe better than Adam, but not the Cy Young winner this year.

Lincecum's WHIP, BAA and Ks are pretty sick, and he'll probably end up being better than both of our guys in the long run, but he should come in 3rd this year.

Wins can be pretty arbitrary. There have been great pitchers who can't get wins and vice versa. Bronson Arroyo is somehow one of the win leaders in the NL. Aaron Harang has 6 wins for the second year in a row despite lowering his ERA from 4.79 to 4.21. I can't imagine wins are taken as seriously as other stats because they're only halfway on the pitcher. That said, if Wainwright wins 20, that's a big boost to his case.

The NL race is tight because you have a wins leader, ERA leader, and K leader, with a lot of arguing points for all three based on other stats. Wainwright seems to have the most complete case of the three.

I think Lincecum is very much still in the running. You can't deny his K ability and he leads the league in complete games, too. How many wins would he have on the Cardinals? More than 15.

This is sort of a nifty feature: http://espn.go.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

But Greinke better win the AL Cy Young or there is no justice.

Wins can be pretty arbitrary. There have been great pitchers who can't get wins and vice versa. Bronson Arroyo is somehow one of the win leaders in the NL. Aaron Harang has 6 wins for the second year in a row despite lowering his ERA from 4.79 to 4.21. I can't imagine wins are taken as seriously as other stats because they're only halfway on the pitcher. That said, if Wainwright wins 20, that's a big boost to his case.

The NL race is tight because you have a wins leader, ERA leader, and K leader, with a lot of arguing points for all three based on other stats. Wainwright seems to have the most complete case of the three.

I think Lincecum is very much still in the running. You can't deny his K ability and he leads the league in complete games, too. How many wins would he have on the Cardinals? More than 15.

This is sort of a nifty feature: http://espn.go.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

But Greinke better win the AL Cy Young or there is no justice.

I agree wins are frequently not a great source of a pitchers effectiveness, but on the other hand ... they are the reason the game is played. K's for a starting pitcher are also over rated. In the end does it matter if you gave up 2 runs while striking out 7 or 8? The end result was you allowed 2 runs.

I like Lincecum and if I was picking a NL pitcher to build my team around for the future, no doubt he'd have very serious consideration and may have the best stuff of all 3. If I wanted one game won, I'd go with Carp. With all that said, Wainwright should win the CY Young award this year, if all goes well tonight. If somehow he were to get knocked around tonight and get a loss or a no decision, I might lean to Carp.

Guest BillikenReport

All three guys have impressive stats.

You can make the case that if Lincecum had a better team supporting him, he would have won several more games.

I wouldn't be surprised if some voters see two guys from the same team that they will mark down both of those guys because they are on one of the top teams in the league.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Carpenter's ERA is used against him because he missed a month — like that Wainwright or Lincecum would have better ERAs if they also missed a month. How much should the fact that the guy missed time (and the other two didn't) be factored in to the discussion? I don't know.

Obviously you can say that if Carpenter hadn't missed time he would have had a few more wins and his stats would be more impressive.

I don't know how the vote is going to go but I wouldn't be surprised to see any of those three guys win it.

HATE HATE HATE.

Tony Cloniger of the Braves once hit two grand slams in one game while driving in 9 runs total. No pitcher has ever hit more than two in a career. Gibson is one who has hit two.

Rick Wise of the Phillies once pitched a no-hitter while hitting two home runs in the same game. Now that is having a night.

All three guys have impressive stats.

You can make the case that if Lincecum had a better team supporting him, he would have won several more games.

I wouldn't be surprised if some voters see two guys from the same team that they will mark down both of those guys because they are on one of the top teams in the league.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Carpenter's ERA is used against him because he missed a month — like that Wainwright or Lincecum would have better ERAs if they also missed a month. How much should the fact that the guy missed time (and the other two didn't) be factored in to the discussion? I don't know.

Obviously you can say that if Carpenter hadn't missed time he would have had a few more wins and his stats would be more impressive.

I don't know how the vote is going to go but I wouldn't be surprised to see any of those three guys win it.

I can't imagine his era being used against him because he missed a month. I've never heard that argument and it doesn't make sense. How does anyone know the month he missed he'd have pitched worse than he pitched the other 5 months and what would make anyone assume he would have?

For all the people who think lack of run support hurt only Lincecum ... Adam had an era of 1.93 at home and only ended up 7-7. Cards hitters certainly didn't help him at home.

Wins Win % era innings k's whip

1. Adam Carp Carp Adam Tim Carp

2.Carp Adam Tim Tim Adam Tim

3.Tim Tim Adam Carp Carp Adam

Just my opinion, but I think downplaying win's in the Cy Young voting is crazy. You play the game to win, at the end of the game the only stat that matters is if you win or lose. If Pujols hit 5 HR's in a game and the team lost .... the HR's are meaningless. I see the CY Young as a determination of which pitcher had the best season, not who has the best stuff, not who strikes out the most batters. Again, just my opinion, but I'd rank the above categories like this in value

Wins

Win %

Innings

era

K's

Whip

If Adam has a bad night and gets a loss tonight, I'd have to seriously consider Carp 19-9 against 17-4 with Carp holding the era lead, I don't know I'd have to think about it hard. If Adam gets a win tonight, he'd have my vote. I can't fathom how Tim could win it over Carp so in my book, he's out of the picture. The award is Adam's to win tonight.