Brett Thompson Update

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was posted that he was going to go to Southeast Louisiana,has that changed,or was that ever the case?

According to a recent news report, Brett is deciding among Southern Indiana, Murray State, Southeast Missouri State, and Illinois State as his transfer destination

I would think he could be a star in the Valley with the right coach; I can't imagine he will go very far from home, though. I have no idea what his

grades situation was at SLU but Murray State has to be the classiest of the group and closest to home for him. I have no idea whether they have

a big for him to compete with. It would seem Cuonzo Martin at MO State would want to run more than Brett would like. Semo likes their basketball program and seems to attract a lot of very local talent and they do compete very heavily with MO STATE for outstate kids might be a very good fit I would like to see how he does.

I would think he could be a star in the Valley with the right coach; I can't imagine he will go very far from home, though. I have no idea what his

grades situation was at SLU but Murray State has to be the classiest of the group and closest to home for him. I have no idea whether they have

a big for him to compete with. It would seem Cuonzo Martin at MO State would want to run more than Brett would like. Semo likes their basketball program and seems to attract a lot of very local talent and they do compete very heavily with MO STATE for outstate kids might be a very good fit I would like to see how he does.

"Classiest?" Illinois State is a heck of a school and an outstanding basketball program. Actually, it is a better program than the one he just left, and that is not a slam. Jankovich is doing a heck of a job at ISU and they had the best recruiting class in the Valley this past year to add to an already loaded roster.

"Classiest?" Illinois State is a heck of a school and an outstanding basketball program. Actually, it is a better program than the one he just left, and that is not a slam. Jankovich is doing a heck of a job at ISU and they had the best recruiting class in the Valley this past year to add to an already loaded roster.

I don't know how you can say that. Basketball success is judge by conference championships and NCAA apearances. SLU has the most recent conference championship, the most recent NCAA appearance, the most recent NCAA tournament win, the coach with the far better track record, and SLU has the better basketball facilites.

"Best" in any area is a matter of individual perception. Brett went to Vienna, right? Seems to me the last three of the four would be a logical landing spot. I take Southern out because its not Division 1 but if it is as Trey said, maybe that don't matter to Brett. I still wish the kid well and will follow from a distance. I am certain that if he doesn't do well, I'll be happy for it in terms of selfish, Billiken validation. If he does do well, I'll say "damn" and rationalize it in some sort of way ---- maybe perceive a less-than-intense environment that allows for passion to be rediscovered.

Guest BillikenReport

I'm hearing he is down to two schools and neither is a Division I.

Will be interesting to see what he chooses to do.

I'm hearing he is down to two schools and neither is a Division I.

Will be interesting to see what he chooses to do.

yeah i think its down to southern indiana and soderburgs new school lindenwood in st charles...brett really likes soderburg

Guest BillikenReport

yeah i think its down to southern indiana and soderburgs new school lindenwood in st charles...brett really likes soderburg

Not sure how many people know about this, but I was told from a very good source that Thompson committed to Soderberg when BS was still at SLU. Apparently Soderberg wanted to keep it quiet so it would not scare off any other recruits he was going after at that time.

That decision may have helped cost the coach his job at SLU. Surely, the Billikens' recruiting would have looked a lot better had people known that the coach got a commitment from a 7-footer who was rated by some as a top 100 prospect in his class.

Not sure how many people know about this, but I was told from a very good source that Thompson committed to Soderberg when BS was still at SLU. Apparently Soderberg wanted to keep it quiet so it would not scare off any other recruits he was going after at that time.

That decision may have helped cost the coach his job at SLU. Surely, the Billikens' recruiting would have looked a lot better had people known that the coach got a commitment from a 7-footer who was rated by some as a top 100 prospect in his class.

I keep wondering why we did not see a top 100 performance; he let Willie come in and steal his job in spite of 60 pounds of muscle to his benefit. I thought BT had more upside than John Brandenberg when I saw them face to face in the high sxhool all star game. But then maybe both were over rated as JB got in only 8 games and not very many minutes. It would be more rhan ironic if JB decided now SLU was his best option and BT went to play for Brad

What kind of strategy is that?

I recall all the arguments I used to have with Vtime about just how "good" the St. Louis area was for producing kids who can play at the next level. Remember Vee suggesting SLU should offer this local kid and that? Now, here are two local seven-footers with questions. I'm not looking to validate my thoughts (because I don't need any more convincing on my stance) but here are two more "top 100 prospects" as someone says both looking for a new home.

And Nate's comment on BS is ridiculous to me (sorry Nate)! How does signing a top 100 seven-footer "scare" off other recruits? I would think that as a guard or forward, the predominant group of kids you're after, signing a seven-footer is a positive for the overall team, not a negative. I also recall the Thompson thing needing to be reworked when Rick came in. Brett had verballed, of course, signing was six months down the road. I think Femi might have been a target of the BS era but none of the others (Reed, Cassity, Conklin, Mitchell) were. Its always fun to do the "wonder if" kind of stuff and I wonder who and if BS would have got anyone else in that Kramer group? And if he didn't, what would plan B have looked like. More Anthony Mitchells and more Justin Johnson and more Dwayne Polks?

I recall all the arguments I used to have with Vtime about just how "good" the St. Louis area was for producing kids who can play at the next level. Remember Vee suggesting SLU should offer this local kid and that? Now, here are two local seven-footers with questions. I'm not looking to validate my thoughts (because I don't need any more convincing on my stance) but here are two more "top 100 prospects" as someone says both looking for a new home.

And Nate's comment on BS is ridiculous to me (sorry Nate)! How does signing a top 100 seven-footer "scare" off other recruits? I would think that as a guard or forward, the predominant group of kids you're after, signing a seven-footer is a positive for the overall team, not a negative. I also recall the Thompson thing needing to be reworked when Rick came in. Brett had verballed, of course, signing was six months down the road. I think Femi might have been a target of the BS era but none of the others (Reed, Cassity, Conklin, Mitchell) were. Its always fun to do the "wonder if" kind of stuff and I wonder who and if BS would have got anyone else in that Kramer group? And if he didn't, what would plan B have looked like. More Anthony Mitchells and more Justin Johnson and more Dwayne Polks?

reed was being recruited by soderberg. Also, Suggs really like BS and Kramer obviously would have committed to SLU.

That would be a big pick up for Sodie. I hope he goes to Lindenwood. I'm still not as convinced as some of you that Brett was going to get lost in the rotation. I liked what I saw from the 7 foot freshman. He was a little slower than we would have liked, at this point, but I still forsee him becoming a heck of a player as he grows into his body.

Guest BillikenReport

And Nate's comment on BS is ridiculous to me (sorry Nate)! How does signing a top 100 seven-footer "scare" off other recruits? I would think that as a guard or forward, the predominant group of kids you're after, signing a seven-footer is a positive for the overall team, not a negative.

Don't say sorry to me. I'm just telling you how it went down.

reed was being recruited by soderberg. Also, Suggs really like BS and Kramer obviously would have committed to SLU.

Brad is gone, his recruiting is/never will be better than RMs. Suggs was not coming here to play slow tempo - defense style with BS. BS was given his chance and he stagnated the program and had nothing in the pipeline for the future when he left. The program's future is night and day between now and 2 years ago.

Give it a rest...

Guest BillikenReport

That would be a big pick up for Sodie. I hope he goes to Lindenwood. I'm still not as convinced as some of you that Brett was going to get lost in the rotation. I liked what I saw from the 7 foot freshman. He was a little slower than we would have liked, at this point, but I still forsee him becoming a heck of a player as he grows into his body.

Of course it would. How many 7-footers transfer from Division I schools to NAIA schools?

I think Brett would have been the fourth post player in the rotation at SLU this season — behind Reed, Conklin and Ellis — but that doesn't mean that he couldn't have developed into an impact player with the Billikens and played professionally after his college career. It takes longer for most big guys to develop. If he puts the work in, he has a chance to be very good. He's obviously got size and offensive skills.

Taj, I can tell you I heard the exact same thing, that Brad told Brett to keep his commitment secret until after the Spring signing period presumably so that he wouldn't scare off any big-men recruits that Spring. My source is completely independent of Nate so I believe it to be true.

kshoe --- not doubting you or Nate (and I apologized to him up front). That Spring, who did we sign? Eberhardt and Knollmeyer and Mitchell, I believe, right? Frankly, maybe we SHOULD have scared the whole group off. Was Relaphorde in there too? I'd take Barry and I thought Marcus might develop. But none of those guys should have been scared off by a center. Maybe it was a few we whiffed on then?

Guest BillikenReport

kshoe --- not doubting you or Nate (and I apologized to him up front). That Spring, who did we sign? Eberhardt and Knollmeyer and Mitchell, I believe, right? Frankly, maybe we SHOULD have scared the whole group off. Was Relaphorde in there too? I'd take Barry and I thought Marcus might develop. But none of those guys should have been scared off by a center. Maybe it was a few we whiffed on then?

Knollmeyer was already a freshman at SLU then. Relphorde and Mitchell were in the mix and Eberhardt was still deciding at that point.

I hope you realize that the thought process you are questioning here is BS's and not mine or kshoe's. I'm just passing along what I was told about the situation. I consider that to be another poor decision regarding recruiting made by the former head coach.

Another source told me the same thing happened with Rodney Alexander, the JUCO forward who eventually ended up at Illinois for one year. Apparently he committed but it was kept quiet earlier that year.

-is this idea of keeping verbals secret widely practiced?

-it seems to me if you are recruiting the player you think he will be beneficial for your program, so if they commit this should be a good thing, why the secrets?

Nate -- not picking on either you or kshoe. Just trying ot understand. Cowboy has some good questions above me as well. I understand that these are all BS questions in essence. I liked the guy; I am really at a loss though when it comes to trying to figure out what he was up to and how he evaluated talent. It seems like, short of the L & L boys, it was "well, all our recruiting targets fell threw AGAIN. What's left on the junk pile that I can bring in this spring?"

Short of the L & L boys and throwing in Meyer, BS only true gets were luck --- Reggie and Ian and, maybe, Ohanon.

I do not doubt you of kshoe so the tip of the spear is not pointed there. I'm just trying ot understand and comprehend. As always, thanks for your continued input.

Rodney Alexander committed to who? SLU?

Knollmeyer was already a freshman at SLU then. Relphorde and Mitchell were in the mix and Eberhardt was still deciding at that point.

I hope you realize that the thought process you are questioning here is BS's and not mine or kshoe's. I'm just passing along what I was told about the situation. I consider that to be another poor decision regarding recruiting made by the former head coach.

Another source told me the same thing happened with Rodney Alexander, the JUCO forward who eventually ended up at Illinois for one year. Apparently he committed but it was kept quiet earlier that year.

That approach seems extremely misguided on several fronts. As others have pointed out, when you land highly rated players it often helps attract other highly rated players, so why keep that quiet? Also, the fanbase was growing increasingly frustrated with Soderberg's late spring recruiting desperation grabs. Why wouldn't he want the word to get out that he landed a highly regarded player early?

So Soderberg was afraid that these signings would scare away other potential recruits who play similar positions? This really speaks to Soderberg's flawed approach on how to put together a quality team together. You should go after kids who are not afraid to compete for playing time. That is the approach Majerus takes. Build depth, create competition for playing time - sure there will be a few players who fall by the wayside because they want more playing time, but you will wind up with a better team. Too often during the Soderberg era, some guys were never recruited over who should have been. There also should have been a suitable replacement on the roster after Ian graduated. I can't believe Soderberg also did this "keep it quiet" thing with Rodney Alexander. This report just confirms that Soderberg was not the right man for the job.