Brad Beal

NH

Scout.com came out with their top 75 in 2011 and Beal is rated #9 and a 5 star prospect. Also rated the numer one shooting guard in the nation. From everything I have read it seems Beal will make his decision before next school year and it doesnt seem like SLU is a contender. However, it has been a while since st. louis had a player this celebrated.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scout.com came out with their top 75 in 2011 and Beal is rated #9 and a 5 star prospect. Also rated the numer one shooting guard in the nation. From everything I have read it seems Beal will make his decision before next school year and it doesnt seem like SLU is a contender. However, it has been a while since st. louis had a player this celebrated.

I wouldnt say we arent a contender. He has some interest at SLU and has a been on campus a few times. Im sure its a big long shot but our name is still in the hat.

does anyone recall where hughes was "ranked" in high school amongst his peers? i dont think he was ranked in the top 10 even. maybe darius miles was.

does anyone recall where hughes was "ranked" in high school amongst his peers? i dont think he was ranked in the top 10 even. maybe darius miles was.

I believe Hughes was top 10 in some of the rankings. He was a 5-Star recruit and a McDonald's AA, which puts him the top 15 of so. In fact, I thought one of the publications had him ranked number 2 after UCLA-recruit Baron Davis.

you can see in that video that he can score from anywhere with either hand going either way. if he keeps working hard and maybe even grows an inch or two more, he is going to absolutely fill it up in college. there's two other videos from the jayhawk invitational that can be found easily. he's a little streakier in those and appears to make some bad decisions taking it to the hoop, but that's absolute top competition, too. i think we can be a tourney team w/out him by the time he hits NCAA, but hopefully he realizes that he can be the hometown hero and give us a few extra wins in the tourney at the same time. :blink:

My recollection was that heading into the summer Hughes was considered a 25-50 type caliber prospect. He had a very nice summer that got him basically into the top 25. They won a state championship and he certainly shined but his ranking didn't move much from there although he was selected as one of the 24 (or something like that) to play in the McDonalds game. It was there that he blew up and had a great game. I still have a tape of that game and the USA vs. World game and in one of them Billy Packer says something like "Larry Hughes is the best player on the floor." After those two games Larry was in almost everyone's top 5 lists.

As I recall, there was some talk of Hughes getting drafted had he decided to go pro. I do think he crept into the top 10.

but hughes rise to the top happened senior year and summer before slu.

not rising junior year like beal is now. i think miles might be the only recent high schooler to reach beal level acclaim that early in high school.

but hughes rise to the top happened senior year and summer before slu.

not rising junior year like beal is now. i think miles might be the only recent high schooler to reach beal level acclaim that early in high school.

David Lee was pretty highly regarded, but I'm not sure it was that high.

Guest BillikenReport

David Lee was pretty highly regarded, but I'm not sure it was that high.

Beal is definitely the highest-regarded prospect in the area since David Lee.

It's tough to compare those two. Beal is getting recruited a lot more than Lee did at the same stage, but by the end of his recruitment Lee had every major program in the country after him and was a top 10 recruit nationally.

Beal will be the next McDonald's AA out of St. Louis, following the likes of Lee, Miles, Hughes and the few guys who preceded Hughes.

Beal is definitely the highest-regarded prospect in the area since David Lee.

It's tough to compare those two. Beal is getting recruited a lot more than Lee did at the same stage, but by the end of his recruitment Lee had every major program in the country after him and was a top 10 recruit nationally.

Beal will be the next McDonald's AA out of St. Louis, following the likes of Lee, Miles, Hughes and the few guys who preceded Hughes.

I do not think David Lee was ever this highly regarded. Beal is a 5-star recruit and the top rated player at his position.

I heard a few weeks back that Beal was essentially a KU lock.

Chaminade has a loaded class of athletes in the class of 2011. Three BCS level football recruits (WR Brandon Hannah, QB Christian Suntrup, and RB Rob Standard) to go along with Beal.

I wouldnt say we arent a contender. He has some interest at SLU and has a been on campus a few times. Im sure its a big long shot but our name is still in the hat.

We probably are not among his top choices, but we have a chance with this kid. I said this earlier, but we have a shot with this kid. He is not just giving SLU attetion because it is the local school. He wants them to put on the sales job because he is intrested.

By the time the final rankings for his class comes out, he has a legit shot of being top 5. He could be the highest rated hoops player in my memory to ever come out of the area.

I do not think David Lee was ever this highly regarded. Beal is a 5-star recruit and the top rated player at his position.

I heard a few weeks back that Beal was essentially a KU lock.

Chaminade has a loaded class of athletes in the class of 2011. Three BCS level football recruits (WR Brandon Hannah, QB Christian Suntrup, and RB Rob Standard) to go along with Beal.

David Lee was the #10 player in 2001 according to the RSCI, the compilation of recruiting services. Hoopscoop had him #8 as did Prep Stars. Telep had him #11. So, Lee was ranked pretty darn high.

Miles was consistently top 5. Hughes blew up summer before his senior year and then just kept going from top 50 to top 20 to being in the top 5 on some lists. I remember Lee being rated in the top 3 on some lists. His class had 7 or 8 kids go straight to the pros. When he wasn't one of them he dropped to just in the top ten or just out of it.

We probably are not among his top choices, but we have a chance with this kid. I said this earlier, but we have a shot with this kid. He is not just giving SLU attetion because it is the local school. He wants them to put on the sales job because he is intrested.

By the time the final rankings for his class comes out, he has a legit shot of being top 5. He could be the highest rated hoops player in my memory to ever come out of the area.

I know it is a differennt era; but how would Bill Bradley of Crystal City High and Senator from New Jersey have been ranked?

In 1964-65 he was NCAA final 4 most outstanding player and also Associated Press College player of the year.

He played 10 years in the pros for the Knicks until he was age 33 and he delayed going to the NBA to go to Oxford as a Rhodes scholar=a really different era . Trying to compare him to Darius Miles who probably studied his free throws to the extent he couldn't get in college and had to go directly to the NBA. Strangely Romar thought

he was going to get him in SLU. Romar did not know where he was when he was in the Midwest; Romar is truly gifted and will always be successful on the West Coast.

Bradley's senior year the local newspapers had photos of him every game and he was on TV continually

I know it is a differennt era; but how would Bill Bradley of Crystal City High and Senator from New Jersey have been ranked?

In 1964-65 he was NCAA final 4 most outstanding player and also Associated Press College player of the year.

He played 10 years in the pros for the Knicks until he was age 33 and he delayed going to the NBA to go to Oxford as a Rhodes scholar=a really different era . Trying to compare him to Darius Miles who probably studied his free throws to the extent he couldn't get in college and had to go directly to the NBA. Strangely Romar thought

he was going to get him in SLU. Romar did not know where he was when he was in the Midwest; Romar is truly gifted and will always be successful on the West Coast.

Bradley's senior year the local newspapers had photos of him every game and he was on TV continually

His HS senior yr, he averaged 37 pts a game and took little Crystal City to the state championship against SLUH where they lost by a point or 2. Imagine he was a big recruit, but back then, going to Princeton was probably a bigger deal than playing hoops for North Carolina, since hoops took a backseat to baseball.

His sr yr at Princeton, they lost to SLU ironically. I heard he still scored 30 though. SLU was supposed to be pretty good. Some say his NCAA performance was the best of all time. I have heard that going to Oxford hurt his game at the NBA (of course, he became a senator). He still started on a NBA championship team with the Knicks, which was a good one.

David Lee was the #10 player in 2001 according to the RSCI, the compilation of recruiting services. Hoopscoop had him #8 as did Prep Stars. Telep had him #11. So, Lee was ranked pretty darn high.

David Lee rose quite a bit between his sophomore and junior seasons, and a lot more the following summer. He didn't blow up to the degree Beal has this early on, but combes is correct in his rankings- always hovering around that #10 spot senior year. That high school class was pretty loaded with bigs, with Kwame Brown going #1 in the draft, Tyson Chandler going #2, and Eddy Curry going #4. DeSagana Diop went #8 and Ousmane Cisse went in the second round.

DaJuan Wagner and Kelvin Torbert were a couple of the top players in that class, and I believe Rick Rickert and Julius Hodge were also top-10. It was touted as a loaded class at the time.

Funny thing is, there are only a couple in the whole HS class of 2001 you could make a case for actually being more successful than Lee- Ben Gordon, Mo Williams, maybe Emeka Okafor, and maybe Curry. Some had better college careers but not in the NBA.

When Darius Miles was drafted third in 2000, that was the highest ever for a high school player at the time, and the only other high school player to go pro that year was DeShawn Stevenson. I would imagine Miles was top 5 in that class, but can't find the rankings for some reason.

David Lee rose quite a bit between his sophomore and junior seasons, and a lot more the following summer. He didn't blow up to the degree Beal has this early on, but combes is correct in his rankings- always hovering around that #10 spot senior year. That high school class was pretty loaded with bigs, with Kwame Brown going #1 in the draft, Tyson Chandler going #2, and Eddy Curry going #4. DeSagana Diop went #8 and Ousmane Cisse went in the second round.

DaJuan Wagner and Kelvin Torbert were a couple of the top players in that class, and I believe Rick Rickert and Julius Hodge were also top-10. It was touted as a loaded class at the time.

Funny thing is, there are only a couple in the whole HS class of 2001 you could make a case for actually being more successful than Lee- Ben Gordon, Mo Williams, maybe Emeka Okafor, and maybe Curry. Some had better college careers but not in the NBA.

When Darius Miles was drafted third in 2000, that was the highest ever for a high school player at the time, and the only other high school player to go pro that year was DeShawn Stevenson. I would imagine Miles was top 5 in that class, but can't find the rankings for some reason.

According to the rsci, Miles was #3 in the 2000 class behind Zach Randolph and Eddie Griffin.

Guest BillikenReport

According to the rsci, Miles was #3 in the 2000 class behind Zach Randolph and Eddie Griffin.

That threesome has made a lot of money.

Haven't won a lot of basketball games, but probably doubtful that any of the three care about that.

That threesome has made a lot of money.

Haven't won a lot of basketball games, but probably doubtful that any of the three care about that.

Eddie Griffin died in a car crash in Houston a couple of summers ago. He was intoxicated and drove through a railroad warning into a moving train.

Getting back to Beal I found this hsort interview.

http://cuttingdownnets.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/brad-beal/

I am not sure when that interview is from, but it is at least nice to see him still mentioning SLU especially when it is in the company of schools like Kansas, Florida, Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State, Texas, and UNC. It is interesting to see that he did not mention Mizzou.

I am not sure when that interview is from, but it is at least nice to see him still mentioning SLU especially when it is in the company of schools like Kansas, Florida, Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State, Texas, and UNC. It is interesting to see that he did not mention Mizzou.