Brad Beal

NH

You're right, sports and politics are never discussed together. You never hear questions like...

Should the Cardinals have gotten tax money to help finance the stadium?

Should SLU have gotten a tax break on Chaifetz?

Should the city/county/state build a new stadium for the Rams?

Should the city tax bonus money of players in the All Star game?

roy brought up an interesting point about the structure of the NCAA. You can choose to ignore the 4 or 5 posts related to this if you like.

I'm guessing you're a fan of Brian McKenna-type radio.

just joshin' you old coots. :) i'm sure i'll care one day. radio is so pre-ironic. i think?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, sports and politics are never discussed together. You never hear questions like...

Should the Cardinals have gotten tax money to help finance the stadium?

Should SLU have gotten a tax break on Chaifetz?

Should the city/county/state build a new stadium for the Rams?

Should the city tax bonus money of players in the All Star game?

roy brought up an interesting point about the structure of the NCAA. You can choose to ignore the 4 or 5 posts related to this if you like.

I'm guessing you're a fan of Brian McKenna-type radio.

Then there's this question:

Should we take any statement by Jimbo so seriously? He wasn't really making an especially critical remark. He might tease, but I doubt he's advocating a full moratorium against every topic with any shred of political overtone.

i have long believed the reason college basketball is so popular is because of the naive shadow that it is somehow about amateurs and purity. if it was about good basketball players the fans would watch more nba.

thus, any steps to magnify the student athlete/purity angle will only make the game more popular. the real reason it will never be cleaned up is that the big programs hold all the power. they have a majority on the rules committee and thus nothing changes unless the bcs schools say it is going to change. and if the big schools hold the power and make the rules they will continue to get the best recruiting coaches and make all the money and remain on top.

You are right about that. Not only have they done it in college football, look at what they have done to the NCAA Tournament selection process. After George Mason's run they have cut the number of non-BCS at-large bids in half most years. They are rigging the system.

You are right about that. Not only have they done it in college football, look at what they have done to the NCAA Tournament selection process. After George Mason's run they have cut the number of non-BCS at-large bids in half most years. They are rigging the system.

exactly, if the bcs schools only comprise of approximately 20% of the total schools in division 1, why do they have a majority of the votes for the rules committee?

exactly, if the bcs schools only comprise of approximately 20% of the total schools in division 1, why do they have a majority of the votes for the rules committee?

What percentage of the total revenue in D1 do the BCS schools represent? I think that will answer your question.

Here's the selection committee from 2008-09: http://www.bracketography.com/selection-committee/

40% of its members represent BCS schools or conferences.

Here's the rules committee: http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees...eeName=MBBRULES

Only 2 of 12 members are from BCS conferences.

Where is this "majority" of the votes you're talking about?

Here's the selection committee from 2008-09: http://www.bracketography.com/selection-committee/

40% of its members represent BCS schools or conferences.

Here's the rules committee: http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees...eeName=MBBRULES

Only 2 of 12 members are from BCS conferences.

Where is this "majority" of the votes you're talking about?

i obviously have the wrong name for the committee i am talking about. the committee i am thinking deals only in d-1 issues. the one you are showing shows members from d-1, d-2, and d-3.

Let's talk about the Erin Andrews video that surfaced on the innerwebs this weekend.

I hate to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but I hope no one posts a link to that here. That video was shot through the peep hole of her hotel room without he permission. I hope the person gets caught and busted

I hate to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but I hope no one posts a link to that here. That video was shot through the peep hole of her hotel room without he permission. I hope the person gets caught and busted

It is pretty gangster. I have a good amount of respect for people in the spotlight that manage to stay out of it for the most part. Low class stuff, whoever did it. Erin Andrews will do Playboy when she's damn good and ready. Heck, she might never do it now. Probably traumatized.

Can anyone get some peephole footage of a Billikens' practice?

i obviously have the wrong name for the committee i am talking about. the committee i am thinking deals only in d-1 issues. the one you are showing shows members from d-1, d-2, and d-3.

Yes, the link I posted was to the NCAA men's basketball rules committee. I wasn't aware of another rules committee.

Why? Because they can. It's like the PGA trying to give orders to Tiger Woods. He can just quit the PGA tour and play in any tourney he desires on a sponsor's exemption or make a gazzion dollars playing in Europe. The BCS schools could leave the NCAA and form their own athletic governing body if they so desire. In a word, leverage. Life isn't fair and neither is college athletics. But we still watch anyway.

Why? Because they can. It's like the PGA trying to give orders to Tiger Woods. He can just quit the PGA tour and play in any tourney he desires on a sponsor's exemption or make a gazzion dollars playing in Europe. The BCS schools could leave the NCAA and form their own athletic governing body if they so desire. In a word, leverage. Life isn't fair and neither is college athletics. But we still watch anyway.

Just watched an interview with Beal on youtube done by Daniel Poneman. Beal says that his final five schools are Florida, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and Purdue. When asked why, he said that those schools had been with him since he was a freshman. He also said that he wants to go to a school that has a chance to win a national title.