Brad Beal

NH

I am not sure when that interview is from, but it is at least nice to see him still mentioning SLU especially when it is in the company of schools like Kansas, Florida, Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State, Texas, and UNC. It is interesting to see that he did not mention Mizzou.

I noticed all of that, too.

What?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure when that interview is from, but it is at least nice to see him still mentioning SLU especially when it is in the company of schools like Kansas, Florida, Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State, Texas, and UNC. It is interesting to see that he did not mention Mizzou.

the article is from today

• 2 weeks later...

kelvin lee (beal's coach) was a SLU assistant under Spoon. Does anyone know what his feelings are on Beal going here?

I read an article today where Beal is quoted as saying that Florida is his leader. Sorry I don't have the link. I will find it and post it, if possible.

Well, you either get a recruit or you don't. Danny Ferry mentioned SLU for awhile but didn't commit. Almost doesn't count for anything at all.

The plus side of this is that RM at least has a back-up plan. Our last two coaches never seemed to have a plan B when it came to recruiting. Romar came in second place with a few players, but never produced the big fish in a Billiken uniform.

Well, you either get a recruit or you don't. Danny Ferry mentioned SLU for awhile but didn't commit. Almost doesn't count for anything at all.

The plus side of this is that RM at least has a back-up plan. Our last two coaches never seemed to have a plan B when it came to recruiting. Romar came in second place with a few players, but never produced the big fish in a Billiken uniform.

I was just saying that I am glad to see a quote from Beal where he mentions us as being on his short list and does not mention the nearest BCS program. The odds of us getting him are likley very slim, but as long as we are still in the discussion there is always a chance. I talked to a couple of athletes at Chaminade over a month ago and they were under the impression Beal was going to commit to KU, so I wonder if something changed or he just decided to hold off.

I read an article today where Beal is quoted as saying that Florida is his leader. Sorry I don't have the link. I will find it and post it, if possible.

Rivals believes he eliminated Florida and it will be down to Kansas, SLU, and Illinois, with KU having only a slight lead. It's awesome that Rick and company has gotten this far. Really if you think about it why would a kid who wants to go to the NBA want to show off his skills in the Big 10.

Biancardi on Beal

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/...tory?id=4326159

See you in St. Louis

A pair of St. Louis prospects made noise on Monday. For 2011 standout Bradley Beal (St. Louis/Chaminade), the game seemed effortless. His game is smooth with little wasted movement. He scores in a variety of ways: He makes long-range shots, puts the ball on the floor to attack the rim and shoots the pull-up jump shot. He uses a hesitation move to keep the defense off balance, and explodes with a first step that covers a lot of ground in a hurry. He does not force the issue, letting the game come to him. Beal's basketball intelligence and skills make him one of the country's best for 2011.

Beal's St. Louis Eagles club teammate Roosevelt Jones (O'Fallon, Ill.) was an impressive on Day 2. He is a hard-working, high energy wing player who is always attacking in transition. He pursues the basketball relentlessly at both ends of the floor. Jones seems to be in the right place at the right time on the offensive glass for easy second-chance baskets. He gets his hands on the basketball as much as possible on the defensive end, and his deflections and steals led the St. Louis Eagles to a dominating second half performance in its monday matchup.

Rivals believes he eliminated Florida and it will be down to Kansas, SLU, and Illinois, with KU having only a slight lead. It's awesome that Rick and company has gotten this far. Really if you think about it why would a kid who wants to go to the NBA want to show off his skills in the Big 10.

How can SLU still be in the running since we are not recruiting Beal?? ;)

I'm only passing on info from that site. Whatever Rick is doing I hope he keeps it up becasue Beal would be that one guy that could put SLU on par with XU.

Well, as much as I would like it to be down to KU, Illinois, and SLU, I have to at least consider the words that come directly from Beal's mouth in an article from just a couple of days ago. "You've got to say that Florida is my leader," Beal said, adding that sometime between now and the end of the summer he will go public with a commitment. Florida's position at the top of the leader board could be solidified on August 1 when Beal attends Billy Donavan's Elite Camp.

"It looks good for Florida. They've got everything that I am looking for."

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?...910&style=2

Go down the page a bit to find the excerpts in celtic's post.

As for why Beal would want to play in the Big Ten, how about 6 preseason top 25 teams this coming year? Big Ten was down a bit for a couple of years, even though it had multiple teams in the Final Four and the championship game, but the league will be loaded with talent over the next few years. Look at the recruits the league is bringing in.

How many of these other local kids are listing SLU as a possibility? I'm seeing a lot of names in articles where Beal's name pops up, and I'm wondering about them:

Roosevelt Jones

Shaquille Boga

Kony Ealy

Hunter Ward

Karl Madison

How legit are these guys? I miss having STL Hoops Insider around for this kind of stuff; I know he's mentioned a few of these guys but I'd like to see an update because the info I can find is spotty.

Guest BillikenReport

How many of these other local kids are listing SLU as a possibility? I'm seeing a lot of names in articles where Beal's name pops up, and I'm wondering about them:

Roosevelt Jones

Shaquille Boga

Kony Ealy

Hunter Ward

Karl Madison

How legit are these guys? I miss having STL Hoops Insider around for this kind of stuff; I know he's mentioned a few of these guys but I'd like to see an update because the info I can find is spotty.

I think SLU started recruiting Jones this summer. Ealy will likely be a D-1 football guy. I've heard Madison linked with some BCS schools, like Stanford. Not sure how much recruiting attention SLU has paid to Boga. I know Southern Illinois has recruited him very hard and was the first to offer. Ward is a guy who has come on this summer with the Eagles. Not sure who is recruiting him.

The STLHoopsInsider website is still up and running under new management.

I think SLU started recruiting Jones this summer. Ealy will likely be a D-1 football guy. I've heard Madison linked with some BCS schools, like Stanford. Not sure how much recruiting attention SLU has paid to Boga. I know Southern Illinois has recruited him very hard and was the first to offer. Ward is a guy who has come on this summer with the Eagles. Not sure who is recruiting him.

The STLHoopsInsider website is still up and running under new management.

Ward has an offer from Semo and is getting some looks from similar schools including Siu-E.

Ealy is definitely going to play football, he may try to play both, but he will absolutely play football (if he has the grades and rumors are he does)

do you have a link?

i am surprised to read about roosevelt jones. while i have noticed his d-1 body, he hasnt performed at a level that made me believe he was headed in that direction in the numerous times i have seen him the last two years and there are plenty of returning southwestern conference and other southern illinois players i would have expected such praise before i would have given you jones name.

that said, jones will only be a junior this coming school year and it isnt beyond belief that his game would catch up to his body and he would break out. good for him. i am looking forward to seeking his next level this coming winter.

Guest BillikenReport

i am surprised to read about roosevelt jones. while i have noticed his d-1 body, he hasnt performed at a level that made me believe he was headed in that direction in the numerous times i have seen him the last two years and there are plenty of returning southwestern conference and other southern illinois players i would have expected such praise before i would have given you jones name.

that said, jones will only be a junior this coming school year and it isnt beyond belief that his game would catch up to his body and he would break out. good for him. i am looking forward to seeking his next level this coming winter.

Roy,

Jones is having a breakout summer with the Eagles.

He was the MVP of the Eagles Invitational for the U16 age group — ahead of teammates Bradley Beal, Shaquille Boga, Phil Kunz and others — and has played well in other events. The reports I've received say that even though he's not a good perimeter shooter, he's doing everything else well (rebounding, defending, etc).

It has to help him that he's playing on a team with good talent around him at SG (Beal), PG (Boga) and up front (Kunz).

Excerpts from a rivals story today, from the North Carolina site:

Duke and North Carolina are newcomers in a recruitment that is just starting to take off.

When asked about the schools he's considering, Beal mentioned Kansas, Florida, Illinois, Purdue, Missouri, Minnesota, Texas, Ohio State, and Wake Forest.

there were rumors that Beal was close to verbally committing to Florida in the coming weeks.

"I'm not sure what I'm going to do," he said. "Yeah, I keep in touch with everybody really, but they (Florida) are not the only school that I'm close to. I'm hoping to make it (my decision) sometime at the end of the summer."

The rest of the article talks about how if UNC offered he might consider them.

This kid is all over the map. He doesn't know what he wants yet, which is understandable since he's 16.

Excerpts from a rivals story today, from the North Carolina site:

Duke and North Carolina are newcomers in a recruitment that is just starting to take off.

When asked about the schools he's considering, Beal mentioned Kansas, Florida, Illinois, Purdue, Missouri, Minnesota, Texas, Ohio State, and Wake Forest.

there were rumors that Beal was close to verbally committing to Florida in the coming weeks.

"I'm not sure what I'm going to do," he said. "Yeah, I keep in touch with everybody really, but they (Florida) are not the only school that I'm close to. I'm hoping to make it (my decision) sometime at the end of the summer."

The rest of the article talks about how if UNC offered he might consider them.

This kid is all over the map. He doesn't know what he wants yet, which is understandable since he's 16.

i am sure donovan or self will tell him what he wants.

gosh i hate this aspect of college sports.

Roy, stop being a Dick! You don't know how either of these great coaches work.

i needed that laugh. thanks. maybe self will tell branden about the great walkons that kansas has year after year. that would be impressive to beal.