Will Mizzou ever win another Bragin Rights Game

brianstl

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched this game. Mizzou looked terrible. Absolutely terrible. They couldn't run plays. They couldn't hit shots. They couldn't hit the 3 ball. I felt bad for the Mizzou fans. They had absolutely nothing to cheer for. Their next few games get a little easier, so they'll be fine. But some of these Big 12 teams--Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas A&M, etc--will completely destroy Mizzou if they keep playing the way they did.

Illinois absolutely dominated the entire game from the outset.

I will say that this "Busch Bragging Rights" in Saint Louis idea is pretty neat...

It is, but don't look for the Busch sponsorship to last long. Apparently all the 'Busch' gear in the gift shop is not being re-stocked once it sells. Perhaps a phasing out of that brand is imminent...

I will say that this "Busch Bragging Rights" in Saint Louis idea is pretty neat...

I agree - it's always been a fun Christmas-time tradition around here. The two schools now play the "Arch Rivalry" game in football at the Edward Jones Dome as well.

Watching last night's game, I kept thinking, "I'm so glad we don't play at Scottrade any more."

I watched this game. Mizzou looked terrible. Absolutely terrible. They couldn't run plays. They couldn't hit shots. They couldn't hit the 3 ball. I felt bad for the Mizzou fans. They had absolutely nothing to cheer for. Their next few games get a little easier, so they'll be fine. But some of these Big 12 teams--Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas A&M, etc--will completely destroy Mizzou if they keep playing the way they did.

Illinois absolutely dominated the entire game from the outset.

Notice anything about all those Big 12 teams? They are all in the South and Mizzou only has to play them once. The Big 12 North is awfully weak this year and there isn't a North team other than Mizzou ranked in the top 100 of the RPI (full disclaimer about the RPI not being perfect).

Mizzou will have a tough time not winning 9 games this year in that watered down division which should lead toa 21-9 regular season.

Still can't get over the fact last night's game wasn't sold out. Man how times and the economy have changed.

Notice anything about all those Big 12 teams? They are all in the South and Mizzou only has to play them once. The Big 12 North is awfully weak this year and there isn't a North team other than Mizzou ranked in the top 100 of the RPI (full disclaimer about the RPI not being perfect).

Mizzou will have a tough time not winning 9 games this year in that watered down division which should lead toa 21-9 regular season.

Still can't get over the fact last night's game wasn't sold out. Man how times and the economy have changed.

Iowa state lost at home last night to south dakota state university. next to iowas state missouri looks like a final four team.

I don't know if Kansas is ranked top 100 RPI, but I think they will win the north. I watched on ESPN and they indicated Illinois had won the last 8 match ups in a row. The announcer laughed about this so call rivalry and seemed to suggest it should be ended. Lack of fan support confirms the obvious.

But it also got me thinking when was the last time SLU was ranked? I know it has been a while.

According to this site http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/saint-louis/rank , the last time SLU was ranked in the FINAL AP poll as #24 at the end of the 93-94 season. As far as being ranked during the season, I'm not sure. When was the last time we even got any votes?

I don't know if Kansas is ranked top 100 RPI, but I think they will win the north. I watched on ESPN and they indicated Illinois had won the last 8 match ups in a row. The announcer laughed about this so call rivalry and seemed to suggest it should be ended. Lack of fan support confirms the obvious.

19,500 in a 22,000 or so seat building (given the economy, the weather and the fact that a good number of the fans of one school are departing for a football bowl game in a better climate) actually doesn't sound too bad. Since Ron Zook wants to end the football series where Missouri has won 4 in a row and 14 of 20 all-time, you could see both football and basketball go back to on-campus home and home games in the near future. Of course the city will try to counter that with more money and perks for the schools since they definitely don't want to lose the two biggest college events of the year .

I would normally agree, but in two years under Anderson Mizzou has always been much better in the the non-conference (11-3, 10-6) than they have been in conference (7-9, 6-10). They haven't played a road game all year and they will only play one non-conference road game all year. With the exception of Kansas the Big 12 North has been down for the previous two seasons and that has't helped Mizzou. Sorry, but I am not buying the Tigers finishing above .500 in the Big 12. With there inability to hit clutch free-throws and the fact they don't have anyone who can create and hit his own jumpshot I would be suprised if they win more than one road Big 12 game.

19,500 in a 22,000 or so seat building (given the economy, the weather and the fact that a good number of the fans of one school are departing for a football bowl game in a better climate) actually doesn't sound too bad. Since Ron Zook wants to end the football series where Missouri has won 4 in a row and 14 of 20 all-time, you could see both football and basketball go back to on-campus home and home games in the near future. Of course the city will try to counter that with more money and perks for the schools since they definitely don't want to lose the two biggest college events of the year .

Great to see the excuses and spin have not let up un this bad economy for these two "football" schools. How many Alumni from both schools are locals? Can't sell out the building for two (2) "home" schools? Then, again, Mizzou cannot sell out the Hearnes Center unless KU comes to town. Are these also the same fans whom the local media (paper and TV) caters to? Good stuff.

As a Billiken fan, would love to see the end of the series. Then, both might have a reason to come to St. Louis - to play our Bills.

BTW, am certain our Bills would have beaten the Illini at least once these past 9 years.

Great to see the excuses and spin have not let up un this bad economy for these two "football" schools. How many Alumni from both schools are locals? Can't sell out the building for two (2) "home" schools? Then, again, Mizzou cannot sell out the Hearnes Center unless KU comes to town. Are these also the same fans whom the local media (paper and TV) caters to? Good stuff.

As a Billiken fan, would love to see the end of the series. Then, both might have a reason to come to St. Louis - to play our Bills.

BTW, am certain our Bills would have beaten the Illini at least once these past 9 years.

You're probably one of the SLU fandom who chose to ignore my post a few weeks ago ( when you were dissing Missouri) regarding the 2007 Forbes article on the "Most Profitable NCAA Basketball Teams". Had you read it, you would have known that Missouri ranks 12th on that list because of over $4MM in premium seating revenues. The building may not "sell out" but there's a lot of sold seats unused and it's generating pleny of revenue. In the meantime, you've opened the doors on a much smaller venue and are drawing about 60% of capacity with lots of complaints about crappy food, exorbitant prices and seats so narrow one fan has told me he'd "like to see RM get his fat a$$ in one". It's both sad and comical to watch you guys scramble to find the game on the radio or the internet. Good stuff.

You're probably one of the SLU fandom who chose to ignore my post a few weeks ago ( when you were dissing Missouri) regarding the 2007 Forbes article on the "Most Profitable NCAA Basketball Teams". Had you read it, you would have known that Missouri ranks 12th on that list because of over $4MM in premium seating revenues. The building may not "sell out" but there's a lot of sold seats unused and it's generating pleny of revenue. In the meantime, you've opened the doors on a much smaller venue and are drawing about 60% of capacity with lots of complaints about crappy food, exorbitant prices and seats so narrow one fan has told me he'd "like to see RM get his fat a$$ in one". It's both sad and comical to watch you guys scramble to find the game on the radio or the internet. Good stuff.

thanks for coming to our board to tell us how great MU is and how crappy SLU is. alwasy nice to have the MU faithful flex their muscles over here.

Those premium seating revenues are based on past years. Sometimes there is a lag but when you continually don't sell out the arena it makes it much harder to keep charging crazy amounts for seats that people aren't using. Maybe the folks from Columbia can just poop gold coins and don't care if they aren't using those seats but I suspect in this economy that attitude won't last. Its forward looking revenue that should matter for MU basketball and the picture is not pretty.

Another way to describe the Mizzou/Illini non sell-out: a game that in past years would sell out in minutes and was the "hottest ticket in town" couldn't even get 10,000 Mizzou fans to attend despite it being the most attractive non-conference opponent they will play in the states.

The fact SLU can get 5,500 or so people to see them play Liberty but MU can't draw 10,000 of their own fans to see the biggest game of the season is pretty amazing.

i'm amused that mi$$ouri fans still feel the need to visit our board to remind us how superior (they think) mi$$ouri is to slu.

let me know when the billiken fans flood tigerboard. until then, for some strange reason you still feel the need to tell us you are awesome. hillarious. have fun watching your street ball and 1 team this year.

i'm amused that mi$$ouri fans still feel the need to visit our board to remind us how superior (they think) mi$$ouri is to slu.

let me know when the billiken fans flood tigerboard. until then, for some strange reason you still feel the need to tell us you are awesome. hillarious. have fun watching your street ball and 1 team this year.

I am having fun, except for Illinois. You, however, it seems, not so much. Now, if you look at the title of the thread, it seems like an open invite to chime in. Ergo, I make a few pointed, comparative posts. As far as billiken fans on the Tigerboard, they're there, actually more than I am. I prefer the other three or four Missouri message boards where there isn't the "fake" Missouri fan posting with a MU tag but actually being a fan of another school like ku or.. . You will see KU and UI fans talking smack and that's what rivals do. Do you call what happens here "flooding" your board? You're in for a rude awakening if you ever develop a rivalry.

I am having fun, except for Illinois. You, however, it seems, not so much. Now, if you look at the title of the thread, it seems like an open invite to chime in. Ergo, I make a few pointed, comparative posts. As far as billiken fans on the Tigerboard, they're there, actually more than I am. I prefer the other three or four Missouri message boards where there isn't the "fake" Missouri fan posting with a MU tag but actually being a fan of another school like ku or.. . You will see KU and UI fans talking smack and that's what rivals do. Do you call what happens here "flooding" your board? You're in for a rude awakening if you ever develop a rivalry.

Don't get too excited about your basketball team just yet. You might want to play a road game first.

Just so you know, we are again averaging more fans a game than your team and its misleading record.

Most of those seats are sold - just not used. You see two can play that game.