Poor Post-Dispatch Coverage

isotope

It is my perception that the Post-Dispatch coverage of SLU men's basketball is not high on the newspaper list to say the least and that we rank well below Mizzou, Illinois, and high school sports. This downward trend has been occurring for at least four or five years. The only reporter who has any interest in men's basketball is Timmerman. He does a relatively nice job through his blog site.

I thought Miklasz was favorable towards SLU until I read Bernie's derogatory comment about SLU sports and alluded to the topic as trash or garbage (or something similar - sorry it was awhile ago that I read Bernie's derogatory comment). I no longer read Bernie's material in the Post-Dispatch for this reason. Perhaps he doesn't like the way SLU funds/supports its sports teams, but his derogatory comments about SLU ,and by association the SLU fans, turned me off. I thought he sociallized with Majerus.

Is there so much more interest in Mizzou, Illinois, and high school sports than SLU basketball that we get almost no coverage?

I'm not getting into comparisons among programs at all, but the coverage of basketball in the Post-Dispatch has really sunk. Even if they don't want to write copy to preview the game, they should at least publish projected starting lineups and scoring averages. That's important data for the fans to have going into the game.

It is my perception that the Post-Dispatch coverage of SLU men's basketball is not high on the newspaper list to say the least and that we rank well below Mizzou, Illinois, and high school sports. This downward trend has been occurring for at least four or five years. The only reporter who has any interest in men's basketball is Timmerman. He does a relatively nice job through his blog site.

I thought Miklasz was favorable towards SLU until I read Bernie's derogatory comment about SLU sports and alluded to the topic as trash or garbage (or something similar - sorry it was awhile ago that I read Bernie's derogatory comment). I no longer read Bernie's material in the Post-Dispatch for this reason. Perhaps he doesn't like the way SLU funds/supports its sports teams, but his derogatory comments about SLU ,and by association the SLU fans, turned me off. I thought he sociallized with Majerus.

Is there so much more interest in Mizzou, Illinois, and high school sports than SLU basketball that we get almost no coverage?

Ummmm...not to be rude or anything, but this topic has been covered repeatedly on here. SLU's write-up today was actually better than it has been for the past two Saturdays, believe it or not.

Ummmm...not to be rude or anything, but this topic has been covered repeatedly on here. SLU's write-up today was actually better than it has been for the past two Saturdays, believe it or not.

Sorry if I am rehashing an old topic. I have only become an active reader this past year and even then have been somewhat sporadic. Today's Post-Dispatch coverage was very good for the Billikens and the A-10. Sorry.

Sorry if I am rehashing an old topic. I have only become an active reader this past year and even then have been somewhat sporadic. Today's Post-Dispatch coverage was very good for the Billikens and the A-10. Sorry.

Use the on line Post. This is where the papers nationwide are trending. Christian Science Monitor and the Detroit papers are ceasing daily print editions. These papers will only print part of the week. Lee Enterprises is a likely candidate for merger according to the Wall Street Journal. Because of the recession these types of changes are likely to occur more quickly than if the economy was healthy. I would like to see Timmerman get player interviews and statements more often and post them on line.

The problem "plaguing" the Post- or sports radio in StL- stems from a combination of two intertwined issues. First is, of course, budget which makes covering a winner relatively hugely important- thus the big coverage over the last couple of years on Mizzou football. Losing and so-so teams are not high on the list of important issues at the Post right now.

The second issue is that the "opinion media" like BM and the sports talkers, are not journalists in the normal sense but massive frontrunners. That is why there was a burst of excitement with Majerus' naming as coach. Since that flurry is long gone, they are left with our so-so team which gives them neither the opportunity to dream that "there is something out there MUCH better than that dork Soderberg" nor to parasite off a big winner and take credit for how prescient they were to call for this state of affairs.

Believe many are trying to read too much into the decision-making process of the Post. Once a proud and complete newspaper, the current paper is a shell or shadow of its past. Years of poor management, a changing readership base, current non-local ownership and the gutting of all the sections of the paper have left us with an embarrasing paper. Events of all types, with sports being only are part, are barely covered. When's the last time the Post broke a story or its readership were interested to learn the Post's interpretation of a story? If only Billiken basketball was being slighted, then there would be hope for change/brighter days.

Believe many are trying to read too much into the decision-making process of the Post. Once a proud and complete newspaper, the current paper is a shell or shadow of its past. Years of poor management, a changing readership base, current non-local ownership and the gutting of all the sections of the paper have left us with an embarrasing paper. Events of all types, with sports being only are part, are barely covered. When's the last time the Post broke a story or its readership were interested to learn the Post's interpretation of a story? If only Billiken basketball was being slighted, then there would be hope for change/brighter days.

Sad but true. But hey, it's easier to blame the internet for all that's wrong with this (and every troubled) newspaper than to look at management decisions and quality.

Use the on line Post. This is where the papers nationwide are trending. Christian Science Monitor and the Detroit papers are ceasing daily print editions. These papers will only print part of the week. Lee Enterprises is a likely candidate for merger according to the Wall Street Journal. Because of the recession these types of changes are likely to occur more quickly than if the economy was healthy. I would like to see Timmerman get player interviews and statements more often and post them on line.

The Post is worse than any other major market newspaper I've seen in recent years. I had the opportunity to read a print copy of Saturday's P-D when I came home this weekend, and it's alarming how poor the overall content and format of the paper are. It's a big step down from the Cincinnati Enquirer, which has a poor reputation here. Just an awful all-around paper, and I'm embarrassed for St. Louis.

That said, I was happy to see we got the write-up over Mizzou this weekend.

The Post is worse than any other major market newspaper I've seen in recent years. I had the opportunity to read a print copy of Saturday's P-D when I came home this weekend, and it's alarming how poor the overall content and format of the paper are. It's a big step down from the Cincinnati Enquirer, which has a poor reputation here. Just an awful all-around paper, and I'm embarrassed for St. Louis.

That said, I was happy to see we got the write-up over Mizzou this weekend.

I kind of feel sorry for the struggles and maybe death throws of the PD. Politically the PD is pretty horrific to my way of thinking but a first rate town and even one aspiring to be first rate needs a decent paper or two.

My wife freelances for the Post and has recently heard initial responses from new editors such as: Your story is a good read but I don't know if we can buy it. They eventually did buy it but the machinery at the Post seems to be missing a few important cogs.

Actually, I have no problem with the "political" aspect of the PD. In fact they have gotten more conservative since Lee bought them. If you follow politics closely, the StL area is a lot more liberal then some of you think. Why do you think Obama did so well in our area? Enough of the politics - I do hate to think that we will not even have one paper being printed in this town but I guess it is possible.

The only question I have is why the last two games were there not a picture from the game to accompany the story? They had a picture of IL and MU's game. I guess the PD did not even bother to send a photographer to the games or even a freelance guy for that matter.

Actually, I have no problem with the "political" aspect of the PD. In fact they have gotten more conservative since Lee bought them. If you follow politics closely, the StL area is a lot more liberal then some of you think. Why do you think Obama did so well in our area? Enough of the politics - I do hate to think that we will not even have one paper being printed in this town but I guess it is possible.

The only question I have is why the last two games were there not a picture from the game to accompany the story? They had a picture of IL and MU's game. I guess the PD did not even bother to send a photographer to the games or even a freelance guy for that matter.

My assessment of the P-D had absolutely nothing to do with political viewpoints, as I think most papers are owned by relatively conservative corporations and staffed by mostly liberal journalists- just the way things are. I just look at that paper and it feels shockingly thin on substance, looks amateurish in its layout, and has an overall poor quality to it. There are also minimal photos/graphics as you point out, and I'm guessing this is because those would take away from ad space.

This is to take away nothing from Bonwich and Timmerman, who do great jobs and fight uphill battles.

It seems like we always had photos from the AP. Maybe the PD doesn't want to pay for them any longer or as often....

Are people just realizing this now? Where have you been? This site and Sporting News and other interWeb sites have way better SLU hoops coverage than the P-D. The only way the P-D could be any better would be to deliver it in the form of a urinal cake so we could read it while taking a piss and on the crapper.

My assessment of the P-D had absolutely nothing to do with political viewpoints, as I think most papers are owned by relatively conservative corporations and staffed by mostly liberal journalists- just the way things are. I just look at that paper and it feels shockingly thin on substance, looks amateurish in its layout, and has an overall poor quality to it. There are also minimal photos/graphics as you point out, and I'm guessing this is because those would take away from ad space.

This is to take away nothing from Bonwich and Timmerman, who do great jobs and fight uphill battles.

I agree with you.

I would say it is definitely Democratic, but not actually liberal. I wouldn't call the south city Catholic democrats, south county Catholic democrats, white north side democrats exactly liberal. They vote Democrat because of unions and because that is basically what they have done their whole life. They, also, have had a history of crossing the aisle when social issue are front and center in state and national elections.

I would say it is definitely Democratic, but not actually liberal. I wouldn't call the south city Catholic democrats, south county Catholic democrats, white north side democrats exactly liberal. They vote Democrat because of unions and because that is basically what they have done their whole life. They, also, have had a history of crossing the aisle when social issue are front and center in state and national elections.

You are placing old labels on areas. Things have changed and if you look at the voting records for areas in StL over the last two elections, you will see that we have tended to vote more center left then you think. Until this year, the union vote has not been automatically democratic in our area. This year, the unions went democratic because of the economy. We do agree about the PD's position.