Would Lisch and Liddell be Billikens if...?

Lisch, yes. Liddell, no.

I think, hypothetically, when Liddell didn't qualify, had to go to prep school and then was allegedly recruited by Lon Kreuger and UNLV, Majerus would have cut the strings. [edited] The palm-balls, the mental mistakes killed us yesterday. My Dad, who was watching the game with me at an area Buffalo Wild Wings asked me repeatedly why he even plays Liddell.

The way Majerus swoons over Lisch makes me believe he would have put on a Nebraska-esque full-court press for Lisch's services. Lisch is exactly the type of player Majerus wants to recruit and mold into a player who gives 110% on the court, is a leader and makes everyone around him play better. I bet Majerus told Reuben a thousand times to "watch Kevin." Cotto had a good game yesterday, so maybe that is paying off.

We definitely know our strengths and weaknesses following the UNL game. Let's hope we can Rock Detroit.

I think Majerus would have definitely recruited Lisch. Tommie would have at least gotten a significant look from Majerus based on his talent, but remember he didn't qualify out of high school and had to go to prep school, so maybe Rick might not have recruited Tommie as strongly as Brad on the possibility that he might qualify.

Who really knows though.

Lisch, yes. Liddell, no.

I think, hypothetically, when Liddell didn't qualify, had to go to prep school and then was allegedly recruited by Lon Kreuger and UNLV, Majerus would have cut the strings. [Edited] The palm-balls, the mental mistakes killed us yesterday. My Dad, who was watching the game with me at an area Buffalo Wild Wings asked me repeatedly why he even plays Liddell.

The way Majerus swoons over Lisch makes me believe he would have put on a Nebraska-esque full-court press for Lisch's services. Lisch is exactly the type of player Majerus wants to recruit and mold into a player who gives 110% on the court, is a leader and makes everyone around him play better. I bet Majerus told Reuben a thousand times to "watch Kevin." Cotto had a good game yesterday, so maybe that is paying off.

We definitely know our strengths and weaknesses following the UNL game. Let's hope we can Rock Detroit.

I think your comments on Tommie are classless.

Lisch, yes. Liddell, no.

I think, hypothetically, when Liddell didn't qualify, had to go to prep school and then was allegedly recruited by Lon Kreuger and UNLV, Majerus would have cut the strings. Liddell has basketball IQ The palm-balls, the mental mistakes killed us yesterday. My Dad, who was watching the game with me at an area Buffalo Wild Wings asked me repeatedly why he even plays Liddell.

I do not know if you are a new poster or one of the trolls who keep coming back under new names but your personal comments about Tommie at insulting and ridiculous and I would hope that you would go back and edit this post. I have edited your post in my response to eliminate the objectionable comment. The one thing I am most proud of about Tommie is that he came from a very difficult academic situation where he was not prepared for real college classes but he worked hard and he is going to graduate and he had to take real classes to get it done, not the cupcake classes for athletes at most schools. Sure he did not play well but that does not justify your attack.

Lisch, yes. Liddell, no.

I think, hypothetically, when Liddell didn't qualify, had to go to prep school and then was allegedly recruited by Lon Kreuger and UNLV, Majerus would have cut the strings. [edited] The palm-balls, the mental mistakes killed us yesterday. My Dad, who was watching the game with me at an area Buffalo Wild Wings asked me repeatedly why he even plays Liddell.

was this your Dad's first basketball game? or is he really just clueless? I'm presuming you gave him the heads up though. Tommie has his faults, but there aren't 25 schools in the country that don't take him today.

I know this has probably been discussed on the board, however I never saw it so I'm curious to get some reactions. Do you all think Majerus would have recruited Liddell and Lisch? Why or Why not?

There is no doubt that RM would have recruited Kevin. With Tommie, I think he would have wanted him as a player, the question wouldn't have been was TL ready at that time to go to SLU, it would have been did RM think Tommie had the ability and desire to make it academically at SLU. If he felt he did, and it turned out he obviously did, he's have recruited him. No one at the level SLU's at now or was at then turns down a player of Tommie's caliber and potential if he believes he can make the grades. Hell, most don't even if they are sure he can't make the grades.

this is a discussion topic that can only result in negative what ifs and wild speculation imo. we shouldnt even try to guess imo and should be thrilled and apprciative that they are both billikens now and forever.

There is no doubt that RM would have recruited Kevin. With Tommie, I think he would have wanted him as a player, the question wouldn't have been was TL ready at that time to go to SLU, it would have been did RM think Tommie had the ability and desire to make it academically at SLU. If he felt he did, and it turned out he obviously did, he's have recruited him. No one at the level SLU's at now or was at then turns down a player of Tommie's caliber and potential if he believes he can make the grades. Hell, most don't even if they are sure he can't make the grades.

RM would have recruited KLand waited for TL to get through Hargrave and welcomed him w/ open arms. He'd have been an idiot not to. I also think if TL had four years under RM we'd be seeing a different TL III. One game does not a season make, so let's tread lightly here and avoid these posts that have a malicious sub text smell about them.

this is a discussion topic that can only result in negative what ifs and wild speculation imo. we shouldnt even try to guess imo and should be thrilled and apprciative that they are both billikens now and forever.

How does that differ from your, "Lisch is the best player, I want Lisch taking the last shot argument, not Tommie" argument from a couple days ago?

Both are stupid discussions in my opinion that only point out the negatives of our two best players.

Lisch, yes. Liddell, no.

You have got to be kidding,right

The REAL question is would Kevin and Tommy have come here if they knew Majerus was going to be their coach

I actually stand by my comments because I'm a classmate of Lisch's and have been here for the entire Lisch-Liddell era. Lisch, for all that he has sacrificed -- emotionally, physically and mentally -- to this program should have his number lifted to the rafters of Chaifetz Arena. We will never see a warrior like Kevin Lisch again in a Billiken uniform. He is a player ANY college coach would want -- maybe not talent wise -- but by sheer desire and heart. His intangibles and coachability are worthy of 5-star Scout.com status. You'll have to get this kid off the court in a stretcher if you want to take him out of the game.

Go ahead and type in the same for Liddell. You can't.

I actually stand by my comments because I'm a classmate of Lisch's and have been here for the entire Lisch-Liddell era. Lisch, for all that he has sacrificed -- emotionally, physically and mentally -- to this program should have his number lifted to the rafters of Chaifetz Arena. We will never see a warrior like Kevin Lisch again in a Billiken uniform. He is a player ANY college coach would want -- maybe not talent wise -- but by sheer desire and heart. His intangibles and coachability are worthy of 5-star Scout.com status. You'll have to get this kid off the court in a stretcher if you want to take him out of the game.

Go ahead and type in the same for Liddell. You can't.

If you took TL ability and paired it with KL's desire... it would be scary.

What was the edited part? Tommie having a low basketball IQ?

I really can't argue with that statement.

I can take one of two things away from Liddell either a. he doesn't have the desire and know how to use his vast skills or b. we have overrated him substantially. I think I will go with A.

I am proud of Liddell though. He didn't qualify so he worked in prep school. He was courted by other schools but stayed true to SLU. He was a burgeoning star for Brad and Majerus turned his basketball world upside down. We've has seen a lot of knuckleheads who would have just quit the team, transferred, not even gone to college. Tommie never quit. He'll end his career as one of the better players to put on a SLU uniform and he'll have a college degree.

What was the edited part? Tommie having a low basketball IQ?

I really can't argue with that statement.

I can take one of two things away from Liddell either a. he doesn't have the desire and know how to use his vast skills or b. we have overrated him substantially. I think I will go with A.

I am proud of Liddell though. He didn't qualify so he worked in prep school. He was courted by other schools but stayed true to SLU. He was a burgeoning star for Brad and Majerus turned his basketball world upside down. We've has seen a lot of knuckleheads who would have just quit the team, transferred, not even gone to college. Tommie never quit. He'll end his career as one of the better players to put on a SLU uniform and he'll have a college degree.

There was a lot more said than that, the comments made were very insulting, and not basketball related. Why are users who post this type of crap not suspended?

What actually was the point of this thread? Both TL and KL are very good and being the senior leaders of the team both have a very important role on the team. Tommie came from a rough background and to do what he did and graduate from SLU is astounding...he may make mistakes but so do players like Tyler Hansbrough and Im pretty sure no one at UNC would ever criticize him...ever. People are people and theyre gonna screw up sometimes. I didnt read and bad posts about Tommie when he went for 19 pts and 14 boards against Kent St. so why now?

How does that differ from your, "Lisch is the best player, I want Lisch taking the last shot argument, not Tommie" argument from a couple days ago?

Both are stupid discussions in my opinion that only point out the negatives of our two best players.

are you kidding? my last shot question is about two future billiken hall of famers that indeed are mentioned hand in hand each and every game as to which one could win a game if it came down to it. that is the classic saturday morning barbershop kind of talk.

this thread forces comments about the chance a player(s) wouldnt like a coach and vice versa. unless the writer of an answer is skip (see skip's answer) it can only be taken badly about one or maybe both players and our coach.

What actually was the point of this thread? Both TL and KL are very good and being the senior leaders of the team both have a very important role on the team. Tommie came from a rough background and to do what he did and graduate from SLU is astounding...he may make mistakes but so do players like Tyler Hansbrough and Im pretty sure no one at UNC would ever criticize him...ever. People are people and theyre gonna screw up sometimes. I didnt read and bad posts about Tommie when he went for 19 pts and 14 boards against Kent St. so why now?

My intention for this thread was a discussion about whether or not Majerus would have recruited tommie or kevin. It seems to me that Majerus puts together his team based on their attributes and skills on the court in relation to his system. It seems as though Lisch is perfect in this system whereas IMO Liddell struggles a bit.

My intention for this thread was a discussion about whether or not Majerus would have recruited tommie or kevin. It seems to me that Majerus puts together his team based on their attributes and skills on the court in relation to his system. It seems as though Lisch is perfect in this system whereas IMO Liddell struggles a bit.

I will admit I have not been a die hard SLU fan but I have watched some games with Cassity on SLU you guys have gained a big fan base because Pinckneyville follows their players now that being said Instead of focusing on who would coach Majerus would have recurited we should focus on who he is recuriting

This class will be good seeing Cassity and Brett play in high school and with the freshman class this year in their Jr or Sr year SLU will be top in 5 if not top 3 of the A10

I will admit I have not been a die hard SLU fan but I have watched some games with Cassity on SLU you guys have gained a big fan base because Pinckneyville follows their players now that being said Instead of focusing on who would coach Majerus would have recurited we should focus on who he is recuriting

This class will be good seeing Cassity and Brett play in high school and with the freshman class this year in their Jr or Sr year SLU will be top in 5 if not top 3 of the A10

I think Majerus would have recruited both of them. He recruitied cotto and reid who both had a little trouble qualifying. Tommie would have been recruited, whether he would have committed I dont know. I think Tommie has a much bigger desire adn a much better basketball IQ than people give him credit for. This year and last he is always directing people on the court. Also watch the way he goes for rebounds someone without desire doesnt do that