OT: Lil Wayne

kevinfootes

It was terrible scheduling to have that concert the same night as the Arch Rivalry game. It is nice that Chaifetz was able to book the guy who is currently the biggest name in that music genre. I wonder if it will replace Scottrade as the prime location for those type of events.

Good point V. If SLU is in charge of scheduling all events (I can't imagine they wouldn't be), it doesn't surprise me they scheduled it on the same night. Business as usual.

didn't juvenile come out with “Back That Thang Up"?

Correct. I think Lil Wayne was featured on that though.

My wife's firm sent out an e-mail asking if anyone wanted to take clients to the concert using the firm's suite, which cracked me up for some reason. I wonder if anyone took the tickets...

It was terrible scheduling to have that concert the same night as the Arch Rivalry game. It is nice that Chaifetz was able to book the guy who is currently the biggest name in that music genre. I wonder if it will replace Scottrade as the prime location for those type of events.

SLU does not schedule the concerts per se - the concert promoter comes in and says we want to have a concert on such and such a day is the venue open. SLU says yes it is or no it is not here are some alternatives. The promoter says anything else going on in town that I need to know about - SLU says the IL/MO football game but that is sold out. Promoter says, cool I can handle that. It is the promoter whose money is on the line - SLU gets paid their rental fee. you want to complain about the conflict contact the promoter.

I wasn't knocking SLU. I just think it was bad scheduling by whomever booked the event because it was overshadowed by a bigger local draw the same night. Again I wasnt knocking SLU, I'm pretty sure they got their money upfront, it was bad scheduling on the part of the promoter or label because they likely didnt get the turnout or headlines that they were anticpating.

I wasn't knocking SLU. I just think it was bad scheduling by whomever booked the event because it was overshadowed by a bigger local draw the same night. Again I wasnt knocking SLU, I'm pretty sure they got their money upfront, it was bad scheduling on the part of the promoter or label because they likely didnt get the turnout or headlines that they were anticpating.

Plus, isn't the booking and management of Chaifetz Arena handled by Comcast's sports/entertainment venue management subsidiary?

Wait a second, you mean there weren't numerous shootings and muggings and riots? People actually made it out of the concert alive? I thought that's what Bonwich and the rest of the old white men crew were expecting. How shocking that they were wrong.

Actually my friend Josh went to the concert and on the way back to his car after the concert he was stopped and the guy demanded his wallet(he had a real small knife), my friend just took off running toward campus away from his car. It was probably just a bum and not someone from the concert. There better be ample secruity where these parking lots are during the basketball games because it could get ugly.

Actually my friend Josh went to the concert and on the way back to his car after the concert he was stopped and the guy demanded his wallet(he had a real small knife), my friend just took off running toward campus away from his car. It was probably just a bum and not someone from the concert. There better be ample secruity where these parking lots are during the basketball games because it could get ugly.

Josh needs to man up. Everybody knows how easy it is to roundhouse kick a knife out of an assailant's hand. If you time it right you can kick the knife 200 feet away. Sheesh...

Josh needs to man up. Everybody knows how easy it is to roundhouse kick a knife out of an assailant's hand. If you time it right you can kick the knife 200 feet away. Sheesh...

I agree, I gave him ###### about it. You know the age of most of the crowd at the basketball games, can you imagine if this happened to one of them. The bum would of sliced them up.

I agree, I gave him ###### about it. You know the age of most of the crowd at the basketball games, can you imagine if this happened to one of them. The bum would of sliced them up.

The person would have dropped dead from a heart attack before he ever got to cutting them.

Wait a second, you mean there weren't numerous shootings and muggings and riots? People actually made it out of the concert alive? I thought that's what Bonwich and the rest of the old white men crew were expecting. How shocking that they were wrong.

From the RFT review, which I can guarantee you wasn't done by one of my fellow old white men:

Don’t get me wrong, on the whole the show was good. No one got shot, the atmosphere when Wayne took the stage was downright electric and the setlist left nothing to be desired, especially after the Birdman took the stage for “Stuntin’ Like My Daddy” (a personal favorite) and “Pop Bottles.” (italics added)

Lil Wayne also commented during the show about the visible presence of the 5-0, so perhaps the U or the management company actually did beef up security, which I believe was one of the points I raised in the earlier posts.

In any event, I'd love to hear the discussion at the next Board of Trustees meeting.

Joe Adorjan: "I'm a little troubled here. The University mission statement says that we strive continuously to seek means to build upon our Catholic, Jesuit identity, and to promote activities which apply that intellectual and ethical heritage to work for the good of society as a whole. Does hosting a Lil Wayne concert match that public statement?"

The Rev. Biondi: "Hey, we gotta pay the rent on the place."

Oh, yeah, I forgot. "I tell tha ***** go an get my name on her spine, so i can feel good when im hittin it from behind" is simply "All you need is love" in the modern oeuvre. My mistake.

From the RFT review, which I can guarantee you wasn't done by one of my fellow old white men:

Lil Wayne also commented during the show about the visible presence of the 5-0, so perhaps the U or the management company actually did beef up security, which I believe was one of the points I raised in the earlier posts.

In any event, I'd love to hear the discussion at the next Board of Trustees meeting.

Joe Adorjan: "I'm a little troubled here. The University mission statement says that we strive continuously to seek means to build upon our Catholic, Jesuit identity, and to promote activities which apply that intellectual and ethical heritage to work for the good of society as a whole. Does hosting a Lil Wayne concert match that public statement?"

Oh, yeah, I forgot. "I tell tha ***** go an get my name on her spine, so i can feel good when im hittin it from behind" is simply "All you need is love" in the modern oeuvre. My mistake.

The student newspaper reported 8 car thefts in and around campus for the month of August. There were complaints regarding security and it appears to have been beefed up. The area is patrolled by the SLU security team, the St. Louis Police, and to the immediate north by a St. Louis Arts Center security team. The paper also reported an armed happening @ Laclede Lofts. However, many people visit the Fox and STL orchestra. The area seems relatively safe, but you should be cautious especially if you are alone. One of the car thefts was from the SLU garage on Laclede.

The student newspaper reported 8 car thefts in and around campus for the month of August. There were complaints regarding security and it appears to have been beefed up. The area is patrolled by the SLU security team, the St. Louis Police, and to the immediate north by a St. Louis Arts Center security team. The paper also reported an armed happening @ Laclede Lofts. However, many people visit the Fox and STL orchestra. The area seems relatively safe, but you should be cautious especially if you are alone. One of the car thefts was from the SLU garage on Laclede.

In my time at SLU you regularly walked over broken glass from car windows any time you walked down Laclede or West Pine, west of Spring. That's how it went. I can't imagine things are worse around campus now then they were back then. The crowds for games will bring a lot of cars to campus, but probably not many more than on any typical day of classes.

Oh, yeah, I forgot. "I tell tha ***** go an get my name on her spine, so i can feel good when im hittin it from behind" is simply "All you need is love" in the modern oeuvre.

I actually managed to work that into my wedding vow. What a beautiful, and crunk, ceremony it was.

SLU is in the business of selling education and making money. If you are going to ban Lil Wayne from playing, you might as well cut a lot of the stuff that goes on there. I highly doubt having inebreated boosters cussing at referees during bball games is one of those "activities which apply that intellectual and ethical heritage to work for the good of society as a whole" that the mission statement mentions. Of course, you would be forced to look in the mirror then.

SLU is in the business of selling education and making money. If you are going to ban Lil Wayne from playing, you might as well cut a lot of the stuff that goes on there. I highly doubt having inebreated boosters cussing at referees during bball games is one of those "activities which apply that intellectual and ethical heritage to work for the good of society as a whole" that the mission statement mentions. Of course, you would be forced to look in the mirror then.

I see your fine Jesuit education, if you got one, didn't include the definition of a not-for-profit institution. Nor, apparently, did it include any grounding in the foundations of the "Jesuit traditions" the Univeristy touts when "selling" its education.

As for looking in the mirror, I don't drink before, at or after games, nor would any reasonable observer call me a "booster."

Having no standards at all is not a valid substitute for being able to distinguish the standards the U's own policies and public statements have set forth.

(Related question for any students or U community members on the board: Does the U still forbid X-rated movies from being shown on campus?)

I see your fine Jesuit education, if you got one, didn't include the definition of a not-for-profit institution. Nor, apparently, did it include any grounding in the foundations of the "Jesuit traditions" the Univeristy touts when "selling" its education.

You're naive.

As for looking in the mirror, I don't drink before, at or after games, nor would any reasonable observer call me a "booster."

I wasn't referring to you specifically. You're buddies on the board do. They "brag" about getting on the refs. I fail to recall your posts on here calling them out for failing to live up to the Catholic, Jesuit identity.

Having no standards at all is not a valid substitute for being able to distinguish the standards the U's own policies and public statements have set forth.

I'm sorry the University didn't consult you when they decided what acts would be appropriate to present at the new arena. I'm sure it was a mistake.

(Related question for any students or U community members on the board: Does the U still forbid X-rated movies from being shown on campus?)

You're naive.

I wasn't referring to you specifically. You're buddies on the board do. They "brag" about getting on the refs. I fail to recall your posts on here calling them out for failing to live up to the Catholic, Jesuit identity.

I'm sorry the University didn't consult you when they decided what acts would be appropriate to present at the new arena. I'm sure it was a mistake.

Which booster has bragged about being drunk and cussing out the refs? Maybe you're exagerating what has been said to make your point.

If this was a ban, it technically shouldn't exist anymore, as the "X" rating no longer exists. It was replaced by the MPAA in 1990 with NC-17. Because the rating was never trademarked, anyone can use it and it is now basically a marketing tool for adult films. Don't ask me why I know this, I'm just kind of a film buff.

I never heard of a ban like this on campus (which would be ridiculous for so many reasons). However, the BBC (Billiken Blockbuster Cinema), channel 22 on the cable that students get with on-campus housing, had films that it refused to run. I don't know what the specific reasons were for not playing certain films, but there were a number of films that were banned by whoever ran the station or the University itself. The BBC claimed to be student-run and took suggestions from students and occasionally released statements that it could not play some of the suggestions, such as the "American Pie" movies, but never said why. It's probably smart not to give a reason why because it is impossible to justify censoring films to an audience that is guaranteed to be above the minimum age to view them.