Mizzou's Schedule Might Be Worse

GMan Alum

How does Missouri get to schedule three exhibition games (SLU only has one because of its scrimmage with Memphis) and then get to play TWO D-2 opponents (Linclon & Mo. Southern)? Then there are some big grudge matches vs. Prairie View A&M, Chattanooga, Centenary and SIU-Edwardsville. I am sure their season ticket holders - who pay a lot higher annual fees than SLU fans - are just thrilled to see this crap. SLU's SOS in great compared to Mizzou's.

How does Missouri get to schedule three exhibition games (SLU only has one because of its scrimmage with Memphis) and then get to play TWO D-2 opponents (Linclon & Mo. Southern)? Then there are some big grudge matches vs. Prairie View A&M, Chattanooga, Centenary and SIU-Edwardsville. I am sure their season ticket holders - who pay a lot higher annual fees than SLU fans - are just thrilled to see this crap. SLU's SOS in great compared to Mizzou's.

i saw that as well gman, however dont forget mi$$ouri will get a substantially higher rpi bump just from playing in the big12 as compared to us playing in the a-10.

The exhibition games are considered a foreign exhibition because they're in Canada, so they are exempt. I think the new rule is that you can do one of these tours in place of playing exhibition games. A few years back ('02-'03, I think), SLU traveled to Europe and played some exhibition games in France. SLU still had exhibition games that year, and I think the Euro trip was actually over the summer.

As for the rest of the schedule, two DII teams, one transitional team (SIUE), and a lot of other garbage games- not very impressive. They are in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off and have XU in the first round, and that is a solid field. Assuming they lose to XU, they'll probably get Fairfield and the others in the losers bracket should be Chattanooga (could see them twice) and Seton Hall. If they win, though, that tournament will be a big RPI boost (Memphis, USC, and Va Tech round it out). Other than that, the games against Cal and Georgia are the only ones worth anything.

Mizzou will be an interesting team this year. I think their performance will say a lot about Anderson- and his chances of keeping his job. He has an easy schedule, now he needs to win some games. The problem with their roster (as explained to me by someone who follows them much more closely) is that their biggest talents are sort of wild cards. I'm still more intrigued by them this year than I have been in a while.

And they might also have fewer season ticket holders than SLU at this point. I only saw a couple TV games held there last year, but the crowds are better for the Friday night roller derby events at Cincinnati Gardens than they have been in Columbia.

The exhibition games are considered a foreign exhibition because they're in Canada, so they are exempt. I think the new rule is that you can do one of these tours in place of playing exhibition games. A few years back ('02-'03, I think), SLU traveled to Europe and played some exhibition games in France. SLU still had exhibition games that year, and I think the Euro trip was actually over the summer.

As for the rest of the schedule, two DII teams, one transitional team (SIUE), and a lot of other garbage games- not very impressive. They are in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off and have XU in the first round, and that is a solid field. Assuming they lose to XU, they'll probably get Fairfield and the others in the losers bracket should be Chattanooga (could see them twice) and Seton Hall. If they win, though, that tournament will be a big RPI boost (Memphis, USC, and Va Tech round it out). Other than that, the games against Cal and Georgia are the only ones worth anything.

Mizzou will be an interesting team this year. I think their performance will say a lot about Anderson- and his chances of keeping his job. He has an easy schedule, now he needs to win some games. The problem with their roster (as explained to me by someone who follows them much more closely) is that their biggest talents are sort of wild cards. I'm still more intrigued by them this year than I have been in a while.

And they might also have fewer season ticket holders than SLU at this point. I only saw a couple TV games held there last year, but the crowds are better for the Friday night roller derby events at Cincinnati Gardens than they have been in Columbia.

Has anyone compared how UAB has done since Ancderson left; he did wonders with that program and he seems to have inherited Quin Snyder's

luck with recruits not being team players or particularly good citizens while living in the fishbowl of a college town

I think you misread our schedule: the two games against Lincoln and Mo Southern are exhibitions, not regular season games. We are also playing a 3 game tournament in Canada this weekend.

Our schedule isn't as strong as I would like it to be, but the Puerto Rico field is stacked and we do at least play some major-conference teams in Illinois, Cal and Georgia. It doesn't really look a whole lot different than most teams' non-conference schedules. Even though you mention all the crappy teams we play, you have to remember that everybody schedules those types of games.

The thing that angers me, though- and this is what is angering SLU fans it seems- is the lack of marquee home games. The only big game we play at home is Cal and they aren't even that great. I also think MU and SLU have a tough time getting people to play them- our style of play scares opponents that aren't used to playing up-tempo basketball, and SLU has an established coach with Majerus which scares major-conference teams that have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Wasn't it Spain? Which led to Josh Fisher getting engaged to a Spanish girl and playing pro ball there. It's all a seamless web.

Both coaches face the same issue.....how to get a whole lot of young players integrated into their respective styles of play....MU is using Canada and the max number of exhibition games.....

SOS is no doubt impacted as they reach to find the right opponents early on.....

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but why do we care about mizzou's schedule?

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but why do we care about mizzou's schedule?

1. It is being used to show that SLU's schedule may not be as bad as this board seems to think.

2. It is being used, I think, to say that SLU should have scheduled more pre-season games.

By the way, according to the new rules, a team can only go overseas for exhibitions once every 4 or 5 years (can't remember exactly).

Wasn't it Spain? Which led to Josh Fisher getting engaged to a Spanish girl and playing pro ball there. It's all a seamless web.

It was actually France and Spain- I know they played one game in Nice for sure. And no, Josh had been with the Spanish woman (Patricia, now his wife) long before that trip.

1. It is being used to show that SLU's schedule may not be as bad as this board seems to think.

2. It is being used, I think, to say that SLU should have scheduled more pre-season games.

By the way, according to the new rules, a team can only go overseas for exhibitions once every 4 or 5 years (can't remember exactly).

I just get a little tired of the endless mizzou talk on here.

I just get a little tired of the endless mizzou talk on here.

Footes, I understand and partially agree with you, but considering that St. Louis is in Missouri and all of the St. Louis media bombards us with all things Mizzou, what can you expect? Do you think Louisville fans don't have to deal with Kentucky? Do Xavier, Miami, and Cincinnati fans get to avoid hearing about Ohio State? I could go on.

Besides, there aren't really that many threads that mention Mizzou.

I think Mizzou does have a more competitive non-conference schedule than SLU with the possibility of it being much tougher due to the quality of teams in the tournament in Puerto Rico. I think the big difference though is that when Mizzou gets to conference play they play teams like Kansas twice, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor. A team like SLU needs to schedule tougher because they are not going to be playing the big-time top #25 teams when they get to conference. BCS schools can schedule very differently than an A-10 team like SLU because they competition within the conference is so much greater.