Put today's Post in your Birdcage ...

Or let any other pet you have take a dump on it, because that's what it deserves. I guess the stringer they sent out to the DJ all star game was a recent grad of the Mizzou J-school, because that article should have been written for the student paper down in Crapville, er Columbia. What a joke! I didn't realize Mizzou was headed to the Big 12 championship in basketball this year; I'm glad the writer set me straight.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or let any other pet you have take a dump on it, because that's what it deserves. I guess the stringer they sent out to the DJ all star game was a recent grad of the Mizzou J-school, because that article should have been written for the student paper down in Crapville, er Columbia. What a joke! I didn't realize Mizzou was headed to the Big 12 championship in basketball this year; I'm glad the writer set me straight.

A quick google search of the author's name shows that he writes for the Missourian, a paper out of Columbia. The article was surely written for that paper so I don't blame the author. I blame the post for not sending their own writer or hiring Nate to do an article that covers the SLU, SIU and Mizzou players.

A quick google search of the author's name shows that he writes for the Missourian, a paper out of Columbia. The article was surely written for that paper so I don't blame the author. I blame the post for not sending their own writer or hiring Nate to do an article that covers the SLU, SIU and Mizzou players.

Sure looked like Tom Timmerman was sitting to Nate's left as both talked to Earl Austin at the press table.....

Seems the question would be better posed on stltoday.com

Guest BillikenReport

Sure looked like Tom Timmerman was sitting to Nate's left as both talked to Earl Austin at the press table.....

Tom is technically on vacation I believe, but he wrote something from the game on his blog and might write something else later. The guy who wrote the story in the paper is a summer intern who just graduated from Missouri grad school I believe. It wasn't supposed to be a story on the game as much as a story on the Mizzou recruits who were there. There was also a writer from the Columbia Daily Tribune.

There is more interest in Mizzou than other programs. That's why they get the coverage. Once you accept this, it will be easier to take.

There is more interest in Mizzou than other programs. That's why they get the coverage. Once you accept this, it will be easier to take.

This is the "Highlander" theory, for some reason prevalent in St. Louis. It ignores the fact that There Can Be More Than One.

For those of you who were bothered by that article, there's a new sheriff in town: Our new sports editor is Reid Laymance. I would hope that the SLU SID may also have weighed in on this to him, but I have my doubts.

This is the "Highlander" theory, for some reason prevalent in St. Louis. It ignores the fact that There Can Be More Than One.

For those of you who were bothered by that article, there's a new sheriff in town: Our new sports editor is Reid Laymance. I would hope that the SLU SID may also have weighed in on this to him, but I have my doubts.

The bigger question is, has Reid met Roy yet.................................

Is this the guy that will be replacing Watson? I thought it would be hard to find a bigger Tiger cheerleader than Watson, but this guy would surpass her. I look for to the continuing tradition of the Tiger beat writers claimimg every big time basketball prospect in the area is a lock for MU. Watson was really on top of the Griffey and Suggs recruiting.

Tom is technically on vacation I believe, but he wrote something from the game on his blog and might write something else later. The guy who wrote the story in the paper is a summer intern who just graduated from Missouri grad school I believe. It wasn't supposed to be a story on the game as much as a story on the Mizzou recruits who were there. There was also a writer from the Columbia Daily Tribune.

Thanks, Nate, for that explanation. I didn't have a problem with the content of the story. My beef was that, above the headline, the article was billed as a story about the DJCF all-star game, but no one other than Missouri recruits was covered. It should have been billed as a story about Missouri basketball.

Is this the guy that will be replacing Watson? I thought it would be hard to find a bigger Tiger cheerleader than Watson, but this guy would surpass her. I look for to the continuing tradition of the Tiger beat writers claimimg every big time basketball prospect in the area is a lock for MU. Watson was really on top of the Griffey and Suggs recruiting.

I wasn't aware that Graham Watson was leaving. I doubt that a summer intern would be taking over as beat writer.

I wasn't aware that Graham Watson was leaving. I doubt that a summer intern would be taking over as beat writer.

The article had the byline of a regular paper writer. It wasn't tagged "Specail to the Post-Dispatch".

I'm not sure what you want the SID to accomplish with your new Sports Editor. SLU and Mizzou will receive similar ammounts of coverage but the Tigers will probably get a bit more because they are the bigger program. It's not that difficult to figure out. Am I missing something?

I'm not sure what you want the SID to accomplish with your new Sports Editor. SLU and Mizzou will receive similar ammounts of coverage but the Tigers will probably get a bit more because they are the bigger program. It's not that difficult to figure out. Am I missing something?

Did you read the article Postcard? This wasn't just a little bit more coverage.

The bigger question is, has Reid met Roy yet.................................

not in person.

Did you read the article Postcard? This wasn't just a little bit more coverage.

I did. I agree that the byline was misleading. I kept waiting for a few bits about the SLU recruits and was disappointed when there were none. I guess that's what I mean that Mizzou will get a little more coverage than SLU. If there are 50 articles about SLU bball a year there are probably going to be 60 for Mizzou. It's just the nature of the beast.

I did. I agree that the byline was misleading. I kept waiting for a few bits about the SLU recruits and was disappointed when there were none. I guess that's what I mean that Mizzou will get a little more coverage than SLU. If there are 50 articles about SLU bball a year there are probably going to be 60 for Mizzou. It's just the nature of the beast.

if you want to accept that that is your decision. i think there are plenty of us that believe that slu should be the main team of the ST LOUIS post dispatch. now if they change the name of the paper to the COLUMBIA post dispatch or even the TWO STATE AREA post dispatch, then maybe it is a little more understandable.

i hope chris may is more proactive in trying to change the relationship and understanding of st louis media towards saint louis university.

if you want to accept that that is your decision. i think there are plenty of us that believe that slu should be the main team of the ST LOUIS post dispatch. now if they change the name of the paper to the COLUMBIA post dispatch or even the TWO STATE AREA post dispatch, then maybe it is a little more understandable.

i hope chris may is more proactive in trying to change the relationship and understanding of st louis media towards saint louis university.

Should UMSL get more coverage than SLU? There are more UMSL grads in St. Louis than SLU. We've been through this many times. There is more interest in Mizzou than SLU in this area. That is why they get more coverage. Why does the paper cover the University of Illinois? It's not the Illinois Post Dispatch? You haven't really made a case for SLU warranting more coverage. Just because St. Louis is the name of the paper doesn't cut it. Keep trying.

Should UMSL get more coverage than SLU? There are more UMSL grads in St. Louis than SLU. We've been through this many times. There is more interest in Mizzou than SLU in this area. That is why they get more coverage. Why does the paper cover the University of Illinois? It's not the Illinois Post Dispatch? You haven't really made a case for SLU warranting more coverage. Just because St. Louis is the name of the paper doesn't cut it. Keep trying.

if umsl was a division one school then yes. the fact they play on a lower level puts them behind slu.

mi$$ouri gets the coverage because the paper is biased towards them. period.

and since you brought up the illini, if it is a matter of the post believing they are some sort of regional paper, then the illini should indeed get as much coverage as missouri. they dont. they get some, but the illini probably takes third place in coverage in most years even behind slu.

i will say though, you are some billiken fan. :blink:

In this particular case, if a paper from St. Louis, sends a reporter to an all-star game that is in St. Louis, featuring several recruits that are attending Saint Louis University, I think some coverage would be mandatory. Let's forget the SLU vs. Mizzou thing. How about just good journalism? Do three recruits attending the only local D-1 school not count for news? I don't care who you are, that warrants a few sentences.

I agree with you with the "50 for SLU, 60 for Mizzou" theory. Mizzou is the state school. They have more alumni than SLU. They have a very large contingency in the PD coverage area. But again, what about reporting real news? I did not see one single article in the paper regarding the A-10 hiring a new commissioner (we got a linked article to ESPN). Maybe a quote from AD May?! Shouldn't that be in there somewhere? I haven't seen a single article about any possible TV deals....a very hot topic for SLU fans. I haven't seen a single interview with an incoming recruit. I haven't seen a single article speculating on the new assitant. No articles regarding our coach or how the summer is going. Nothing.

Again, SLU needs to earn more coverage. But there is a difference betweening earning the front page and reporting some news. Is that not the purpose of the paper? I'm not asking for much, but the last SLU article is dated 4/17/2008. Can you honestly say that is acceptable....from a business, fan, or sales standpoint?

if umsl was a division one school then yes. the fact they play on a lower level puts them behind slu.

mi$$ouri gets the coverage because the paper is biased towards them. period.

and since you brought up the illini, if it is a matter of the post believing they are some sort of regional paper, then the illini should indeed get as much coverage as missouri. they dont. they get some, but the illini probably takes third place in coverage in most years even behind slu.

i will say though, you are some billiken fan. :blink:

Are you really this dumb? So please explain your logic to me. SLU should get the most coverage because they're the only D1 one school in St. Louis even though the PD is a regional paper. You really haven't made a case for more SLU coverage other than St. Louis is in the name or our local paper. Please, I'm trying to give you the opportunity to explain to me in a rational way why SLU should get more coverage that MIZZOU.

Mizzou which is the state school and has more fans and grads in the area but should get less coverage because they're located in Columbia.

UMSL, which has the most alums in the area but apparently that doesn't matter because they're D2.

Illinois, SIUC and every other D1 program in the region should get equal coverage of Mizzou and SLU?

Do I have that about right?

In this particular case, if a paper from St. Louis, sends a reporter to an all-star game that is in St. Louis, featuring several recruits that are attending Saint Louis University, I think some coverage would be mandatory. Let's forget the SLU vs. Mizzou thing. How about just good journalism? Do three recruits attending the only local D-1 school not count for news? I don't care who you are, that warrants a few sentences.

I agree with you with the "50 for SLU, 60 for Mizzou" theory. Mizzou is the state school. They have more alumni than SLU. They have a very large contingency in the PD coverage area. But again, what about reporting real news? I did not see one single article in the paper regarding the A-10 hiring a new commissioner (we got a linked article to ESPN). Maybe a quote from AD May?! Shouldn't that be in there somewhere? I haven't seen a single article about any possible TV deals....a very hot topic for SLU fans. I haven't seen a single interview with an incoming recruit. I haven't seen a single article speculating on the new assitant. No articles regarding our coach or how the summer is going. Nothing.

Again, SLU needs to earn more coverage. But there is a difference betweening earning the front page and reporting some news. Is that not the purpose of the paper? I'm not asking for much, but the last SLU article is dated 4/17/2008. Can you honestly say that is acceptable....from a business, fan, or sales standpoint?

Wow. Somebody gets it. :blink:

BTW, Hicks is right. Graham Watson has resigned to take a job with ESPN to blog on college sports.

Wow. Somebody gets it. :blink:

BTW, Hicks is right. Graham Watson has resigned to take a job with ESPN to blog on college sports.

I can't argue with what Nashville's post. My guess would be there is little interest in local bball(SLU, MU, IU) in the summer months but that's just a guess and doesn't make it right.

Are you really this dumb? So please explain your logic to me. SLU should get the most coverage because they're the only D1 one school in St. Louis even though the PD is a regional paper. You really haven't made a case for more SLU coverage other than St. Louis is in the name or our local paper. Please, I'm trying to give you the opportunity to explain to me in a rational way why SLU should get more coverage that MIZZOU.

Mizzou which is the state school and has more fans and grads in the area but should get less coverage because they're located in Columbia.

UMSL, which has the most alums in the area but apparently that doesn't matter because they're D2.

Illinois, SIUC and every other D1 program in the region should get equal coverage of Mizzou and SLU?

Do I have that about right?

no i am not that dumb. i am a billiken fan that wants to fight for what we deserve unlike you who wants to just accept we arent deserving. imo that is pitiful. but we have come to expect that from your view point. (btw, where are your season ticket seats? i dont recall you answering steve's request for the billiken.com seating chart.)

yes, imo, mi$$ouri should not get equal coverage mainly because i think the post dispatch is dreaming if it thinks it is a true regional paper. it is a st louis paper that sells in the surrounding area but i bet in columbia it isnt the prevalent paper.

that said, if we would accept the regional angle, then yes, illinois, siuc, saint louis university and mi$$ouri should get equal coverage. not mi$$ouri getting the most followed by slu, illinois and siuc in that order as it is now.

Thanks, but actually I wasn't right. I thought I said, in response to someone else, that I wasn't aware that Watson was leaving. Even if she is (or since she is, now that an insider has confirmed it), I still can't imagine a summer intern would become the beat writer -- not with the Missouri football team about to embark on a quest for a national championship.

A job writing blogs is more lucrative than a job for a newspaper?

no i am not that dumb. i am a billiken fan that wants to fight for what we deserve unlike you who wants to just accept we arent deserving. imo that is pitiful. but we have come to expect that from your view point. (btw, where are your season ticket seats? i dont recall you answering steve's request for the billiken.com seating chart.)

yes, imo, mi$$ouri should not get equal coverage mainly because i think the post dispatch is dreaming if it thinks it is a true regional paper. it is a st louis paper that sells in the surrounding area but i bet in columbia it isnt the prevalent paper.

that said, if we would accept the regional angle, then yes, illinois, siuc, saint louis university and mi$$ouri should get equal coverage. not mi$$ouri getting the most followed by slu, illinois and siuc in that order as it is now.

Count me as one who thinks Missouri should get complete local coverage. They are a local team for St. Louis. You can keep on hating, but it won't change the fact. And I still root for SLU a bit more than Missouri.

Also, I don't think your order is correct. Illinois gets more coverage than SLU, and SIU is quickly gaining on SLU. Also, I'm surprised we don't know what Tyler Hansbrough had for lunch this afternoon! :blink: