Local Prospects

I was curious who some of the prospects are in the upcoming classes from the area. Who are the local guys that we should be hoping to see in a Billiken uniform down the road?

I know Griffey has been a highly coveted prospect since he was in 8th grade, but he has verballed to Illinois. I have also heard people mention Bryant Allen from Maplewood. If he chooses to play basketball I would like our chances with him and would love to see him in Billiken blue. It is just hard for me to see a St. Louis kid who could play football at Mizzou or basketball at a mid major take the latter.

I'll give you the list ofsome top prospects in the area's 2009 class. However its not an indication that these guys should be recruited by SLU and not all are D1 caliber and not listed in any particular order.

6'9 F Tyler Griffey- Lafayette HS

6'2 G Lonnie Boga-McCluer HS

6'10 C Will Clark- Rockwood Summit HS

6'1 G Sean Duff- Westminster HS

5'11 PG Ben Hoener-Parkway South HS

5'9 PG Dwayne Hamiel- Lovejoy HS

6'1 G DJ Wallace- Berkeley HS

6'9 C Gavin Wiss- Ft Zumwalt West HS

6'6 F Jerome Jones- Career Academy HS

6'6 F Cody Sorenson-Howell HS

6'6 PG Britton Schlotz-Kirkwood HS

There aren't any local players left on the board in the 2009 or 2010 class that scream high major or even borderline high major outside of Bryant Allen. Lots of tweeners, project big men, smallish guards without lightning quickness and solid players that don't really stand up when lined up side by side with their peers nationally. I'd cite Nathan Scheer from Borgia in the 2010 class as a prime example: a 6'3 guard who is a solid athlete, handles it OK and shoots it well. Obvious D-1 recruit but not somebody that will gets lots of stars next to his name unless he grows a couple of inches.

Gavin Wiss, a 6'9 big man from Fort Zumwalt West in the 2009 class would fall in the project big man category due to his limited offensive ability as well as 2010 Ryan Pierson who has a nice 6'9 frame but doesn't play very big. Cody Sorenson, a 6'5 forward from the 2009 class, is a good athlete with legitimate range out to the three but has spent his Francis Howell career playing inside. He's the type of guy who could really develop into something if he goes to a mid-major where he can play right away. Jerome Jones, a 2009 PF from Career Academy, is your classic 6'5 St. Louis tweener with small forward size but dominates local competition with his jumping jack inside play.

My personal favorite player in 2010 is 6'2 Gerald Jones, the son of the Berkeley coach of the same name. Plays very big at 6'2, can handle the rock and get to the basket and defend. Isn't a good shooter outside of 15 feet though which puts him solidly in the mid-major recruit category until either his shot or height improves.

What about local kids at a juco right now that are originally from the area that will be available in 2009 or 2010? Leon and...?

Leon would look great in a Billiken uni. I guess it will depend on what he is majoring in and if he is intrested in SLU. STLHI probably has the scoop on that info.

Guest BillikenReport

I think Wiss would be a good fit for SLU as a guy who could blossom in a few years under Majerus.

- Nate

There aren't any local players left on the board in the 2009 or 2010 class that scream high major or even borderline high major outside of Bryant Allen. Lots of tweeners, project big men, smallish guards without lightning quickness and solid players that don't really stand up when lined up side by side with their peers nationally. I'd cite Nathan Scheer from Borgia in the 2010 class as a prime example: a 6'3 guard who is a solid athlete, handles it OK and shoots it well. Obvious D-1 recruit but not somebody that will gets lots of stars next to his name unless he grows a couple of inches.

Gavin Wiss, a 6'9 big man from Fort Zumwalt West in the 2009 class would fall in the project big man category due to his limited offensive ability as well as 2010 Ryan Pierson who has a nice 6'9 frame but doesn't play very big. Cody Sorenson, a 6'5 forward from the 2009 class, is a good athlete with legitimate range out to the three but has spent his Francis Howell career playing inside. He's the type of guy who could really develop into something if he goes to a mid-major where he can play right away. Jerome Jones, a 2009 PF from Career Academy, is your classic 6'5 St. Louis tweener with small forward size but dominates local competition with his jumping jack inside play.

My personal favorite player in 2010 is 6'2 Gerald Jones, the son of the Berkeley coach of the same name. Plays very big at 6'2, can handle the rock and get to the basket and defend. Isn't a good shooter outside of 15 feet though which puts him solidly in the mid-major recruit category until either his shot or height improves.

I think you're downplaying Wiss. If you want to call his offensive ability limited, you might want to compare it to a couple of kids that were seniors and high-major prospects this year, John Brandenburg and Anthony Booker. Wiss averaged 15ppg, 13rpg, and 5bpg. Brandenburg averaged 13ppg, 7rpg, and 3bpg and Booker averaged 14ppg, 9rpg, and 2bpg. Those players were seniors and Wiss was a junior. Wiss had a 30pt, 21reb, 9blk outing against Parkway Central's 6'11 big man.

Also in 2010, Dwyer is a prospect to watch. He's 6'7 and can play the 1-4 positions. He just changed AAU teams, and is now playing the wing, so I'm looking for his play to take off. 2010 has a lot of guys I like. Scott Pohle, Nathan Scheer, Marquise Hill, Alex Rudd, Maurice Burns, Tyler Ressel, Eric Clark and TJ Brown just to name a few. Also Nino Williams has reclassified to 2011 and is really playing well on the AAU circuit. He's now a 6'5 wing. He has a chance to be something special. Hill is a pretty strong football prospect thought.

Guest BillikenReport

I think you're downplaying Wiss. If you want to call his offensive ability limited, you might want to compare it to a couple of kids that were seniors and high-major prospects this year, John Brandenburg and Anthony Booker. Wiss averaged 15ppg, 13rpg, and 5bpg. Brandenburg averaged 13ppg, 7rpg, and 3bpg and Booker averaged 14ppg, 9rpg, and 2bpg. Those players were seniors and Wiss was a junior. Wiss had a 30pt, 21reb, 9blk outing against Parkway Central's 6'11 big man.

... Also Nino Williams has reclassified to 2011 and is really playing well on the AAU circuit. He's now a 6'5 wing. He has a chance to be something special.

V,

Those stats mean nothing. Wiss can't do the things Brandenburg and Booker can. He might be able to in the future, but his stats this year don't mean he's better than those guys. I've talked to coaches about Wiss and no one seems sold he's a solid D-1 prospect. I think he is, but others don't.

How does Williams become a 2011 kid when he should be a junior or senior in high school? Will he be 20 when he's a senior?

I've talked to some D1 coaches about Wiss as well and he's a D1 prospect for sure. I didnt say he was better than them, I'm saying he's not offensively limited as someone suggested earlier. This was supposed to be Williams sophomore year, but when he left Milestone he became a freshman again. He plays for the Spiece Mo-Kan Elite 15's. Here's a link to his performance in a recent tournament http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/750732.html (April 28th

Here's a link that can reached from billikenreport.com, http://saintlouis.scout.com/a.z?s=437&p=2&c=752595 (May 5th)

PS, the name is STL HOOPS INSIDER

I've talked to some D1 coaches about Wiss as well and he's a D1 prospect for sure. I didnt say he was better than them, I'm saying he's not offensively limited as someone suggested earlier. This was supposed to be Williams sophomore year, but when he left Milestone he became a freshman again. He plays for the Spiece Mo-Kan Elite 15's. Here's a link to his performance in a recent tournament http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/750732.html (April 28th

Here's a link that can reached from billikenreport.com, http://saintlouis.scout.com/a.z?s=437&p=2&c=752595 (May 5th)

PS, the name is STL HOOPS INSIDER

v, what is the level of competition Wiss plays against? Are his offensive #'s inflated by poor competition?

v, what is the level of competition Wiss plays against? Are his offensive #'s inflated by poor competition?

Again, its STL HOOPS INSIDER or STLHI. To answer your question, he played a lot of the best competition in the area. They played Class 4 runner-up St. Charles West this year, they played Class 3 state champs Maplewood, in addition to Desmet, Marquette, McCluer, Ft Zumwalt South (twice), and Troy.

Again, its STL HOOPS INSIDER or STLHI. To answer your question, he played a lot of the best competition in the area. They played Class 4 runner-up St. Charles West this year, they played Class 3 state champs Maplewood, in addition to Desmet, Marquette, McCluer, Ft Zumwalt South (twice), and Troy.

What does it matter? Neither is your real name.

I'll give you the list ofsome top prospects in the area's 2009 class. However its not an indication that these guys should be recruited by SLU and not all are D1 caliber and not listed in any particular order.

Thanks for the list. Can you give us a bit of info on each and what type of school you think they'll end up playing at ie ... Tyler Griffey High D1, Lonnie Boga Low Mid major. Thanks

thanks v.

I think you're downplaying Wiss. If you want to call his offensive ability limited, you might want to compare it to a couple of kids that were seniors and high-major prospects this year, John Brandenburg and Anthony Booker. Wiss averaged 15ppg, 13rpg, and 5bpg. Brandenburg averaged 13ppg, 7rpg, and 3bpg and Booker averaged 14ppg, 9rpg, and 2bpg. Those players were seniors and Wiss was a junior.

Booker was a late bloomer on a team where he had to share the ball with two other talented offensive players. I agree that Brandenburg is also limited offensively but he's significantly quicker and thicker than Wiss. In an era of dwindling big men high major programs are willing to take a flyer on guys who at least pass the look test.

Thanks for the list. Can you give us a bit of info on each and what type of school you think they'll end up playing at ie ... Tyler Griffey High D1, Lonnie Boga Low Mid major. Thanks

Tyler Griffey- High-major

Lonnie Boga-Low-Mid-major

Will Clark-Low-Mid major

Sean Duff-Low-Mid major

Ben Hoener-Low-Mid major

Dwayne Hamiel- D2-Low major

DJ Wallace-D2- Low-major

Gavin Wiss-Mid-major, possible high-major

Jerome Jones- Low-mid major

Cody Sorenson- Low-Mid major

Britton Schlotz-D2-Ivy League

Booker was a late bloomer on a team where he had to share the ball with two other talented offensive players. I agree that Brandenburg is also limited offensively but he's significantly quicker and thicker than Wiss. In an era of dwindling big men high major programs are willing to take a flyer on guys who at least pass the look test.

But you have to think about the fact that neither of them reached the scoring, rebouding or block shot numbers that he did this year in their careers. He even had a 30, 20, 9 game. He's a different player. Those guys are great players and I'm not knocking them to boost him, they are both great players and I'm not even making an argument that he's better than them, just stating my case that he can really, really play.

Guest BillikenReport

But you have to think about the fact that neither of them reached the scoring, rebouding or block shot numbers that he did this year in their careers. He even had a 30, 20, 9 game. He's a different player. Those guys are great players and I'm not knocking them to boost him, they are both great players and I'm not even making an argument that he's better than them, just stating my case that he can really, really play.

Are you representing him?

There's a paradigm shift by V/SLHI. TWo years ago he would have said SLU should go after them all. Why isn't Bryant Allen on the list?

Bryant Allen is defintely a big prospect. He wasnt left off intentionally, I said I would name some prospects, not all.

Good choices V (or STL Hoops Insider).....I'd add these guys should be watched too.....

Class of 2009

6' 7" PF Will Kirksey (Lafayette)....probably a mid major....but a strong rebounder...physical player...

6' 8" PF Mike Hoffman (Gibault)....nice all around game

6' 10" PF Will Clark (Summit).....maybe a step slow...

(and I wish Parkway West's Jerry Pankey could play the way he does.....but just be 8 inches taller)

Class 2010

6' 7" PF Nick Droege (CBC)...may be a tweener

6' 2" SG McPhearson "Mac" Moore (MICDS)....fearless...great shooter...

6' 10" C Meyers Leonard (Robinson IL) ....local AAU player....a definite project...but he's geting looks from high D1s

Scott Pohle (Parkway South) will probably play baseball at the next level...and I think you will see Marquis Hill (Trinity) put the pads on Saturdays....perhaps in Columbia, certainly at a BCS school......JMHO

Time to get out of the box of the Metro area and look state wide.....

I'd look hard at Sikeston's 6'6" Mike Porter,

Se Mo's Kona Ealy who plays for the Eagles (but another possible BCS football recruit in 2010)

6'8" Jordan Dressler (2009) from Columbia Rock Bridge.....he is former DeSmet star Mark Dressler's son.....

KC area is loaded .....with more than Nino Williams and Mike Dixon for 2009 & 2010

I appreciate the list, I really do, and you probably were simply typing off the top of your head, but you say all are not D1 caliber in one post and then proceed to list everyone of them as a potential D1 player in a later post (to be fair, 2 were D2-low 'major').

One question (to anyone) - over the past few years, how many local St Louis players actually go D1 each year?

I appreciate the list, I really do, and you probably were simply typing off the top of your head, but you say all are not D1 caliber in one post and then proceed to list everyone of them as a potential D1 player in a later post (to be fair, 2 were D2-low 'major').

One question (to anyone) - over the past few years, how many local St Louis players actually go D1 each year?

I also listed some of them as potential D2 players. I gave a range, not a specific classification.

Good choices V (or STL Hoops Insider).....I'd add these guys should be watched too.....

Class of 2009

6' 7" PF Will Kirksey (Lafayette)....probably a mid major....but a strong rebounder...physical player...

6' 8" PF Mike Hoffman (Gibault)....nice all around game

6' 10" PF Will Clark (Summit).....maybe a step slow...

(and I wish Parkway West's Jerry Pankey could play the way he does.....but just be 8 inches taller)

Class 2010

6' 7" PF Nick Droege (CBC)...may be a tweener

6' 2" SG McPhearson "Mac" Moore (MICDS)....fearless...great shooter...

6' 10" C Meyers Leonard (Robinson IL) ....local AAU player....a definite project...but he's geting looks from high D1s

Scott Pohle (Parkway South) will probably play baseball at the next level...and I think you will see Marquis Hill (Trinity) put the pads on Saturdays....perhaps in Columbia, certainly at a BCS school......JMHO

Time to get out of the box of the Metro area and look state wide.....

I'd look hard at Sikeston's 6'6" Mike Porter,

Se Mo's Kona Ealy who plays for the Eagles (but another possible BCS football recruit in 2010)

6'8" Jordan Dressler (2009) from Columbia Rock Bridge.....he is former DeSmet star Mark Dressler's son.....

KC area is loaded .....with more than Nino Williams and Mike Dixon for 2009 & 2010

Earl recently wrote a column on how some of the local AAU teams faired.

http://stlamerican.com/articles/2008/05/17...ts/sports05.txt

The St. Louis Eagles’ 15-and-under basketball team won the championship of the St. Louis Eagles Tournament in the 16-and-under division this weekend in Columbia. Standout freshman Bradley Beal of Chaminade was chosen the Most Valuable Player of the Tournament. The members of the team are Beal, Shaquille Boga (McCluer), Phil Kunz, Jr. (Wesclin), Roosevelt Jones (O’Fallon), Dantiel Daniels (Holt), B.J. Young (Hazelwood Central), Connor Wheeler (Cardondale), Javier Duren (Oakville), Charles Joy (O’Fallon), Calvin Belts (Maplewood) and Ben McLemore (Wellston).

The Gateway Basketball Club 16-and-under team won the championship of the Gold Division of the Adidas May Classic in Bloomington, Ind. The team members are Tim Cooney (SLUH), Ryan Pierson (CBC), Cory McArthy (CBC), Donald Shumpert (Hazelwood East), Patrick Sodeman (Parkway West), McPherson Moore (MICDS), Maurice Burns (Whitfield), Terrance Brown (Crossroads), Mike Messner (Lafayette), Tyler Ressel (Borgia), Nathan Scheer (Borgia) and William Triggs (Edwardsville). Gateway’s 15-and-under team advanced to the championship game of their division, where they lost to the Indiana Elite 59-54. The team members are Zach Boerboom (Cape Central), Lamar Colvin (Parkway North), Alex Doss (Lutheran North), Terron Johnson (McCluer North), Ryan Kleffler (Bernie), James Robinson (McCluer North), Chris Thomas (Clayton), Jacob Tolbert (Cape Notre Dame), Tony King (Mplewood) and Jordan Wilson (Hazelwood Central).

And speaking of Nino Williams and Whitfield guard Maurice Burns made the top to 20 game of a prestigious camp earlier this year.

http://www.fullctpress.net/page/page/5131618.htm

Maurice Burns 6’2” 2010 Whitfield (Black Jack MO)

"Strong and physical guard plays excellent defense and is a leader/communicator on the floor. Excellent student (3.8 GPA)."

Nino Williams 6’6” 2010 Milestone Academy (Kansas City MO)

Athletic and active combo-forward makes plays at both ends. As his perimeter skills continue to develop, Williams’ value should soar and make him the object of loads of D-I attention."

Marquise Hill is the cousin of one of MU's top recruiting targets, Ronnie Wingo of SLUH, so he might end up in Columbia.

Another state-wide player to check out would be Jay Lee of Glasgow HS http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZM32OafxkkA

Jayme Donnelly of Linn HS is also a player to watch